Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bigdog, December 29, 2018, 5:50pm
Watched on i-Follow abroad and have written my just back post but think it's only fair that our magnificent travelling fans have first dibs on uploading their views first..
Posted by: lukeo, December 29, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 1
Crack on big dog, I didn't see the game but hear great things from grimsby and Exeter fans alike on Maccas performance. Seen the goals and the worldy save. If we can best Mansfield then we're seriously looking up at those play offs! I put £2 on a top 7 finish at 40/1 6 weeks ago, I bet that price has come down now!!
I'd take a point on Tuesday, sadly I'll be back down south so can't go. Take all your friends and family, get Blundell park ful land rocking. The players and staff deserve it. UTM
Posted by: oldun, December 29, 2018, 6:12pm; Reply: 2
What an unbelievable result. Early goal, man sent off and go and win it with a late pen. Opposition have 30 shots! Must have been some superb defending with a scratch back 4. Losing Whitmore is another big blow with Palace coming up. Still another terrific 3 points.
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 29, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 3
Immense performance..... from every single one of the lads today. Throwing bodies at everything.

Special mention to Macca, Pollock and RHJ
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 29, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 4
Just back from Spain and on the choo choo from Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes there were huge amounts of "flipping yes!" from short wearing, suitcase laden blokes listening to the game. 😁😁
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 29, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 5
I don't really know what to say, we were pummeled for the majority of that game and they should have scored 4-5 goals, so to come away with all three points seems ridiculous.  Exeter fans were very welcoming before the match and very chatty. The players battled and each and every one of them deserves credit apart from that stupid challenge from Whitmore. McKeown is easily good enough for League 1. The fans were brilliant throughout.

Very proud to be a Mariner.
Posted by: Meza, December 29, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 6
They were very complimentary of Macca reading their forum.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, December 29, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 7
Just back to Bristol. Played well first half after dodgy first five minutes. Even to half time. Got battered in the second half, Macca outstanding. Players threw their bodies in front of everything.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 29, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 8
Did not go but let us fans not be too harsh on Whitmore. Personally I want us to have an uncompromising centre back who wins his headers and dominates the centre forward.

At best today over- enthusiastic but all of us who played at any level and have these “rush of blood “ moments that you immediately regret. I have been impressed with him this season and accept with our current problem with availability of centre backs it’s increasingly frustrating but maybe this will be an incident that kickstarts Pollock’s career.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, December 29, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 9
From a distance in Spain following the game on the BBC website, it looked like the Alamo. Heroes everyone of them, fighting for the cause. Fifteen corners to zero! Not many fouls in the game' There were :) 46 in the Cambridge-Gimps match (25 to the visitors). We have an outstanding keeper and clearly a huge amount of team spirit. Well done, lads.
Posted by: Meza, December 29, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from hampshiremariner
From a distance in Spain following the game on the BBC website, it looked like the Alamo. Heroes everyone of them, fighting for the cause. Fifteen corners to zero! Not many fouls in the game' There were :) 46 in the Cambridge-Gimps match (25 to the visitors). We have an outstanding keeper and clearly a huge amount of team spirit. Well done, lads.

Cambridge fans not very complimentary to imps and the way they play.  
Posted by: Bigdog, December 29, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 11
The first thing I have to say is that I’ve never seen such a great goalkeeping performance in a Grimsby Town shirt. Macca made at least eight incredible saves. A ten out of ten performance if ever I’ve seen one.

