Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bigdog, November 27, 2018, 9:57pm
What a cracking game that was. Could get used to being entertained watching Town. An open game which was fairly inevitable due to the wind and conditions underfoot. Extremely difficult to defend with the wind howling into our faces first half but as soon as MJ swapped over Embleton for Vernam the game changed. After that I thought our midfield five were incredible. Their desire to win the ball by hunting in a pack and some of the interplay was outstanding. Macca kept us in it at 1-0 and those saves changed the game too.  Fox looks like he needs games, so that’s another one under his belt and we were sloppy for their first, but credit to the lads, they’re looking more like a cohesive unit full of energy. Same eleven on Sunday please.
Best game for Harry Clifton in a Town shirt and a wonderful header to boot from a quality Vernam cross, and I thought Hessenthaler steadied the midfield while Embleton oozed class and deserved his well-taken goal at the death. Tranmere aren’t a bad side and scored the goal of the game but we just outharried, outran and outpassed them for the last hour of the game and were first to the second balls time after time. Really positive signs and hope for the rest of the season..
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 27, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 1

Well what can you say....first 20 mins we were shocking....and then we started believing and what a game, some great football from Town.

To be honest when I looked out of the window at the rain I'm not sure I would have bothered but I'm a season ticket holder so it makes you go to games that you may well have missed, hurrah for my season ticket.

I'm the first to criticise MJ so well done tonight, you and the rest of the squad should all be proud of yourselves.

A very happy Mariner tonight   :)
Posted by: mariner tommy, November 27, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 2
Once we equalised we were full of running, confidence and belief.
A great performance all round, well worth getting wet and cold for. In one word, impressive.
UTM
Posted by: lukeo, November 27, 2018, 10:19pm; Reply: 3
9 points off the play offs ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 27, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 4
Excellent last 60 minutes, Embleton different class but two great assists by Vernam and great displays by Hess and Harry. Special mention for Welshy's pass for the fifth too.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 27, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

Well what can you say....first 20 mins we were shocking....and then we started believing and what a game, some great football from Town.

To be honest when I looked out of the window at the rain I'm not sure I would have bothered but I'm a season ticket holder so it makes you go to games that you may well have missed, hurrah for my season ticket.

I'm the first to criticise MJ so well done tonight, you and the rest of the squad should all be proud of yourselves.

A very happy Mariner tonight   :)

We were out numbered but MJ changed the formation and after that we dominated midfield.

Have to say their number 6 was outstanding but the central midfield 3 of Embleton, Clifton and Hessenthaler were wonderful tonight.

Macca’s as save at 1-0 was vital and I assume Thomas’s goal has been discussed on other threads. Clear handball but officials didn’t spot it. How many times have we had ropey decisions go against us?

Heard on the radio on the way back that our last 8 league goals have been scored by 8 different players (?)
Posted by: RonMariner, November 27, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 6
7 points from those last three league games is excellent going.

Putting 8 past MK Dons and Tranmere is also pretty impressive.

On this form we wont be relegation candidates.
Posted by: GTFCH, November 27, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 7
Correct they have! Good sign.
Rose.A
Vernam
Cardwell
Clifton
Thomas
Davis
Rose
Embleton
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 27, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RonMariner
7 points from those last three league games is excellent going.

Putting 8 past MK Dons and Tranmere is also pretty impressive.

On this form we wont be relegation candidates.

8 different goal scorers in the last 3 games as well which will be massive for belief and morale.
Posted by: GTFCH, November 27, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 9
Also...Not many league 2 teams will be able to claim this season that they have scored a goal assist and scored by two local lads. UTFM
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 27, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 10
We are currently going through a tough run of games and more than holding our own. If we can beat those around us also, we will start to pull away and maybe even start to dream.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 27, 2018, 10:57pm; Reply: 11
Who was it who posted they couldn’t see us picking up a point during Nov? ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, November 27, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 12
Proper squally night under the floodlights....great all round entertainment for the just over 3000 home support....dodgy goals, good goals, good saves, penalty
Thought we started ok really, got in  behind them a couple of times before we gave the goal away and their right winger then started ripping Fox apart so looked like it was going to be a long evening.
But i think Clifton in particular dragged us into it with effort and drive and took his team mates with him, great header from him for his first Town goal...fully deserved on the back of his improving performances and stature.
Thomas...hmmm...at the time it looked suspicious....when the highlights started to trickle through it was quite funny how obvious it was.

