Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 17, 2018, 5:19pm

If that's the way we have to win games to stay up that will do for me......also I thought most of the crowd stuck with the team even though it was uninspiring to watch at times.

A very valuable 3 pts.......UTM

Posted by: lee65, November 17, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 1
Two poor teams for most of the game, but we kept trying, and there did seem more effort 2nd half.
Akeem is raw, but frightens teams with his presence and pace, Thomas worked tirelessly again despite no protection from a poor ref, and Woolford made a difference when he came on because he tried to make things happen.
Good for Fox to get a full game in too
Posted by: Hagrid, November 17, 2018, 5:36pm; Reply: 2
Yes woolford made a big difference i thought. Ref dire, wasnt a great game but we won. Cardwell looked way off the pace, but that’ll come
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 17, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 3
A win's a win but a poor game with an even worse ref.

In a sea of mediocrity, the least culpable was Luke Hendrie with honourable mentions for Andrew Fox on his return and Harry Clifton for his second half.
Posted by: golfer, November 17, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 4
Absolute disgraceful,worst i have ever seen,dog's home material,supposed to be league quality,wouldn't get a game on Hardy's rec.complete shite-that's the ref. taken care of.. The players weren't very good either today but we won-that's the main thing and gives us 3 valuable points.
Posted by: toontown, November 17, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 5
Dreadful game entertainment wise but rose grabbed us 3 welcome points. Given that our strikers are so misfiring in front of goal that has got to push him towards getting more than just 10 minutes at the end of games.
Numerous bad points tho, let's not paper over the cracks. We are a poor side it has to be said.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 17, 2018, 5:57pm; Reply: 6
Thank you Ahkeem for rescuing a dreadful game. Three welcome points.. end of post..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 17, 2018, 5:57pm; Reply: 7
We struggled to deal with their physicality for much of the game. Lucky to get away with yet another soft backpass.

Thomas seems to get rough treatment from defenders but the referee was terrible today; especially for the cards against Clifton and Thomas. Great delivery into the box by Fox for the goal which was a very well taken finish by Rose. I thought Pringle was missing for large parts and Vernam is much more effective when he isn't played wide.

4 consecutive clean sheets at home in the league is an achievement, just got to start picking up points away from home and then build on things in January.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from toontown
Dreadful game entertainment wise but rose grabbed us 3 welcome points. Given that our strikers are so misfiring in front of goal that has got to push him towards getting more than just 10 minutes at the end of games.
Numerous bad points tho, let's not paper over the cracks. We are a poor side it has to be said.

But we are a side with 3 more points in the bag. That is what matters today.

Incidentally the side we knocked out of the cup last week is top of the league tonight. It is a poor league and you only need to be a bit less poor to win it.
Posted by: golfer, November 17, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Bigdog
Thank you Ahkeem for rescuing a dreadful game. Three welcome points.. end of post..

Must have been bad-that's the shortest post you have ever written Bigdog
Posted by: ginnywings, November 17, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 10
Not the best of games, made a whole lot worse by a laughably bad ref. How he came up with some of those decisions, i have no idea.

The game had 0-0 or 1-0 either way written all over it, and i feared if anyone was going to get the vital goal, it would likely be them, who were slightly less bad than we were, and for me had the games best player in their No 15. Neither side created much and defences were on top. Thought Hendrie looked excellent, and he looks a long term right back to me, so we could do with getting tied down to a longer deal. MOM for Town was our Harry, who i thought did most things well and never gives up, but no-one stood out too much, except for the clownshoe ref.

Footy is all about taking your chances and when the ball fell nicely to Akheem, he gleefully smashed it into the net, to take all the points. A game i will quickly forget, but important that we keep plugging away and getting up that table.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 17, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 11
Brief highlights. Made up for Akheem, all that frustrated waiting for clearance to play was smashed into that shot.

[url]https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11556732/grimsby-1-0-crawley[/url]
Posted by: Cloudy, November 17, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 12
That’s was really turgid stuff. Crawley marginally the better side but frankly the game was very poor in standard and quality.
We were very slow in midfield and out fought and out thought.
How on earth did Pringle even get considered for man of the match!

