Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, December 2, 2018, 5:56pm
When was the last time 2 local lads scored in the same game for town?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 2, 2018, 5:59pm; Reply: 1
Will guess around 2006-2008 (Bore, North and Taylor)
Posted by: LondonMariner43, December 2, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 2
Used to love the days of Lund and Wilkinson
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 2, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from LondonMariner43

And Drinkell

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 2, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Same, but for me the days of Mawer, Moore D, Moore K, Ford, Donovan and Drinkell will never be forgotten!
Posted by: Teesknees, December 2, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 5
Where is Charles Vernam from?
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 2, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Teesknees

Caistor as far as I know
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 2, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Teesknees

Caistor
Posted by: immariner, December 2, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 8
I was speaking to someone who was in the year above CV at school, and he said CV was/is a Scunny fan. And Harry was born in Hull, so neither of them are 10 on 10 'one of our own' perfect! 😃

Jokes aside, Clifton's been our best player in our little run of "form". I worried for him in his early appearances being played out wide/wing back, where he was adequate/toss, but now in his position, he looks the part. I'm not going to wax lyrical about his prospects because we've all seen young players quickly improve with a run of games, only to plateau and fall away. But the engine the lad has is something else. Pulling us along at the minute. Choo choo Harry!
Posted by: Kris2, December 3, 2018, 1:16am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Chrisblor

Caistor as far as I know

So where is the line where they become one of them and not one of us? When are they Lincoln,Scunny or Hull?
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 3, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 10
If we can't class Vernam as our own because he's from Caistor, we can't claim Louth born Paul Wilkinson either.

Clifton has come through own youth set-up and truly is one of our own.   It doesn't matter if he was born over the river or not.  

The important thing is that we look to have a young and hungry side who are prepared to run through brick walls for each other.  That's far more important than the name of a town on a birth certificate.  
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, December 3, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Kris2

So where is the line where they become one of them and not one of us? When are they Lincoln,Scunny or Hull?

We could do with someone producing a Venn diagram, anyone?
Posted by: Croxton, December 3, 2018, 8:50am; Reply: 12
Good to see the 'BARNETBY MARINERS' flag draped across the empty side stand yesterday. It's like the Scottish border country along the Wold escarpment. Beware of Raiders!
Posted by: Cloudy, December 3, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Croxton
Good to see the 'BARNETBY MARINERS' flag draped across the empty side stand yesterday. It's like the Scottish border country along the Wold escarpment. Beware of Raiders!

Wonder who wrote it out for them  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 3, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 14
The border towns used to be Barton, Brigg and Market Rasen. Always some flexibility in that depending on relative positions League positions.
Posted by: Kris2, December 3, 2018, 2:56pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The border towns used to be Barton, Brigg and Market Rasen. Always some flexibility in that depending on relative positions League positions.

What about south past Louth and Mablethorpe? Who do they support in Skegness? Hopefully not Boston.
Posted by: sisapon, December 3, 2018, 3:08pm; Reply: 16
according to wiki cv was born in london .
Posted by: Posh Harry, December 3, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Kris2

What about south past Louth and Mablethorpe? Who do they support in Skegness? Hopefully not Boston.

I was from Skeggy and have supported town since 1980. Dad gave me choice of going to see town or Lincoln. Thank feck I made the right choice!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 3, 2018, 9:26pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Kris2

Louth is definitely Town. Skeggy has answered the further southern reaches - it all gets a bit unpredictable the deeper towards the Fens you get. Probably prefer pole vaulting over water courses and counting sheep in 'Welsh'  ;)
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 3, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 19
Quick Q for fun, though not directly linked, who can remember the game on MOTD when 2 of the Moore brothers were on opposing teams, without WIKI who knows which 2 and who Town were playing?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 3, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Quick Q for fun, though not directly linked, who can remember the game on MOTD when 2 of the Moore brothers were on opposing teams, without WIKI who knows which 2 and who Town were playing?

Kevin and Dave. v Southampton?

Think there may have been a game v Fulham with Kevin at Fulham.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 3, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from immariner
I was speaking to someone who was in the year above CV at school, and he said CV was/is a Scunny fan. And Harry was born in Hull, so neither of them are 10 on 10 'one of our own' perfect! 😃
I've got access to ancestry.co.uk, looking at Harry Cliftons birth record he's registered in North East Lincolnshire.  If he was born in Hull he would be registered in Yorkshire East Riding?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 3, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I've got access to ancestry.co.uk, looking at Harry Cliftons birth record he's registered in North East Lincolnshire.  If he was born in Hull he would be registered in Yorkshire East Riding?

Depends which registry office his parents used. I think.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 3, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 23
Depends which registry office his parents used. I think.
H'mm not sure then, for Clifton it says Inferred County: Lincolnshire. Registration district: North East Lincolnshire.

