Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 31, 2018, 8:00am
Seen this on a couple of news sites, sorry no link as my phone is ancient. ..

Seems a sensible idea and given we don't often get them in the administration of football, let's support and celebrate.

Logic being it will reduce time wasting
Posted by: GrimRob, October 31, 2018, 9:52am; Reply: 1
If they really want to reduce time wasting then measure time properly. All the proposed change will do is to result in substitutions just before FT. Like kicking the ball away has been replaced by carrying the ball away.
Posted by: Tommy, October 31, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 2
Ref's can, and should, add time on to the added time for subs made after the 90th minute anyway shouldn't they?

I don' think it's a rule that would affect time-wasting at all. As annoying and frustrating as it is when you're chasing an equaliser, I see late subs more as disrupting the flow/momentum of the game for 30 seconds rather than time-wasting. It's down to the Managers to manage their three substitutions and if they've got one left at that stage to use one for that, then I've got no complaints as long as the referee tries to limit it to 30 seconds max and then adds it on anyway.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 31, 2018, 11:12am; Reply: 3
We need independent time keepers
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 31, 2018, 11:49am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Paris Mariner
We need independent time keepers

We have them already, one is called the referee and the other says how much injury time there is.

The whole idea is just a fiddle with a problem. To fix it properly you would have to change the rules completely and have guaranteed on pitch playing time of (say) 60 minutes. But is that football? Or would it degenerate into American Football style plays over time? I don’t know the best answer but this one doesn’t seem like it.

Posted by: pontoonlew, October 31, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 5
And what if there’s 7 mins injury time and you have an injury in the first minute of it with a sub left? Just police it better, if somebody is walking off the pitch, book them and add another minute of injury time on top of the time that has already been wasted. There’s no deterrent at the minute because refs are too weak to punish it properly.

Saying all of that, our goalkeeper is the king of wasting time.
Posted by: mimma, October 31, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 6
Add a standard two minutes on for each substitution instead of the minimal 20 seconds presently used. That's what it actually takes to substitute a single player.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 31, 2018, 2:04pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma
Add a standard two minutes on for each substitution instead of the minimal 20 seconds presently used. That's what it actually takes to substitute a single player.

Great that's open to abuse the other way, I'd just put 3 subs on who'd run on straight away and hey presto we have 6 minutes injury time to score an equailiser.

All that needs to happen is figure out the actual playing time in a game (e.g. 80 minutes) and play that instead of 90. The ref indicates when the clock should stop. So the third official is the one that maintains the clock which ideally is visible for everyone to see, although might not be possible in the most tinpot of grounds.
Posted by: toontown, October 31, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 8
The studies i have seen show actual  playing time is more like 60 minutes than 80 if i remember correctly
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 31, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 9
In the Cardiff vs Burnley game a few weeks ago the ball was in play for 42 minutes. More than 8 mins were spent waiting for Sean Morrison to propel long throws into the Burnley box. Best league in the world etc etc
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 31, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 10
Which most definitely adds to that approach of having a set amount of time for the ball to be in play rather than the traditional 90 minutes.

I'm torn on this one.  There's a part of me that thinks that more than half of the 90 minutes been wasted is a farce.  It makes a mockery of the entertainment spectacle of the sport, not to mention totally taking the urine out of the paying fan.  But then the traditionalist in me thinks changing a core fundamental of the game would be too much, there's also that acceptance that time-wasting is (to a certain degree) part of the game.  Whilst it's frustrating as hell when the shoe is on the other foot, I think we've all probably produced a wry smile when James McKeown has taken an age with his goal kicks as we defend a one-goal lead.  Elliott Embleton managed to waste minutes when coming off last week against Colchester.  He's clearly perfected that art of running at a pace that's actually slower than a walk.
Posted by: lukeo, October 31, 2018, 6:49pm; Reply: 11
Leave It alone. Just be more active when someone is about to be subbed and miraculously finds themselves the furthest away from where they need to come off
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 31, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 12
I think how stoppage time is created needs rethinking.  42 minutes of football in a 90 minute match is disgraceful.

A figure needs deciding upon for how much time the ball should be active and in play. Each half should be 45 minutes and then stoppage time is calculated to ensure each half hits the minimum figure. If the figure is 70 minutes per match and the ball has only been in play 30 minutes for the first half then stoppage time is 5 minutes.
Posted by: mimma, October 31, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 13
Why can't we copy Rugby League?

When a player goes down injured the ref waves the trainer on and signals for the clock to stop. When play restarts the clock restarts. Same for substitutions. That way it doesn't matter one jot how long it takes because the clock isn't ticking.while players are play acting.

What's not to like?
Posted by: Cloudy, November 1, 2018, 6:46am; Reply: 14
Quoted from mimma
Why can't we copy Rugby League?

When a player goes down injured the ref waves the trainer on and signals for the clock to stop. When play restarts the clock restarts. Same for substitutions. That way it doesn't matter one jot how long it takes because the clock isn't ticking.while players are play acting.

What's not to like?

Our clock hasn’t worked for years!
Posted by: Townee82, November 1, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 15
It's only a bad thing if your the ones chasing the game , when the boots on the other foot it's great to see those drawn out substitutions .
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2018, 2:17pm; Reply: 16
Imagine if football was invented today. Do you seriously think they'd have 45 minutes "play" each way with stoppage time decided by someone without any visibility? There's enough leagues in the world to try out different ideas and pick whatever works best.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 1, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
Imagine if football was invented today. Do you seriously think they'd have 45 minutes "play" each way with stoppage time decided by someone without any visibility? There's enough leagues in the world to try out different ideas and pick whatever works best.

They could try it out on FIFA 20.

Posted by: mimma, November 1, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 18
Christ are you telling me that time wasting and gamesmanship have now got into games?

It really is getting bad when video games have it.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 2, 2018, 3:48pm; Reply: 19
Booking a player who is going off too slowly isn't enough as this will not affect the game, book the player who is coming on as well, which could have some effect. I am also fed up of when a player gets injured gets treatment then back onto the pitch 30 secs later to sit down 30 secs after that to give more time for a sub to get ready while the trainer spends 2 mins with them. If they were able to get back on the pitch they are able to get off it again so dont stop the game or allow the trainer on till sub is on the touchline waiting to come on and ball goes out of play.
Posted by: Abdul19, November 2, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Booking a player who is going off too slowly isn't enough as this will not affect the game,

It will if they've already been booked!
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:26am