Exeter are a good side with the ball. Not so great without it because they gave us time to play first half. They started on the front foot and could have been ahead inside two minutes if it wasn’t for a wonder double save from Macca. We grew into the game, played some nice football and looked dangerous on the break. Whitmore was winning everything as RHJ looked a little lost positionally and we didn’t really stop them from crossing in some great balls from deeper positions. Another couple of saves from Macca then we broke down the other end and Woolford superbly volleyed in a looping ball at the back post from twelve yards showing incredible technique. Exeter were always dangerous yet the game evened out a little as we played some nice football at times. On the balance of play and chances created you couldn’t say we deserved our half time lead, but knowing the injuries we’ve got and how MJ had to shuffle the pack, our endeavour and hard work deserved something. Hessenthaler and Clifton were busy, Embleton not quite at his best, our full backs were both outstanding and Thomas working his nuts off up front on his own assisted occasionally by the hard-working Cardwell from the right. Woolford buoyed by his goal showed one or two good touches yet we were still letting too many crosses in from deep and those crosses were excellent, the best I’ve seen from a team this season. We had a scare just before half time as Exeter had a goal ruled out for offside as one of their players came back from off the pitch and tapped in from close range. Hats off to the linesman for spotting this as the ref looked like he had awarded a goal and hats off to every Town player for rushing over to the linesman to complain.

Having played so well with a makeshift partner first half Whitmore was deservedly sent off for a foul in a midfield area when he didn’t have to challenge for the ball. Hardly cynical and not the worst challenge you’d ever see, just a little late and slightly high lunge that gave the ref a decision he had to make. Hopefully he’ll learn from it and thanked every one of his magnificent team mates after the game.

With 11 v 11 on the pitch and even though Exeter could out football us for long periods as they have some seriously good ball players, I always thought that we could score another goal second half but the sending off put an end to that. For the last forty minutes it was like an attack versus defence training drill. Exeter could not have played better against ten men yet they came up against a never say die side that put everything on the line to get three points. Yes, we rode our luck, and yes, Macca made at least half a dozen wonder saves but I’ve never seen a side so under the cosh and keep their shape so well. Pollock got his head to at least half a dozen dangerous crosses, a goal line clearance and made two or three important challenges and must be really proud of his performance tonight, and well done MJ for putting his trust in him. At some stage Exeter had to score, and they did, only for them to give away a stupid penalty a minute later. It was the only time one of our players touched the ball in their penalty box after the sending off. Ahkeem ghosted behind their defender who put an arm across him and Ahkeem bought the penalty well with a superb fall/dive as the contact wasn’t that strong and the referee pointed to the spot. In my amazement MJ brought Rose (pen) on to take the penalty. I really wanted Embleton to keep the ball and take the pen as I hate seeing players taking a pen with their first touch of the game. How could I ever doubt Mitch Rose? He strode up and nonchalantly sent their keeper the wrong way and sent those magnificent travelling haddocks into delirium and also this one over here in Spain.

After that, it was like the Alamo. Cross after cross, block after block, save after save, faux penalty appeal after faux penalty appeal plus Stockley hit the bar with a header and a sitter from six yards was missed as we nail bitingly entered injury time. There was still enough time for Macca to make an unbelievable save from a point blank Stockley header, but we held out.

We may not be the finished article by any means, we’ll need players back from injury and two or three new additions in the transfer window, but.. these players are playing for MJ and they’re playing for the shirt. 10% less and they’d have got beat by six today and that’s the difference. Incredible battling performance today full of endeavour, team spirit and exceptionally strong work ethics that should make every Town fan’s heart burst with pride tonight..

So much going on in the match, I’ve probably left out loads of talking points. Great game and an even greater result!!
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 29, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Meza

Cambridge fans not very complimentary to imps and the way they play.  

They must be wrong because those imps that come on here keep telling us they are the next Barcelona.
Posted by: jock dock tower, December 29, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 13
Quote from an Exeter fan on their website after saying ho they'd bombarded our goal "we had ten shots on target they scored with their only direct shot on goal" Errrr,we scored two!
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 29, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 14
The proudest I’ve been of the team in a long time. We truly look like contenders now if we keep this up. Macca is the best GK in the league and we’ve got a team of battlers in front of us now.

