Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, December 9, 2018, 9:38am
I see fax machines are being banned by the NHS. I wonder how long football clubs will continue to use them especially around transfer deadline day?
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 9, 2018, 10:23am; Reply: 1
Blimey we still use carrier pigeons.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 9, 2018, 2:08pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from GrimRob
I see fax machines are being banned by the NHS. I wonder how long football clubs will continue to use them especially around transfer deadline day?

There must be a couple of fax salesmen logged in. Two red crosses for this!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 9, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 3
Never mind fax machines, bring back the vidiprinter!!!...
Posted by: GrimRob, December 9, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Never mind fax machines, bring back the vidiprinter!!!...

If you are going to bring back anything bring back Teletext. The tension of watching those pages flick around with football scores has no equal in today's world.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 9, 2018, 11:56pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GrimRob

If you are going to bring back anything bring back Teletext. The tension of watching those pages flick around with football scores has no equal in today's world.

I remeber when Graham Rodger was sacked I was at my Nans house and she had shouted me though to the other room about the news and had to sit through 6 long agonising pages to see it for myself
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 10, 2018, 6:48am; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimRob

It’s still there on the red button Rob. Am I a saddo for knowing that and still using it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 10, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 7
I miss when  the only way to find  a mid week score was to listen to NEWS AT TEN,

Right at the end of the news they would say, " Here are tonights football results "

Then I could go to bed happy or feeling down depending on what Town had done.

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 10, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
I miss when  the only way to find  a mid week score was to listen to NEWS AT TEN,

Right at the end of the news they would say, " Here are tonights football results "

Then I could go to bed happy or feeling down depending on what Town had done.

Remember that well Pete.... Reginald Bousenquet, Alastair Burnet etc.

How times have changed with social media  ::)
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 10, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 9
Seeing as we're reminiscing, what about sports night with Coleman on a Wednesday night, in them days that program was one of the few where you could see footy on the telly.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, December 10, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 10
Speaking of footy on telly - Prem games on saturday's at 7.45pm , , ,is this a new thing or been going on for a while?!
Posted by: Squinter, December 10, 2018, 5:17pm; Reply: 11
I had a fax machine years ago that used predict what team should be picked, like "Toner Out" , "Insert Black"  and it would always say "Reddy"
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 10, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Speaking of footy on telly - Prem games on saturday's at 7.45pm , , ,is this a new thing or been going on for a while?!

I think this was the first but I don't think  it will be the last
Posted by: golfer, December 10, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Gaffer58
Seeing as we're reminiscing, what about sports night with Coleman on a Wednesday night, in them days that program was one of the few where you could see footy on the telly.

The first live match I saw on the telly was Scotland v England from the West of Scotland cricket ground at Hamilton Crescent Partick
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 10, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 14

Seeing as we're reminiscing, remember the Grimsby Sports Telegraph that had a glum or smiley face on the front......depending on the result.
Posted by: GrimRob, December 10, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 15
What about the system for half-time scores they used to have at football? I only vaguely remember this, but basically, I think every game was allocated a letter in the program. There was an area in the ground with a load of letters and a place to put numbers, a bit like an old cricket scoreboard. And someone would put the halftime score numbers in the right slots, which meant nothing unless you had the programme which explained which letter corresponded to each game. Not sure where this area was at BP, I remember my dad taking me to a Sunderland game at Roker Park and them also having it there.

Also pre-mobile phone was the "terrace tranny", which was a small radio someone would have pressed to their ear (no headphones). Typically used near the end of the season when the other scores are important, but also useful when leaving the ground and you might overhear the odd result before you got the chance to hear or see them all properly.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 10, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 16
The excitement at BP when the the half-time scores were put up manually.  Simple pleasures.  Now you moan if you can’t get all the HT scores in seconds.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 10, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
What about the system for half-time scores they used to have at football? I only vaguely remember this, but basically, I think every game was allocated a letter in the program. There was an area in the ground with a load of letters and a place to put numbers, a bit like an old cricket scoreboard. And someone would put the halftime score numbers in the right slots, which meant nothing unless you had the programme which explained which letter corresponded to each game. Not sure where this area was at BP, I remember my dad taking me to a Sunderland game at Roker Park and them also having it there.

Also pre-mobile phone was the "terrace tranny", which was a small radio someone would have pressed to their ear (no headphones). Typically used near the end of the season when the other scores are important, but also useful when leaving the ground and you might overhear the odd result before you got the chance to hear or see them all properly.

In front of the Main Stand, at the left hand end as you looked at it from the Barrett Stand (if I recall correctly).

The 'terrace tranny'. The owner of which suddenly became popular as full time approached. (no smirking* at the back, Civvy).

* and no, that's not a Hull translation of 'pas de fumer'
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, December 10, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 18
First fax machines and now terrace tranny!! This is mind boggling stuff.

It’s actually depressing in a way how we do expect everything so fast now days and like the other day when we lost out on some data, people where behaving like they had lost a limb!
Posted by: golfer, December 11, 2018, 7:25am; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

In front of the Main Stand, at the left hand end as you looked at it from the Barrett Stand (if I recall correctly).

The 'terrace tranny'. The owner of which suddenly became popular as full time approached. (no smirking* at the back, Civvy).

* and no, that's not a Hull translation of 'pas de fumer'

For those who don't speak French means "walk quickly past the tramp "
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 11, 2018, 8:10am; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

A lad called Martin Branson used to be renowned for having one glued to his ear in the Pontoon when it was all standing. Sadly he went over to the dark side and started following Chelsea not seen him for years and no idea if he still carries the radio?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 11, 2018, 8:11am; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimRob

I think at GTFC it was in the Main stand near what`s now the disabled section 79/80 when I first started going?
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:42pm