Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 19, 2019, 8:14pm
....I saw my adopted team, Auchinleck Talbot knock Championship high flyers Ayr United out of the Scottish Cup - the biggest such upset since Berwick Rangers beat Rangers in 1967.

Our first ever all ticket match for the local derby - Ayr are only 14 miles away - saw a sell out 3,100 crowd. We scored the only goal of the game with just twelve minutes left, cue pandemonium.

Decent draw tomorrow....please...could see us pitted against Celtic or Rangers, the stuff of dreams. Would take either of them at home and enjoy the replay up in Glasgow. ;)
Posted by: Mallyner, January 19, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 1
Thank you jock.

Having seen you keep mentioning Talbot I had a pound on them today to.win and won £12.
Up the Mariners and up the Talbot.  ;)
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 19, 2019, 8:31pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from jock dock tower
....I saw my adopted team, Auchinleck Talbot knock Championship high flyers Ayr United out of the Scottish Cup - the biggest such upset since Berwick Rangers beat Rangers in 1967.

Our first ever all ticket match for the local derby - Ayr are only 14 miles away - saw a sell out 3,100 crowd. We scored the only goal of the game with just twelve minutes left, cue pandemonium.

Decent draw tomorrow....please...could see us pitted against Celtic or Rangers, the stuff of dreams. Would take either of them at home and enjoy the replay up in Glasgow. ;)

Up the Jock Mariners

Posted by: grimsby pete, January 19, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 3
I saw the result John and thought of you  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 19, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from jock dock tower

I hope you get one of the Old Firm mate.

Maybe as a pre season warm up we should do a 4 way tournament thing with Town, Cleethorpes,  Auchinleck and Alast?
Posted by: RichMariner, January 19, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 5
Congratulations!

A little while ago you posted on here to say the margins of defeat between the pros and juniors in Scotland aren't that big.

I saw the odds on Talbot winning last night and was tempted to chuck a few quid on the win.

Then I forgot it was an early kick-off, got distracted by Town's game at Lincoln, forgot to put my money on and, well...
Posted by: Alfie, January 19, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 6
Just me who couldn’t care less?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 19, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 7
It was on live on BBC Scotland. Was going to watch it but i forgot.  :B
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 19, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
I saw the result John and thought of you  ;)

I did
Posted by: cardiffmariner, January 19, 2019, 10:32pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Alfie
Just me who couldn’t care less?

Appears so you miserable barsteward.
Posted by: BarkerDan10, January 20, 2019, 12:37am; Reply: 10
Fantastic result, I follow the West of Scotland league due to my dad living in Largs, not too far from Largs Thistle’s ground and it’s a fantastic result not just for Auchinleck but for football in Ayrshire and the junior football scene in Scotland as a whole.
Posted by: lukeo, January 20, 2019, 8:40am; Reply: 11
Love an underdog win, well done.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 20, 2019, 8:40am; Reply: 12
Saw the goal on the news this morning. Was that you in the butcher's coat Jock?  ;)
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, January 20, 2019, 8:42am; Reply: 13
Watched the game - thought you easily deserved the win and was impressed with the standard of play. Good luck in the next round!
Posted by: Paris Mariner, January 20, 2019, 12:04pm; Reply: 14
I saw this on the Scottish Cup highlights on Sportscene this morning. Well done. Hibs went through too  :)
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 20, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 15
It was a superb day all round. I only got back from Tenerife at 9pm the night before and quickly reactivated the Paddy Power account I last used during the 2016 Olympics and got £20 on at 14/1. There was a huge disparity between what Power, Bet 365 (both at 14/1) and the other bookies though, with Hills only offering 8/1 on the day.

Draw for the ext round after the Hearts vs Livingston tie this afternoon. Am starting to shake....
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, January 20, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 16
Hopefully you draw Celtic and rout them!
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), January 20, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 17
Hearts next round away. :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 20, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 18
That’s a fantastic draw for them
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 20, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 19
It is for Hearts funnily enough because we'll have a huge away support with us.

We've got unfinished business there. We played them in the Cup in 2011-12 and they scored in the 84th minute to take the lead and we had an equalising goal wrongly chalked off for offside in the 94th minute. When the draw was made for the game the Hearts club secretary was quoted in the press the next day saying that the club were very pleased with the draw because only the Old Firm or Hibs would have taken a bigger support to Tynecastle! We had about 2,700 - 2,800 there on the day and I hope we can add another 50% on top of that given the exposure we've had.

We made about £40k from that game and it was wisely invested in two new players, but more importantly in the infrastructure. We won the next four Super League titles on the back of that cash.

Yesterday we made £32k from the BBC, plus the crowd takings. We spent £12k of that before getting it on frost free covers for the pitch. If the game had been postponed we'd not get anything from them, so we've again invested in our infrastructure for the future. We're bound to be on the BEEB again, being the only non league club left in the competition, and the back story of our previous tie with Hearts, and I assume that'll be in the region of £45 - £50k for us. Without benign loans to pay off ;) everything will be spent on the club and it will keep us going financially for the next five or six years.

When the club asked for help from supporters yesterday morning to help take off the covers over 70 folk turned up at 7am to do so. It's that kind of club. We're going to attract a lot more media coverage and again that's only going to b beneficial to the club. BTW, bar the players and management of the club there are no paid employees, everyone does their job voluntarily. Our committee have folk with 30 plus years service on it, and that's the real secret of our success - every penny we get automatically goes back into the club.

Think the game will be moved to the Sunday as Scotland host Ireland in the 6 Nations at Murrayfield on the Saturday and Hearts never play at home when Scotland are playing there due to the close proximity of both stadia.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:29am