Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, November 24, 2018, 5:44pm
Enjoyable game...once we got over the first 20 minutes or so. That opening spell was highlighted by hoofs to no-one in particular, a lack of strength in the challenge and lack of conviction in defence. Once Pringle got to grips with the game it got better and the first equaliser came from a very good move down the left with a decent finish. The decision to move Vernam out wide  proved to be excellent. Cannot let the first half go without mentioning Maccas TWO good saves. The first when he got two strong hands to a shot which looked like it was sneaking in at the near post and the second which was breath-taking (although any goalkeepers seeing the highlights tonight might be pointing to the fact that he could have dealt with the original cross) On the balance of play probably didn't deserve to be level at half time but I'd take it every time. Second half was as different again. Clifton Pringle Vernam and Hess really took the game to Northampton and their decent second goal from a free kick was slightly against the run of play. The decision to bring Cardwell on proved to be a bit of tactical genius. So pleased for the lad to react quickest to a loose ball in the six yard area. Town could have won it in the 10 minutes following the leveller but then came the Collins sending off. Looked a cert from the away end but it was a long way away. Shows maybe why he backs off so often! Last 10 or so was about preservation but Akheem (whose pace frightened Norrhampton) could have covered himself in glory for the second week running with a free header which he got too much on sending it over the bar.
Shout out to both full backs. If Foxy does go in January I think he'll be missed and Hendrie just gets better game by game.
Pretty happy tonight.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 24, 2018, 5:57pm; Reply: 1
Really poor start. Players usually go out with the last minute instruction of "Make your first touch, first tackle, first header or first pass a good one and start on the front foot". We started like we'd just got off the coach after arriving just before kick-off. It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon after 30 minutes but I ended up being fully entertained by the end of the match. Sloppy from the start, error after error, poor pass after poor pass, backing off and backing off and they inevitably score. Several more chances handed to them and we could have been 3-0 down without stringing three passes together. Just a wholesale lack of confidence. Then after Macca dives out to cut out a low dangerous cross, we break up the other end and Vernam converts a neat well-taken goal full of composure. Suddenly we have a spring in our step and Hessenthaler has a header cleared off the line and Northampton suddenly realise they've got a game on their hands. Grimsby confidence up, Northampton confidence down and suddenly the game levels out and at times tipped in our favour in the second half. We knocked it around well with combinations from Vernam, Pringle Clifton and Embleton who was MIA in the first half due to being started on the wing. The interchanging of Vernam and Embleton by Jolley seemed key as well as Collins trying to keep a high line and tighter to his forward in the second half, something he didn't first half and it caused us all sorts of problems. You can't give a player like Van Veen enough time and space to turn without getting punished. Northampton didn't really threaten at all second half and after giving away a preventable free kick, Van Veen expertly bent the ball into the bottom corner to give them probably an undeserved lead. Usually it would be game over but we kept pressing with the newly introduced forward pairing of Cardwell and A Rose and scored a deserved equaliser through Cardwell who prodded home after a goalmouth scramble. Of course it's never straightforward following Town and although I thought Collins was unlucky to be sent off, it did highlight a problem we have when he's left one and one at times. We held on, and I'm pleased to say that for the final hour of the game, i was entertained and proud of my team. Special mention to Macca for that unbelievable save just before after we equalised in the first half. Had it gone in we may have been beaten by five or six if our heads dropped. Davis looked strong at the back, Pringle looked classy on the ball, Vernam looked dangerous when running with it, Clifton was a bundle of energy, Hessenthaler a calming influence and once Embleton moved to a central position he caused them all sorts of problems. If only Akheen could have finished that header, it would have wrapped up an unexpected but fully deserved victory. We're no way near the finished article, MJ still has some problems to solve, but there's definitely green shoots of improvement to build upon. Great support yet again and roll on Tuesday night...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 24, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 2
Agree Bigdog but I think that save was at 1-1 (just before half time).
Posted by: Bigdog, November 24, 2018, 6:08pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19
Agree Bigdog but I think that save was at 1-1 (just before half time).

Yeah you're right. Got it mixed up with the excellent save he made from a low cross before our equaliser at 1-0..
Posted by: pontoonlew, November 24, 2018, 6:09pm; Reply: 4
Pleased with the result, look at Northampton’s current form and who they’re taking points off, they’re flying at the minute.

