Till end of season
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2019, 3:05pm; Reply: 2
Brilliant!

Hendrie next.  :)
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, January 2, 2019, 3:05pm; Reply: 3
Excellent result.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 2, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 4
Terrific signing!!

If Sunderland go up, could we see Elliott released and potentially sign for us permanently?
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 2, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 5

Great news and shows we are moving in the right direction.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 2, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 6
Great bit of business.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 2, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 7
Quite surprised. Thought Sunderland would want him for their promotion push. But this is really good news and maybe we can make a promotion push of our own!
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 2, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 8

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/-embleton-extends-loan-until-end-of-the-season/
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 2, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 9
Must be a mistake, wasn't we informed he was joining Lincoln???
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 2, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 10
Brilliant, great young player whos going to go places, this might be more important than any new players that could come in
Posted by: Tommy, January 2, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 11
Fantastic news.

This along with Vernam not being injured as feared are massive positives for us, even if we do no major inward business this month.

I said on the Vernam thread that CV has scored or assisted 10 goals this season. Embleton isn't far behind, on 7. Losing these two at a similar time would've been hard to cover for.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 2, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 12
Great news.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), January 2, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 13
More whoop from me.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 2, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

If he went there who would he pass to, they would all be charging towards the penalty spot looking for a big hoof!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 2, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 15
;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 2, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 16
Keeps our midfield young energetic and skillful....really pleased with this,  you only have to look at Vernham who Derby had big hopes for and he chose Grimsby, where he knew he'd get to play games rather than staying there and warming the bench or playing for the reserves, maybe just maybe Embleton see's it the same way and could end up on a permanent deal come next season ...
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 2, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 17
Fantastic news !!!!!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 2, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

He couldn't as you can't play for 3 teams in a season and he turned out for Sunderland in the EFL cup.

Great news though!
Posted by: moosey_club, January 2, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He couldn't as you can't play for 3 teams in a season and he turned out for Sunderland in the EFL cup.

Great news though!

Plus Elliot thinks Danny Cowley is a cnt  ;D
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 2, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 20
Do well to see a better piece of business at this level during this window.
Posted by: denni266, January 2, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 21
Makes sense like i said on another thread. win win all round
Posted by: quebec38, January 2, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 22
I refuse to believe this. neileardleyscrossing definitely said he was off there in January   ::)
Posted by: chrissy, January 2, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 23
Best news this year  :)
Posted by: rancido, January 2, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from quebec38
I refuse to believe this. neileardleyscrossing definitely said he was off there in January   ::)

….and I'm convinced he isn't " economical with the truth" or a " perpertrater of terminological inexactitudes " !!! Then again he supports Lincoln!!
Posted by: RoboCod, January 2, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from quebec38

neileardleyscrossing shows some humility and self-awareness and out of embarrassment never posts on the Fishy again.

Embleton stays til the season's end.

Win, win (yes)
Posted by: gaz57, January 2, 2019, 6:00pm; Reply: 26
A Jolly good bit of business. UTMM
Posted by: Abdul19, January 2, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 27
Oh that is first class
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 2, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from diehardmariner

It's only a loan...
Posted by: Bigdog, January 2, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 29

Looking beyond this season, signing Luke Hendrie permanently would be even better in my opinion. We're really lucky to have Embo for another twenty odd games, but we could end up having Hendrie as our right back for a couple of hundred games or more if we get him signed up..
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 2, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 30
The two cases are different

Embleton has been allowed to remain as part of his development. Sunderland made Max Power a permanent transfer and think Embleton will leave us at end of season

Hendrie does not seem to be wanted by Shrewsbury and is out of contact at end of season. He can easily travel between his family and GTFC and could be playing in league 1 next year, or maybe not...😩
Either way he will be ok with us for this season plus another.
Posted by: ska face, January 2, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 31
I think it’s a really useful signing in moving towards the model that Jolley wants and the fans asked for - a squad of young local lads coming through alongside a core of experienced players with some quality loans from further up the pyramid.

If we can show we’ve taken an England u21 international and had a positive impact on his development over a season, this will stand us in good stead when trying to convince other clubs to let us take their prospects on loan.
Posted by: chaos33, January 2, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 32
Agree.
He's a very good player and it's a great piece of work by us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 2, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from moosey_club

Plus Elliot thinks Danny Cowley is a cnt  ;D

He’s not alone in that 🤔
Posted by: livosnose, January 2, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ska face
I think it’s a really useful signing in moving towards the model that Jolley wants and the fans asked for - a squad of young local lads coming through alongside a core of experienced players with some quality loans from further up the pyramid.

