Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nutsy, January 3, 2019, 12:56pm
Pringle has been a class player for us recently, yet he isn't really getting the praise. He is good on corners, but he just needs more of a killer instinct.

Pringle - Thomas - Vernam

is working well, would still like to see Akheem played more.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 3, 2019, 1:11pm; Reply: 1
I have been dissapointed in Pringle of late. He can deliver a cross or a decent pass but too often isnt in the game, very slow lacks any sort of physicality. If thats what £6k pw gets you the worlds gone mad
Posted by: Davec, January 3, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Cloudy
I have been dissapointed in Pringle of late. He can deliver a cross or a decent pass but too often isnt in the game, very slow lacks any sort of physicality. If thats what £6k pw gets you the worlds gone mad

Surely we're not paying him 6k a week!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 3, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 3
His delivery and positioning are excellent but he lacks pace and several times a game gives the ball away due to being too slow in releasing the ball and doesn`t look much of a goal threat. Clearly gives his all though and very much a team player and that`s why I suspect he gets picked the other thing is not sure how fit he is in comparison to our other midfielders due to being frozen out at his parent club prior to joining Town?
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 3, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 4
As Pringle has got fitter we’ve got better, no co-incidence in my eyes.
Posted by: Tommy, January 3, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 5
Uses the ball well, intelligent player, good delivery into the box.

Out of possession he's not so useful though.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, January 3, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 6
His out of contract in the summer too
Posted by: sam gy, January 3, 2019, 1:55pm; Reply: 7
It's fair to say some games suit him better than others, but his quality is there for all to see and i'd have him in the team every game - clearly it took him a while to get up to speed after barely playing in the last few years. His passing is brilliant and he's the best corner taker we've had in God knows when.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 3, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from sam gy
It's fair to say some games suit him better than others, but his quality is there for all to see and i'd have him in the team every game - clearly it took him a while to get up to speed after barely playing in the last few years. His passing is brilliant and he's the best corner taker we've had in God knows when.

He whips them in just under the bar Fergie said Charlie Adam was worth £10M for that ;)
Posted by: Hagrid, January 3, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 9
pringle has quality, he is a luxury player i'll admit but he brings something different too us, as said our good run coincides with him playing

Cloudy are you ever happy?
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), January 3, 2019, 2:03pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Davec

Where did you hear that? If that's true thats mad! Surely that's his Preston wage, which I imagine we are splitting?...
Posted by: Mendonca1995, January 3, 2019, 2:13pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Cloudy

I have to agree to be honest he’s been ok but I’m not over excited about him as I was when he first signed, he puts over some decent balls and links well with Vernam but he has no pace for a winger and is very weak in the tackle and in the air I’m yet to see him beat a player one for one we have had some fantastic wingers over the years here but he wouldn’t make my top 10 unfortunately
Posted by: jimgtfc, January 3, 2019, 2:19pm; Reply: 12
He gives us a bit of the quality and creativity we were desperately lacking in the first part of the season, and like others have said I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our form has improved since he has come into the side. His strength is clearly when he’s on the ball, he moves it well and quickly, spots a pass early and can deliver quality crosses and set pieces. I can remember him from his Rotherham days and was a threat running with the ball too, but he seems to be a yard or two short of the pace he had then and that’s probably why he’s now at this level. It’ll be interesting to see how he links up with Sebastian Ring, given how he’s apparently an attacking full back.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2019, 2:39pm; Reply: 13
I didn't think he was great against Mansfield and was perhaps bullied out of it a bit as their defenders were pretty substantially built as well as being quite athletic, but I think he's generally been a good signing for us. A good ball player capable of linking up with the others we now have so he's generally going to add more to the team than we lose from having him in.

My only concern is that we have a relatively 'lightweight' attack and some of the referees you get at this level are going to let the meatier teams bully us out of games. Other than Cardwell, not one of our attackers is over 6 foot and most are relatively slight as well. The midfield are pretty short, too. The players have shown that they will all put in a shift but we are a pretty diminutive team all round these days.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 3, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 14
Fine player. We look at our best when he is on the ball a lot. Only thing missing has been goals from him. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his work ethic.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 3, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Davec

I wouldn't be surprised if Preston are though.

I like him, he's like a much better Woolford.
Posted by: chaos33, January 3, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Fine player. We look at our best when he is on the ball a lot. Only thing missing has been goals from him. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his work ethic.

