Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, November 7, 2018, 12:24am
Just heard your interview tonight having heard you and watched Cambridge on Saturday. Let me be frank I really really want you to succeed and turn this around but you are doing yourself no favours by trying to bullshiite your ways through interviews and trying to deny what is obvious to most observers.
I know you need to support the players but are you really doing them or yourself any favours when you are trying to promote the false news that we are creating loads of chances and are very close to being a good side? You would actually do yourself a favour and earn a lot more kudos by being brutally honest. We all now know that this set of players aren't good  enough, they all have failings, but the major problem is that their individual failings are greater than the individual failings of the players they are up against .it is proved week after week after week. If we have the 19th worst budget in the league at least have the balls, the professionalism and the honesty to admit so. You would find most gtfc fans would get behind you rather than have this creeping feeling of resentment and Deja vu.
You are an intelligent man and will no doubt be aware of the saying ' plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose' and this sums up what we have had for 15-20 years and we are sick of it. I've watched 3-4 games this year and at best think we are marginally better off than we were last year. I really can't be bothered to put myself out and spend more of my money to be disappointed time after time. In all of the games I've seen we ve created half a dozen good chances, maximum.is this really good enough? W never look like scoring and we always look able to concede and that is a recipe for disaster.
If you are going to go out (which I hope you don't) at least go out with a bang, stop playing safe and try to play with some joie de vivre. I'd rather us lose 3-2 than watch the hopeless Shiite I watched on Saturday.
Please please please prove me wrong. Written with much regret
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 7, 2018, 3:14am; Reply: 1
Well, that hits home with me and a lot of others Forza I think it will be Jolley who walks rather than anything to do with Fenty.  

He is intelligent and will realise despite his efforts he is flogging a dead horse if he is hoping Fenty will spend the money needed to compete at this level.

We can all see how limited he is with QUALITY players here, this side is nowhere near being good enough I too want him to prove us all wrong but with the tools, he has at his disposal I fear the worst.

January window is our only hope lets see if Fenty helps him.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 7, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 2
It's as blunt a leading line as I've ever known, with a constantly changing midfield that never dictates a game for anything like long spells and a defence that, given chance, can defend half decently but is cracked open by the two mentioned problems.

The worst bit, we require converted penalties and own goals to score, and the bottom two to be complete ar$e to stay in the League,
Posted by: denni266, November 7, 2018, 7:42am; Reply: 3
Why are folk pinning there hopes on the jan window
1 no one decent will want to come to a struggling club.
2 fenty wont splash the cash. He is too busy trying to get back his own money.
3 MJ does not know what to do with players  if he had good ones.
Someone said in another thread that we look like a bunch of under 23s running around not knowing what to do. and i wonder why
Posted by: Cloudy, November 7, 2018, 8:12am; Reply: 4
Quoted from RoboCod
It's as blunt a leading line as I've ever known, with a constantly changing midfield that never dictates a game for anything like long spells and a defence that, given chance, can defend half decently but is cracked open by the two mentioned problems.

The worst bit, we require converted penalties and own goals to score, and the bottom two to be complete ar$e to stay in the League,

Havent we had an unchanged team for 3 or 4 games recently?
Posted by: RoboCod, November 7, 2018, 8:19am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Cloudy

Well, we've lost 3 in a row, though the changes obviously aren't always unforced but the shame is that Hess and Welsh were viewed as good signings, it looked to be a firm backbone for once. Instead we're back to Woolford in/out and the impressive Clifton dropping to make way regularly.

I don't feel we've had anything remotely resembling a settled midfield, I don't think we're close to knowing our best lineup/formation and Clifton aside, I could take or leave the other midfielders as they're just continuing the good/bad/promising/disappointing approach of the last 15 years.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 7, 2018, 8:28am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Cloudy

That’s exactly the point isn’t it? - we got out of the last run by happy accident of injuries forcing the selections and being largely responsible for the couple of results we got. Then we go back to swap shop midfield and we are off on another bad run. Robo is right in his assessment.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 7, 2018, 8:57am; Reply: 7
Reality check time.

This is the same as when we lost 4 in a row...

Then when we went 4 unbeaten, every change.

we are now back to before the Carlisle win

Michael took over possibly the worst team most of us has ever seen, with the majority of our players being on more than a 1 year contract.

Based on this, Michael's hands have been tied, and is doing his best with what he has available.

Do I blame Fenty, Yes, for believing in Slade for as long as he did.
But to be fair to Fenty, he has backed Jolley as much as possible in the summer, we had bids turned down for 3 strikers, and Jolley decided not to just buy anyone, and to wait.
We then got Thomas on a free transfer, who could easily play league 1 still.

MJ has IMO, still done a fantastic job with what he has available, and i will be more than happy to finish in the bottom half, and build on that.

We can't keep giving managers 1 or 2 transfer windows and expecting miracles, it doesn't happen.

