Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: GrimRob, November 7, 2018, 8:51pm
Several people have expressed dissatisfaction over the years with the "red cross" option on the Fishy. I have knocked up a prototype with 3 alternatives:

https://jsfiddle.net/8dxt27Lz/show

Approach 1 - as now. This shows have may people approve and disapprove of a post.
Approach 2 - show net score. This shows the ticks MINUS the crosses, so gives a net score, but you cannot see how many of each type of vote there has been.
Approach 3 - show only the ticks. This is simpler but gives no idea how supported a post is. In the example shown it shows that 10 people agree with it but no indication of how many disagree.

This is a consultation and I have added a poll to help see what the preferred option is.
Posted by: lee65, November 7, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 1
So with approach 2, if you had received more negatives than positives your tick score would go no lower than zero?
Posted by: GrimRob, November 7, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from lee65
So with approach 2, if you had received more negatives than positives your tick score would go no lower than zero?

It can be positive or negative. In the example, it's 10 ticks and 30 crosses, so the net score is -20. 40 ticks and 30 crosses would have a net score of +10
Posted by: lee65, November 7, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 3
Cheers for the clarification Rob, I'm going to vote for that one then  :)
Posted by: Meza, November 7, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 4
would prefer "Likes" to ticks and crosses.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 7, 2018, 9:05pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from GrimRob

It can be positive or negative. In the example, it's 10 ticks and 30 crosses, so the net score is -20. 40 ticks and 30 crosses would have a net score of +10

I don't see much difference between option 1 and 2 really....just saves you doing the maths.......keep it as it is for me.

Posted by: LH, November 7, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 6
Option four: display who has ticked and crossed posts so you can call people out for disagreeing but not providing alternative views. It would create debate rather than descend into posters being glum about people not liking them.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 7, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from LH
Option four: display who has ticked and crossed posts so you can call people out for disagreeing but not providing alternative views. It would create debate rather than descend into posters being glum about people not liking them.

That's another alternative although with option 2 you simply don't know whether anyone has red crossed it unless the net score is negative {or you happen to notice it go down).
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 7, 2018, 9:34pm; Reply: 8
why even bother it's a stupid idea anyway.
Posted by: Spatchcock, November 7, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH

This one.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 7, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
why even bother it's a stupid idea anyway.

Exactly please can we have a further option 'I don't give a intercourse'

Can someone explain exactly what purpose it serves anyway?
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 7, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LH

Yeah, this.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 12
Rob at the moment idiots on here can red cross all day and nobody knows who they are,

So if you insist on having this available to them at least put their names to the cross,

I would rather they had to say what they disagree with so we could have a debate,

After all that's what a forum is all about don't you agree ?
Posted by: Meza, November 7, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
Rob at the moment idiots on here can red cross all day and nobody knows who they are,

So if you insist on having this available to them at least put their names to the cross,

I would rather they had to say what they disagree with so we could have a debate,

After all that's what a forum is all about don't you agree ?

I wouldn't say idiots Pete (well maybe a couple) but I do agree with knowing who's red crossed, but only for the better of the forum (to create further debate as you say).  I think sometimes, and someone else has mentioned this, that some cant be bothered to reply and its easier to hit the red cross but it would be nice as to why they have red crossed.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Meza

I wouldn't say idiots Pete (well maybe a couple) but I do agree with knowing who's red crossed, but only for the better of the forum (to create further debate as you say).  I think sometimes, and someone else has mentioned this, that some cant be bothered to reply and its easier to hit the red cross but it would be nice as to why they have red crossed.

Maybe not idiots Meza but there some who do not post but just red cross imo,

Certain Fenty supporters only post on here to stick up for him they never post on the usual every day topic,

Come on Rob lets name and shame and you will see the amount of red crosses go right down,

Give it a trial at least.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 7, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete

Certain Fenty supporters only post on here to stick up for him they never post on the usual every day topic,

Come on Rob lets name and shame and you will see the amount of red crosses go right down,

Maybe some just disagree with some of the idiotic posts which is why it was introduced. Either agree or disagree.
Don’t see any issue with the current system tbh, especially when you can switch it off if it doesn’t appeal to an individual
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Cloudy