Last 15 mins Clifton and Hess finally started to take the game to Crawley who were fortunate the ref was sooo bad as on other day Connolly ( number 6) could have been cautioned 5 or 6 times. A real throw back to thuggery! Have to say Crawley right back Young was impressive.

Giving Akeem more that stoppage time paid dividends, good finish after Davis headed it down.

There have been games were we deserved more than we got so I’d take the 3 points when the game looked like a nil nil.

Enjoyed the draw with Exeter, wins over Colchester and MKD but not enthused about today
Posted by: GrimRob, November 17, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 13
Truly  awful game Crawley came for a draw. Surprised to see Josh Payne sat in front of their back four in the Welsh role. It's not as though our attack is that potent. The subs worked well  and you could argue that our managers tweaked the team until the goal came. It's a good thing that football is not an entertainment business cos everyone went home happy.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, November 17, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 14
I would rather we win ugly than lose playing good football.  Nearly fell asleep first half, bored second half until our goal
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 17, 2018, 6:53pm; Reply: 15
Poor display overall apart from the one piece of quality for the goal which was great to see from a young player who’s been very patient.

Thought Jolley got the selection wrong by starting Cardwell, nothing against him he just looks a long way from match fitness never mind sharpness, then again a win is a win and it was much needed with Cheltenham winnning too and a couple of hard games coming up.

So the ref........ absolute disgrace, not fit enough by a country mile and did nothing to keep the game flowing, thought he played to the cameras a bit and should have given Palmer a 2nd yellow for that cheap shot shove later in the game. The EFL need to develop and deliver better.

UTM!!
Posted by: Bigdog, November 17, 2018, 6:53pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer

Must have been bad-that's the shortest post you have ever written Bigdog

True golfer. Just really pleased to see a promising youngster enjoy bagging his first League goal and a late winner too. Outweighed writing about everything else that was poor today...

Let's hope there's some entertainment and better performances around the corner..
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 17, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 17
Was a ST holder from 04 until the play off winning campaign.

Then 1st baby come along, and since got to as many as possible.
No.2 is due January so made it bit more difficult.

Experienced FGR and Macclesfield so far, then went today...

Summary: we was bang average at very best.

Macca did everything asked of him, and bailed Collins out big time
Back 4 did ok, Collins was fine apart from that 1 moment, fox was below average first half, ok second

Midfield 4 was poor first half, and improved slightly second half

Vernam looked very good every time he had the ball

Cardwell won his share of headers, and dealt with a very difficult ref

Thomas looks dangerous, just didn't see enough of the ball

Woolford showed a good first touch from coming on and did well

Rose took his goal well, but showed a lack of decision making, but that will come with game time.

Most notable thing for me, was the fans
So many disgusting comments during the game

Telling fox he's excrement
Sack Collins
And moaning when we don't pass it forward

Decent crowd size, but a toxic atmosphere throughout for no reason at all

Crawley wasn't bad, and played some good football, with a few good individual players
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 17, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters
A win's a win but a poor game with an even worse ref.

In a sea of mediocrity, the least culpable was Luke Hendrie with honourable mentions for Andrew Fox on his return and Harry Clifton for his second half.

Agree with these brief comments but thought Davis deserves some praise because Palmer was very awkward and put himself about but Davis stuck at it and won a lot of aerial challenges.

Had we lost we would be in meltdown at how poorly we played but one moment of quality papers over those cracks. Thought we missed Mitch Rose’s physicality and Cardwell looked well off the pace so surprised at him starting. Need to work with Vernam and work out why he disappears out the game so much particularly in second half.

Poor game, poor entertainment but great result.
Posted by: Maringer, November 17, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 19
Poor game, poor performance, but we'll take the three points.

I actually thought Clifton wasn't at his best by a long way today but kept grafting. Not sure who I'd give MOTM. Probably Davis, who defended well and it was a great knock down for the goal.