Charles Vernam, Inferred County: Lincolnshire. Registration district: Lincoln.

People from Hull normally states Inferred County: Yorkshire East Riding and Registration district either Beverley or Holderness.

Kinda crazy you can access anyones birth certificates for £22.99 on ancestry.co.uk. Older generations are usually viewable on there for free.
Posted by: LH, December 4, 2018, 12:08am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Kinda crazy you can access anyones birth certificates for £22.99 on ancestry.co.uk.

Yeah and a bit weird to actually do it...
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 4, 2018, 12:14am; Reply: 25

Kevin and Dave. v Southampton?

Think there may have been a game v Fulham with Kevin at Fulham.

Dave {Blackpool) v Kev (Town) believe it or not, though its always possible one of the other games is right.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2018, 2:06am; Reply: 26

Dave {Blackpool) v Kev (Town) believe it or not, though its always possible one of the other games is right.

I do believe it. I’ve not googled it mind.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 4, 2018, 10:21am; Reply: 27
anyway back to the original question.when was the last time 2 local players scored for gtfc in the same game?
Posted by: marinerdazza, December 4, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 28
Give over with the Barnetby bashng. Always been a GTFC outpost. I think you can still make out the words "Town Kill Scunny" spray painted on the subway wall at the bottom of Kings Road. Must've been there from the late 70s at least.
Posted by: caistormariner, December 4, 2018, 11:08am; Reply: 29
I know Charles Mum and Dad and he was born and lived locally he went to Caistor Grammar and his mum and dad still live locally so surely he is one of our own!!
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2018, 11:26am; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano
anyway back to the original question.when was the last time 2 local players scored for gtfc in the same game?

From stealing AdamHaddock's response and a quick butchers at Soccerbase, I reckon this:

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4014
Posted by: mirrorballman, December 4, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 31

Dave was with Blackpool from 84-86, we didn't play them during this time. There was a Match of the Day in 1984 when we were on, drawing 1-1 against Man City, and Dave was on with Blackpool. He scored his only goal for Blackpool I believe in that game. Is that what you are thinking of?

We did play against Kev at Oldham shortly after he left. I'm not sure but Andy may have played in that game.
Posted by: Grimal, December 4, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

I'll ask Harry's Grandad on thursday,he'll know.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 4, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Kinda crazy you can access anyones birth certificates for £22.99 on ancestry.co.uk. Older generations are usually viewable on there for free.
Quoted from LH
Yeah and a bit weird to actually do it...
Handy though if anyone is doing a family tree. Under UK legislation, birth certificates are designated as 'public records', and as such anyone can request a duplicate certificate to be produced. For births that occurred within the past 50 years, you must be able to provide the full details of that birth - D.o.B, birth place, father's/mother's full and maiden names, etc.

Heir hunters will readily access the information as well, when no will is left and no immediate family.  Websites like the above will charge commission anyway for certificates. For anyone doing a family tree etc, it's best to go directly through the Goverment, costs £9.25 >> https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Wikipedia is quite strict when citing ref sources due to their biographies of living persons policy and rightly so. Websites like ancestry.co.uk and findmypast.co.uk can't be used: (link won't work due to fishy URL website bug) [img]https://i.imgur.com/8vAPLVI.jpg[/img]
Quoted Text
Exercise extreme caution in using primary sources. Do not use trial transcripts and other court records, or other public documents, to support assertions about a living person. Do not use public records that include personal details, such as date of birth, home value, traffic citations, vehicle registrations, and home or business addresses.

Where primary-source material has been discussed by a reliable secondary source, it may be acceptable to rely on it to augment the secondary source, subject to the restrictions of this policy, no original research, and the other sourcing policies.
Posted by: sam gy, December 4, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 34
Wasn't aware that Harry was born in Hull, but he has definitely lived in Cleethorpes from a very young age and a load of his family live in Grimsby/Cleethorpes and are Town fans.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Grimal

I'll ask Harry's Grandad on thursday,he'll know.

I’ve’ve had a few pints over the years with Bill is grandad smashing bloke
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 4, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 36
As for the divide as you head south, there’s quite a few Town in S Lincs not all of us are exiles. Horncastle and Coningsby is about the edge of it.
Posted by: Grimal, December 5, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I’ve had a few pints over the years with Bill is grandad smashing bloke

He sure is, one of the old school.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 5, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 38
I was from Mablethorpe originally.  Footy fans supported Town and a bus went to every home game until the early 1970s (when a window got smashed).

My dad said that in the 1930s buses went to Town games from Boston and Skegness.  We were a big attraction then.
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 5, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 39
I am from Skeg and have supported Town since I was 8when my dad's mate wasn't going we used to catch the train from Firsby straight to Grimsby in 40 mins.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:55am