Maybe some just disagree with some of the idiotic posts which is why it was introduced. Either agree or disagree.
Don’t see any issue with the current system tbh, especially when you can switch it off if it doesn’t appeal to an individual

So you are happy I red cross all your posts because I do not like you,
Not that I do and not that I dont like you because I dont know you.
Posted by: blundellpork, November 7, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 17
The current system is fine. If you don’t like it then just turn your own off.
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 7, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 18
Well I have seen it all now. You soft snowflake b@stards.
Hey Rob, let’s not have anything  negative about anything just in case someone gets PTSD from a Red Cross from a total stranger.  How about a pink cross (no offence intended to feminists, post op, pre op, trans op, non specific gender et fking cetera) which means ‘your post is fantastic, you are so special, but just maybe (if it’s ok with you) I might have a slightly different opinion. Nevertheless, your opinion is so so valid you should feel proud to have voiced it.

How ironic that this is being debated as we commemorate those who died or went  through genuine trauma almost daily.

You sad fuckkers.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 7, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 19
Can we not just get rid of red crosses?  We have enough negativity already with the team.

If you do not agree with a post then post your own contrary views.  
Posted by: lukeo, November 7, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 20
I couldn't care less, although something similar to Facebook would be good fun where you can see who has liked (ticked) and unticked it etc  :)
Posted by: AussieMariner, November 7, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 21
I suspect that if red crosses were no longer anonymous most of them would disappear as they are posted by cowardly Fuckwits who would run a mile from an actual debate.
I’ve noticed that the crosses appear almost immediately suggesting that there are ‘trolls’ constantly hovering on the site waiting to pounce and be negative, whereas the ticks trickle in suggesting that people who agree probably have a real life as well and respond when they have time.
So I really don’t give a sh1t and I take the crosses as a positive really, assuming that if anyone with a valid opinion disagrees they will almost certainly voice it.
If I had to vote I would go for the option of publishing the identity of the crossers just to thwart them.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 7, 2018, 11:10pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete

Name and shame?
felicitations sake, what's shameful about disagreeing with a post?
That's what it is, tick agree, cross disagree.
I've just crossed your post Pete, not because I don't like you, simply because I don't agree with that particular statement.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 11:16pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Name and shame?
felicitations sake, what's shameful about disagreeing with a post?
That's what it is, tick agree, cross disagree.
I've just crossed your post Pete, not because I don't like you, simply because I don't agree with that particular statement.

That's fine with me it is better than just putting a cross,

BUT

You failed to say why you disagreed. mate :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 11:22pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Civvy at last
Hey Rob, let’s not have anything  negative about anything just in case someone gets PTSD from a Red Cross from a total stranger.  How about a pink cross (no offence intended to feminists, post op, pre op, trans op, non specific gender et fking cetera) which means ‘your post is fantastic, you are so special, but just maybe (if it’s ok with you) I might have a slightly different opinion. Nevertheless, your opinion is so so valid you should feel proud to have voiced it.

How ironic that this is being debated as we commemorate those who died or went  through genuine trauma almost daily.

You sad fuckkers.

Civvy we have met a few years ago and I find a lot of your posts funny,

BUT

I hope you or your son who you frquently mention on here never suffer with depression,

If either of you do ( and I hope you dont )you might have a more symathetic  view.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, November 7, 2018, 11:51pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete

That's fine with me it is better than just putting a cross,

BUT

You failed to say why you disagreed. mate :)

Ah, now I'm starting to get your point.
You'll be thinking it was me gave the first cross but it wasn't. And I can't prove it as there's no name.
But I've ticked that actual post because I agree with it.
Not saying why mind. 😁
Posted by: davmariner, November 7, 2018, 11:59pm; Reply: 26
The status quo is fine. I like it, even when I’m red crossed. It gauges the opinion of the forum without people even needing to post. Keep it as it is. I can see why some people get upset by it but it’s not worth taking it personally. When I get more red crosses than positive, it just gives me a chance to see it from other people’s perspective.
Posted by: Grantley, November 8, 2018, 1:28am; Reply: 27
Who knew people could get so angry on a football forum?
Posted by: Townee82, November 8, 2018, 2:49am; Reply: 28
I can't believe a grown supposedly adult person is bothered about some silly little crosses while more important issues (like the team we support hovers around relegation ) let's just agree they are irrelevant ,if this topic is the most important thing in your life well i suggest you give your head a shake . Tick away !
Posted by: Civvy at last, November 8, 2018, 6:06am; Reply: 29
Quoted from grimsby pete

Civvy we have met a few years ago and I find a lot of your posts funny,

BUT

I hope you or your son who you frquently mention on here never suffer with depression,

If either of you do ( and I hope you dont )you might have a more symathetic  view.