As for Whitmore, it should be a ‘never put us in that situation again’ conversation and move on. Sure he’ll be gutted but his team mates pulled him out of it today.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 29, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Gaffer58

They must be wrong because those imps that come on here keep telling us they are the next Barcelona.

Lincoln are as cultured as The Barcelona (not the football club, the night-club)
Posted by: moosey_club, December 29, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 16
Felt we invited the pressure today....after the first few minutes where they shot out of the blocks we looked comfortable enough in the game when we pressed them....when we didnt press them they played with ease and seemingly had a spare man in every part of the pitch....once Whitmore went off we sat deeper and deeper ..the back four playing on the 6 yd line and the midfield around the 18 yd line.
We got away with it today make no mistake , they missed some sitters, Macca made some excellent saves and the players blocked at the last ditch ....but the last ditch blocks were largely because we were leaving their players unmarked..despite having everyone behind the ball.

A Rose was playing as a right back after we gained the lead and we had no one up the pitch at all which just made it so easy for Exeter to just advance to 25 yds and put the ball in at will...really dont understand why Jolley did that...yes we got the points but just think that was largely due to luck as opposed to an effective defensive shape.

First half we looked good and alot better than against Vale and County...the sending off knackered that.
Credit to Jolley for ...Woolford in for Pringle, played well first half and very economical with the ball and a lovely finish...credit for A Rose on...quickly earned the penalty...and one of the most masterful substitutons of bringing on the penalty taker to take the penalty...was hiding behind the sofa as thought Mitch would be too cold to take it but did the business and finally for giving a specific mention to Pollock post match.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 29, 2018, 11:04pm; Reply: 17
Sounds like a Coyne at QPR 2001-esque performance from Jimmy Mac  :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, December 29, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Lincoln are as cultured as The Barcelona (not the football club, the night-club)

Matt Rhead is the perfect example of the women in the Barcelona.    

Somewhat overweight and goes down far too easily 😄
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 30, 2018, 12:30am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Civvy at last

In case Mrs Civvy is reading, he meant to write 'allegedly' (fingerscrossed)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2018, 3:24am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Meza
They were very complimentary of Macca reading their forum.

No wonder it's a great volley by Wolly to open the score but....................................James Macca

Take a bow son,

I have been following town for over fifty years but that goes down as one of the best goalkeeping displays ever.

Never mind about the last immense save their all talking about, to me the first two reflex saves from close range are as good as it gets.

What an incredible performance by everyone but particularly one man Super "they shall not pass" MACCA

ENJOY THIS GUYS.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11594513/exeter-1-2-grimsby

Posted by: gytone, December 30, 2018, 3:58am; Reply: 21
I'm going to get loads of red crosses for this, but i don't think it was a srnd8ng off, yes he dived in but he won the ball, so he followed through in the tackle but it pretty impossible to stop yourselves when sliding.  Back in the day it might've been a foul at best, but please don't give me this crap that the game has changed because it hasn't i my eyes   a tackle os a tackle end 🤔of
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 30, 2018, 4:19am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Civvy at last

No need to bring my wife into this
Posted by: Cloudy, December 30, 2018, 7:48am; Reply: 23
Slightly concerned that despite two heroic backs to the wall victories , that we are simply allowing the opposition far to many opportunities on our goal.
Incredible blocks and miraculous saves but if we allow better quality players that sort of chances next Saturday it could be a cricket score!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2018, 9:28am; Reply: 24
Another way to look at it if we get Cardwell/Akheem in a good run of form with Thomas we can hit teams on the break.
Posted by: AussieMariner, December 30, 2018, 9:34am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Another way to look at it if we get Cardwell/Akheem in a good run of form with Thomas we can hit teams on the break.

This sounds like the glass half full vs half empty debate
Personally I suffer from Cenosillicaphobia

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 30, 2018, 10:00am; Reply: 26
Yeah I prefer half full it always feels great when you battle and win against the odds.