I thought their No. 28 in midfield was useful - covered every blade of grass and kept the ball moving well. Palmer poor and spent most of the game on the floor appealing for something or other.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 17, 2018, 7:42pm; Reply: 20
Just back myself. Would like to say that the ref ruined it but it was already awful. A couple of suicide balls in there for good measure too. Their no2 was excellent.

Never thought we’d get anything other than 1 point by half time. Absolutely fantastic to celebrate a winner.

There are plenty of these turgid games in league 2. We’ve started winning them though...

UTM.
Posted by: LH, November 17, 2018, 8:13pm; Reply: 21
I know over recent years we have seen a lot of really poor games but today was dreadful for various reasons and I’m pleased we managed to get the threee points from a game like this.

A dreadful quality of football from both sides at times but Crawley looked like they had a bet on throw ins with the amount of times their defenders were needlessly pumping it out of play.

The referee was horrendous. How he could be so inconsistent in the space of a few seconds for a few things today I don’t know. Why wasn’t Palmer sent off for a second yellow late on for something that was pretty similar to his first? How come only our players were punished for niggly fouls?

The huge positive from today is the arrival of Ahkeem Rose. You can see from the social media reaction that the squad and management think highly of him. It’s been a long time coming with the work permit issues and the loan to Boston but he’s managed to work his way into the team and has been rewarded with scoring the late winner. I bet he’s still smiling now. Well taken goal too - you see seasoned pros putting those chance into the Ponny.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 17, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Was a ST holder from 04 until the play off winning campaign.

Then 1st baby come along, and since got to as many as possible.
No.2 is due January so made it bit more difficult.

Experienced FGR and Macclesfield so far, then went today...

Summary: we was bang average at very best.

Macca did everything asked of him, and bailed Collins out big time
Back 4 did ok, Collins was fine apart from that 1 moment, fox was below average first half, ok second

Midfield 4 was poor first half, and improved slightly second half

Vernam looked very good every time he had the ball

Cardwell won his share of headers, and dealt with a very difficult ref

Thomas looks dangerous, just didn't see enough of the ball

Woolford showed a good first touch from coming on and did well

Rose took his goal well, but showed a lack of decision making, but that will come with game time.

Most notable thing for me, was the fans
So many disgusting comments during the game

Telling fox he's excrement
Sack Collins
And moaning when we don't pass it forward

Decent crowd size, but a toxic atmosphere throughout for no reason at all

Crawley wasn't bad, and played some good football, with a few good individual players

I appreciate your reasons for not going so often, but the fans that go every week have been remarkably patient. A few utterances from those around you won't do any harm, will it? At a lot of other grounds, the team would have received non-stop stick for the shockingly inept first-half display in particular.

I am afraid when you sit 20th in League 2 after many years of failure you will not get a crowd not showing their frustrations. I must say I thought the attendance was fantastic - we had many games in the Championship with fewer home fans than that.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 17, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 23
I was gobsmacked at the attendance tbh. Expected 3,800. Which would have still been respectable with a tiny away element. Glad they responded with a win. Which is what most will remember and hopefully they’ll continue to come back.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 17, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 24
3 of us went to the Docks Beers taproom before the game.  Very good beers, atmosphere, place and all tables full.  Good to see couples and families there as well.

I joked with one of the owners that this may be the highlight of the day.  Well.......................

At least we got 3 points when not playing at our best.  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 17, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from marinerdazza
I was gobsmacked at the attendance tbh. Expected 3,800. Which would have still been respectable with a tiny away element. Glad they responded with a win. Which is what most will remember and hopefully they’ll continue to come back.