I really think we’re a couple of good signings from clicking, it sounds like Pringle is now match sharp and all of our strikers are now contributing. Progress.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 24, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 5
I think there's still limitations in the squad but in the last few weeks we've come from behind to beat MK Dons, scored a late winner against Crawley and come from behind twice today to get a point. Seems some character and fight there now which hasn't always been the case over the past couple of years. It would be lovely to put a few results together and have a boring season of mid-table mediocrity.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 6
I like teams that come strong towards the end. It shows character and that seems to be building in this side. Great result.
Posted by: barralad, November 24, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Bigdog
Really poor start. Players usually go out with the last minute instruction of "Make your first touch, first tackle, first header or first pass a good one and start on the front foot". We started like we'd just got off the coach after arriving just before kick-off. It looked like it was going to be a long afternoon after 30 minutes but I ended up being fully entertained by the end of the match. Sloppy from the start, error after error, poor pass after poor pass, backing off and backing off and they inevitably score. Several more chances handed to them and we could have been 3-0 down without stringing three passes together. Just a wholesale lack of confidence. Then after Macca dives out to cut out a low dangerous cross, we break up the other end and Vernam converts a neat well-taken goal full of composure. Suddenly we have a spring in our step and Hessenthaler has a header cleared off the line and Northampton suddenly realise they've got a game on their hands. Grimsby confidence up, Northampton confidence down and suddenly the game levels out and at times tipped in our favour in the second half. We knocked it around well with combinations from Vernam, Pringle Clifton and Embleton who was MIA in the first half due to being started on the wing. The interchanging of Vernam and Embleton by Jolley seemed key as well as Collins trying to keep a high line and tighter to his forward in the second half, something he didn't first half and it caused us all sorts of problems. You can't give a player like Van Veen enough time and space to turn without getting punished. Northampton didn't really threaten at all second half and after giving away a preventable free kick, Van Veen expertly bent the ball into the bottom corner to give them probably an undeserved lead. Usually it would be game over but we kept pressing with the newly introduced forward pairing of Cardwell and A Rose and scored a deserved equaliser through Cardwell who prodded home after a goalmouth scramble. Of course it's never straightforward following Town and although I thought Collins was unlucky to be sent off, it did highlight a problem we have when he's left one and one at times. We held on, and I'm pleased to say that for the final hour of the game, i was entertained and proud of my team. Special mention to Macca for that unbelievable save just before after we equalised in the first half. Had it gone in we may have been beaten by five or six if our heads dropped. Davis looked strong at the back, Pringle looked classy on the ball, Vernam looked dangerous when running with it, Clifton was a bundle of energy, Hessenthaler a calming influence and once Embleton moved to a central position he caused them all sorts of problems. If only Akheen could have finished that header, it would have wrapped up an unexpected but fully deserved victory. We're no way near the finished article, MJ still has some problems to solve, but there's definitely green shoots of improvement to build upon. Great support yet again and roll on Tuesday night...

Good report mate.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 24, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from barralad

Good report mate.

Thank you. I think yours was better..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 24, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 9
Last season our heads seemed to drop once we conceded and we all said the same about this team a few weeks ago.

Northampton have been in great form recently. Tuesday night will be tough and we will get to see how much of a vital cog Collins is or isn't in the team.

Rose got his first goal last week, Cardwell today. I fancy sticking some money on Clifton for Tuesday...
Posted by: Cloudy, November 24, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 10
Back home and, the first 30 mins or so apart, enjoyed the day.
Thought Hess played really well and now really growing into the team. Can’t comment on sending off other than from my far away spot it looked like he was fouled first (?). I think we will miss his experience and calmness

The team showed great spirit and 2nd half were by far the better team. Northampton fans a really strange bunch, got lots of abuse from grown men as I headed back to the car, despite being well into my sixties!

We are a fair bit short of a top 7 side but I maintain organisation and spirit can take you a long way at this level and we are looking better than a few months ago, even scoring 2 in a game away from home!

Looking forward to Tranmere on Tuesday and hope those that can attend do so in good voice
Posted by: Croxton, November 24, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Cloudy
Back home and, the first 30 mins or so apart, enjoyed the day.
Thought Hess played really well and now really growing into the team. Can’t comment on sending off other than from my far away spot it looked like he was fouled first (?). I think we will miss his experience and calmness

The team showed great spirit and 2nd half were by far the better team. Northampton fans a really strange bunch, got lots of abuse from grown men as I headed back to the car, despite being well into my sixties!

