Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 16, 2018, 6:47pm
Max Wright loaned out to Boston till March, 1972 players at BP tomorrow and 25 primary schools playing in a tournament - all on the GTFC website but no mention of Adam Forrest?
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 16, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Max Wright loaned out to Boston till March, 1972 players at BP tomorrow and 25 primary schools playing in a tournament - all on the GTFC website but no mention of Adam Forrest?

Are we sending him in a time machine?  ;)
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 16, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 2
[quote=1122] 1972 players at BP tomorrow /quote]

Is that the year or do you mean the squad we had under Bignot ?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why would there be?

Looking at our fitness levels and training injuries our gain is Blackpool's loss.
Posted by: Teesknees, November 16, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 4
The following players from the 72 squad will be at the match tomorrow according to the main site

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman
Posted by: Ipswin, November 16, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Teesknees
The following players from the 72 squad will be at the match tomorrow according to the main site

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

Heartbreaking that the great man himself Sir Matt won't be there
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 16, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 6
I'll be pleased to see Jim, I've got a 2CV to book in for a service.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Ipswin

I’m sure he’ll be in everyone’s thoughts and best wishes and quite rightly so IMHO!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 16, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 8
Who gives a fook about the fitness coach ? I’d never heard of him or knew he was part of the staff till this week
Posted by: psgmariner, November 16, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ivanosandwich

;D

I’ve passed that one on to my dad (Phillip Lumley).
Posted by: GrimRob, November 16, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Who gives a fook about the fitness coach ? I’d never heard of him or knew he was part of the staff till this week

If you haven't heard of him it means he's not important then?  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 16, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Teesknees

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

Wish I'd known about this before. That list is pretty much why I'm on this site, 46 years on, 200 miles away, still following.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 16, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Wish I'd known about this before. That list is pretty much why I'm on this site, 46 years on, 200 miles away, still following.

You never lose it Chris 🙂
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 16, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You never lose it Chris 🙂

Well, to be honest I had a few years off in the late 70s-82. For my own warped teenaged reasons. Probably missed our best ever era since the 30s!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 17, 2018, 12:20am; Reply: 14
Shame we have not got the big man there Lawie mac
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, November 17, 2018, 6:07am; Reply: 15
Quoted from GrimRob

If you haven't heard of him it means he's not important then?  ;)

😂😂 it def sounds that way reading the post back . Amazing what a few beers can make you sound like . Worthy of a lot of red x’s .

But no he not important. Didn’t have all these fitness coaches back in my day etc etc ......😉
Posted by: Teesknees, November 17, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 16
On the subject of players past, there was a good interview with Tony Ford on the OS this week, I haven't seen it mentioned on here. He was talking about his career and he came acoss really well.. There was some footage of a couple of games involving Tony and the good team of that era, it showed a couple of meaty tackles, including a friendly one by Sir R Cumming, but what was noticable was the fact that the players tackled just got up and ran off, no rolling around on the floor if they'd been shot and no mass gathering around the ref trying to induce a sending off etc.
There was also some brief footage of Fred "How" Dineage interveiwing the players on the pitch after possibly beating Sheff Utd to win promotion.. that's only a guess.. there was no soundtrack.. but just thought if that type of footage still exists it would be good to see it in its entirety... it's good to reminisce to a better time!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 17, 2018, 8:50am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Teesknees

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

This team have a lot to answer for. I started going at the beginning of the 72 season and i'm still dragging my @rse there 46 years later.
Posted by: golfer, November 17, 2018, 8:52am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Teesknees

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

Can we play these against Crawley and let the present squad do the walkabout. Funny how everybody on this list brings back good memories
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 17, 2018, 9:02am; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings

This team have a lot to answer for. I started going at the beginning of the 72 season and i'm still dragging my @rse there 46 years later.

Well being Mr Picky they are certainly not all from 72 as think Bobby Ross would have been retired a couple of years by then & Phil Hubbard would have played against us for LINCOLN prior to joining Norwich. Phil is certainly a big lad now or was when I last saw him at golf club. Jim  Lumby could have been a youngster on the books but broke through two or three seasons later.

Certainly a fantastic gathering of old favourites but for many my age the King will always be Sir Matt and that fantastic return back to BP adding 5000 to the gate, Matt came back in 1970 I think and we had good finish to that season and Bobby Kennedy a little unlucky to get the boot but 71/72 was just a great season and what a start 4-1 home to Sunny, 4-3 home to Donny in League Cup and 4-3 away win at Exeter, no wonder we were all hooked as young teenagers 😄😄😄

Posted by: rancido, November 17, 2018, 12:19pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I had a 2CV once and it was the first car I ever had with AC - you pulled a knob on the dashboard which opened a vent to allow fresh air in! Very unique hinged door windows as well.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 17, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Teesknees
On the subject of players past, there was a good interview with Tony Ford on the OS this week, I haven't seen it mentioned on here. He was talking about his career and he came acoss really well.. There was some footage of a couple of games involving Tony and the good team of that era, it showed a couple of meaty tackles, including a friendly one by Sir R Cumming, but what was noticable was the fact that the players tackled just got up and ran off, no rolling around on the floor if they'd been shot and no mass gathering around the ref trying to induce a sending off etc.
There was also some brief footage of Fred "How" Dineage interveiwing the players on the pitch after possibly beating Sheff Utd to win promotion.. that's only a guess.. there was no soundtrack.. but just thought if that type of footage still exists it would be good to see it in its entirety... it's good to reminisce to a better time!