Cracking start to the second half with a scrappy but determined third goal....another poor goal to give away, ball given away fairly cheaply by Pringle but following that we allowed them to progress 70 -80 yds without really being challenged.

Rose comes on and scores a penalty almost instantly, Norwood for them was signalling to the keeper where to go as he got the message from the bench but no one was stopping that  and the icing on the cake a great goal on the counter with Embleton finishing nicely to cap a fine evening for him.

Pringle's corner delivery, Cliftons energy, Embleton's craft all noteworthy as well as a couple of saves from Macca....still some hairy moments though with the ball running loose in our area more than i would like but all in all goo value for the win and one of the best nights entertainment in recent years.

UTM

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 27, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 13
With 8 different goal-scorers for the last 8 league goals, we don’t need a new striker in January.  ;)

Teams don’t know who to watch now to stop the goal-fest from Town!
Posted by: Zmariner, November 27, 2018, 11:31pm; Reply: 14
Seen all the home league games this season and this was the first confident performance for me. Tranmere were decent and we hassled them after the first 20 minutes. We were very good in possession as well. Midfield had real energy and I have not seen that this season. A great performance and great tactics by MJ after the first 20 mins as well utm
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 27, 2018, 11:51pm; Reply: 15
Not many months ago I said Clifton is a better player than Summerfield , Harry hadn't even made his debut by that point ....the fishy experts laughed
Posted by: Maringer, November 27, 2018, 11:55pm; Reply: 16
I think the big positive (not just the number of goals scored!) was the grit we showed to come back from a goal behind in in the face of appalling weather conditions. The wind and rain mostly blew itself out soon after the start of the second half so they had it a heck of a lot easier than us when playing into the wind but it was bloody hard work for us in the first.

I've been very impressed with Davis in the centre of defence since his return from injury as he's barely put a foot wrong. One of the first names on the sheet now for me and the rest of the defence did quite well, though Fox is still not quite back into the swing of things following his injury.

Hessenthaler seems to have finally settled into the team as well and you can see why Mitch Rose isn't getting starts at the moment. Just not as dynamic as the other midfielders who are playing at the moment.

One slight concern I have is that Jolley is a little slow to make subs when we're in the lead but beginning to tire. They emptied their bench pretty quickly and we had quite a few players who were clearly knackered after that first half, but it wasn't until late on that we made any changes and that helped to stop our wobble after they got one back.
Posted by: sydney, November 27, 2018, 11:58pm; Reply: 17
Would understand all reasons to not go tonight
We where thinking same on long drive in poor weather
Champions League
Can’t be bothered etc
But u missed a cracker
We played great especially the midfield, we zipped the ball around as well as Villagers did on opening day of the season
A fantastic performance and a  Lot of bite against a good side in tuff conditions
Don’t miss many more games from this young improving side
Don’t change it too much now MJ
Well done to all on an excellent performance and much deserved result
Come on Town!!
Posted by: sydney, November 28, 2018, 12:07am; Reply: 18
Can we make it a hat trick of home grown and get max Wright back please?
Posted by: Stew0_0, November 28, 2018, 12:08am; Reply: 19
Great team performance but stand out performers for me again were Hessenthaler and Clifton. They are both full of energy and endeavour and Harry is growing into a quality player. Vernam, Pringle and Embleton were very good and a decent Tranmere team couldnt handle our midfield at all.
Good to see the goals coming from all round the team now and roll on Sunday.
UTMM
Posted by: Cloudy, November 28, 2018, 6:52am; Reply: 20
Thought Davis was caught out for their first, didn’t seem to know whether to try and cut out the through ball or chase back, and in the end did neither, however thought both he and Whitmore handled two strong experienced strikers very well overall.

