Posted by: CodHead, December 2, 2018, 11:52am
England have been drawn with

C Republic
Bulgaria
Montenegro
Kosovo
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 2, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 1

Happy with that group for us.

Tough on Northern Ireland ..........drawn in the same group as Holland and Germany.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 2, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 2
And even if we don't somehow win the group, we've still got a spot in the playoffs because of the Nations League.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, December 2, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
And even if we don't somehow win the group, we've still got a spot in the playoffs because of the Nations League.

If we can’t win that group we should pack up the game altogether.

Posted by: GrimRob, December 2, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 4
We still qualify if we come second I think. Then we have a further chance after that in the play-offs? Southgate has been dealt a good hand again, he's a lucky manager.
Posted by: Maringer, December 2, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 5
Czech Republic aren't the team they were a few years back so we certainly ought to be too strong for those countries.

The 'tournament' itself will be shite, though. Playing a load of games in cities spread across Europe does not a tournament make. It's almost as though the bigwigs at UEFA don't have a clue.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 2, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 6
How the intercourse is Israel in Europe?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, December 3, 2018, 10:29am; Reply: 7
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
How the intercourse is Israel in Europe?

It's wherever it wants to be and anyone who argues against them is an antisemite.

Posted by: Maringer, December 3, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 8
Well, no.

Israel were expelled from the AFC some years ago (back in the 1970s, I think?) which was probably the best thing as most of their neighbours in the region refused to play them in any competition, it wouldn't be safe for them to play any away games and away fans from their neighbours wouldn't get an entry visa.

It was decided that the best thing would be to bung them in UEFA. Probably the best choice, all things considered, though not exactly ideal.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 3, 2018, 2:01pm; Reply: 9
Makes a lot more sense than Australia playing in Asia!
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 3, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob
We still qualify if we come second I think. Then we have a further chance after that in the play-offs? Southgate has been dealt a good hand again, he's a lucky manager.

We topped a three-team group that featured a side that were World Cup finalists four months ago and a side that are still classed as one of the heavy hitters in the world.  That was from a poor start and required a win away at Spain and then beating the World Cup finalists at home in the final two games.

Not sure you can say he's lucky.  He's a very good international manager who is making the most of the supply stream of talent presented to him, a stream he helped develop.
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 3, 2018, 6:30pm; Reply: 11
I just think it's great that when we play such as France, Germany Spain etc we actually think we can win, whereas over the last 40 years those teams usually beat us.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 3, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 12
Netherlands in the Europa Nations League thingy semi final next June and Portugal play Switzerland
Shame I wanted to play the Dutch in the final would have been a great final I think
Still so long as we stick it up Ronaldo
Posted by: GrimRob, December 3, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from diehardmariner

We topped a three-team group that featured a side that were World Cup finalists four months ago and a side that are still classed as one of the heavy hitters in the world.  That was from a poor start and required a win away at Spain and then beating the World Cup finalists at home in the final two games.

Not sure you can say he's lucky.  He's a very good international manager who is making the most of the supply stream of talent presented to him, a stream he helped develop.

When I said he was lucky I didn't mean that he was overachieving more that he was blessed. I rate him but sometimes the cards just fall your way, like the way the draw opened out in the World Cup and the fact that this extra tournament just happened to come along during his watch. Likewise, the glut of good young players lined up for the next decade. He only got the job by complete chance as well! It's really as though the world has arranged all the pieces in his favour.  The Football Gods shine upon Gareth Southgate and nearly everyone likes him. I certainly do, always have done.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 3, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Abdul19
Makes a lot more sense than Australia playing in Asia!

Or Kazakhstan in Europe. They have a border with China FFS. You can't get much deeper into Asia than that before you start coming out the other side!

Plus, Turkey was always the border between Europe and Asia, what with Istanbul being on the European side and the bulk of the country in Asia (the clue's in the title - 'Asia Minor'!). Yet beyond Turkey we have Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.
Posted by: kamakazebear, December 4, 2018, 1:33am; Reply: 15
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Or Kazakhstan in Europe. They have a border with China FFS. You can't get much deeper into Asia than that before you start coming out the other side!

Plus, Turkey was always the border between Europe and Asia, what with Istanbul being on the European side and the bulk of the country in Asia (the clue's in the title - 'Asia Minor'!). Yet beyond Turkey we have Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia.

If Australia can enter the Eurovision Song Contest, anything is possible!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2018, 2:03am; Reply: 16
Quoted from kamakazebear

If Australia can enter the Eurovision Song Contest, anything is possible!

Oz qualifies for that fair and square by being the campest country in the world. 😆
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 4, 2018, 7:48am; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

When I said he was lucky I didn't mean that he was overachieving more that he was blessed. I rate him but sometimes the cards just fall your way, like the way the draw opened out in the World Cup and the fact that this extra tournament just happened to come along during his watch. Likewise, the glut of good young players lined up for the next decade. He only got the job by complete chance as well! It's really as though the world has arranged all the pieces in his favour.  The Football Gods shine upon Gareth Southgate and nearly everyone likes him. I certainly do, always have done.  

I get what you're saying, but I'm not even sure I agree that the cards fell that much in his favour in the World Cup.  Whilst you can argue we had a relatively easy route to the semi-finals, I think that goes more on the pre-tournament conception of who would do well and who wouldn't.  Who actually had a tough route?  The last year has seen a massive power shift at the top table.  The teams that have dominated the last decade are simply spent forces.  Southgate recognised the pending tide change and got ahead of the curve.  Out went the old guard and in came a new fresh England, one capable of playing a game he recognised.  Whilst I'm sure most will think it was the right decision to offload Rooney, Hart, Cahill etc. many a manager wouldn't have done that because it was the easy choice to stick with them.  The decision to go with back 3 on the eve of the tournament was bold, brave and brilliant.  He deserves credit for recognising and acknowledging that we weren't quite there yet and had to adapt just for the tournament.

In terms of luck, had we had a little against Croatia we would have been out of sight by half-time.  

His appointment, I agree with what you're saying.  I think he was the next in line after Big Sam but it would probably be about now that he was taking charge. At the time I thought Sam was the right man but Southgate has proven that he should have had the job all along.
Posted by: Abdul19, December 4, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think the eastern Europe-Asia border is the Ural river, so about 1% of Kazakhstan is in Europe (although obviously they play their games about a million miles east of here). This might be nonsense though, I've not done any of my usual high intensity checks (Wikipedia or an episode of Pointless)
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 4, 2018, 9:21am; Reply: 19
So if we lose all our group games we're through anyway due to the nations cup thingy? It's all the start of a closed shop in the premier, certain clubs always in the champions league, eventually clubs like Town will have to accept division 2 is the best we'll ever be because we don't reach the criteria required for division 1.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 4:34pm