We are a fair bit short of a top 7 side but I maintain organisation and spirit can take you a long way at this level and we are looking better than a few months ago, even scoring 2 in a game away from home!

Looking forward to Tranmere on Tuesday and hope those that can attend do so in good voice

No problems as I skipped back to the car. They all seemed a bit deflated!  Having learned my lesson, I try not to engage with anyone AFTER the game. Listened to
the pundits on Radio Northampton as I drove back and their chat with their manager. You would have thought we had thrashed them 5-0. Unprompted, he said that some players who could not adapt would be replaced in Jan. He over criticised and under praised. His players, in their interviews, were more professional. From what I saw we made them look better than they are perhaps, but if they can replicate the intensity of the first half hour they  won't need to change personnel too much.
Thought A Rose would have been  the first sub. Shame about the header but he timed his run well.
Posted by: barralad, November 24, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 12
Having seen the highlights Collins sending off was nowhere near as clear cut as it seemed live.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 24, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 13
I couldn't make today but how did the infamous Mr Kettle do?
Posted by: Croxton, November 24, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from barralad
Having seen the highlights Collins sending off was nowhere near as clear cut as it seemed live.

Yes, when Collins slides in for the ball their player is behind him and if Collins gets anything on the ball surely no pen. Given by the lino? After the injustices of last week, it seems a little galling that we were given little benefit of the doubt here. More pressure from opposition players again although, apart from holding Cardwell several times in the box (not seen by the other lino) they were one of the cleaner sides.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 24, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 15
Thought Barra and big dog got it largely right. Great support as usual. Mckeown made 2 great saves BUT his failure to command his 6 yard area cost us dearly in the first ten. Personally I thought Hendrie had a v poor game compared to what I've seen before.fox on the other hand is spirit personified.hes never going to go own in the annals of great gtfc left backs but you cant fault his committment. Best I've seen Pringle play, he's quality.
Collins sending off may prove to be a blessing in disguise coz I thought he was awful, an accident waiting to happen. Some good football played at times and great resilience to see the game out as it was v easy to see us being on the end of a d1cking at one stage.
Few old timers mentioned parallels with the early development of buckleys squad.
Heres hoping
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 24, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 16
First half we were poor and couldn't cope with their pressure and hoof balls.

Second half at times I thought we were outstanding.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 24, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 17
That was a good point and a fair result considering how poor we where before Verman's well worked and well taken goal and we actually started to play some football.

Their first should have been dealt with and it was hard to believe that they had so many unmarked player in our box so early in a game, In the next 30 minutes we struggled to win and keep the ball and didn't have any real phases of passing but the one time we did we scored a decent goal and nearly got a second a few minutes later. The other highlight in the first half was another top class save from Macca I know I'm bias but I don't think there is a better keeper in L2.  

When we came out we where the better side, credit to MJ he adjusted things a bit with Embelton moving in behind Thomas and Verman moving a bit wider. This made sure we passed the ball better which enabled us to to move out wide and actually get some real traction with the impressive Pringle making a difference whilst linking up with Foxy, who will be a big loss if he leaves in Jan. Though he's not the quickest now he's getting fitter Ben Pringle looks like a really good addition.  

Their 2nd was a really good strike by Van Veen but the grit and determination we showed to get back into the game carried us through to level again which Cardwell took well and followed it with a celebration to match. On another thread I posted that I thought it was the wrong change to bring Cardwell on ahead of Rose but I was delighted to be proved wrong.

After that Rose A might have snatched it but he just got under his header a bit and it went over. Looking at the Collins sending off we need to appeal that as their player did a job on him however I think it possibly exposed his lack of mobility and aged legs maybe giving Whitmore and Davis a run might be worth looking at as they will both be with is next season.

So a well earned and hard fought point against a decent outfit from a Town side that look like they are improving each week. If we can just get a bit more urgency in attack and resist the temptation to move the ball backwards in good positions.that should help us move away from the threat of relegation.

I can see what Jolley is doing and true to his word he's putting faith in young players and it was great to see two of them repaying him with goals today. At the moment this side is a massive work in progress but days like today should give us real optimism.