For their 2nd Pringle was caught in possession but prior to that we must have had 20+ passes,moving in around quickly which had the Birkenheadians chasing shadows! Personally I think we need to encourage that sort of play not booing when it breaks down, which it will on occasions.

The first goal was the result of a very good passing movement down the rhs with Hendrie and Verham and the through ball from the much maligned Welsh for the 5th was exquisite.

Not many there but IF we can start to produce that sort of level of performance on a regular basis the crowds will grow.

Loved it!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 28, 2018, 6:57am; Reply: 21
Been a while since I have genuinely watched a League game at BP and been thrilled with what I witnessed.That was a great 90 mins of football  and Tranmere looked a decent side that just had one of those nights where it all went wrong their no 6 best CB I have seen in League 2 oozed class whilst all around him fell apart. Town`s midfield with that energy will be very very hard for anyone to beat and Harry Clifton must surely be in Jolley`s mind for next GTFC Captain. I don`t want to go over the top but that was a league 2 level Keane/Gerrard type performance grabbed his team by the scruff of the neck and won us the game.UTM Chesterfield YOU ARE NEXT
Posted by: mariner91, November 28, 2018, 8:45am; Reply: 22
That was a fabulous performance and I'm really glad I made the effort to go. We started horribly and I really thought we might have been on the end of a pasting. However, after the first 20 minutes we were dominant. Played some beautiful football at times with a real energy and loads of movement, almost Buckley-esque at times.

As others have mentioned the pressing from the midfield was great, not allowing Tranmere any time to breathe and winning the ball high up. This was precisely what I was hoping we would get from a Jolley team and it's great to see it finally coming to the fore. I thought the defence looked solid and I would like to see Whitmore and Davis continue as I the team looked more comfortable with them than DC. Fox still looks a bit short of match sharpness but we know he's more than capable when up to speed. Great save from Macca too when it was 1-0 to them, probably a game changing save when put in context.

There's still a long way to go in this season and we know we're equally as capable of putting on a stinking performance as we are a decent one and this needs to change. However, the performance last night was miles better than any game last season against an opposition who are no mugs themselves. We will still need a couple of reinforcements in January in key positions but we've got the basis in terms of personnel and game plan of a good team. We shouldn't underestimate the size of the job MJ has on considering who he's working under but we're definitely going in the right direction and should trust him on last night's showing.
Posted by: Maringer, November 28, 2018, 8:48am; Reply: 23
Their first goal was mostly the fault of McKeown for me. He came rushing out and didn't get there when the ball was towards the side of the penalty area and continuing to roll forward, making the angle ever-tighter. It would have taken a hell of a left-footed shot from a right footed striker and from a tight angle to beat him if he'd stayed in his line. It was actually a very good bit of play from their bald midfielder and good movement which created the chance, though you would hope that the defence would have covered a bit better.

We saw both the good and the bad from McKeown last night. Error for the first, great save soon after that, almost caught out off his line (though he got back and stopped the lofted shot), followed by some good handling during the rest of the game. Not a problem, however, as he win us more points than he costs us.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 28, 2018, 8:58am; Reply: 24
I do worry why McKeown comes so far out of his area when the ball is in the oppositions half, particularly when they have the wind behind them. Tranmere could have had pot shots each time they regained possession with him in no mans land.
Posted by: Tommy, November 28, 2018, 10:50am; Reply: 25
What an enjoyable game.

First half we started very slowly and didn't play any football. Tranmere knocked it around nicely and scored a very well-taken goal through Norwood.

Key moment was our tactical change (same as at Northampton) to move Embleton central and Vernam out wide to bolster our numbers in midfield. Literally as soon as MJ made this change we upped the intensity of our work rate and pressing too. The strengthening of midfield allowed us to get closer to them quicker, but also allowed us to build possession through midfield, which we were previously struggling to do and having to go longer or into channels.
And after our last few managers it's nice to see one actively seeing things going wrong/not working early and changing it to swing it in our favour.