Not getting carried away and we have ridden our luck on occasions but who could have foreseen this dramatic turn of form from a couple of months ago?

The most satisfying aspect is the hard work and determination put in by EVERY player and seeing the young players growing better and better.

Pollock took his chance really well and did himself the world of good with that display can be very proud of his first outing.

The balance of youth and experience looks right. Macca, Collins, Thomas, Vernam and Woolford all have bags of that and with the energy of younger players like Cardwell, Rose, Embelton and Clifton to keep up the tempo.

Just glad we have eased our way out of a tricky situation anything else will be a massive bonus.

M.J. and his coaching staff are doing an excellent job in moulding this squad into a fighting unit.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 30, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Cloudy
Slightly concerned that despite two heroic backs to the wall victories , that we are simply allowing the opposition far to many opportunities on our goal.
Incredible blocks and miraculous saves but if we allow better quality players that sort of chances next Saturday it could be a cricket score!

It's a good point to make. We've had a great set of results this month without playing well in a footballing sense. We've learnt how to stay in games and have found ways to score and both have to be taken as huge improvements from where we were. I get the impression that we are short in certain areas which means we do get pushed back too often. My opinion is that our squad is still a work in progress and as a whole is still unbalanced and hopefully this will be addressed in the transfer window. There is the added problem we've had with injuries to consider too. With what he has had at his disposal, I don't think MJ could have got much more out of the squad and the players themselves couldn't have pulled together a better points haul this month than they have. Is it sustainable how we're playing? I'd say no. What is sustainable is the work ethic and team spirit but to progress we will need to improve certain areas in the matchday eleven. Looking at the transfer window coming up, this is my assessment of the squad..

Sticking with MJ's favoured 4-5-1 / 4-3-3

GKs - we're ok here

Right Back - If Hendrie stays we're fine here
Left Back - If Fox goes, we'll need a replacement unless Famewo is available

Centre Backs - If we look forward two weeks after injuries and suspensions, we're fine here if everything is ok with Famewo

Central Midfield - If Embleton stays, with Hess, Rose, Clifton, Embleton, Welsh we're ok for numbers

Forwards - We've got Thomas, Cook, A Rose and Cardwell which as we play one up front is enough numbers wise but every club should be on the look out for a signing in this department that's going to result in extra goal threat.

Then we come to what I see is the problem area. We seem settled with a midfield three of Hess, Embleton and Clifton. These three are very effective in closing down space and with Clifton and Embleton bursting forward carry a considerable amount of attacking threat. Defensively at times I think they can be physically bullied and defensively I feel that they are left exposed by our wide men as much as our full backs are. There's no doubt that our wide men are putting the effort in, but have they got the attributes to make a cohesive unit?

Wide Areas - Pringle, Woolford, Cardwell, Vernam. Does this area look as strong as other positions? Out of the four, I only see Vernam as a long term prospect for a progressive team in this position once he fully learns aspects of defending.responsibilities. Once he's rounded his game he has the perfect attributes in driving us forward and will be a goal threat and dangerous on counter attacks. Cardwell is a hard working square peg in a round hole at the minute doing the best he can for the team. I see him more as a back up to Thomas in the holding the ball up one up front role. Then we come to left hand side. Both Pringle and Woolford are ball players with a lack of pace and this area I think we need a more dynamic player to help with the pace and physicality of our team unless we stiffen our midfield three up with a more physical player and play Embleton out wide, but then again, this would reduce Embleton's effectiveness. If Fox stays, could Ring do a job here?

So on balance, and hoping Embleton and Hendrie stay until the end of the season, the most important areas I feel we need to improve to impose greater authority and control in games is out wide in midfield. As a club we always need to be on the look out to improve in every position, but wide midfield is our weak link in my opinion and it impacts in every other area of our play..
Posted by: Rick12, December 30, 2018, 10:44am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Bigdog

We may not be the finished article by any means, we’ll need players back from injury and two or three new additions in the transfer window, but.. these players are playing for MJ and they’re playing for the shirt. 10% less and they’d have got beat by six today and that’s the difference. Incredible battling performance today full of endeavour, team spirit and exceptionally strong work ethics that should make every Town fan’s heart burst with pride tonight..