Well done Town,,,,,, UTM!      
Posted by: sydney, November 24, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 18
Good Post Herts
Lot more positives today
A result (Win) against a high flying scoucers on Tuesday will start to show light at the end of the tunnel
Well Done Today Town!
Posted by: Tommy, November 24, 2018, 10:48pm; Reply: 19
Not too much to add to some good posts already on this thread.

Enjoyable game after a difficult-to-watch first half hour. MJ moved Embleton central and Vernam out wide at around the half-hour point and although it sometimes left Thomas a bit isolated, it meant we could build possession and progress up the pitch a bit more comfortably.

Second half we were well on top at times and moved the ball around quite well and had some spells of sustained pressure which I don't often see us do (pinning them in their half and forcing plenty of corners in a short time).

A lot of good play down our left with Fox and Pringle linking up well. Pringle's never going to fly past full-backs - more of a Kingsley Black type with good delivery and sensible use of the ball.

The player I was most impressed with today though was Hessenthaler. Thought he was really good in the middle, particularly second half. Composed, gave himself a lot of time on the ball at times, and 2 or 3 times he turned away from pressure from 2 players brilliantly to get us going forward.

Thomas got nothing from the referee despite being pushed and shoved about for most of the game.
Davis was good, much happier seeing him at centre-back than having to play right-back.

Delighted for Cardwell getting his first goal. I don't expect them to be regular starters yet, but how much more confident are Cardwell and A.Rose going to be when coming off the bench now they've both notched their first goal.

All in all a good point, and a well-deserved point.
Posted by: nightrider, November 24, 2018, 11:47pm; Reply: 20
I enjoyed that. An entertaining game - which doesnt happen very often.
They were raving about the save on Northants radio. I can't remember seeing a better one. Looking forward to watching it again
Posted by: joe56, November 25, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 21
Interesting comment on the Northampton fans’ forum:

“We commented early in the first 45 yesterday that their red-haired winger looked a cut above, and having just looked him up see that he is on loan from PNE, having previously been at Fulham. It was pretty clear from the off that he wasn't your 'average' L2 winger. The gaps at RB and his performance in exploiting them dragged them back into the game and his play more or less elevated their entire team.”
Posted by: livosnose, November 25, 2018, 6:12pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from joe56

“We commented early in the first 45 yesterday that their red-haired winger looked a cut above, and having just looked him up see that he is on loan from PNE, having previously been at Fulham. It was pretty clear from the off that he wasn't your 'average' L2 winger. The gaps at RB and his performance in exploiting them dragged them back into the game and his play more or less elevated their entire team.”

He’s got a wand as a left boot . With a bit more confidence he’s got a goal in him as well . Will prove to be a stellar signing for us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 25, 2018, 7:18pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from joe56

I wouldn’t disagree with that he was excellent yesterday, have we got him after January?
Posted by: joe56, November 25, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 24
Season long loan apparently. I remember him saying in an interview that he feels that he’s playing for contract. I hope it turns out to be with us.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 25, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 25
Reminds me of Nolan, could be very valuable for us. Hope we can get him permanently but surely he's not been at Preston very long
Posted by: Abdul19, November 25, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 26
He's seeing out the last season of his 3 year deal at Preston with us.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 26, 2018, 12:15am; Reply: 27
To my mind he's the player we wanted Woolford to be.some of the switch passes he made yesterday were sublim. He's not the quickest but he just knows what is needed.really enjoyed the second half link up play with him n fox
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 26, 2018, 10:33am; Reply: 28
All been covered really by excellent posts as always by Barra, Bigdog and Herts - overall apart from the opening 20 minutes or so it was a thoroughly entertaining game. A defo improvement on the previous 3 away games thats for sure!

Macca, , , superb, , , , Collins - worrying! Hess, Clifton, Embleton, Pringle and Vernam all put in a good shift and worked real hard, especially in the 2nd half. I would really love to see Ahkeem get a whole game or a whole half , , , he is one to frighten defenders for sure.
Happy for Cardwell to get his 1st for the club and set off a mad pile up down the front of the away end!

Enjoyed the 'Up The Mariners' song, , , brill to hear that again and I'm pretty sure we had more than the 698 in that away end, ,  but hey ho.