Scored an excellent equaliser from the ever-improving Clifton but also worth noting we had 3 players in the box for the cross from Vernam.

2nd goal was obviously a blatant handball. Shocking from the officials to not see it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because we get some horrendous decisions against us at times. However, watch Thomas' movement whilst Vernam is slipping the fullback stepovers - fantastic little double movement from the striker going in short then pulling away behind the defender.

2nd half we started on the front foot and the early goal from Davis probably knocked a bit of belief out of Tranmere.

As the half went on we were much the better side really and although there were a few spells where it was quite open and looked like there could be a goal at either end, I felt we were the stronger side. We looked a confident side spraying the ball about, working it across midfield.

Hessenthaler excellent for the 2nd game in a row, Clifton a good supporting act too. Embleton very very good after the switch into the middle and Vernam was a threat too - receiving the ball a bit deeper facing forward to run at the opposition rather than up top with his back to goal.

Fox struggled first half but was a different player 2nd half. Hendrie goes about his business quietly and effectively and Pringle showed plenty of quality, composure and consistently good decision-making. Really liking Davis at centre-back too, a real calming, classy influence on the back line.

Tranmere's 2nd was a fantastic strike but it didn't phase us and didn't send us into a nervous panic as I worried it might when the lead was cut to one goal. Davis won our pen, which if you count that as an assist (I am doing) that's 3 assists for Davis in the last 3 games.

Interesting to see M.Rose(P) take a penalty with no massive pressure for a change. Don't get me wrong, it could've had an impact on the momentum of the game had he missed, but he's usually taken them at 0-0, sometimes very late on, to nick us a 1-0 win. Great pen right in the top corner.

And what a goal to finish with. Lovely move involving Welsh, who read the play and intercepted, played a one-two with Cardwell and then slipped a perfect ball into the path of Embleton who'd made a great 3rd man run whilst Welsh & Cardwell combined. Lovely composure to check back inside the defender and finish too.

Good entertainment, good football from Town after the initial half hour, and a good intensity and organisation to everything we did out of possession after that first half hour too.

Encouraging signs:
- we now look like a side that can score goals.
- we now look like a side that doesn't crumble or go to pieces mentally after conceding a goal.
- got a settled side now and not needing to chop and change
- squad is looking stronger and we're able to bring players off the bench that add something (3 goals from substitutes in last 3 games and Cardwell and Welsh also adding something to our performance last night).
- good home form continues.

UTM
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 28, 2018, 11:11am; Reply: 26
Cracking post that Tommy - a thoroughly enjoyable read , , better than most journo-'s that mate
Posted by: Mallyner, November 28, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 27
As Tommy mentioned we have a really good bench now, apart from Saturday when he wasnt on it, a very good keeper, players who can shore up the game and players who can come on and score. In many recent seasons the bench has usually consisted of fairly average midfielders, with little chance of changing a game.  :)
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 28, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 28
Jolley said at the beginning of the season that he wanted high energy, last night was the first time I have really seen that. Hopefully, the team is finally gelling and playing the way Jolley wants them to.

Hess, Embleton, Pringle, Vernam and Clifton all possess different qualities but last night as a unit, they were almost unplayable at times.

Not sure why McNulty went off at HT but I bet he was pleased he wasn't chasing their shadows in the second half.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 28, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 29
I thought Hessenthaler was excellent. Him siiting deeper seems to be freeing up Vernam, Pringle, Clifton and Emnleton to get on the ball and express themselves. When was the last time we had a centre mid bursting into the box to get on the end of a cross?
Posted by: RichMariner, November 28, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 30
I haven't been to a game all season so rely on the highlights.

I've watched the good, the bad and the ugly, but the extended highlights of last night's win gave me real faith that some sort of corner has been turned.

That's not to say the pivotal moment happened last night. It could've been the second half comeback against MK Dons. It could've been that late winner from Akheem Rose. It could've been the double fightback at Northampton.