I agree the attendance was very good
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 17, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 26
The reason I still keep supporting Town are for little moments like today and what it means to Akheem to score his first league goal.
Posted by: quebec38, November 17, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 27
Crawley definitely edged it in the first half. Impressively at one point they must have kept the ball for nearly 2 minutes leading to a chance. Their right back was finding a lot of space and causing problems. Fair play to Grimsby for just staying in the game though which is what you need to do sometimes. I thought we improved slightly in the second half.
I can't say a bad word about Fox or Cardwell after their heroics last season but I thought they looked a little bit off the pace today although they can be forgiven as they are only just back fit. Cardwell especially seemed to mistime every jump and generally just pose little threat.
Rose looked dangerous from the off when he beat his man to get onto a ball in the box before getting a nudge which would have sent most experienced pros to the ground but he managed to keep his balance. He took his goal brilliantly as well but just as importantly he found that all important position and space to get it. I was so pleased for him and even more so since hearing him on RH. He comes across as such a grounded kid.
Did I hear right at the end, was Pringle MOTM? I thought he did ok but struggled on the right having to turn back inside each time. He didn't stop trying though and there is definitely a good player in there.
Lastly I will just say that the ref was truly shocking today. I don't envy their job but he was so bad and out of his depth to the point I would question whether he even knows the rules as well as he should.
Nice one Grimsby a big 3 points today :-)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 17, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 28
It's hard to be too critical of someone starting his first game of the season in mid-November but I'm struggling to work out the logic of starting with Cardwell today. He missed a great chance, gave countless free-kicks away and looked pretty immobile.

The point I'm making is that we seemed to have no balance because his selection sent Thomas wider and more out of the game.
Posted by: Pontooner, November 17, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 29
Total contrast from the MKD Game. Very little quality football on show, with Crawley working hard to stop Town playing.

Vernam and Pringle showed some quality on the ball, but there was very little end product from them or elsewhere in the team. Embleton's presence being sorely missed.

Second half substitutions improved Town and towards the end of the game they began to apply some pressure. Eventually Rose was presented with a chance, which he clinically dispatched.

Think a couple of decent editions are required to provide the sort of goal threat required to really climb the table, but for now, it's 3 valuable points and a clean sheet. Confidence is key, so the last two games will do that no harm at all.
Posted by: mariner91, November 17, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 30
First game since the Colchester win for me today and I was pleased to come away with Town securing the three points. Really pleased for Akheem, hopefully the start of many. Love finishes like that when it's lashed in with real venom.

However, let's not paper over the cracks. We were very poor. So were Crawley. The quality on show was awful with far more basic errors being made than I can remember from many other games. Like others, I was surprised at Cardwell starting and he was clearly not match sharp. He did a job for us last season but he needs time to bed in before he's fully fit. Even then, he's lacking in quality. The chance he missed is the sort a striker really should be taking but I have doubts if he'll ever score many, if any at all.

The defence did okay but Collins is a shadow of the player he once was. There was one attack in the second half where Crawley were breaking at pace and instead of trying to hold some sort of defensive shape, Collins made a beeline for our area, playing their winger onside and allowing them to advance far up the pitch quickly. Fortunately they had Palmer up front who has all the finesse of a sledgehammer so they didn't score but we've seen plenty of times where similar has happened and we've been punished. His legs are gone, put him out to pasture. As for the backpass to Macca, that was just unbelievably shite. Fox looked a little short of sharpness but that will come. Hendrie impressed, I like him.

The midfield worked hard but there was little quality or attacking intent. We still don't have a proper winger. Vernam is good on the ball but he's wasted out wide, it's not his natural position. I thought Pringle was fairly anonymous for most of the game. Hessenthaler and Clifton worked hard but there many basic errors such as playing the ball behind a man instead of into his run. Clifton is a great prospect but I think some on here over-egg his ability. He will come on though, I do like him but I was surprised so many seemed to think he was man of the match from what was a bang average performance from him. The lack of movement in the middle and the lack of speed in thought and execution, particularly first half, made us very easy to defend against. We have no width for much of the game because we have no natural wide players and the lack of people showing for feet or moving to create space for others to fill means we ended up just knocking it long more often than not. This would be fine if we had the players to make the most of this but we don't.

