Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 8, 2019, 10:19am

No surprise.........

"Grimsby Town Football Club can confirm that striker, JJ Hooper has extended his loan spell at National League side, Bromley until 30th April."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/hooper-extends-loan-at-bromley/
Posted by: Heisenberg, January 8, 2019, 10:29am; Reply: 1
Good on the lad, that's some form, that is.  I hope there's a recall clause, just in case.  I'm like some, I still think there's a player in there.  He's the typical sort of player who if he was on the opposition team he'd cause us problems.  Personally I hope he proves himself there and comes back here to fight for his place, but there's plenty who disagree.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 8, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 2
Half season loans like this can't be recalled, I think.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 8, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 3
Lads found his level.

Good luck to him.
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 8, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 4
Back in time for the playoffs? 😉
Posted by: livosnose, January 8, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 5
5 goals in 6 is a cracking return !
Posted by: pizzzza, January 8, 2019, 11:10am; Reply: 6
Quoted from livosnose
5 goals in 6 is a cracking return !

He has scored about the same as he scored for Town in 1 and a half seasons.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 8, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 7
don't think we will be seeing any more of j.j.  
got the feeling that jooley has given him enough chances and we will be moving on to bigger and better
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 8, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 8
Pleased he's having a good run. All the best to him.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 8, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 9
I dunno. I think if Hooper finishes the season strongly at Bromley, he may remain in Jolley's plans.

Jolley, as we've seen, has given younger players a chance. True, Hooper's form is often erratic but let's not forget he's scored a hat-trick for this club. Dead rubber or not, it was a good hat-trick.

This loan at Bromley might just be the making of him.

I know this will go down poorly, but Hooper's been at this club for the same length of time as Cardwell and he's contributed far more to the team in terms of goals.

I'm not knocking Cardwell at all, because he's played fewer games and missed pre-season (and I know there's more to football than sticking it in the net). Just mentioning it for discussion, that's all.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 8, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 10
Don't think he'll be back. Got talent but is inconsistent.

Good luck to him but i think his future is elsewhere and we can do better.
Posted by: Maringer, January 8, 2019, 12:49pm; Reply: 11
I can't see him returning, even if he scores a hatful of goals there.

For whatever reason, he just didn't kick on this season following his decent form at the tail end of last season. We signed him from a League One club so he's probably on a hefty whack as well. Good luck to him in the future.
Posted by: fiveallive, January 8, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't think he'll be back. Got talent but is inconsistent.

Good luck to him but i think his future is elsewhere and we can do better.

That's what we had to deal that for the 10 or so years since the league 2 and conference days most players at this level are inconsistent that's why there at this level.

I have to say I expected more from Hooper this season since his good form the last couple of months last season.

He's player that do excellent to earn a contract then once he earns it can go off the boil.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 8, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 13
Bye then

Not a loss at all in my eyes but wish him well for his remaining days in football
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 8, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg
Good on the lad, that's some form, that is.  I hope there's a recall clause, just in case.  I'm like some, I still think there's a player in there.  He's the typical sort of player who if he was on the opposition team he'd cause us problems.  Personally I hope he proves himself there and comes back here to fight for his place, but there's plenty who disagree.

Speaking to someone on the staff at Port Vale at the recent game there and they thought the same however he consistently played like he did here for many games with an attitude like he couldn't care less. That's why he was hated by a majority of Port Vale fans.

I would prefer someone with less ability if they ran their socks off for the team, so for me I wouldn't want him to return and the likelyhood that he would is very remote.  

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 8, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 15
Feel a bit for JJ...the lad seemed to have ability but lacked the motivation to perform at at his upmost week in and week out....
Most agreed there is a player in there but with the way Jolley wants to play he was becoming a passenger and getting left behind with the likes of Clifton, Vernhsm, Hess, Embleton all kicking on and, unlike JJ, never looking lazy...
As someone has already said, maybe at Bromley he has found his level where he can have success, just not a league 2 player for me...
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 8, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 16
He banged them in at non league level before he signed for Fale, didn't at league 1 level or league 2. Is scoring again now in non league, The loan simply shows his actual level, wish him luck in the future but no thanks to a return.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 8, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 17
Another example of a player from the South who could not adapt to living up North.
Posted by: toontown, January 8, 2019, 6:59pm; Reply: 18
Think he wont be back, not good enough for the football league on a consistent enough basis, but good luck to him at bromley. Better for him and us
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 8, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 19
Found his level, I had hoped he would of kicked on after ending last season quite strong but it didn't happen
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 8, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RichMariner
I dunno. I think if Hooper finishes the season strongly at Bromley, he may remain in Jolley's plans.

Jolley, as we've seen, has given younger players a chance. True, Hooper's form is often erratic but let's not forget he's scored a hat-trick for this club. Dead rubber or not, it was a good hat-trick.

This loan at Bromley might just be the making of him.

I know this will go down poorly, but Hooper's been at this club for the same length of time as Cardwell and he's contributed far more to the team in terms of goals.

I'm not knocking Cardwell at all, because he's played fewer games and missed pre-season (and I know there's more to football than sticking it in the net). Just mentioning it for discussion, that's all.

Cardwell works hard and works for the team, he will become a good player through sheer hard work.

Hooper has talent but is one of the laziest players I’ve ever seen. His laziness is the sole reason he finds himself in Non League and Cardwell finds himself in our first team.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 8, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 21
Shame to see him not deliver here and I too don't think he'll be back, I get the feeling that there is a player in there but he just doesn't have that desire to go for it, we don't want to be carrying passengers so thanks for your efforts and good luck at Bromley Hoops.
Posted by: chaos33, January 8, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 22
Good on him and long may it continue.
Bluntly,not good enough for a competitive L2 club IMO.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, January 9, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 23
He was dreadful when he played for us a few years back when on loan from Newcastle United.

How he got a Football League contract astonished me.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 9, 2019, 9:41am; Reply: 24
Never has the phrase 'found his level' been more apt. It's a saying that is sometimes used as a barbed comment but it's genuine here....if we were still stuck in the National League and Hooper had signed on loan and banged those goals in for us we'd be thrilled. We did sign players like that, always with a suspicion that they'd found their level and they'd be playing higher up if they were any better.
Don't think he fits into what MJ has planned but I am pleased for Hooper, back nearer home and scoring.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 9, 2019, 4:55pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RoboCod
Never has the phrase 'found his level' been more apt. It's a saying that is sometimes used as a barbed comment but it's genuine here....if we were still stuck in the National League and Hooper had signed on loan and banged those goals in for us we'd be thrilled. We did sign players like that, always with a suspicion that they'd found their level and they'd be playing higher up if they were any better.
Don't think he fits into what MJ has planned but I am pleased for Hooper, back nearer home and scoring.

I would be thrilled with any player who banged in the goals for us, problem is apart from FGR away he didn't here and really never looked like he would and apparently didn't look like it at Port Vale.
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 26
I wouldn't say he was lazy,  he put in a full shift helping the full back out-I think it was a lack of confidence thing
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 10, 2019, 3:55am; Reply: 27
Against sluggish lower league defenders, he will flourish against a much higher calibre of defender he wilts and loses confidence bet he is enjoying it much more good luck to him.

If one day Hooper really wants a higher level he might do it.

After bagging goals when we had secured league status I thought he would kick on but alas it was not to be but whilst he is under contract Jolley did see something in him.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:49pm