Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 15, 2018, 9:22pm
Congratulations to Ryan on his new two and a half year deal at Wolves - seems to me that we didn't realise how good he might become.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 15, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 1
I don’t think it was ever in doubt Ryan would play top level football , he always looked like he could play prem level even in a poor Norwich team
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, December 15, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 2
He became a player who has only just nailed down a regular starting place in a Prem side. Probably underacheived to what we expected .
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 16, 2018, 5:31am; Reply: 3
UTTER RUBBISH.

Bennet has had a great career thus far. Any player reaching the prem has achieved a very high standard to command a regular place he certainly has made a good career out of the game. Especially as the prem is full of expensive foreign imports.
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 16, 2018, 7:27am; Reply: 4
Ryan has forged an excellent career for himself when you consider that he was released by Ipswich as a teenager then picked up by a struggling 4 tier clubs youth team. His standard is lower prem to top end championship but whenever I watch him he still seems to be improving. He always seems very calm, never rash in the challenge, reads the game well and is very comfortable on the ball. I think a couple of things have helped him out recently, playing right side of a back 3 gives him a bit more security around him and also along side Conor Coady who has been superb for wolves and is apparently very vocal and a top captain, who no doubt ushers his other 2 centre halves. Also the fact that he is classed as home grown in this country means that Wolves are more likely to hold on to him to fill the quota as they’ve invested in a lot of foreign players since their takeover.
Posted by: Rick12, December 16, 2018, 8:45am; Reply: 5
Good on him.Has done really well in the game.

Thing is though take his pace  away and you have half the player. Having spoken to some ex pros they back this up as well. There are players in the game who play at a lower level eg league 1 etc that if had pace would be playing much higher up.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 16, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Rick12
Good on him.Has done really well in the game.

Thing is though take his pace  away and you have half the player. Having spoken to some ex pros they back this up as well. There are players in the game who play at a lower level eg league 1 etc that if had pace would be playing much higher up.

Gary Jones being the classic example of this.
Posted by: speedy, December 16, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 7
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
He became a player who has only just nailed down a regular starting place in a Prem side. Probably underacheived to what we expected .

Wish i could underachieve.
Posted by: Rick12, December 16, 2018, 9:37am; Reply: 8
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Gary Jones being the classic example of this.
Remember seeing Theo Walcott in a pre season game.I was looking at league 2 players  he was playing against and there werent a great deal of difference technically with some of the league 2 players he was up against .Thing he had in his favour though was he had pace which was a cut up above most on the pitch.

Posted by: Abdul19, December 16, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 9
Usain Bolt is rubbish though  ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, December 16, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 10
Ueah
Bobby Moore was really quick.
So was Paul Futcher
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 16, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 11
Ryan was good at a very young age, especially in his position.  He made a great tackle against a Chelsea player recently - and Wolves beat them.

Well done to him.  Glad that we helped his career by giving him valuable experience.
Posted by: Grantley, December 16, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 12
He’s done far better than I expected - he wasn’t very good in his last spell in the Prem but he’s now playing at a consistent high standard. Good on him!
Posted by: Rick12, December 16, 2018, 1:31pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19
Usain Bolt is rubbish though  ;)
   Imagine how good he would be if he had a bit of skill  ;)

Ueah
Bobby Moore was really quick.r
And with pace he would of been even better

Posted by: Gaffer58, December 16, 2018, 1:51pm; Reply: 14
With premier wages he could be rich enough to offer Fenty a buy out and become our non chairman, club captain, playing manager, owt I've missed off.
Posted by: killingholmemariner, December 16, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 15
Funny how people thought Rob Atkinson was better than him...
Posted by: Cloudy, December 16, 2018, 2:22pm; Reply: 16

That’s what Killinholme can do for your brain
Posted by: Kris2, December 16, 2018, 3:48pm; Reply: 17

They were talking about chatting birds up in Gullies.
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, December 17, 2018, 9:31am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
UTTER RUBBISH.

Bennet has had a great career thus far. Any player reaching the prem has achieved a very high standard to command a regular place he certainly has made a good career out of the game. Especially as the prem is full of expensive foreign imports.

Still think he underachieved to his full potential in my opinion so why is it utter rubbish. Not saying he hasn't had a good career. I just think he's underachived what we thought he'd go on to and I recall many fans saying he would play for England at the time so  he's underacheived to them surely. Don't forget he went to Wolves from Norwich on a free. It's quite boring that unless someone puts a praise sheet on here then their opinion is wrong.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 17, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 19
At Norwich the fans did not rate him highly because he might be quite quick in a straight line but he’s slow on the turn and his distribution was/is not brilliant. But he was playing in a poor side and often left exposed by the midfield so perhaps the way Wolves play suits him better.

Wolves play a very defensive game, always keep at least 4 at the back apparently. Only 19 goals conceded but only 19 scored.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 21, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 20

Just listening to the Wolves v Liverpool commentary tonight, big test for Ryan against the Liverpool forwards.
Posted by: LH, December 21, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 21
It does seem like Liverpool are his bogey team. He had a terrible game against Luis Suarez (who was admittedly at the best he played in England) while he was at Norwich a few years back. It might even have been two hammerings thinking about it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 21, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 22

Sounds like Wolves are playing well even though they are 1 down.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 21, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 23
I thought Bennett did ok tonight against a very good Liverpool team as did Coady ,it was boly who looked the weak link to me
Posted by: coddy60, December 22, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 24
At Norwich the fans did not rate him highly because he might be quite quick in a straight line but he’s slow on the turn and his distribution was/is not brilliant. But he was playing in a poor side and often left exposed by the midfield so perhaps the way Wolves play suits him better.

Wolves play a very defensive game, always keep at least 4 at the back apparently. Only 19 goals conceded but only 19 scored.

I work with quite a few Norwich season ticket holders, all of whom rated him very highly. He left, on a free, as they offered him a third of his wages to re-sign.
Posted by: coddy60, December 22, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 25
The free transfer comment was in response to Vinnygtfc..
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 22, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from coddy60

I work with quite a few Norwich season ticket holders, all of whom rated him very highly. He left, on a free, as they offered him a third of his wages to re-sign.

Yes, I don't think Bennett was unpopular with the fans as such, just that he was not brilliant in a side that was a vwey long way from brilliant.

But as you say money was the reason behind his leaving. He left as part of Delia's purge on high earners at Norwich last year. They were able to replace Bennett like several other players with some ease for a lot lower wages, in this case from from Lincoln and Germany, perm 2 from Hanley, Klos and Zimmermann or sometimes they play 3 at the back.

Wolves last year were the big spenders of the Championship so ...... ;)
Posted by: bluerose13x, December 22, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 27
Ryan Bennett. One of the very few attractive footballers !  :o  :o  :o
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:19pm