Basically, we've started doing things that we've spent all season not doing, e.g. scoring goals, particularly in the second half; coming from behind, winning tight, scrappy games.

It's all positive stuff and maybe, in the future, we'll look back on those six games that Jolley lost in a row and be grateful that we all stood by him (well, the majority of us - there were some dissenting voices on here, I seem to remember).

Clifton is emerging into a real talent now and I think the confidence he got from a three-year deal is a massive factor in that. Also, being played in his best position also helps!

Lots to enjoy, and lots to be positive about considering we're still 18th in League 2.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 28, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 31
Lets not get carried away from last night great result,

BUT

As MJ said in his post match interview " when we were losing games earlier in the season we were not as bad as many made out and now although we have improved we are not as good as many will say  BUT  we are improving BUT we are not the finish article yet "

Not sure about all the buts ,

BUT

He said something along those lines,  ;D
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, November 28, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 32
LOL  That is the thing with this board, we are either abject or sublime.  There is no middle ground which is where we actually are.  Results are certainly improving as are performances, so we are moving in the right direction.
Posted by: rancido, November 28, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ivanosandwich
Jolley said at the beginning of the season that he wanted high energy, last night was the first time I have really seen that. Hopefully, the team is finally gelling and playing the way Jolley wants them to.

Hess, Embleton, Pringle, Vernam and Clifton all possess different qualities but last night as a unit, they were almost unplayable at times.

Not sure why McNulty went off at HT but I bet he was pleased he wasn't chasing their shadows in the second half.

I think that is exactly why he was brought off. He doesn't have any speed these days and that wind would have slowed him down even more.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 28, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from RichMariner
I haven't been to a game all season so rely on the highlights.

I've watched the good, the bad and the ugly, but the extended highlights of last night's win gave me real faith that some sort of corner has been turned.

That's not to say the pivotal moment happened last night. It could've been the second half comeback against MK Dons. It could've been that late winner from Akheem Rose. It could've been the double fightback at Northampton.

Basically, we've started doing things that we've spent all season not doing, e.g. scoring goals, particularly in the second half; coming from behind, winning tight, scrappy games.

It's all positive stuff and maybe, in the future, we'll look back on those six games that Jolley lost in a row and be grateful that we all stood by him (well, the majority of us - there were some dissenting voices on here, I seem to remember).

Clifton is emerging into a real talent now and I think the confidence he got from a three-year deal is a massive factor in that. Also, being played in his best position also helps!

Lots to enjoy, and lots to be positive about considering we're still 18th in League 2.

I don't think we are playing a lot different apart from pushing up more from the back and getting midfield players into the area. Clifton's goal was a good example. A few weeks ago he would have been hanging around in midfield waiting for a short pass and then giving it back to Vernam and then .... But last night he got straight in the box, Vernam played a cross that was not all that brilliant but we had 3 players in there so the odds of it falling to a Town shirt were so much better and it did. Great header. Then the scrambled goal and the penalty came more or less the same way, we had players swarming all over their 6 year box. That is the big change and it makes for chances and excitement.
Posted by: barralad, November 28, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Tommy
What an enjoyable game.

First half we started very slowly and didn't play any football. Tranmere knocked it around nicely and scored a very well-taken goal through Norwood.

Key moment was our tactical change (same as at Northampton) to move Embleton central and Vernam out wide to bolster our numbers in midfield. Literally as soon as MJ made this change we upped the intensity of our work rate and pressing too. The strengthening of midfield allowed us to get closer to them quicker, but also allowed us to build possession through midfield, which we were previously struggling to do and having to go longer or into channels.
And after our last few managers it's nice to see one actively seeing things going wrong/not working early and changing it to swing it in our favour.

Scored an excellent equaliser from the ever-improving Clifton but also worth noting we had 3 players in the box for the cross from Vernam.