Today highlighted to me what a poor job in squad building Jolley did this summer. We've got no natural wide players. We've got a limited selection of full backs. We've got too many players who aren't quite out and out strikers but aren't really midfielders either. We still don't really have a striker able to mix it with the brutes in this division if we are forced to go long. And as has been the case with Town for as long as I can remember, we still have a really slow team. I said at the start of the season that he'd got his recruitment all wrong to play a certain formation (3-5-2) and I stand by this (no wingbacks, relatively immobile central defenders). He then quickly panicked and dropped that idea but due to his lack of foresight and lack of proper wingers (poor squad building again), we can't fully play any formation fully effectively.This isn't a call for him to go. There have been some good things this season. I'm pleased we've got a young squad and that at times we've played some good football so I'm not calling for him to go. My hope is that we recruit a couple of wingers and inject some pace into the team in January. I don't think we'll go down but without some reinforcements to add where we're lacking, it could be a close run thing again.

Oh and the ref was an absolute joke today. Onwards and upwards.
Posted by: Bigdog, November 17, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from mariner91
First game since the Colchester win for me today and I was pleased to come away with Town securing the three points. Really pleased for Akheem, hopefully the start of many. Love finishes like that when it's lashed in with real venom.

However, let's not paper over the cracks. We were very poor. So were Crawley. The quality on show was awful with far more basic errors being made than I can remember from many other games. Like others, I was surprised at Cardwell starting and he was clearly not match sharp. He did a job for us last season but he needs time to bed in before he's fully fit. Even then, he's lacking in quality. The chance he missed is the sort a striker really should be taking but I have doubts if he'll ever score many, if any at all.

The defence did okay but Collins is a shadow of the player he once was. There was one attack in the second half where Crawley were breaking at pace and instead of trying to hold some sort of defensive shape, Collins made a beeline for our area, playing their winger onside and allowing them to advance far up the pitch quickly. Fortunately they had Palmer up front who has all the finesse of a sledgehammer so they didn't score but we've seen plenty of times where similar has happened and we've been punished. His legs are gone, put him out to pasture. As for the backpass to Macca, that was just unbelievably shite. Fox looked a little short of sharpness but that will come. Hendrie impressed, I like him.

The midfield worked hard but there was little quality or attacking intent. We still don't have a proper winger. Vernam is good on the ball but he's wasted out wide, it's not his natural position. I thought Pringle was fairly anonymous for most of the game. Hessenthaler and Clifton worked hard but there many basic errors such as playing the ball behind a man instead of into his run. Clifton is a great prospect but I think some on here over-egg his ability. He will come on though, I do like him but I was surprised so many seemed to think he was man of the match from what was a bang average performance from him. The lack of movement in the middle and the lack of speed in thought and execution, particularly first half, made us very easy to defend against. We have no width for much of the game because we have no natural wide players and the lack of people showing for feet or moving to create space for others to fill means we ended up just knocking it long more often than not. This would be fine if we had the players to make the most of this but we don't.

Today highlighted to me what a poor job in squad building Jolley did this summer. We've got no natural wide players. We've got a limited selection of full backs. We've got too many players who aren't quite out and out strikers but aren't really midfielders either. We still don't really have a striker able to mix it with the brutes in this division if we are forced to go long. And has been the case with Town for as long as I can remember, we still have a really slow team. I said at the start of the season that he'd got his recruitment all wrong to play a certain formation (3-5-2) and I stand by this (no wingbacks, relatively immobile central defenders). He then quickly panicked and dropped that idea but due to his lack of foresight and lack of proper wingers (poor squad building again), we can't fully play any formation fully effectively.This isn't a call for him to go. There have been some good things this season. I'm pleased we've got a young squad and that at times we've played some good football so I'm not calling for him to go. My hope is that we recruit a couple of wingers and inject some pace into the team in January. I don't think we'll go down but without some reinforcements to add where we're lacking, it could be a close run thing again.

