Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 30, 2018, 7:57pm

Just kicked off (Live BBC 2)

FA Cup Second Round ......looking forward to this one with Yussuf and Osborne playing for Solihull tonight.

Posted by: LH, November 30, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 1
Luke Maxwell also.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, November 30, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 2
I want Solihull to win but I want Danny Wright to break his leg.
Posted by: hheh2, November 30, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 3
Still think Osborne is class and good for us. Shame he didn't feel the same
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from hheh2

Was it him or did Russell Slade really urine him off?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 30, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I want Solihull to win but I want Danny Wright to break his leg.

i wouldnt wish that on any footballer....

his neck on the other hand (icon_twisted)
Posted by: chaos33, November 30, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 6
I reckon both Yussuf and Osborne both capable of L2 football, but maybe they don't want it.
Posted by: lukeo, November 30, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 7
What are peoples views of the 'offside' at first I agreed but then see the ball didn't get 'passed' forward it was stopped by the player with his foot.. Hmm
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 30, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo
What are peoples views of the 'offside' at first I agreed but then see the ball didn't get 'passed' forward it was stopped by the player with his foot.. Hmm

Solihull were robbed of a perfectly good goal in my opinion.

Posted by: chaos33, November 30, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 9
Solihull hard done by there
Posted by: oochiad, November 30, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 10
Robbed!
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from lukeo

I don't think it mentions passing the ball forward in the rules just that it had to be touched by a team mate and when Osborne touched the ball he was on the touchline and there for was in an offside position.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 30, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 12

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46408172
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

There were not any Blackpool players on the goal line so he clearly came back from an offside position.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 30, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from hheh2

Osborne like Yousef and arguably Asante where tempted to the club by Bignot who then threw them into the physical and mental demands of professional “full time” football, a career that many take a good few years rather than weeks to grow into.

Physically and mentally it just looked too much of a challenge in too short a time. I wonder if they look back at Bignot and think he made promises he couldn’t keep........... funny that as I’m sure many others have too.

To blame Slade for Osborne’s departure may or may not be right nobody on here really knows but “professionals” at most clubs adapt to management changes that’s what makes them professional.

What is a shame is I feel if these lads had been retained and maybe played a bit under MJ they just might have been given a fighting chance.
Posted by: Mikoo, November 30, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 15
Solihull look like a very good football team
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 30, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Osborne like Yousef and arguably Asante where tempted to the club by Bignot who then threw them into the physical and mental demands of professional “full time” football, a career that many take a good few years rather than weeks to grow into.

Physically and mentally it just looked too much of a challenge in too short a time. I wonder if they look back at Bignot and think he made promises he couldn’t keep........... funny that as I’m sure many others have too.

To blame Slade for Osborne’s departure may or may not be right nobody on here really knows but “professionals” at most clubs adapt to management changes that’s what makes them professional.

What is a shame is I feel if these lads had been retained and maybe played a bit under MJ they just might have been given a fighting chance.

I might be wrong but I thought Slade didn't want to play any of Bignot's signings.
Posted by: golfer, November 30, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33
I reckon both Yussuf and Osborne both capable of L2 football, but maybe they don't want it.

I thought they were but both seemed very "clumsy" tonight.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 30, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from arryarryarry

I might be wrong but I thought Slade didn't want to play any of Bignot's signings.

How do you know this?
Posted by: Abdul19, December 1, 2018, 1:18am; Reply: 19
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Just to be pedantic, Yussuf had been a FL player for 18 months when we signed him.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 20

In other news......(BT Sport 1 Live now)  latest.....struggling Southampton 2-0 Man Utd.......even Fergie was laughing in the stands when the second went in.
Posted by: Meza, December 1, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 21
I hope he stays he's doing a awesome job is the special one lol
Posted by: Gaffer58, December 1, 2018, 6:58pm; Reply: 22
Bet he's dreading the sack, getting paid off in millions and then walking into another top job on millions.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 23

FT......Southampton 2-2 Man Utd.......Jose surely now under even more pressure.

Now looking forward to the Wrexham v Newport cup game Live on BT Sport (20:00) and yet more ex Town players.