Think for once the positives outnumber the negatives , ,  we just need to push one and play solid for 90 mins, , which has been a big issue for a good while now

Oh and sixfields , , ,wow what a soulless place that is, , , that place is everything why these edge of town/retail park grounds are so depressing. Been here a good few times now but each time the place feels less and less loved, , , it almost feels abandoned! it certainly looks that way.  
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, November 26, 2018, 10:54am; Reply: 29
I watched on Ifollow, and I thought Collins was immense apart from a couple of errors.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 26, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I watched on Ifollow, and I thought Collins was immense apart from a couple of errors.

It seems the in thing to single out Collins at present. Previously he made two mistakes in two games, one cost us a goal v MKD, yet many others make far more errors but dont get the level of abuse.

Posted by: TAGG, November 26, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Cloudy

It seems the in thing to single out Collins at present. Previously he made two mistakes in two games, one cost us a goal v MKD, yet many others make far more errors but dont get the level of abuse.

There always has to be a bogey man it’s a The Fishy thing 🤪👊🤪👊🤪
Posted by: sam gy, November 26, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 32
Pringle's crossing/passing is immense - he is a cut above.Let's hope he continues to fall back in love with the game with us - and we get to keep him next season.

Super encouraging the 3 youg lads have scored our last 3 goals. Let's hope they all kick on!
Posted by: Croxton, November 26, 2018, 12:51pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from TAGG

Don't think Collins has had 'abuse'. As the defensive pivot, he has a vital role in deciding the depth of the back four and linking with Macca. He has been central to some concerns about tactics in this regard. We can only guess what instructions come from the coaching staff. He may prefer to stick to heading and kicking it. He can be a dominant header and certainly whipped the ball away decisively to complete Macca's wonder save.
If he is not in the starting eleven I would expect him to at least make the squad unless the pace of Famewo tips the balance.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 26, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Croxton

Don't think Collins has had 'abuse'. As the defensive pivot, he has a vital role in deciding the depth of the back four and linking with Macca. He has been central to some concerns about tactics in this regard. We can only guess what instructions come from the coaching staff. He may prefer to stick to heading and kicking it. He can be a dominant header and certainly whipped the ball away decisively to complete Macca's wonder save.
If he is not in the starting eleven I would expect him to at least make the squad unless the pace of Famewo tips the balance.

haven't got anything against collins but he was a liability on saturday. Another thing i noticed is that there does seem to be a lack of communication between the back 4 - several times, for example, fox had time to control the ball and distribute , but just hoofed/sliced it out having had no call form his team mates
Posted by: Bigdog, November 26, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Cloudy

Players make much more than two mistakes a game. That's all of them every game. Every player makes hundreds of decisions and can't get them all right. The game's much more nuanced than just a sliced clearance or missing an open goal. What about positional play every second of every game for a start? Every manager, right up to Pep, know it's their job to help coach the players into making the minimal amount of mistakes possible in one game. To say that Collins has made two mistakes in two games is laughable and the same could be said about every other player for whatever team they play for.

I'm not a fan of us having a slow 38 year old playing at centre half for us, I think it causes us problems we can avoid with a more athletic back line. We seemed to be doing well before he came back from his broken arm and then went on a bad run conceding a few, then we've kept successive clean sheets at home while getting beat away from home. Swings and roundabouts at best but I feel we could be more progreessive than we are. I criticised DC for his first half display on Saturday because he was letting Van Veen control the ball without getting tight. DC let him turn on several occasions because he chose to drop off which left Van Veen able to put our left back under pressure by having a free pass to their winger who was putting some dangerous balls in that they nearly scored from. DC also recklessly came out of the defensive line to try and win two headers that weren't his to win, lost them and took himself completely out of the game which put us under pressure and outnumbered. Not to mention some misplaced passes, weak clearances and a poor pass back to Macca. I also said he improved second half by not dropping off and defended him re the sending off. I understand fans wanting to loyally defend players but because some posters disagree with their opinions about a player, it immediately becomes abuse?!!

I'd like to see our back line have a run of games without DC. You can call it a being negative against DC or you could call me being positive about Whitmore or Famewo when he's fit. I just think we can progress more as a team with a quicker back line. No abuse, just an opinion different to yours and everyone sees games in a different way and has different opinions, that's what the game is all about.

