Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RichMariner, November 5, 2018, 2:06pm
This is our third season back in the Football League - 108 games plus a handful of cup games (that we've been entirely rubbish in).

There must have been at least one or two favourite moments in that time. Mine was Matt's injury-time winner v Notts County to confirm safety. I really didn't want our season to be decided at Forest Green of all places!

It's slim pickings but maybe I'm overlooking some obvious candidates...?

Winning 3-0 at Plymouth
Jamey Osborne's solo goal v Yeovil
Rose's winning penalty v Chesterfield

Any more?
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 5, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 1
The first game back in the league at home to Morecambe. BP was rocking, proper hairs on the back of the neck stuff as the players walked out the tunnel to the fish chant. Then Ben Davies’ class free kick sealed the win. There was a real feel good factor about Blundell Park that day. It feels a long way from that now.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 5, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 2

"Favourite moment since returning to the League"

Tough to think of one so probably Slade getting the sack.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 5, 2018, 2:26pm; Reply: 3
Absolutely the 3-0 at Plymouth. The ultimately false feeling of ‘we’ve got some cracking players and a forward thinking, innovative and charismatic manager, how far could we go?’ The was the peak since we were promoted, no doubt.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 5, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 4
Matts header against county to ensure we stayed up
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 5, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 5
Bogle's one man show at home to Stevenage. He was absolutely awesome that day. Sad to see what's happened to him since.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 5, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 6
It has to be coming out the tunnel at BP against Morecambe in 2016. It's been downhill ever since  :)

I tell myself the best is yet to come.....
Posted by: londonmariner2, November 5, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 7
First game back v Morecambe,
Swindon home game last year.
Omar's hat trick against Stevenage.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 5, 2018, 2:59pm; Reply: 8
That first day against Morecambe. Just for a while, it felt like the old days, back where we belong.  

The night match against Swindon was a great game, and the Matt header against County was as much relief as joy. Wish there was more to savour.
Posted by: ska face, November 5, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 9
Winning away at Luton under Hurst, downhill ever since.

Sure we had this thread not long back though.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 5, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 10
Bogle's hat trick and Hoopers hat trick.
Posted by: golfer, November 5, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 11
3 minutes past 2 last night-nobody was calling J.S.F. or Hooper, unless they were still doing it in their dreams.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, November 5, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 12
Slade getting the sack
Matts header against County
FIrst game back in the league, like jimgtfc said hairs sticking up on the back of neck moment
Posted by: Ipswin, November 5, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 13
Paul Hurst getting the sack at Ipswich
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 5, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 14
Matt's header - I genuinely thought we were going down again.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, November 5, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 15
Hurst leaving, Slade getting the sack and.............................................errrrrrrrrrrrr, nothing else of note.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, November 5, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 16
Matts header but another nice one was Chesterfield away first day of the season, sun was shining, crowd was up! town wiped the floor with them and I thought we were gonna win the league
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 5, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 17
Of games I’ve been to, Morecambe that first game back and the away win at Luton mentioned by ska.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 5, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 18
Away win at Luton for me.

Closely followed by Blackpool away, a good win and an absolutely cracking weekend 😉
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 5, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 19
Cambridge away in the first season. Won 1-0. A very tidy performance and the whole away end chanting Paul Hursts black and white army.

That left us well placed, we had already won at Luton and we looked to have a decent hardworking team fighting for one another and the manager. We were on a high really - just got back in the league, crowd happy, winning games - I was even contemplating giving Fenty the benefit of the doubt.

All was well till on the way back when I got a text from my son saying Hurst was on his way to...Shrewsbury. Of course I dismissed it but the rumours grew stronger and then he left a week or so later.

Fenty couldn't even get that right - the one time we looked like making a fist of it Hurst left quoting he would prefer to work with honest people. Make of that what you will.

I know Hurst had his detractors, and he used to get on my nerves sometimes, but contrast that day at Cambridge to what we have got today.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, November 6, 2018, 5:42am; Reply: 20
Erm well hang on ..

Erm what about err ..

Erm there was...

Erm when we err..

Oh when thingy err..

Will get back to you.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 6, 2018, 7:18am; Reply: 21
Vernon's volley from Disley's dinked through ball at Orient.
Posted by: lukeo, November 6, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner_09
Absolutely the 3-0 at Plymouth. The ultimately false feeling of ‘we’ve got some cracking players and a forward thinking, innovative and charismatic manager, how far could we go?’ The was the peak since we were promoted, no doubt.

This. It was breathtaking stuff we played that game and really made Plymouth look like a Sunday league side.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 6, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 23
I'm still waiting on my favourite moment.   I'm hoping it comes soon in the form of the non-chairman jacking it in and letting someone else have a go.

The 'memories' listed above are ok but when you consider the teams that they came against.....teams that we would be disappointed to be playing against until this regime took over (absolutely no disrespect intended because we're here on merit and nothing else).

An opening day win against Morecambe, a day of celebration that we're no longer a fifth-tier side.  Is that really the sum of your achievements, John?  
Posted by: bluerose13x, November 6, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 24
That dour, miserable, ear cupping, Yorkshire slum inhabiting scumbag of a manager leaving.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 12:28pm