Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, October 17, 2018, 11:25pm
Surely offside?

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/october/youtube-rewind-grimsby-town-vs.-exeter-city-/
Posted by: mimma, October 18, 2018, 12:58am; Reply: 1
If you look closely there's a defender wide barely on the screen who looks like he's playing him on.
Posted by: mirrorballman, October 18, 2018, 1:42am; Reply: 2
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

I remember that game and I'm pretty certain it was allowed.
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 18, 2018, 6:21am; Reply: 3
Quoted from The Grim Reaper

What!

How very dare you sir.

Next you’ll be claiming that the England ‘goal’ didn’t cross the line in the ‘66 Cup Final.

Go and wash your mouth out with soap young man!

UTFM
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 18, 2018, 7:18am; Reply: 4
It was definitely NOT offside. There was one defender who was shown to be playing him on when the ball was played.

However, I don't think that his 2nd goal would be allowed these days!
Posted by: TAGG, October 18, 2018, 7:57am; Reply: 5
This game shows just how good John was 👍🏻

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMMLnLoVcB8
Posted by: LondonMariner43, October 18, 2018, 8:13am; Reply: 6
Not sure why the goal early on was disallowed.  

Rees and Woods were really sublime when they were on form.  I wouldn’t rank either in our top 3 strikers but maybe our best pair of forwards?
Posted by: Maringer, October 18, 2018, 8:40am; Reply: 7
Oddly enough, I remember feeling a bit disappointed as I left the game (despite the promotion) because we had been pretty poor in the second half and rode our luck. I think Murray Jones did as much for Exeter in that game as he did during his whole time a BP!

Some great football on show, however. Look at the home record back then as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990%E2%80%9391_Football_League#Second_Division

16 wins out of 23 games. In comparison, we've only managed 16 home wins since our return to the League over 2 years ago!  ??)
Posted by: Ipswin, October 18, 2018, 8:47am; Reply: 8
How fantastic to see the high open corners packed compared to today's flat soulless empty spaces with just litter and tumbleweed blowing around
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 18, 2018, 9:28am; Reply: 9
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Rees and Woods were really sublime when they were on form.  I wouldn’t rank either in our top 3 strikers but maybe our best pair of forwards?

That's a really good shout.

Amond and Bogle will get mentions but whilst I think Amond taught Bogle an awful lot and the sheer amount of goals they scored was unreal, I don't think they were a a great pairing as such, not in the sense of Woods and Rees who seemed to have a telepathic understanding of where the other was.  Add to the mix Gary Childs who quite often used to tune into their frequency and benefit from their back-heels.

Rees especially was  found out at a higher level but it was a joy to watch them when on song.

Errr...Chris Jones and Adam Proudlock??
Posted by: Maringer, October 18, 2018, 10:21am; Reply: 10
The commentary also mentioned that Dave Gilbert scored 13 that season. Looking at the stats in the Grimsby Town Story, I see that he got 12 in the League, Tommy Watson scored 9 which was a surprise to me but Childs only scored 4 that year. Hargreaves got a few, mostly as a winger. With 7 goals from Cockerill and a couple from Cunnington, he fact that there were so goals from midfield just goes to show how fluid some of our play was back in those days.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 18, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 11
Here's a question then.

What unique event happened that season?

It had never happened before and hasn't happened since.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 18, 2018, 10:45am; Reply: 12
I don't think Buckley ever had a player for us who got 20 league goals in a season.  Donovan came close with 19 in the league.  Super Clive's best haul for us (I think also 19) was under Kenny Swain.  He definitely didn't buy into the idea of having a one-man wrecking crew.

Gilbert got a fair few from penalties and free-kicks if I remember right.  Both taken with the same technique of just leathering it really hard.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 18, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 13
Thinking about it, the first Town player I had witnessed score 20 or more in the league was Alan Connell!

Which means I've never seen a Town player score 20 or more in the Football League!
Posted by: Biccys, October 18, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here's a question then.

Was this the year that the records will show us having successive promotions to Div "1"? We'd gone up from 4 to 3 to 2, then the old div 2 turned into div 1 as the premier league started?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 18, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here's a question then.

3 clubs (GY, Southend and Cambridge) got their second successive promotion together.

Another unique event was that 3 clubs went up from the 3rd Division automatically with one via the playoffs (Tranmere IIRC).

Biccys, it was after another year that the Pram and rebranding of Div 2 into the 1st Div happened. We had one season in the 2nd before it became the '1st'.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 18, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here's a question then.

4 teams promoted from the third tier?

Edit: ah yeah, reckon KM is right with the Southend and Cambridge theory.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 18, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

3 clubs (GY, Southend and Cambridge) got their second successive promotion together.

Another unique event was that 3 clubs went up from the 3rd Division automatically with one via the playoffs (Tranmere IIRC).

Biccys, it was after another year that the Pram and rebranding of Div 2 into the 1st Div happened. We had one season in the 2nd before it became the '1st'.

Correct, 3 teams promoted the season before were all promoted again. The only team out of the 4 that came up from Division 4 the previous season that didn't get promoted again, was the previous seasons Champions Exeter City who finished mid-table.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 18, 2018, 1:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
Here's a question then.

My wife and I made love?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 18, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from arryarryarry

My wife and I made love?

With each other or by yourselves?  ;)
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 18, 2018, 1:50pm; Reply: 20
Cambridge had a bloody good go at going for the full sweep.  Think they ended up losing out in the play-offs whilst I think Southend where there or thereabouts for a bit.  

We had some great games that season, the one that really sticks out for me was when Blackburn came here, went 3-0 up early on and then we absolutely battered them to pull it back to 3-2 but just couldn't get the equaliser.  Bobby Mimms just seemed to claw back everything we threw at him that day.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 18, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from arryarryarry

My wife and I made love?

at least she has been pretty busy since though  :P
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 18, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Eh, don't knock it. At least masturbation is sex with someone you love.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 18, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from diehardmariner
Cambridge had a bloody good go at going for the full sweep.  Think they ended up losing out in the play-offs whilst I think Southend where there or thereabouts for a bit.  

Yeah I think they (Cambridge) were pushing for top spot around Christmas, but fell away a bit once sides worked out Beck's style (that's Steve Claridge's version, anyway). They got battered in the playoffs by Leicester.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 18, 2018, 11:27pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I can't remember (wheelchair)
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 4:46pm