Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, October 12, 2018, 10:42pm
I went in Iceland carpark in Grimsby yesterday and noticed they had cameras just as I entered. I didn't have any change on me and thought they would have a card option, I read the terms and conditions of parking I  there and says they can charge 60 quid if you you don't pay the tariff. I drove straight out literally from getting in the car park to leaving was less than 5 mins can they charge me or do they have to give you a grace period to read the terms on the board before deciding whenever to leave or not. thanks
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2018, 11:07pm; Reply: 1
I'd have thought that given you couldn't see the terms and conditions before you went in, including the terms of payment (cash only)* they can't charge you as you hadn't had an opportunity to understand the terms of their offer and to accept it.

* the specific facts of the case matter

So in the case of Iceland versus Isa-Mariner, in which the appellant pleads for non-payment of parking fees, the Civil Court of Kingston presided over by Mr Justice Nolegle-Trayning finds in favour of the defendant Mr Isa-Mariner.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 2
If Beckham can get off after admitting doing 49 in a 30,

Then you can mate no problem .
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 14, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 3
Firstly it is not a fine, private parking companies cannot fine anyone.

Secondly my understanding is that they have to give you a 10 minute grace period.

If you were unlucky enough to get a parking charge then head over to the MSE website where they have a specific forum that helps with these charges,
Posted by: LH, October 17, 2018, 12:18am; Reply: 4
Managed to overturn a parking ticket for parking on double yellows issued by NELC because:

- they’d issued it for Sackville Road, Immingham rather than Sackville Street, Grimsby.

- the car was actually parked in The Spinney.

- ‘penalty charge notice’ was spelt ‘peanlty charge notice’

I told them that I thought the ticket was someone having a laugh and no serious local authority would ever make these kind of amateurish mistakes.

I’m sure you’ll be fine (no pun intended).
Posted by: chaos33, October 17, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I'd have thought that given you couldn't see the terms and conditions before you went in, including the terms of payment (cash only)* they can't charge you as you hadn't had an opportunity to understand the terms of their offer and to accept it.

* the specific facts of the case matter

So in the case of Iceland versus Isa-Mariner, in which the appellant pleads for non-payment of parking fees, the Civil Court of Kingston presided over by Mr Justice Nolegle-Trayning finds in favour of the defendant Mr Isa-Mariner.

Frontier justice from a kangaroo court! :-D
Posted by: moosey_club, October 18, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from LH
Managed to overturn a parking ticket for parking on double yellows issued by NELC because:

- they’d issued it for Sackville Road, Immingham rather than Sackville Street, Grimsby.

- the car was actually parked in The Spinney.

- ‘penalty charge notice’ was spelt ‘peanlty charge notice’

I told them that I thought the ticket was someone having a laugh and no serious local authority would ever make these kind of amateurish mistakes.

I’m sure you’ll be fine (no pun intended).

My only case of a parking ticket issued by NELC had similar blunder filled feel....Top Town Market roof ....i worked for the council at the time and had a council issued car park pass giving me free parking entitlement......the traffic warden didnt see or didnt accept that it was valid so issued me a ticket.
I went to the ticket office which was coincidentally on the same rooftop...took my car park pass with me and asked for a reason why the ticket had been issued.  The only reason they would give was " not parked within the displayed terms and conditions" and i could appeal by letter if i wanted to.
Went outside...looked at the displayed "terms and conditions" which although badly faded on a Grimsby Borough Council liveried sign i felt i met the requirements.  The sign also stated these rules are available at the office , so i went to the office and asked for the rules as i couldn't fully make out the sign... and they couldn't produce the rules.  
All above points in a nice letter and suprise suprise ticket quashed.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 2:05pm