Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, December 5, 2018, 12:05pm
Joins Bromley on a 1month loan

Good move for all 3 parties

He will do well for them, and good to see MJ preparing for January already
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 5, 2018, 12:11pm; Reply: 1
Good luck to him I still think there is a player in him.

Whether he can bring it out is another question.
Posted by: marinerdazza, December 5, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 2
Best for everyone really. Shame as it looked like he was coming along at the end of last season. Seemed a decent enough lad, hope he does well for them.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
Good luck to him I still think there is a player in him.

Whether he can bring it out is another question.

I sort of agree Pete but how long can you wait for that player to appear ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 5, 2018, 12:33pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I sort of agree Pete but how long can you wait for that player to appear ?

Well he got a 2 year contract and now has about 6 months of it left,

So if he can prove he is the real deal he better hurry up the clock is ticking.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 5
Great nightlife in Bromley.
Posted by: fiveallive, December 5, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 6
He probably leave on a free in January if Bromley are interested.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, December 5, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 7
Reading up JJ is from that area and lives 10 miles from the ground, do him the world of good and can see it becoming permanent in January
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 5, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 8
To me this suggests that a striker is on the agenda in the transfer window.
With Hooper being a fringe player currently we need to cut our cloth accordingly to enable arrivals in January
Posted by: Tommy, December 5, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Stew0_0
To me this suggests that a striker is on the agenda in the transfer window.
With Hooper being a fringe player currently we need to cut our cloth accordingly to enable arrivals in January

I wouldn't make that connection myself.

Hooper was very very rarely used as a striker. And without Hooper we've still got 5 strikers (not including Robles who appears to be cheap and making up the numbers).

If anything it'd suggest to me a wide player may be incoming. But right just be a case of freeing up some of the budget by offloading someone not making the 18-man squad.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 5, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Tommy

I wouldn't make that connection myself.

Hooper was very very rarely used as a striker. And without Hooper we've still got 5 strikers (not including Robles who appears to be cheap and making up the numbers).

If anything it'd suggest to me a wide player may be incoming. But right just be a case of freeing up some of the budget by offloading someone not making the 18-man squad.

We have one proven striker at the club plus Cardwell who is making his way in the game. We must recruit another surely?
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, December 5, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 11
Hooper didn't score enough for us, he wasnt clinical enough up top and his not league 2 level.

1 hatrick at the end of last season and some people thought he would smash it this season. Jolley game him enough chances and his clearly not good enough.

All the best Hooper at Bromley. utm
Posted by: Abdul19, December 5, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 12
Good luck to the lad, played well in the run that kept us up. Hope he does well and they want to sign him, to free up some wages.
Posted by: Tommy, December 5, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We have one proven striker at the club plus Cardwell who is making his way in the game. We must recruit another surely?

Not sure while we've still got 5 strikers.

And it depends how much we want Cardwell and A.Rose to develop (I think they both could develop into very useful players). As any new striker signing pushes them down the pecking order. And are we guaranteed goals from a new striker. Obviously nothings a guarantee, it'd take a proper "hairs on the back of your neck" signing to warrant bringing one in, for me.

Otherwise, don't bother. We've started scoring goals, we're starting to get a nice settled system and settled side. And we've got promising young players who with game time could really push on.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 5, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Great nightlife in Bromley.

Must have improved an awful lot since the mid-90s then,  ;D I moved over from that way then and it was thoroughly suburban.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 5, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 15
Problem with Hooper is he doesn't know how to play football. He's got physical attributes and the skill but he doesn't know what he's doing on a pitch.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 5, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 16
Problem with Hooper is he doesn't know how to play football. He's got physical attributes and the skill but he doesn't know what he's doing on a pitch.

Always thought similar. He probably trains really well. Technically, he is quite good but he doesn't use his physical attributes enough and he seems to lack a "football brain".

For his size, he doesn't win anywhere near enough headers and doesn't anticipate crosses, often stood flat footed in the box.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, December 5, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 17
For a striker, reading the game can be the most important attribute - getting in the right place at the right time - Sheringham, Lineker.