Defend DC all you like, it's your opinion that I don't agree with but respect, but call me and others abusive for doing so? That's a bit more than a stretch..
Posted by: Cloudy, November 26, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Bigdog

Players make much more than two mistakes a game. That's all of them every game. Every player makes hundreds of decisions and can't get them all right. The game's much more nuanced than just a sliced clearance or missing an open goal. What about positional play every second of every game for a start? Every manager, right up to Pep, know it's their job to help coach the players into making the minimal amount of mistakes possible in one game. To say that Collins has made two mistakes in two games is laughable and the same could be said about every other player for whatever team they play for.

I'm not a fan of us having a slow 38 year old playing at centre half for us, I think it causes us problems we can avoid with a more athletic back line. We seemed to be doing well before he came back from his broken arm and then went on a bad run conceding a few, then we've kept successive clean sheets at home while getting beat away from home. Swings and roundabouts at best but I feel we could be more progreessive than we are. I criticised DC for his first half display on Saturday because he was letting Van Veen control the ball without getting tight. DC let him turn on several occasions because he chose to drop off which left Van Veen able to put our left back under pressure by having a free pass to their winger who was putting some dangerous balls in that they nearly scored from. DC also recklessly came out of the defensive line to try and win two headers that weren't his to win, lost them and took himself completely out of the game which put us under pressure and outnumbered. Not to mention some misplaced passes, weak clearances and a poor pass back to Macca. I also said he improved second half by not dropping off and defended him re the sending off. I understand fans wanting to loyally defend players but because some posters disagree with their opinions about a player, it immediately becomes abuse?!!

I'd like to see our back line have a run of games without DC. You can call it a being negative against DC or you could call me being positive about Whitmore or Famewo when he's fit. I just think we can progress more as a team with a quicker back line. No abuse, just an opinion different to yours and everyone sees games in a different way and has different opinions, that's what the game is all about.

Defend DC all you like, it's your opinion that I don't agree with but respect, but call me and others abusive for doing so? That's a bit more than a stretch..

I did not call you for being abusive as i have no idea who you are, but i will tell you for a fact that there were supporters near me giving Collins dogs abuse on several occasions on Saturday. That might have been you for all i know(?), but please dont get all precious when you werent singled out in any shape or form.
You are entitled to your view as in anyone else who has watched games, we DO often see things differently
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 26, 2018, 1:32pm; Reply: 37
Some supporters are quick to get on the backs of their players, not just our fans though

I sat in the side stand on Saturday ( half way along, above Jolley's dugout ) and the abuse that some of the Northampton players were getting from their fans sitting close by, even when in the lead, was uncalled for

The fact they'd won their past four home games on the bounce and could conceivably had won again passed them by

We played well as a team and while there were some individual errors of judgment ( on both sides to be honest ) it was a pretty good game of football for the level we are at

Anyone who can focus on what wasn't right about the players on Saturday needs to take a step back and consider these players are never going to be at the top of the pile, but that they do their best
Posted by: Bigdog, November 26, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Cloudy

I did not call you for being abusive as i have no idea who you are, but i will tell you for a fact that there were supporters near me giving Collins dogs abuse on several occasions on Saturday. That might have been you for all i know(?), but please dont get all precious when you werent singled out in any shape or form.
You are entitled to your view as in anyone else who has watched games, we DO often see things differently

Your post didn’t specify from the stands as opposed to on here. I grew up listening to unwarranted abuse of the Hickmans, Bonnymans and Mitchells. As a kid I hated it as much as I do now. I agree, if you’re in the stands support the players as best you can, shouting abuse never benefits players while they’re playing..
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, November 26, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 39
Wow that spiraled!  :o

I just stated Collins was worrying, , , which I believe he was and is most games, , , I never heard any abuse for him on Sat as much as I didnt hear any abuse for any of the lads, , , yeh the the odd grumble which is normal, , , ,

I find Fox worrying at times also!  ;)
Posted by: sam gy, November 26, 2018, 3:08pm; Reply: 40
To be fair to Fox - he has been injured pretty much all season. Sounds like he's done alright in these last two games considering.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 26, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from TAGG

It long pre-dates the Fishy. I remember the 'feedback' that Bonnyman used to get more years ago than I care to remember.

As for Collins, I'm not defending him as such, but a central defender is pretty much second only to a goalkeeper for the obvious of his mistakes.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:25pm