So much going on in the match, I’ve probably left out loads of talking points. Great game and an even greater result!!
Great post.Key is now maintaining that endeavour and improving in other areas of the game.

Posted by: moosey_club, December 30, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Cloudy

Amen to that.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, December 30, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Bigdog

It's a good point to make. We've had a great set of results this month without playing well in a footballing sense. We've learnt how to stay in games and have found ways to score and both have to be taken as huge improvements from where we were. I get the impression that we are short in certain areas which means we do get pushed back too often. My opinion is that our squad is still a work in progress and as a whole is still unbalanced and hopefully this will be addressed in the transfer window. There is the added problem we've had with injuries to consider too. With what he has had at his disposal, I don't think MJ could have got much more out of the squad and the players themselves couldn't have pulled together a better points haul this month than they have. Is it sustainable how we're playing? I'd say no. What is sustainable is the work ethic and team spirit but to progress we will need to improve certain areas in the matchday eleven. Looking at the transfer window coming up, this is my assessment of the squad..

Sticking with MJ's favoured 4-5-1 / 4-3-3

GKs - we're ok here

Right Back - If Hendrie stays we're fine here
Left Back - If Fox goes, we'll need a replacement unless Famewo is available

Centre Backs - If we look forward two weeks after injuries and suspensions, we're fine here if everything is ok with Famewo

Central Midfield - If Embleton stays, with Hess, Rose, Clifton, Embleton, Welsh we're ok for numbers

Forwards - We've got Thomas, Cook, A Rose and Cardwell which as we play one up front is enough numbers wise but every club should be on the look out for a signing in this department that's going to result in extra goal threat.

Then we come to what I see is the problem area. We seem settled with a midfield three of Hess, Embleton and Clifton. These three are very effective in closing down space and with Clifton and Embleton bursting forward carry a considerable amount of attacking threat. Defensively at times I think they can be physically bullied and defensively I feel that they are left exposed by our wide men as much as our full backs are. There's no doubt that our wide men are putting the effort in, but have they got the attributes to make a cohesive unit?

Wide Areas - Pringle, Woolford, Cardwell, Vernam. Does this area look as strong as other positions? Out of the four, I only see Vernam as a long term prospect for a progressive team in this position once he fully learns aspects of defending.responsibilities. Once he's rounded his game he has the perfect attributes in driving us forward and will be a goal threat and dangerous on counter attacks. Cardwell is a hard working square peg in a round hole at the minute doing the best he can for the team. I see him more as a back up to Thomas in the holding the ball up one up front role. Then we come to left hand side. Both Pringle and Woolford are ball players with a lack of pace and this area I think we need a more dynamic player to help with the pace and physicality of our team unless we stiffen our midfield three up with a more physical player and play Embleton out wide, but then again, this would reduce Embleton's effectiveness. If Fox stays, could Ring do a job here?

So on balance, and hoping Embleton and Hendrie stay until the end of the season, the most important areas I feel we need to improve to impose greater authority and control in games is out wide in midfield. As a club we always need to be on the look out to improve in every position, but wide midfield is our weak link in my opinion and it impacts in every other area of our play..

We have just brought in Ring who is a left back.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 30, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Paris Mariner

We have just brought in Ring who is a left back.

Understand that, but if Famewo (who is a centre half and only a makeshift left back) continues to be unavailable, and Fox goes, it will leave us with Ring as our only left back, which still leaves us short of cover in that position..
Posted by: Poojah, December 30, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 32
I think we need to be measured in this transfer window. It’s easier to disrupt what’s already working well in January than it is to improve the squad in my opinion. With what I imagine is a fairly tight budget, we need to spend wisely.