Pete,

I have more understanding than most would realise.  I realise it’s an illness. But the red crosses on here (as far as I am aware) haven’t physically ‘caused’ anyone to be depressed. You yourself said yours last week was triggered by bad family news.
I’m sure by now you know the markers of when you are feeling low. When that is the case, stay away from here. As has been mentioned before, there is always the option to block them.  It’s a public forum mate, you wouldn’t take any notice (I hope) if a random stranger in a pub was taking the p1ss, so why bother about a faceless Red Cross. It wouldn’t bother me either way if they stay or go. I think most of us have more things in life to worry about than random comments on our opinions about a football team. But if I have to worry about upsetting someone on a public forum because I don’t agree with their views, it’s not a forum I want to be part of. The normal ‘Pete’ takes all this in the right way (as you well should). But when you are sensitive mate you need to have a break till you’re up to reading all the bollox on here without it getting to you.  If you arm is broken you don’t try and lift things till it’s healed.  So if your mind is poorly let it rest until it’s healed also !!
I do remember meeting you in the Imp, but I can’t remember which game.  Hope you’re feeling ok.

UTM.

And if you do t agree with this, feel free to red cross it mate 😉

UTM
Posted by: realist, November 8, 2018, 6:28am; Reply: 30
This is ridiculous. If a red cross at the bottom of one of your posts causes you so much grief you shouldn't be using social media at all. Leave it as it is. I know this might appear uncaring but if your mental state is such you should have the sense to look after yourself and not restrict everybody elses actions
Posted by: Grim74, November 8, 2018, 7:52am; Reply: 31

You sad fuckkers.

Bravo 👏🏼 Couldn’t of said it better myself.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 8, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Grim74

Bravo 👏🏼 Couldn’t of said it better myself.

Actually, you could 'have' done. (icon_wink)
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 8, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 33
Keep it as it is, if you don’t like the system then turn it off. There’s already an option there for you. It’s that simple!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 8, 2018, 11:06am; Reply: 34
If there was an option to turn off the names of posters then people would have to either tick, cross or respond on the basis of what they read, not on the basis of whether they like or dislike the poster.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 35
I would just like to add that although I am against the crosses as I think they are not needed and stops people having a debate I have turned them off so I can not see them which stops me ticking a good post, sorry about that,

I am not a snowflake and would stand up to anybody face to face no matter how big they are,

BUT

As civvy mention if I am feeling down I should stay away for a while until  I am feeling better,

So cross my posts as often as you like I will not see them but I would rather you talk to me and say why you think I am talking rubbish.

Cheers.
Posted by: realist, November 8, 2018, 11:43am; Reply: 36
Fair enough but pleased you have found a solution Pete
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 37
Quoted from realist
Fair enough but pleased you have found a solution Pete

Thanks  :)
Posted by: Rick12, November 8, 2018, 4:40pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from grimsby pete

I am not a snowflake and would stand up to anybody face to face no matter how big they are,

Good lad Pete  :)

Posted by: golfer, November 8, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from AussieMariner
I suspect that if red crosses were no longer anonymous most of them would disappear as they are posted by cowardly Fuckwits who would run a mile from an actual debate.
I’ve noticed that the crosses appear almost immediately suggesting that there are ‘trolls’ constantly hovering on the site waiting to pounce and be negative, whereas the ticks trickle in suggesting that people who agree probably have a real life as well and respond when they have time.
So I really don’t give a sh1t and I take the crosses as a positive really, assuming that if anyone with a valid opinion disagrees they will almost certainly voice it.
If I had to vote I would go for the option of publishing the identity of the crossers just to thwart them.