If we can show we’ve taken an England u21 international and had a positive impact on his development over a season, this will stand us in good stead when trying to convince other clubs to let us take their prospects on loan.

Don’t want to be pedantic but Under 20 defo a significance between both in terms of value and development
Posted by: acko338, January 2, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 35
Quality continuation - hope that Jolley can persuade 2 or 3 more similar players to enhance numbers and increase competition for places.

Genuine pace and ball control wherever they play combined with a good team.spirit - no more money chasers as in previous years !!
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 2, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from livosnose

Don’t want to be pedantic but Under 20 defo a significance between both in terms of value and development

For us I think the important part is being able to show clubs the games and opportunities weve given to loanees, a long term benefit for us rather than the short termism of using loanees as is convinient at the time
Posted by: fiveallive, January 3, 2019, 7:23am; Reply: 37

For us I think the important part is being able to show clubs the games and opportunities weve given to loanees, a long term benefit for us rather than the short termism of using loanees as is convinient at the time

I agree with you, Luton loaned us Famewo because of Jolley approach to the game, stood us good stead getting Embleton, but Henderson coming here and getting games also Dyson we put ourselves out there.

Plus playing our own youth and wanting to bring players through is something I haven't seen since the likes of Bore, Andy Taylor, North and Bennett.

Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 3, 2019, 7:59am; Reply: 38
Good news for Town this and clearly other Clubs are happy with how GTFC are now helping develop young player`s . Tick in the box for our Club and a great bonus for us fan`s we have a quality midfielder til the end of Season.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 3, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 39
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It's only a loan...

Sorry, not sure I see your point?  Loan or not, it's still a brilliant piece of business in my opinion.  To be honest I would really struggle how anyone could see it as anything else, from a GTFC perspective anyway.  
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 3, 2019, 9:07am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Bigdog

Looking beyond this season, signing Luke Hendrie permanently would be even better in my opinion. We're really lucky to have Embo for another twenty odd games, but we could end up having Hendrie as our right back for a couple of hundred games or more if we get him signed up..

I liked Hendrie, I really do.  I think he's got better with more games and on his natural right side he's looked quality.  However we've now got RHJ back and whilst I would have no issue with the pair competing for a starting place, I think Hendrie is a player we could reluctantly afford to lose, mainly because we've got someone capable of playing in his position.

Embleton on the other hand is someone I think we would have really, really struggled to replace.  I would go as far as saying that the system we've had recent success with is centred very much around that one player.  He's the one who gets us going, sets our tempo, dictates our play and is at the heart of an awful lot of what we do.  It's a team game and he's very well supported by the likes of Clifton, Hessenthaler etc. but he's the standout quality that we would miss and fail to replace in my opinion.

I do hope we sign Hendrie on a permanent deal though, at the very least extend his loan until the end of the season.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 3, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 41

I liked Hendrie, I really do.  I think he's got better with more games and on his natural right side he's looked quality.  However we've now got RHJ back and whilst I would have no issue with the pair competing for a starting place, I think Hendrie is a player we could reluctantly afford to lose, mainly because we've got someone capable of playing in his position.

Embleton on the other hand is someone I think we would have really, really struggled to replace.  I would go as far as saying that the system we've had recent success with is centred very much around that one player.  He's the one who gets us going, sets our tempo, dictates our play and is at the heart of an awful lot of what we do.  It's a team game and he's very well supported by the likes of Clifton, Hessenthaler etc. but he's the standout quality that we would miss and fail to replace in my opinion.

I do hope we sign Hendrie on a permanent deal though, at the very least extend his loan until the end of the season.

I think Hendrie is comfortably our best defender reads the game well and comfortable on the ball.
Posted by: Nutsy, January 3, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 42
Embleton and Clifton have a very good understanding in the centre of the park, plus Hess is playing more he, too, is working well. A midfield three or a wide CM (Embleton) seems to be MJ preferred style.

Have we had a more cohesive CM combination since Disley and Clay?
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 4, 2019, 9:44am; Reply: 43
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think Hendrie is comfortably our best defender reads the game well and comfortable on the ball.

Wouldn't disagree with that to be honest.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I want us to not sign Hendrie, far from it.  I just think Embleton is more important in the sense that we've no-one else remotely close to what he can offer.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:19pm