I think back to Bignot’s (only, thankfully!) transfer window two years ago when we signed no less than 8 players - Yussuf, Gunning, Asante, Osborne, Clements, Jones, Dyson and Maxwell. I’m not suggesting they were all bad players, but in totality that window ultimately took us backwards, not forwards.

Short-term injury problems and suspensions aside, I don’t think the squad actually NEEDS that much. For me, we should only be looking to sign players if the opportunity arises to bring in someone clearly and demonstrably better than what we’ve already got, or someone that gives us an option we’re currently missing (i.e a direct, pacy / tricky wide man).

Ring makes obvious sense if Fox is indeed about to leave, and a short-term loan deal for a centre back may also be prudent, but over and above that I’d be far happier with one or two really smart signings than several ok ones.

Anyway, I’m not too worried - if Bignot was as mad as a bag of chips Jolley is a sea of calmness and serenity by comparison. I’m confident we’ll get it right.
Posted by: Bigdog, December 30, 2018, 11:59am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Poojah
I think we need to be measured in this transfer window. It’s easier to disrupt what’s already working well in January than it is to improve the squad in my opinion. With what I imagine is a fairly tight budget, we need to spend wisely.

I think back to Bignot’s (only, thankfully!) transfer window two years ago when we signed no less than 8 players - Yussuf, Gunning, Asante, Osborne, Clements, Jones, Dyson and Maxwell. I’m not suggesting they were all bad players, but in totality that window ultimately took us backwards, not forwards.

Short-term injury problems and suspensions aside, I don’t think the squad actually NEEDS that much. For me, we should only be looking to sign players if the opportunity arises to bring in someone clearly and demonstrably better than what we’ve already got, or someone that gives us an option we’re currently missing (i.e a direct, pacy / tricky wide man).

Ring makes obvious sense if Fox is indeed about to leave, and a short-term loan deal for a centre back may also be prudent, but over and above that I’d be far happier with one or two really smart signings than several ok ones.

Anyway, I’m not too worried - if Bignot was as mad as a bag of chips Jolley is a sea of calmness and serenity by comparison. I’m confident we’ll get it right.

Agree with this.

Maybe a couple coming in this January would suffice. It would then leave us looking at needing to make only four or five signings in the summer. A much sounder base to work from than the past few seasons and more like the profile of a promotion chasing squad than one that has to virtually start squad building from scratch every summer..
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 30, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 34
A short term loan for a Centre half a wide player (or 2 if Vernam out long term) would do for me in the window assuming we can keep Embleton and Hendrie.  Happy with the rest of the squad unless a superb striker for this level becomes available to us.
Posted by: Davec, December 30, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Yeah I prefer half full it always feels great when you battle and win against the odds.

Not getting carried away and we have ridden our luck on occasions but who could have foreseen this dramatic turn of form from a couple of months ago?

The most satisfying aspect is the hard work and determination put in by EVERY player and seeing the young players growing better and better.

Pollock took his chance really well and did himself the world of good with that display can be very proud of his first outing.

The balance of youth and experience looks right. Macca, Collins, Thomas, Vernam and Woolford all have bags of that and with the energy of younger players like Cardwell, Rose, Embelton and Clifton to keep up the tempo.

Just glad we have eased our way out of a tricky situation anything else will be a massive bonus.

M.J. and his coaching staff are doing an excellent job in moulding this squad into a fighting unit.

Vernam has bags of experience? I don't even think he has played 50 pro games yet as he???
Posted by: chaos33, December 30, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Poojah

I agree too, in general.

If we can secure Embleton and Hendrie, that would be fantastic. Beyond that I'd like another defender, a winger and a striker, partly to respond to the loss of Vernam, about whom, nobody seems to know much in terms of his injury. Given we've also shifted Hooper and Robles, all in all, 3 or 4 more players in would be good.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:55pm