I'm fairly sure that Fred Dineage interview was at Mansfield the game before Sheff United when we drew 0-0 to clinch promotion,
Posted by: stuart brace was king, November 17, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from rancido

I had a 2CV once and it was the first car I ever had with AC - you pulled a knob on the dashboard which opened a vent to allow fresh air in! Very unique hinged door windows as well.

Haha!!! I remember those.
Had a Christmas job once at MFI Scunny and this guy used to pick me up in one.  He had this amazing knack of hitting the hinged window with his elbow, tapping his fagg and flicking the fagg ash off, all before the window swung back and clicked into place.  It was poetry in motion.
Also remember the car was effin cold in December!

UTM
Posted by: ivanosandwich, November 17, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from psgmariner

;D

I’ve passed that one on to my dad (Phillip Lumley).

;D
Posted by: The Yard Dog, November 17, 2018, 8:18pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

Spoke to his son Neil the other day, enquired about Matt, said he was doing ok, which was good to hear.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Teesknees

Tony was a bright lad and he had a great attribute, he clearly listened. I remember Tom Casey days very well from the old Barrett Stand and seeing those youngsters come into the side. John Newman was an excellent manager, often forgotten when people talk about great Town managers. He and George Kerr seemed to have the knack of knowing when to leave things alone and let the team play. There was a maturity in Kev Moore, Kev Drinkell, Tony Ford and co. and a team spirit like Fordy said that had come from being together so long. Ford and the Moore brothers came from the Wintringham team at the same time as Paul Emson who came back to Town via Derby.

Posted by: Teestogreen, November 17, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 26
I can remember being in Peterborough United's Directors Box around then when Town won 3-1. Phil Hubbard finished off a 15 pass move (or thereabouts) for our 3rd goal, and I think Jim Lumby scored one of the first 2 goals. Don't think Bobby Ross was around then though, as thought he was earlier?

Also, there's 3 goalkeepers in that squad, and town were pretty devoid of money at that time (to be able to support 3 goalkeepers) - but maybe?

Quoted from Teesknees

Dave Boylen
Harry Wainman
Bobby Ross
Owen Simpson
Mike Czuzman
Phil Hubbard
Alan Woodward
Stuart Gray
Neil Freeman
Clive Wiggington
Ian Turner
Jim Lumley
Mike Hickman

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Teestogreen
I can remember being in Peterborough United's Directors Box around then when Town won 3-1. Phil Hubbard finished off a 15 pass move (or thereabouts) for our 3rd goal, and I think Jim Lumby scored one of the first 2 goals. Don't think Bobby Ross was around then though, as thought he was earlier?

Also, there's 3 goalkeepers in that squad, and town were pretty devoid of money at that time (to be able to support 3 goalkeepers) - but maybe?

Harry W was Number One in 1971-2. The reserve keeper was a bloke called Cuff, can't remember his first name. McMenemy had Ian Turner in the team and then took him to Southampton where he had a very good career. Then Harry was back as Number One but he did miss some games and the reserve then was Neil Freeman. They more or less shared the job for a few seasons but it was mainly Harry until 1978. After that we were in the Batchy days.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 17, 2018, 9:21pm; Reply: 28

Harry W was Number One in 1971-2. The reserve keeper was a bloke called Cuff, can't remember his first name. McMenemy had Ian Turner in the team and then took him to Southampton where he had a very good career. Then Harry was back as Number One but he did miss some games and the reserve then was Neil Freeman. They more or less shared the job for a few seasons but it was mainly Harry until 1978. After that we were in the Batchy days.

Pat Cuff, was only on loan ( from Middlesbrough?)in 71-72.
Posted by: Teestogreen, November 17, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 29
I was just going to say - wasn't it Pat Cuff? Then I suddenly thought he may have been a jockey. But Cuff does ring a bell for us.

Cheers for all of that feedback.
Posted by: Teestogreen, November 17, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 30
Also, I am pretty sure that 'the hostile' Tony Ford bowled me out for a 'duck' at schools cricket - 'Wintringham'.  :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 17, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well being Mr Picky they are certainly not all from 72 as think Bobby Ross would have been retired a couple of years by then & Phil Hubbard would have played against us for LINCOLN prior to joining Norwich. Phil is certainly a big lad now or was when I last saw him at golf club. Jim  Lumby could have been a youngster on the books but broke through two or three seasons later.

Bob Ross retired in 1971 from the league but played for Gainsborough for a bit. He’d had a bad injury that he never really recovered from, either knee or ankle I think. Don McAvoy signed Bobby Smith from next door (remember him?) and he was supposed to be a replacement for Ross but only lasted a season.

Posted by: Teestogreen, November 17, 2018, 11:27pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Teestogreen
I was just going to say - wasn't it Pat Cuff? Then I suddenly thought he may have been a jockey. But Cuff does ring a bell for us.

Cheers for all of that feedback.

That's it. It was Pat Taaffe the jockey - Pat Cuff played for us.

Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:32am