Then off to the pub to watch Fury get knocked out.....it's a hard life   ;D
Posted by: Cloudy, December 1, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 24

FT......Southampton 2-2 Man Utd.......Jose surely now under even more pressure.

Now looking forward to the Wrexham v Newport cup game Live on BT Sport (20:00) and yet more ex Town players.

Then off to the pub to watch Fury get knocked out.....it's a hard life   ;D

Isn’t the fight due to start after 4am?
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Cloudy

Isn’t the fight due to start after 4am?

I'll ask if we can have a lock-in then   ;D

Posted by: Civvy at last, December 1, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 26

I'll ask if we can have a lock-in then   ;D

Then making your way to Chesterfield straight from the pub.

Well played that man 🍺🍺⚽️😄
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 27

Wrexham v Newport........Wrexham on top at the moment, Podge has hardly touched the ball so far so he'll get a hat-trick.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 1, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 28
Wrexham have been all over NEwport this first half, Summerfield is running the midfield, but he's going to get booked by this ref you can see it already.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 1, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 29
Summerfield is hardly bossing the midfield, he's anonymous, passing backwards or sideways when he does get the ball.  Useless at set pieces, a team with Summerfield in, is never going to score many goals.
Posted by: Tommy, December 1, 2018, 9:51pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Summerfield is hardly bossing the midfield, he's anonymous, passing backwards or sideways when he does get the ball.  Useless at set pieces, a team with Summerfield in, is never going to score many goals.

This is where a bias takes over.

You must've ignored all the forward passes and only chosen to notice the sideways/backwards passes, that are often the right decision to keep possession. They just nearly scored from a Summerfield free kick too for a bit more balance.
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 1, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 31

Amond poor tonight.....Shaun Pearson gets MOTM
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, December 1, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 32
That's the first of all the corners and free kicks that has had a positive effect. The rest of the match he been ineffectual.
Posted by: LH, December 1, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 33
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player or even a team hit every set piece in a match exactly where they want them to go. Isn’t it something daft like 2% of corners result in a goal?
Posted by: moosey_club, December 2, 2018, 12:39am; Reply: 34
Quoted from LH
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player or even a team hit every set piece in a match exactly where they want them to go. Isn’t it something daft like 2% of corners result in a goal?

Probably...but thats where Cambridge, Watford, Wimbledon, Lincoln just adapted their style to play for corners and set pieces....up the number you get and the likelehood you will score increases...playing the percentages.
I think the analyst. that Graham Taylor based his approach on had presented the case that most goals were scored with no more than 3 prior touches for the team.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 2, 2018, 1:16am; Reply: 35
Quoted from moosey_club

Probably...but thats where Cambridge, Watford, Wimbledon, Lincoln just adapted their style to play for corners and set pieces....up the number you get and the likelehood you will score increases...playing the percentages.
I think the analyst. that Graham Taylor based his approach on had presented the case that most goals were scored with no more than 3 prior touches for the team.

Charles Hughes?
Posted by: Maringer, December 2, 2018, 9:55am; Reply: 36
Yep, which led to a great example of the law of unintended consequences as managers such as Taylor looked at the surface of the stats and decided that it meant the best way to score was to get it into the opposition box as quickly as possible, which led to decades of HOOFball in England.

I'd say our recent tactics of 11 men in the box to defend set pieces is a similar example of looking at the stats but not the wider view. You'll never persuade me that getting everyone back instead of leaving one or two players further upfield is the best way to defend them.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 3, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Maringer
Yep, which led to a great example of the law of unintended consequences as managers such as Taylor looked at the surface of the stats and decided that it meant the best way to score was to get it into the opposition box as quickly as possible, which led to decades of HOOFball in England.

I'd say our recent tactics of 11 men in the box to defend set pieces is a similar example of looking at the stats but not the wider view. You'll never persuade me that getting everyone back instead of leaving one or two players further upfield is the best way to defend them.

Me neither.....just having a single player up would occupy at least 2 opposition and give us a fighting chance of preventing the ball coming straight back.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:24pm