Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 17, 2018, 2:12pm
Quotes from the Shrewsbury chairman when asked about the possible managerial return of out of work Paul Hurst:

"A lot of things went on which obviously not everybody's privy to. Some things have come out recently, the way everything happened in the last few months before Paul left, clearing his desk before the biggest game in our history."

"There's no doubt interviews took place before that. Things come out in football. People talk. Eventually you find out more and more truths.

"When you've lost that trust, somebody's been doing stuff behind your back for such a length of time, at a really important time for the football club. Nobody's bigger than the football club.

"Paul and his agent negotiated a contract at the turn of the year, which is only 10 months ago, and then he was obviously trying to work on his exit strategy."

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46235583
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 1
“BBC Shropshire have tried to contact Hurst, but have yet to receive a response.”

Perhaps they dialled Doig’s number by mistake.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 17, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 2
“BBC Shropshire have tried to contact Hurst, but have yet to receive a response.”

Perhaps they dialled Doig’s number by mistake.

Well he wont know anything,

He would say " we do not comment on speculation and at the moment we are employed by Grimsby Town  (  I think " )
Posted by: Vance Warner, November 17, 2018, 2:32pm; Reply: 3
Don't blame him for not wanting to miss out on an opportunity at Ipswich. Happens at all levels of the game and Shrewsbury weren't exactly transparent when they poached him from us. Also can't fault him for wanting away from the current regime and elements of the fan base at town.

Really hope he doesn't go to Notts County as he will sort them out pretty quickly.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, November 17, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 4
To be fair, he did with Rob Scott when we appointed them so it’s not the first time he has done it, probably did it to us too what we don’t know about
Posted by: kamakazebear, November 17, 2018, 3:28pm; Reply: 5
Hurst never gave his side of the story after shouty left and he hasn't given his side of the story on what the Shrews chairmen said.

Until then, who knows what the truth is.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 17, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 6
Did he go on to describe how the conversations went when Hurst left GTFC? I doubt it.

Their chairman was more than happy when he kept them up and prior to their play off defeat.

If he’d have took them up I’m sure he’d have had a different view.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 17, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 7
So basically he did a Slade on them. Didn't stop Slade going back to Town years later did it  :(
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 17, 2018, 5:17pm; Reply: 8
You're a football manager. You're lucky to last 18 months in the job. You'd be foolish not to check
out your options. (You can spoil the fans and some of them still want rid of you!)

I don't blame him.  

It's only the fans that manifest loyalty in football these days...not the players or the managers.

Most players employ agents in order to check out their options, let us not forget.
How long before managers start having them?

Now the chairperson of a club is supposed to have the best interests of the club at heart - obviously -
so....erm.....I don't think I want to continue that particular avenue of discussion just now.
Not while I'm enjoying 3 p(o)ints!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 17, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 137
You're a football manager. You're lucky to last 18 months in the job. You'd be foolish not to check
out your options. (You can spoil the fans and some of them still want rid of you!)

I don't blame him.  

It's only the fans that manifest loyalty in football these days...not the players or the managers.

Most players employ agents in order to check out their options, let us not forget.
How long before managers start having them?

Now the chairperson of a club is supposed to have the best interests of the club at heart - obviously -
so....erm.....I don't think I want to continue that particular avenue of discussion just now.
Not while I'm enjoying 3 p(o)ints!

Clubs get punished for tapping up managers. We did. Why should managers be exempt from blame in breaching the rules. It takes two to tango after all.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 17, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 10
Hursty is a bit slippery so what , all managers are the same ... in other news a very promising young man got a winner for us today
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 17, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Clubs get punished for tapping up managers. We did. Why should managers be exempt from blame in breaching the rules. It takes two to tango after all.

I read it as Hurst looking around, rather than him being tapped up.

My point is that the 'rules' are not sensible/appropriate for a job as insecure as football management.
All managers get the bullet sooner or later...except Sir Alex who narrowly dodged his.

You can't expect someone in that job not to know that, or other clubs not to try to take advantage of that fact.

I'm not saying it's right...but what is in football nowadays?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 17, 2018, 5:52pm; Reply: 12
Let it go.
Posted by: PPMariner, November 17, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Did he go on to describe how the conversations went when Hurst left GTFC? I doubt it.

Their chairman was more than happy when he kept them up and prior to their play off defeat.

If he’d have took them up I’m sure he’d have had a different view.

Why would he mention that when asked about Hurst returning to Shrewsbury? He answered the question asked. And his judgement of the man would be unlikely to change whether they'd won or lost the play-off final.

Once a Hurst fan, always a Hurst fan.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, November 17, 2018, 6:47pm; Reply: 14
The bloke's a total tosser and so is Doig
Posted by: chaos33, November 17, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 15
I don't care
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 17, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Let it go.

Great song! ❄
Posted by: golfer, November 17, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Great song! ❄

And it looks like you're a queen  :X
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 18, 2018, 8:00am; Reply: 18
Plenty on social media saying he will be managing black and white stripes again
Posted by: PPMariner, November 18, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 19
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Plenty on social media saying he will be managing black and white stripes again

Could make the last home game before Christmas a great day.
Posted by: paulgtfc, November 18, 2018, 8:53am; Reply: 20
Presumably Hurst is being paid by Ipswich until his next job - if so surely he will wait until a L1 job comes up.  That rules out a return here and the Notts C job.

