Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, November 4, 2018, 9:56am
Have we ever had a number nine less likely to put the ball in the net than Hooper? I know he plays wide quite a lot now but he's had plenty of games up front too.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 4, 2018, 10:27am; Reply: 1
Damien Spencer
Posted by: Poojah, November 4, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 2
Michael Jeffrey. End of thread.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 4, 2018, 1:45pm; Reply: 3
I would say Paul Warhust but he put the ball in the net on his debut.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 4, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 4
Murray Jones?
Posted by: chaos33, November 4, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Poojah

Lol 😀
Posted by: chaos33, November 4, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 6
What's Louis Robles doing these days?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 4, 2018, 7:03pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33
What's Louis Robles doing these days?

He's progressed from bench warmer to being the bench itself
Posted by: lee65, November 4, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah

What was his nickname?, was it the “Kilmarnock flyer “?  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 4, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from lee65

What was his nickname?, was it the “Kilmarnock flyer “?  :)

Bungle
Posted by: chaos33, November 4, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 10
Jeffrey carried about as much goal threat as a fridge-freezer. Still, a tad more than we've got now, nonetheless.
Posted by: Poojah, November 4, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 11
As it happens, Wikipedia has him down as scoring twice in 47 appearances. I remember, strangely vividly, him scoring in a 3-1 defeat in the cup on a Tuesday night against Wycombe who were then two divisions below us.

Can anyone recall who the other one was against? I’m generally pretty good with pointless bits of trivia like this, but for the life of me I can’t.
Posted by: Tommy, November 4, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Poojah
As it happens, Wikipedia has him down as scoring twice in 47 appearances. I remember, strangely vividly, him scoring in a 3-1 defeat in the cup on a Tuesday night against Wycombe who were then two divisions below us.

Can anyone recall who the other one was against? I’m generally pretty good with pointless bits of trivia like this, but for the life of me I can’t.

First thing that comes to mind for me is a 2-2 draw at home to Crystal Palace. We were 2-0 up and ended up being pegged back. I reckon Jeffrey scored that night (think it was a night game).
Probably completely wrong.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 4, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Poojah

I think he scored in a defeat to Gillingham on a Tuesday night. The wiki total won't include that cup game though as they only ever seem to show league goals.

Edit: https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=3892

I was talking nonsense, he never scored against Gillingham. Tommy was spot on with that Palace game. The other league goal was v Portsmouth in the Prosinecki game.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, November 4, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 14
Fairly sure we were 2-0 down against Palace when Jeffrey pulled  one back. Either Donovan or Willems with a late equaliser
Posted by: Poojah, November 4, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 15
Some good work there chaps, it was indeed versus Pompey during our mini-run to the top of Division One:

http://www.espn.in/football/report?gameId=18440

Funny, as I remember clearly listening to that match over a dodgy dial-up connection in a Jamaican hotel but had absolutely no recollection of Jeffrey scoring that day.

Only a few days later we beat Barnsley on the same day as England smashed Germany 5-1 to go top of the league. Fleeting as it was, it’s amazing we did it at all with a front line of Jeffrey and Jonny Rowan.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 4, 2018, 11:34pm; Reply: 16
These are all the players I have down as having the No 9 shirt in the squad number era:

Lee Ashcroft
Michael Jeffrey
Michael Boulding
Paul Warhurst
Michael Reddy
Martin Butler
Adam Proudlock
Charles Ademeno
Damian Spencer
Anthony Elding
Andy Cook
Omar Bogle
J J Hooper
Posted by: Abdul19, November 5, 2018, 6:39am; Reply: 17
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Fairly sure we were 2-0 down against Palace when Jeffrey pulled  one back. Either Donovan or Willems with a late equaliser

Ah yes, Donovan scrambled in after Willems' free kick was saved.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 5, 2018, 7:04am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Poojah
Some good work there chaps, it was indeed versus Pompey during our mini-run to the top of Division One:

http://www.espn.in/football/report?gameId=18440

Funny, as I remember clearly listening to that match over a dodgy dial-up connection in a Jamaican hotel but had absolutely no recollection of Jeffrey scoring that day.

Only a few days later we beat Barnsley on the same day as England smashed Germany 5-1 to go top of the league. Fleeting as it was, it’s amazing we did it at all with a front line of Jeffrey and Jonny Rowan.

Thought Jeavans & Rogan were our front two at the start of that season but my memory is not what it was 😄
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 5, 2018, 7:11am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Thought Jeavans & Rogan were our front two at the start of that season but my memory is not what it was 😄

I thought it was Jevvo & Jonny too!
Posted by: Abdul19, November 5, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 20
Yeah, Jeffrey came on for Rowan in all 5 matches (the goal at Pompey coming in the same minute he came on).
Posted by: Tommy, November 5, 2018, 8:23am; Reply: 21
It was Jevons and Rowan starting games. Jeffrey was still here though and was coming off the bench. But then we signed Boulding a few weeks into the season and he soon took Jeffrey's 1st striker sub role. I presume Bradley Allen was injured at this early point in the season.
Posted by: Biccys, November 5, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 22
Martin Butler. Just typing that name gives me cold sweats.
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 5, 2018, 10:58am; Reply: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
These are all the players I have down as having the No 9 shirt in the squad number era:

Lee Ashcroft
Michael Jeffrey
Michael Boulding
Paul Warhurst
Michael Reddy
Martin Butler
Adam Proudlock
Charles Ademeno
Damian Spencer
Anthony Elding
Andy Cook
Omar Bogle
J J Hooper

Hmmm. Apart from the obvious exceptions here, it's not exactly a roll of honour is it?
Posted by: GrimRob, November 5, 2018, 11:46am; Reply: 24
Quoted from marinerdazza

Hmmm. Apart from the obvious exceptions here, it's not exactly a roll of honour is it?

Quite a few of them would walk into our current team though! Even Michael Jeffrey gets a lot of stick but he was a Championship player. He might be the best person on the pitch against L2 opposition!
Posted by: marinerdazza, November 5, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GrimRob

Quite a few of them would walk into our current team though! Even Michael Jeffrey gets a lot of stick but he was a Championship player. He might be the best person on the pitch against L2 opposition!

True...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 5, 2018, 1:48pm; Reply: 26
At the end of his spell with us he scored 1 in 6 on loan in league 2, which is pretty lethal.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, November 5, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Poojah

Portsmouth away can you believe it he actually scored against a strong Portsmouth side and it was a good finish also 🙈

Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 12:00am