Although your assessment won't be too popular after a win, it is refreshingly honest and a relatively fair appraisal of a poor performance and the shortcomings in our squad...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 17, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from mariner91

Today highlighted to me what a poor job in squad building Jolley did this summer. We've got no natural wide players. We've got a limited selection of full backs. We've got too many players who aren't quite out and out strikers but aren't really midfielders either. We still don't really have a striker able to mix it with the brutes in this division if we are forced to go long. And as has been the case with Town for as long as I can remember, we still have a really slow team. I said at the start of the season that he'd got his recruitment all wrong to play a certain formation (3-5-2) and I stand by this (no wingbacks, relatively immobile central defenders). He then quickly panicked and dropped that idea but due to his lack of foresight and lack of proper wingers (poor squad building again), we can't fully play any formation fully effectively.This isn't a call for him to go. There have been some good things this season. I'm pleased we've got a young squad and that at times we've played some good football so I'm not calling for him to go. My hope is that we recruit a couple of wingers and inject some pace into the team in January. I don't think we'll go down but without some reinforcements to add where we're lacking, it could be a close run thing again.

I think his hands are tied regards some players. Dixon played at centre back Tuesday night but is overlooked today for a half fit Fox and Famewo, a centre back, has been preferred other weeks. I imagine he is on a good contract and if he isn't gone in January, I am sure he will be at the end of the season.

Hendrie was a great find and we need to keep him past January. It would be great if we could find someone similar for the left side too. Embleton makes us tick and we need to do everything to ensure he stays past January too.

I would like to see an out and out winger come in who can beat a man and deliver a mean cross. To meet these crosses and allow Thomas to do what he does best, we need a big striker.

Posted by: Croxton, November 17, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Bigdog

Although your assessment won't be too popular after a win, it is refreshingly honest and a relatively fair appraisal of a poor performance and the shortcomings in our squad...

I third your second !
Posted by: lukeo, November 17, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 34
If we can get within 8 or 9 points of those play offs by January...  ;) :P
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 17, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mariner91

I'm not sure how much of this can be down to Jolley. He clearly had a plan but didn't have the financial clout that others had. I'm sure he planned to have a more mobile John Welsh (too slow) and I'm sure he planned to have a more dynamic front man (Lee Angol), so long as we keep winning ugly, we'll be OK and he can have another couple of windows to build something better.
Posted by: mariner91, November 17, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not sure how much of this can be down to Jolley. He clearly had a plan but didn't have the financial clout that others had. I'm sure he planned to have a more mobile John Welsh (too slow) and I'm sure he planned to have a more dynamic front man (Lee Angol), so long as we keep winning ugly, we'll be OK and he can have another couple of windows to build something better.

I see what you're saying but even with a poor budget he could have signed at least one recognised wide midfielder. He didn't, nobody but Jolley can take the blame for that. He is also to blame for trying to implement 3-5-2 with a squad (largely of his signings) unsuited to playing it.
Posted by: lukeo, November 18, 2018, 7:39am; Reply: 37
People are forgetting that MJ is new to managing in the EPL and doesn't really know many people around or what the league is like, he's learning as he does the job. I can sympathise with him in some sense as, although on a much more amateur scale I've taken over a team where I only knew around 4 or 5 llaywrs and moved them into a league I've never been in before. It takes time to adapt and assess the situation. Funnily enough I also started the season out 352 and quickly reverted back to 433 when I realised that actually that suited my squad the best.
Like others have said, he will need time. I wish it was an easy fix and he would just get straight on it but it doesn't work like that unfortunately. Aslong as we don't get relegated or get into more debt then he deserves a season to settle in.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 38
Quoted from mariner91

I see what you're saying but even with a poor budget he could have signed at least one recognised wide midfielder. He didn't, nobody but Jolley can take the blame for that. He is also to blame for trying to implement 3-5-2 with a squad (largely of his signings) unsuited to playing it.

Maybe he thought that he could make 3-5-2 work with the personnel he had at his disposal - I don't know but I can't remember a game at home since maybe Lincoln where we have not had a back 4.
Posted by: rancido, November 18, 2018, 7:52am; Reply: 39

I appreciate your reasons for not going so often, but the fans that go every week have been remarkably patient. A few utterances from those around you won't do any harm, will it? At a lot of other grounds, the team would have received non-stop stick for the shockingly inept first-half display in particular.

I am afraid when you sit 20th in League 2 after many years of failure you will not get a crowd not showing their frustrations. I must say I thought the attendance was fantastic - we had many games in the Championship with fewer home fans than that.