2nd goal was obviously a blatant handball. Shocking from the officials to not see it, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because we get some horrendous decisions against us at times. However, watch Thomas' movement whilst Vernam is slipping the fullback stepovers - fantastic little double movement from the striker going in short then pulling away behind the defender.

2nd half we started on the front foot and the early goal from Davis probably knocked a bit of belief out of Tranmere.

As the half went on we were much the better side really and although there were a few spells where it was quite open and looked like there could be a goal at either end, I felt we were the stronger side. We looked a confident side spraying the ball about, working it across midfield.

Hessenthaler excellent for the 2nd game in a row, Clifton a good supporting act too. Embleton very very good after the switch into the middle and Vernam was a threat too - receiving the ball a bit deeper facing forward to run at the opposition rather than up top with his back to goal.

Fox struggled first half but was a different player 2nd half. Hendrie goes about his business quietly and effectively and Pringle showed plenty of quality, composure and consistently good decision-making. Really liking Davis at centre-back too, a real calming, classy influence on the back line.

Tranmere's 2nd was a fantastic strike but it didn't phase us and didn't send us into a nervous panic as I worried it might when the lead was cut to one goal. Davis won our pen, which if you count that as an assist (I am doing) that's 3 assists for Davis in the last 3 games.

Interesting to see M.Rose(P) take a penalty with no massive pressure for a change. Don't get me wrong, it could've had an impact on the momentum of the game had he missed, but he's usually taken them at 0-0, sometimes very late on, to nick us a 1-0 win. Great pen right in the top corner.

And what a goal to finish with. Lovely move involving Welsh, who read the play and intercepted, played a one-two with Cardwell and then slipped a perfect ball into the path of Embleton who'd made a great 3rd man run whilst Welsh & Cardwell combined. Lovely composure to check back inside the defender and finish too.

Good entertainment, good football from Town after the initial half hour, and a good intensity and organisation to everything we did out of possession after that first half hour too.

Encouraging signs:
- we now look like a side that can score goals.
- we now look like a side that doesn't crumble or go to pieces mentally after conceding a goal.
- got a settled side now and not needing to chop and change
- squad is looking stronger and we're able to bring players off the bench that add something (3 goals from substitutes in last 3 games and Cardwell and Welsh also adding something to our performance last night).
- good home form continues.

UTM

I couldn't go last night due to circumstances way beyond my control so look forward to the in depth "just back" posts especially from those with tactical nous. Thanks for posting Tommy
Posted by: mariner91, November 28, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 36
One of the massive positives from last night was the really young age of the starting line up:

Macca - 29
Hendrie - 24
Whitmore - 23
Davis - 27
Fox - 25
Embleton - 19
Clifton - 20
Hess - 24
Pringle - 29
Vernam - 22
Thomas - 31

Only one player over the age of 30 in the starting line up with 7 of them being 25 or younger. Quite remarkable. Cardwell is 22, Rose is 24 and only Welsh is anything like old at 34. There was also another 20 year old on the bench in A.Rose. We've got a lot of players who are likely to improve and we've got a manager with a great reputation for improving young players. Given how we've allowed Embleton to shine and develop as well, we might get a reputation for being a club willing to allow youngsters the stage to perform and could see more teams from higher up the ladder wanting to loan us some of their promising youngsters. Long way to go yet but lots of positive signs now it's finally falling in to place.
Posted by: pen penfras, November 28, 2018, 7:07pm; Reply: 37

I don't think we are playing a lot different apart from pushing up more from the back and getting midfield players into the area. Clifton's goal was a good example. A few weeks ago he would have been hanging around in midfield waiting for a short pass and then giving it back to Vernam and then .... But last night he got straight in the box, Vernam played a cross that was not all that brilliant but we had 3 players in there so the odds of it falling to a Town shirt were so much better and it did. Great header. Then the scrambled goal and the penalty came more or less the same way, we had players swarming all over their 6 year box. That is the big change and it makes for chances and excitement.