My son plays striker in his Sunday league team and scores a few.  He isn’t very skillful but a combination of football nous and pace means he is often the one popping the ball in the net.  He always says he mainly scores tap ins but I always reply that someone has to be there to tap it in.

Bit like Vernam’s goal on Saturday.  It was a bit of a scuff off his knee but if he hadn’t been onside and in the box at the right time, he wouldn’t have got the goal.
Posted by: Maringer, December 5, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 18
I think Hooper is decent in the air, but only when playing off the wing where he doesn't have to look both directions for the defender. Through the middle, he's not aware enough to get his body into the right position to shield it or make it difficult for the defender to get the ball.

A pity he's not pushed on after finishing last season well but I think he was helped by the work rate of Cardwell then who was absent when he was in the team this season. Not to mention, of course, we've signed some better players since then as well. I'd imagine he'll do decently well in the Conference but I'd think we would certainly need another striking option in the squad if he leaves. Lose Thomas to injury or suspension and we're then looking rather thin up top.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, December 5, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 19
Another Slade signing bites the dust
Posted by: Kris2, December 5, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Hooper didn't score enough for us, he wasnt clinical enough up top and his not league 2 level.

1 hatrick at the end of last season and some people thought he would smash it this season. Jolley game him enough chances and his clearly not good enough.

All the best Hooper at Bromley. utm

That hat trick came against a FGR side that were already on their holidays and didn't turn up to play. It seemed like potential is there but can see him as another player who shows potential as a young player but doesn't take his chances and slides down the leagues.
Posted by: Mariner_09, December 5, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 21
Difference about Jolley's removal of the Slade era is I have agreed with all of the decisions. Slade's systematic extermination of the Bignot era, and to a lesser extent the more successful Hurst era, almost always made we wince at how we had a heart to our club and then Slade ripped it out with seeming willfulness. This time I feel Jolley is attempting to bring a heart and soul back to the club, the players seem more energetic and genuinely care about what they're doing.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 5, 2018, 11:11pm; Reply: 22
Said before he arrived he was not good enough, every P Vale fan I know said he is not good enough and as it turns out he was not good enough. Good luck to him at Bromley a pity league football success still didn't happen for him here . :-/
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, December 6, 2018, 4:28am; Reply: 23
TBF he was given ample opportunity to show us what he could do but frustratingly he never fulfilled his potential we are not the first club to realise this.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, December 6, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
TBF he was given ample opportunity to show us what he could do but frustratingly he never fulfilled his potential we are not the first club to realise this.

WHS frustratingly there is a player in JJ but not seen enough to warrant anymore time being spent on him.
Posted by: Mallyner, December 6, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Kris2

That hat trick came against a FGR side that were already on their holidays and didn't turn up to play. It seemed like potential is there but can see him as another player who shows potential as a young player but doesn't take his chances and slides down the leagues.

I think it would be fair to let him go as he hasn't scored enough since,  but those goals were sublime shots.  :)
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 6, 2018, 12:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mallyner

I think it would be fair to let him go as he hasn't scored enough since,  but those goals were sublime shots.  :)

2 of them were. The first one just hit him.  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 6, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 27
Miles off what we need in terms of everything.  I don't doubt the lads effort but I don't think he really had the heart for it.  Frustrated the hell out of me when he would hide behind defenders rather than show for the ball.  Same with headers, yeah he might win the odd one but more often than not he would jump away from the ball, making sure he didn't have to contest it.

There's something in there, he showed enough glimpses to suggest he could be a good player for someone.  But his minuses massively outweigh his pluses.

Telling that we look a lot better all round since he's not in the side.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 6, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Said before he arrived he was not good enough, every P Vale fan I know said he is not good enough and as it turns out he was not good enough. Good luck to him at Bromley a pity league football success still didn't happen for him here . :-/

but to be fair they also said that Kelly was shite and look how....ohh...err  :o
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 6:42pm