I'd birch the bstrds or make them play No. 9 for Town
Posted by: golfer, November 8, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from AussieMariner

I'd birch the bstrds or make them play No. 9 for Town
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 8, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 41
Can I just say that I voted 'No Red Crosses' because I think it would benefit the forum for people who
disagree with something to be obliged to explain why, and not because they upset me in the slightest.

Red crosses do enable me to quantify the number of people yet to achieve my level of wisdom, though.
Posted by: pizzzza, November 8, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 137

Red crosses do enable me to quantify the number of people yet to achieve my level of wisdom, though.

Well at the time of writing you have one red cross so thats one person with less wisdom than you. That's something I suppose.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 8, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from grimsby pete

So you are happy I red cross all your posts because I do not like you,
Not that I do and not that I dont like you because I dont know you.

Its your choice Pete, entirely up to you. Either way it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.
Posted by: wembley_double98, November 9, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 44
Reveal the members whom like or dislike as Facebook do
UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 7, 2019, 2:01pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from LH

Yep... that'd do it for me!
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 7, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 46
I think the red cross creates  friction between posters WE ARE ALL TOWN ARNE'T WE ?

How many times do you see a poster complain that they have been red crossed ?

Just have the tick and if other posters do not agree let them debate the problem Rob.

I would love to turn my ticks back on so I can give lots of posts I agree with a tick but I can not do that without turning the crosses on as well.

So instead of causing discontent lets debate our differences Rob.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 7, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 47
Personally don't give a flying fig one way or another, my only observation is that if someone puts up a purely information post, e.g. It's going to be windy on Saturday, they will still get some red crosses, even though the original post was a statement only, so I do think there are people who just red cross for the hell of it.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, January 7, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 48
I blocked seeing the red crosses ages ago using google code. So not bothered which one really as a lot of the time people just do it for no reason
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 7, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 49
If you get a shed load of red crosses you've always got a fair idea who they are based on the comments against your post. It's a bit irritating when you get a red cross for stating something informative or posting a link to something but, hey, who cares - if someone's sad enough to do that then they ought to join whoever it was that posted the other day that they were w@nking themselves silly.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 7, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 50
Leave it how it is.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 7, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 51
Boo hoo some horrid rotter has given me a red X 😢😢😢
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 7, 2019, 11:45pm; Reply: 52
Is it possible to set it up so you can't give a red cross without a comment?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 8, 2019, 4:23am; Reply: 53
Who gives a feck?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 16, 2019, 2:17pm; Reply: 54
Just seen that someone has pathetically given out an x on the Duncan Welbourne RIP thread.

To my mind that is totally disrespectful to everyone here who ever witnessed him play, to those at the club who will only hold their past team-mate in high esteem and to his friends & family who have to come to terms with their sad loss

Some people are just totally beyond belief  :-/
Posted by: Mallyner, January 16, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 55
As it's now 50.64 for keeping it as it is, very close.

Is it worth having a second referendum?  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 16, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Mallyner

Then a decider if it's 1-1   ;)  .....then after that another referendum just to make sure   ;)

Posted by: Civvy at last, January 16, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Mallyner

Rob needs to show some strong and stable leadership. That’ll sort it 😉
Posted by: Mallyner, January 16, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 58

Rob needs to show some strong and stable leadership. That’ll sort it 😉

You 'May' be right.  :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 16, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 59
Turned mine off a long time back simply because a red cross tells you nothing sensible. Sometimes it might be a reaction to the post but I have a feeling that red crosses are quite often given for unpopularity of the poster regardless of what they've written in a particular post.

If we can't get people to grow up and explain their ticks and crosses let's just get rid and then they cannot take that easy way out, They are forced to make a comment if they really feel that strongly or leave it alone.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 16, 2019, 6:11pm; Reply: 60
What a sensibly put post RRFC.. that’s a Red Cross from me mate    ;D
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 16, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 61
Do away with ticks and crosses, let's have snowflake icons instead. ❄
Posted by: Croxton, January 16, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from cmackenzie4
What a sensibly put post RRFC.. that’s a Red Cross from me mate    ;D

And a tick from me!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:39pm