This.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 17
I think he's a very intelligent player, but a bit of a luxury. He's excellent in an attacking sense, but limited in the defensive side of things, so you need hard working players around him, and if he's not on it in a game, then he doesn't offer much else. Hopefully, he still has some way to go in the fitness stakes yet, and will improve the other aspects of his game further. If he does, he will be some player at this level.
Posted by: Cloudy, January 3, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid
pringle has quality, he is a luxury player i'll admit but he brings something different too us, as said our good run coincides with him playing

Cloudy are you ever happy?

I’m very Happy thank you.

Just have an opinion that may be different to some others. No doubt he has quality and vision but feel his performances have dropped over the last few games, Mansfield, Exeter, Port Vale etc.

His wage at Preston is said to be £6/7k pw and NO I didn’t suggest we were paying that! Maybe £1500/2000pw max?
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 3, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 19
Has no one noticed how hard Pringle tries to get back and help Fox out as soon as play has turned over.  
Posted by: Bigdog, January 3, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ginnywings
I think he's a very intelligent player, but a bit of a luxury. He's excellent in an attacking sense, but limited in the defensive side of things, so you need hard working players around him, and if he's not on it in a game, then he doesn't offer much else. Hopefully, he still has some way to go in the fitness stakes yet, and will improve the other aspects of his game further. If he does, he will be some player at this level.

Agree with this.

With the ball and on set pieces he's excellent, without the ball he's a bit of a liability and a weak link. Jury's out for me.. not sure whether we need someone with more pace and dynamism out wide for the balance of the team or not. Noticed his performances have dropped off when we've lost the pace of Vernam on the other side. Maybe having to play both Cardwell and Pringle out wide puts too much pressure on us and makes us less dynamic than we could be. Hopefully Pringle has the capacity to get quicker and sharper game by game because I do enjoy watching him on the ball, and with Vernam returning, I'm reserving the right to form a fuller opinion on Pringle until later on in the season..

Did like seeing him on Twitter cajoling Embleton into signing, so he must feel at home and part of it here which is important..
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 4, 2019, 8:42am; Reply: 21
I like both Pringle & Woolford.

The thing is, they are not your typical wingers that we have been use to for 10 years that have loads of pace, and nothing else, they are the total opposite
Posted by: Kris2, January 4, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with this.

With the ball and on set pieces he's excellent, without the ball he's a bit of a liability and a weak link. Jury's out for me.. not sure whether we need someone with more pace and dynamism out wide for the balance of the team or not. Noticed his performances have dropped off when we've lost the pace of Vernam on the other side. Maybe having to play both Cardwell and Pringle out wide puts too much pressure on us and makes us less dynamic than we could be. Hopefully Pringle has the capacity to get quicker and sharper game by game because I do enjoy watching him on the ball, and with Vernam returning, I'm reserving the right to form a fuller opinion on Pringle until later on in the season..

Did like seeing him on Twitter cajoling Embleton into signing, so he must feel at home and part of it here which is important..

If somebody has his ability to take set pieces, cross the ball,pass and also has pace and dynamism.....Do you honestly think we'd be signing them? Honestly some people are dreaming when it comes to the type of players they think we should be signing  ;D.

We've needed a proper corner taker for ages and somebody who can take good free kicks, it's been an issue and now we have two who are pretty decent on delivery. I think we can deal with his weaknesses at this level and not need him defensively. I'd rather have somebody who can get us goals from set pieces than somebody who runs around all game with little  end product. Would you rather have a Pringle or a Tombola?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 4, 2019, 9:12am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

The thing is, they are not your typical wingers that we have been use to for 10 years that have loads of pace, and nothing else, they are the total opposite

Agree with this, both Pringle and Woolford  lack pace but what they both have is quick feet and can both turn on a six pence.

What I am bemused at is that the way Woolie turned the Lincoln defenders  inside out and they never got the ball off him is why he has never shown that again....at least with Pringle we get an all heart display with some scrumptious balls into the box...oh and btw, Woolie played down the right flank against Lincoln....just saying...
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 4, 2019, 9:41am; Reply: 24
I like Pringle, I think he's something different not just for us but for this level really.  There's not a lot of players knocking around the lower leagues with his technical qualities.

I actually think he does work hard but he's just not defensive minded at all, which is probably where people feel he's a bit lazy.  He does track back, I'm just not sure he really knows how to do it properly.  

I like the fact that Jolley is building a side that's got a mixture of that graft and luxury, but the luxury element is willing to put shifts in too - even if it's a bit foreign to them, Vernam's another example of that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 4, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I must have been asleep for the last decade. I don't remember this at all. In my slumbers I had recurring nightmares about a smallish fair haired bloke who appeared to run quick but he always seemed to be tethered to a piece of elastic that pulled him back, accompanied by ghostly moans of 'keep us shairp'.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 10:02pm