Are we playing better football - Yes, not all the time, but enough to be incouraged
Has he lowered the squad's age - Yes
Did he manage to keep 1 of the best keeper's in the league and fight away offers from better clubs - Yes
Did he strenghten to bond with the club and the community - Yes

We got hammered, and played off the park by FGR on the first day of the season.
We then had the dreadful 2 games in September, and got hammered by Bury and Oldham, 4-0 and 3-0
Apart form them 3 games, we haven't lost by more than 2, which in 17 games, show's that we are staying in most of the games

Don't forget that moment when Matt scored that header.

Give Jolley time, expect more defeats, and more poor performances, but that happens to every manager,

Klopp is up there with the best, but his team lost 2-0 to a team that was 18/1 to win the game.... It happens!

I firmly believe Jolley is the right man
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 7, 2018, 9:54am; Reply: 8
Klopp and Jolley do have a lot in common. They both talk a good game and are clever at deflecting criticism.

Another thing they have in common -  Klopp’s side has been crap away in Europe this year, the defeat this week was completely predictable. Town has been crap all this season, this week’s defeat was totally predictable.

After that you are struggling with the comparison. Both owners will sack a failing manager but Liverpool’s owners will invest in players to improve the side with ambition. Grimsby’s owner is happy just to stay afloat.
Posted by: nightrider, November 7, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 9
Here you go Jurgen, take over the worst team in the club's history and make us into promotion contenders
The fans will give you one summer to do this in - succeed or be sacked
Oh and you have to do it without any money, because we aint got any
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 7, 2018, 11:12am; Reply: 10
Quoted from nightrider
Here you go Jurgen, take over the worst team in the club's history and make us into promotion contenders
The fans will give you one summer to do this in - succeed or be sacked
Oh and you have to do it without any money, because we aint got any

One thing for sure about the summer is, Fenty did back Jolley with money, maybe not as much as a lot of other clubs in our league, but I don't think Welsh, and Hess will be on low wages

And like i said, we did bid for 3 strikers, so it's not like we didn't try, but part of the problem is having players under contract that we don't want/need
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 7, 2018, 11:26am; Reply: 11
We lost 6 yes six in a row Jarmo and this Saturday could be 4 in a row,

I too are hoping he can bring some better players in come January,

We will know by the 3rd or 4th if we have because by then we would have signed out first choice players, Otherwise it will be at the end of the window signing the ones nobody else wanted.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 7, 2018, 1:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete
We lost 6 yes six in a row Jarmo and this Saturday could be 4 in a row,

I too are hoping he can bring some better players in come January,

We will know by the 3rd or 4th if we have because by then we would have signed out first choice players, Otherwise it will be at the end of the window signing the ones nobody else wanted.

And how many windows have we seen that happen Pete?  A manager quoted in the GT saying “well we have irons in the fire but we are in cometetition with other clubs and players have to consider offers and ..... “ year after year after year.

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 7, 2018, 1:51pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Reality check time.

This is the same as when we lost 4 in a row...

Then when we went 4 unbeaten, every change.

we are now back to before the Carlisle win

Michael took over possibly the worst team most of us has ever seen, with the majority of our players being on more than a 1 year contract.

Based on this, Michael's hands have been tied, and is doing his best with what he has available.

Do I blame Fenty, Yes, for believing in Slade for as long as he did.
But to be fair to Fenty, he has backed Jolley as much as possible in the summer, we had bids turned down for 3 strikers, and Jolley decided not to just buy anyone, and to wait.
We then got Thomas on a free transfer, who could easily play league 1 still.

MJ has IMO, still done a fantastic job with what he has available, and i will be more than happy to finish in the bottom half, and build on that.

We can't keep giving managers 1 or 2 transfer windows and expecting miracles, it doesn't happen.

Are we playing better football - Yes, not all the time, but enough to be incouraged
Has he lowered the squad's age - Yes
Did he manage to keep 1 of the best keeper's in the league and fight away offers from better clubs - Yes
Did he strenghten to bond with the club and the community - Yes

We got hammered, and played off the park by FGR on the first day of the season.
We then had the dreadful 2 games in September, and got hammered by Bury and Oldham, 4-0 and 3-0
Apart form them 3 games, we haven't lost by more than 2, which in 17 games, show's that we are staying in most of the games

Don't forget that moment when Matt scored that header.

Give Jolley time, expect more defeats, and more poor performances, but that happens to every manager,

Klopp is up there with the best, but his team lost 2-0 to a team that was 18/1 to win the game.... It happens!

I firmly believe Jolley is the right man

What he has available are in the main his players + adding the woeful Woolford as well when considering his contribution last season should not have been re-signed.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 7, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

What he has available are in the main his players + adding the woeful Woolford as well when considering his contribution last season should not have been re-signed.

I remember everyone saying the same after the Lincoln home game!
Posted by: sam gy, November 7, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 15
We had a pretty much unchanged line up for 6 games before last night. Don't utilise the squad and everyone is kicking off saying whats the point in signing players if we're not gonna play them - change the line up a bit (for a Tuesday game after a defeat on Sat) and everyone is claiming it's a merry go round. You can't win.