Vernam's cross was fantastic, don't know what you expect from league 2 players, but it won't be much better than that. Harry's header was very good too, but it was the pace on the cross that allowed him to just direct it and score from that distance.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 28, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from pen penfras

Vernam's cross was fantastic, don't know what you expect from league 2 players, but it won't be much better than that. Harry's header was very good too, but it was the pace on the cross that allowed him to just direct it and score from that distance.

Well it turned out to be fantastic but that's my point. To be honest I think Vernam was intending a fast curler to the far post but that doesn't matter. He could hit and hope a cross because there was Clifton plus 2 more in the box and somebody would have a fair chance to get on the end of it. When there's only one in the box to aim for, any cross really does have to be fantastic to pick out that single attacker in a mass of defenders.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 28, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 39

Well it turned out to be fantastic but that's my point. To be honest I think Vernam was intending a fast curler to the far post but that doesn't matter. He could hit and hope a cross because there was Clifton plus 2 more in the box and somebody would have a fair chance to get on the end of it. When there's only one in the box to aim for, any cross really does have to be fantastic to pick out that single attacker in a mass of defenders.

Jesus! I thought I was hard to please but Vernam, Pringle & Embleton hit better crosses than anything we've seen at BP for some time. Hit crosses with pace and goals happen - near post, far post or off someone's hand...... ;)
Posted by: chaos33, November 28, 2018, 9:02pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from pen penfras

Have to say I totally agree. Vernam's cross for Clifton's superb header was excellent.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 28, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Jesus! I thought I was hard to please but Vernam, Pringle & Embleton hit better crosses than anything we've seen at BP for some time. Hit crosses with pace and goals happen - near post, far post or off someone's hand...... ;)

Exactly Codger. They are all putting good balls in the right area. But now we are getting more players in the area to take advantage.

Posted by: chaos33, November 28, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 42
There has been a definite ploy to get more balls into the box during our recent upturn. No surprise that the goals output has risen.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 28, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from chaos33
There has been a definite ploy to get more balls into the box during our recent upturn. No surprise that the goals output has risen.

Balls into the box and noticibably in the 2nd half of games more bodies too!
Posted by: rancido, November 29, 2018, 1:51pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from mariner91
One of the massive positives from last night was the really young age of the starting line up:

Macca - 29
Hendrie - 24
Whitmore - 23
Davis - 27
Fox - 25
Embleton - 19
Clifton - 20
Hess - 24
Pringle - 29
Vernam - 22
Thomas - 31

Only one player over the age of 30 in the starting line up with 7 of them being 25 or younger. Quite remarkable. Cardwell is 22, Rose is 24 and only Welsh is anything like old at 34. There was also another 20 year old on the bench in A.Rose. We've got a lot of players who are likely to improve and we've got a manager with a great reputation for improving young players. Given how we've allowed Embleton to shine and develop as well, we might get a reputation for being a club willing to allow youngsters the stage to perform and could see more teams from higher up the ladder wanting to loan us some of their promising youngsters. Long way to go yet but lots of positive signs now it's finally falling in to place.

Some very valid points. I think it is no coincidence that MJ is using young players to work with. His time at Burnley will have given him a good grounding in this aspect of the game. That appointment could also unlock a lot of doors in getting young players here on long loan spells to develop their careers further. I'm sure managers from Premiersh*t and Championship levels would trust MJ to aid in bringing young players on. This is a win-win situation as we get some good players on loan, a reputation for helping them develop and the possibility of getting them on a permanent basis if their parent clubs don't deem them good enough for the higher leagues.

I think MJ's appointment could provide the basis of a really good squad at BP and I'm pleased that after some early season set-backs the performances are now starting to come together. Two more transfer windows and I think we could see a really good squad. One aspect of MJ's approach that has impressed me is  how he is already developing the teams approach to each game and his ability to read a game in progress, identify any problems and try to rectify it. He also has the attitude that once you are in the lead then keep the pressure up for more goals and not spend 30 or 40 minutes trying to defend a one goal lead. This aspect is so refreshingafter  Hurst's defensive approach and The Nearly Man's inability to even read the game or understand what was required to put it right.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 8:22am