BTW a mate of mine was at Meadow Lane today and told me County looked like a relegation team and that it was a fair result.  Be very interesting to see who County appoint..
Posted by: GrimRob, November 18, 2018, 11:00am; Reply: 21
County could easily be a L1 club in a couple of years time, if they offer decent money and contract length it shouldn't be a problem for him to accept.
Posted by: Davec, November 18, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 22
I've heard that Paul Hurst will be appointed Notts County manager very soon.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Davec

He’s 5/2 favourite.

Fool if he doesn’t take it. Good money, good budget, good bonus for avoiding relegation. Even if they went down he could blame someone else - the owner, previous managers, players,  fans. It’s a win/win for him.

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 18, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from paulgtfc
Presumably Hurst is being paid by Ipswich until his next job - if so surely he will wait until a L1 job comes up.  That rules out a return here and the Notts C job.

BTW a mate of mine was at Meadow Lane today and told me County looked like a relegation team and that it was a fair result.  Be very interesting to see who County appoint..

Based on what?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 18, 2018, 3:40pm; Reply: 25
I hope Hurst doesn’t go to Notts County as there’s a good chance he’ll sort them out which is the last thing we need as we’re part of the same relegation battle.
Posted by: Posh Harry, November 18, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Davec

I’m assuming that’s using your extensive network of contacts in the professional game Aaron 😂
Posted by: paulgtfc, November 18, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

Based on what?

My understanding - which may be wrong - of managerial contracts.  I understand that a sacked manager doesn't get his contract paid up automatically; instead it is only paid up until he finds a new job.

Please feel free to correct me and no doubt some clubs veer from the norm anyway.
Posted by: paulgtfc, November 18, 2018, 7:04pm; Reply: 28

He’s 5/2 favourite.

Fool if he doesn’t take it. Good money, good budget, good bonus for avoiding relegation. Even if they went down he could blame someone else - the owner, previous managers, players,  fans. It’s a win/win for him.

That may be slightly difficult with over half a season left PLUS a transfer window.  Jolley worked his miracle with a lot less favourable conditions  8)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 18, 2018, 7:18pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from paulgtfc

That may be slightly difficult with over half a season left PLUS a transfer window.  Jolley worked his miracle with a lot less favourable conditions  8)

Yes but people keep telling us how good he is at difficult things. ;)

Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, November 18, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from paulgtfc

My understanding - which may be wrong - of managerial contracts.  I understand that a sacked manager doesn't get his contract paid up automatically; instead it is only paid up until he finds a new job.

Please feel free to correct me and no doubt some clubs veer from the norm anyway.

Managers nagotiate a payoff which normally is a percentage of the remaining contact net worth.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 19, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 31
Man negotiates better job for himself whilst his stock is high.

Shock.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 19, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 32
Hurst now odds on to be next Notts County manager.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, November 19, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin
Hurst now odds on to be next Notts County manager.

Hope he doesn't get appointed. He'd get them organised and out of relegation bother.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 19, 2018, 3:03pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Hope he doesn't get appointed. He'd get them organised and out of relegation bother.

Yes but just think what his interview would sound like prior to them playing us, he always talked up the opposition so much I think the players were scared stiff, imagine him talking about our magnificent strike force.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Gaffer58

Yes but just think what his interview would sound like prior to them playing us, he always talked up the opposition so much I think the players were scared stiff, imagine him talking about our magnificent strike force.

us have to be careful as whilst (cups ears) Grimsby have the worst scoring record in the division its going to be a tricky fixture so i will take a point now
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Gaffer58

MJ says the same thing every week, 'they are a good side with a good manager who I respect' - No different to what most managers come out with yet it is still a stick to beat Paul Hurst with
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2018, 4:31pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

us have to be careful as whilst (cups ears) Grimsby have the worst scoring record in the division its going to be a tricky fixture so i will take a point now

Its got 0-0 written all over it.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2018, 7:44pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Cloudy

MJ says the same thing every week, 'they are a good side with a good manager who I respect' - No different to what most managers come out with yet it is still a stick to beat Paul Hurst with

no...not having that..whilst managers are generally respectful of the opposition and rightly so Hurst went way over the top....given that our position was relatively high during his tenure so when we played teams who hadnt won a game for months, couldnt score for toffee or who were ravaged by injury or suspension he would never lean towards being positive pre match ...also when in those games we only ended up with a point it was "a good point"

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 19, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Cloudy

Agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that people use that to beat him with.

Especially when there's much better ones to beat him with.  ;)
Posted by: Oly1987, November 24, 2018, 3:31am; Reply: 40
Love looking at all the Hursty hate followed by "Hope county don't sign him as he's a good manager"
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from moosey_club

no...not having that..whilst managers are generally respectful of the opposition and rightly so Hurst went way over the top....given that our position was relatively high during his tenure so when we played teams who hadnt won a game for months, couldnt score for toffee or who were ravaged by injury or suspension he would never lean towards being positive pre match ...also when in those games we only ended up with a point it was "a good point"

Absolutely. People do say the same things but for different reasons. In Hurst’s case that pre-match mantra was part of his negativity, the martyr who was doing a wonderful job in such a difficult league.

Posted by: Cloudy, November 24, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 42

Absolutely. People do say the same things but for different reasons. In Hurst’s case that pre-match mantra was part of his negativity, the martyr who was doing a wonderful job in such a difficult league.

Says the man who has never made a positive post!!!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 24, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Cloudy

Says the man who has never made a positive post!!!

Very hard to be positive about a comment that you disagree with, as you have just proved. ;D

Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:43pm