It's a shame we didn't hang on last night, but the difference in playing budget between us and Mansfield is absolutely huge. That's not the fault of MJ and changing manager won't help anything when the problem is the board. It always has been, and it always will be until a new regime is in place.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 7, 2018, 2:24pm; Reply: 16
Listened to his interview and the fact that he suggested that Woolford played well defensively makes me worry about his sanity.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11546669/mansfield-2-1-grimsby
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 7, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 17
People keep saying how poor our budget is (even Codalmighty quoted a position) but what proof to we have, if it is genuinely one of the smallest for this division than Mr Fenty gets all he deserves, but if it is a top 6 one than question should be directed in a different direction.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 7, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 18
what really depresses me is
a) the only thing we are praying/playing for is that macclesfield and A.N. Other turn out to be worse than us
and b) in 2 years i've only seen 2 good performances (barnet and fgr away)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 7, 2018, 4:43pm; Reply: 19
Forget how big or small our budget is....Acct Stanley proved if you get the right mix and balance of players and a manager who organise and strategize with tools at his disposal you can go on and win things... I'm sorry, but a good workman never blames his tools, whether he bought Aldi specials or snap-on...
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 7, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Gaffer58
People keep saying how poor our budget is (even Codalmighty quoted a position) but what proof to we have, if it is genuinely one of the smallest for this division than Mr Fenty gets all he deserves, but if it is a top 6 one than question should be directed in a different direction.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.

We couldn't even challenge the top payers in NON-LEAGUE so it is fairly obvious our budget is nowhere near "competitive" enough in league 2. You are correct in that we don't know for certain, but had it been towards the top end we would have got some of the players, strikers especially, that would have made a difference.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 7, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry
Listened to his interview and the fact that he suggested that Wooford played well defensively makes me worry about his sanity.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11546669/mansfield-2-1-grimsby

Yeah because going on to the media and slating a player is a great idea...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 7, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 22
Another thing they have in common -  Klopp’s side has been crap away in Europe this year, the defeat this week was completely predictable.

Hadn't they only played one game before last night?  :-/
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 7, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 23
I think the bookies had Red Star at between 10/1 and 14/1. You must have made a killing RRFC because neither the bookies nor very many punters predicted it.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 7, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

Hadn't they only played one game before last night?  :-/

Last night’s game was their 4th successive away defeat in Europe.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 7, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 25
Those second leg defeats in ties they won in the semi's and quarters of the premier club competition in the world really do prove just how crap they've been.

Edit - actually they beat Man City at the Etihad. You mean the final they lost to Real Madrid 😂
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 7, 2018, 7:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Those second leg defeats in ties they won in the semi's and quarters of the premier club competition in the world really do prove just how crap they've been.

Edit - actually they beat Man City at the Etihad. You mean the final they lost to Real Madrid 😂

I am not arguing the point, I don't care if it was Stranraer Reserves or Juventus they lost to, just stating a fact. I think it is the first time they have lost 4 successive away games in the CL and they have made life very hard for themselves now.

They have not exactly been in great form in the PL lately either have they? If I was a betting person I would have grabbed those odds.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, November 7, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 27
Drew away at Arsenal and Chelsea and at home to Man City. Other than that won every other league game. excrement male masturbators.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 7, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 28

I am not arguing the point, I don't care if it was Stranraer Reserves or Juventus they lost to, just stating a fact.

Well no, because Madrid wasn't an away game.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 7, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Gaffer58

Hmm, what do you think?

Fenty Out
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 7, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Hmm, what do you think?

Fenty Out

For the first time I've heard in a post-match interview, MJ talked about lower budgets and the strength that Mansfield had on the bench. Maybe there are cracks appearing.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 7, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 31
This analogy about addressing unacceptable performance sums up the team at present:
In companies outside football, sustained poor performance by staff is addressed by managers.  The aim is primarily to improve the individuals performance level to an acceptable level.  (As opposed to trying to get rid of them).

An increase in work performance often follows.  The big red flag is if an individuals performance then dips again.

The above analogy is exactly where we are now.  6 consecutive defeats, then 4 games without conceding,  then slipping back again against some poor teams to 3 consecutive defeats and poor performances.

We should be concerned or worried for our League position - even in Nov.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 7, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 32
This analogy about addressing unacceptable performance sums up the team at present:
In companies outside football, sustained poor performance by staff is addressed by managers.  The aim is primarily to improve the individuals performance level to an acceptable level.  (As opposed to trying to get rid of them).

An increase in work performance often follows.  The big red flag is if an individuals performance then dips again.

The above analogy is exactly where we are now.  6 consecutive defeats, then 4 games without conceding,  then slipping back again against some poor teams to 3 consecutive defeats and poor performances.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 7, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 33

Posted by: promotion plaice, November 7, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 34

I'm no tactical expert but maybe Jolley could give someone a call and try this so we don't lose many at home until the January window....

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/huge-traveller-camp-stadium-car-2190978
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:36pm