For what it's worth I think too many fans expect a lot from 2nd division football possibly due to seeing so much higher level football on tv. We are a league 2 club with league 2 players and W.I.P.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 18, 2018, 8:23am; Reply: 40
Quoted from mariner91

Recognised wide midfielder? Someone who goes past his man anf gets crosses in?

Havent seen one all season. Largely obselete in the modern game but a cure idea
Posted by: paulgtfc, November 18, 2018, 9:06am; Reply: 41
Jolley deserves massive credit for bringing Rose on - can't imagine Hurst or Slade taking that chance.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2018, 10:24am; Reply: 42
Quoted from paulgtfc
Jolley deserves massive credit for bringing Rose on - can't imagine Hurst or Slade taking that chance.

I agree about Hurst but who stuck by Rose through all the visa business? must have seen something in the lad to do that.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 18, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 43
Quoted from paulgtfc

Don’t disagree, the ironic thing for me is that it was Bignot who tied Rose to the club and clearly saw something early on.

Posted by: Davec, November 18, 2018, 11:06am; Reply: 44
I thought it was Neil Woods who first spotted him when he was at Walsall.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 18, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 45
That Visa malarkey took so long I thought Brian Laws signed him.
Posted by: joe56, November 18, 2018, 11:55am; Reply: 46
A couple of weeks ago I was on here bemoaning the fact that, by and large, our shooting lacked power, and many efforts looked like nothing more than passes to the goalkeeper. After Rose’s goal yesterday, I rest my case. The ball had hit the net before the keeper even had time to think about it. I hope the lad becomes a regular starter before long. Also, though I know many would disagree, I think Pringle is a “proper” footballer whose basic skills and awareness are way ahead of most at this level. I know there are issues about his tracking back, etc, but the quality of his crosses alone make him worth his place in my opinion. If he adds to that the goalscoring ability that has shown elsewhere, then we have a lot to look forward to.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2018, 12:02pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Davec
I thought it was Neil Woods who first spotted him when he was at Walsall.

I never knew you need a visa to get out of Walsall. ;D
Posted by: oldun, November 18, 2018, 12:11pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't forget Whitehead was a key part of the plan
Posted by: Grantley, November 18, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from oldun

Don't forget Whitehead was a key part of the plan

Don't forget Whitehouse's name either!
Posted by: Davec, November 18, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 50

I never knew you need a visa to get out of Walsall. ;D

When Rose first signed in 2016/17 season Neil Woods mentioned he had Rose on trial for Walsall but he never signed as they had already committed to signing 2 other strikers.
Posted by: toontown, November 18, 2018, 2:03pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from joe56
A couple of weeks ago I was on here bemoaning the fact that, by and large, our shooting lacked power, and many efforts looked like nothing more than passes to the goalkeeper. After Rose’s goal yesterday, I rest my case. The ball had hit the net before the keeper even had time to think about it. I hope the lad becomes a regular starter before long. Also, though I know many would disagree, I think Pringle is a “proper” footballer whose basic skills and awareness are way ahead of most at this level. I know there are issues about his tracking back, etc, but the quality of his crosses alone make him worth his place in my opinion. If he adds to that the goalscoring ability that has shown elsewhere, then we have a lot to look forward to.

It's all about opinions isn't it - for me pringle is a liability. The fact he occasionally has it in his locker to produce a good through ball when given time and space doesnt make up for his many faults. Every time the ball comes to him if we are on a break he slows it down, turns towards his own goal, and the chance is gone. His lack of pace, slow decision making, not tracking back etc, really not impressed with him.
Posted by: sam gy, November 18, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 52
You’ve gotta remember Pringle has barely played in the last few seasons. The guy has obviously got great qualities, it just might take a little longer for him to get fully up to speed.

Oh, and he’s a winger - for those saying Jolley didn’t sign any.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 18, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from sam gy
You’ve gotta remember Pringle has barely played in the last few seasons. The guy has obviously got great qualities, it just might take a little longer for him to get fully up to speed..

That might explain when he does a good forward pass he just either stands still or walks a few steps,

When he is fit he might run and give the player with the ball another option.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 18, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 54
A few more thoughts after having a day to digest things.

I think the crowd may have been higher than expected due to there being no Prem or Championship games over the weekend. Some just maybe wanted a footy fix on Saturday?

Our left side worried me greatly yesterday, especially first half. Pringle has some good qualities, but tracking back and defending are not among them. Not yet anyway, and maybe he will improve in that regard as he gets match fit. Fox looked very rusty at times and they were having a lot of joy down their right.

Cardwell looked like a fish out of water at times and just doesn't seem to have that goalscoring instinct to me. He doesn't have the other attributes that make him valuable either, like roughing up the defenders and creating space. Again, i'm hoping this is just down to lack of experience and/or lack of game time.

Akheem Rose, as well as being fast, looks to have the thing they can't teach good goalscorers, which is anticipation of where the ball is going to be and where the gaps are in defences.

Luke Hendrie looks to be a shoe-in at right full back and we need to get him tied to a longer deal.

Clifton is a very good prospect. A long way from the finished article, but reads and sees the game well and doesn't let his head drop. Keeps on going right 'til the end, whether he's had a good, bad or indifferent game, which is why he was my MOM, despite Hendrie probably having a better all round game.

Thomas is a great signing, but he isn't prolific and we need someone else up there to share the load. We have too many "forwards" and not enough "goalscorers".

We need more pace in key areas.

We are a decent, hard working side, with better all round players than we had last year and i think we will be ok in the league as we are, but need a good January window to progress the side. Jolley will need another 2 to 3 windows i think to make us into a side to be reckoned with. Assuming he gets the time and funds to do so.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 18, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from ginnywings
A few more thoughts after having a day to digest things.

I think the crowd may have been higher than expected due to there being no Prem or Championship games over the weekend. Some just maybe wanted a footy fix on Saturday?

Our left side worried me greatly yesterday, especially first half. Pringle has some good qualities, but tracking back and defending are not among them. Not yet anyway, and maybe he will improve in that regard as he gets match fit. Fox looked very rusty at times and they were having a lot of joy down their right.

Cardwell looked like a fish out of water at times and just doesn't seem to have that goalscoring instinct to me. He doesn't have the other attributes that make him valuable either, like roughing up the defenders and creating space. Again, i'm hoping this is just down to lack of experience and/or lack of game time.

Akheem Rose, as well as being fast, looks to have the thing they can't teach good goalscorers, which is anticipation of where the ball is going to be and where the gaps are in defences.

Luke Hendrie looks to be a shoe-in at right full back and we need to get him tied to a longer deal.

Clifton is a very good prospect. A long way from the finished article, but reads and sees the game well and doesn't let his head drop. Keeps on going right 'til the end, whether he's had a good, bad or indifferent game, which is why he was my MOM, despite Hendrie probably having a better all round game.

Thomas is a great signing, but he isn't prolific and we need someone else up there to share the load. We have too many "forwards" and not enough "goalscorers".

We need more pace in key areas.

We are a decent, hard working side, with better all round players than we had last year and i think we will be ok in the league as we are, but need a good January window to progress the side. Jolley will need another 2 to 3 windows i think to make us into a side to be reckoned with. Assuming he gets the time and funds to do so.

Agree with most of this but think that, considering his absence, Fox did pretty well yesterday - give me a half-fit Fox over Paul Dixon every day.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, November 19, 2018, 9:11am; Reply: 56
Probably one of the scrappiest games I have seen all season, but you got the 3 points & that's all that matters.
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, November 19, 2018, 11:58am; Reply: 57
Is there anything more satisfying than an 86th. minute goal against a goalkeeper that has been time wasting since the 20th. minute?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, November 19, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
Is there anything more satisfying than an 86th. minute goal against a goalkeeper that has been time wasting since the 20th. minute?

A goal deep into the stoppage time that the time wasting has caused would be a bit more satisfying.

I'm sure my sphincter muscles would appreciate us scoring a bit later too!
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:39am