Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nutsy, October 9, 2018, 4:42pm
Who are our key players in the up turn of results last two games?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, October 9, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 1
I would pick 4 for me

Embeleton showing why hes so highly rated and I still think theres more to come there.
Vernam having what appears the freedom to roam around up front finding pockets of space.
RHJ return to the side meaning we have 2 decent wingbacks starting each week and not a CB out of position.
Thomas looking fit and understanding the system means he's finding space and getting better service.

Special mention for Hendrie who has had two man of match performances the last 2 weeks.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2018, 5:05pm; Reply: 2
Younger players playing with energy & tempo as MJ stated he would before the season started and players returning from injuries that stopped us having to put square pegs in round holes.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), October 9, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 3
Rose in center-mid, not pretty but breaks up play, strong and awkward. Clifford with his energy and commitment.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 9, 2018, 5:39pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from 140067
Rose in center-mid, not pretty but breaks up play, strong and awkward. Clifford with his energy and commitment.

Big red dogs are full of running.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 5
All of a sudden - there is a midfield - keep this together and good results will follow.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 9, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 6
The team that played Saturday is the strongest team. I'm not expecting miracles but if we can string some good results together and get to January in a comfortable position who knows?

Hopefully Embleton can ensure he doesn't impress too much, extend his loan and then truly shine second half of the season!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 7
Welcome Nutsy.

I think RHJ has made a huge difference, and also Clifton going back in the middle, where he looks more at home. He was superb there on Saturday, as he was in the Lincoln game. Don't know how he performed at Carlisle as i wasn't there but i presume he was effective. I think that is the only three times he has played centre mid and we have won 2 and drawn 1. Vernam has also made a difference and causes teams to back off with his direct running. Think it was a case of him getting back to full speed after his bad injury with Derby.

The biggest boost though has been Embleton. He scores goals and creates chances; is comfortable on either foot and moves us forward quicker. Him and Vernon can get behind and through defences, and we didn't have that in the losing run.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings
Welcome Nutsy.

I think RHJ has made a huge difference, and also Clifton going back in the middle, where he looks more at home. He was superb there on Saturday, as he was in the Lincoln game. Don't know how he performed at Carlisle as i wasn't there but i presume he was effective. I think that is the only three times he has played centre mid and we have won 2 and drawn 1. Vernam has also made a difference and causes teams to back off with his direct running. Think it was a case of him getting back to full speed after his bad injury with Derby.

The biggest boost though has been Embleton. He scores goals and creates chances; is comfortable on either foot and moves us forward quicker. Him and Vernon can get behind and through defences, and we didn't have that in the losing run.

I totally agree with you on the above, and I think you are streets ahead of the managerment thinking for this season (from previous stuff you have posted ).

Just frustrating for current incumbents to catch up!1

UTM

Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 9
I know I've got marked down for pointing out a 'typo' but the poster is right - just about every time - thousands of points in the bag.  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, October 9, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 10
Vernam, Vernam, Vernam. If i say it often enough, i'll get the hang of it eventually. Two not very common, but similar sounding surnames around at the same time.  :B
Posted by: joe56, October 9, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 11
Alex Whitmore has improved out of all recognition recently. He wins more or less everything in the air, and is by far our most serious threat at set pieces. Could turn out to be key player for the rest of the season.
Posted by: Teestogreen, October 9, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings
Vernam, Vernam, Vernam. If i say it often enough, i'll get the hang of it eventually. Two not very common, but similar sounding surnames around at the same time.  :B

Good effort - I stand by my thoughts about your posts. Usually spot on. imo

UTM

Posted by: Bignic69, October 9, 2018, 9:42pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from joe56
Alex Whitmore has improved out of all recognition recently. He wins more or less everything in the air, and is by far our most serious threat at set pieces. Could turn out to be key player for the rest of the season.

now playing centre half
Posted by: chaos33, October 9, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from joe56

And this is a classic example of the modern trend for utter over exaggeration.
Posted by: joe56, October 9, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from chaos33

🤗
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 10, 2018, 1:12pm; Reply: 16
I think it's a combination of many things, rather than just one or two.

RHJ has brought some much needed balance and pace to the right hand side of defence.  Equally so Hendrie looks to have stepped up a level as his match fitness has improved.  First few games I thought he looked way out of his depth but he has looked outstanding last few games.  Just proves what can happen once the ring rust is shaken off.  Having two natural full-backs makes a huge difference, when you think we were deploying Davis and Famewo, two centre-backs, in those positions it makes you realise just how imbalanced we were. Both Hendrie and RHJ can and want to get forward which makes a big difference, especially when we've not got any natural wingers in the side.  

In midfield the pairing of Rose and Clifton feels a better fit.  Individually I think Welsh and Hessenthaler are fine players but they're maybe better suited to a 3 rather than a 2, definitely in the case of Welsh.  There seems to be some suggestions on here that he's the root of all evil and a bad egg in the camp. I don't know about that but I do know that whilst he's very good at breaking play up and winning back possession, he also limits the shape of the team to one that ends up sitting deeper and deeper.  If we employ him in a 3-man midfield we end up with 5 across the middle and in a traditional 4-4-2 his midfield partner ends up isolated because Welsh wants to sit just in front of the defenders to shield them.  Hessenthaler on the other hand looks to lack a little bit of positional discipline, which is perhaps harsh as it's based on him trying to do everything from supporting the attack to helping out the full-backs.  I suspect that's more a result of not having developed an understanding more than anything else.

I don't think it's ideal with Hooper and Embleton on the wings.  Embleton is fine and I think he'll cause problems wherever he plays.  Hooper put in a second half display on Saturday that merits a start in most sides in this league, yet the issue is how often can he produce that.  There's clearly something there, not getting it out on a consistent basis is why he's playing for us and arguably in last chance saloon for a professional career.  It feels a bit forced and not really natural but we do seem to have a little bit of width with these two.  It's definitely a better fit than Woolford and Clifton which was, in all honesty, horrible for the majority of the time.

Up top the pace of Vernam is massive.  He isn't just quick but he's intelligent with his runs and is quickly building a pairing with Thomas.

We've also ditched so many long balls which just ended up coming straight back to us and putting more pressure on our defence.   We don't have a target man so to try and play as if we've got one was daft.  

Key things for me; pace, balance and keeping it on the floor.  

I'm not convinced it's completely by design.  Injuries to Welsh and Cook probably forced a re-think for Jolley but in all honesty I don't care.   Dropping Woolford was a surprise as I, along with many others, saw him as Jolleys' go-to player so credit where it's due there, him not in the team allows us to have more a more energetic front six in my opinion but I'm sure he's still got a big role to play for us.  
Posted by: sam gy, October 10, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 17
Does a fully match fit and settled Pringle make the team instead of JJ, as the left sided attacking player?
Posted by: Maringer, October 10, 2018, 5:16pm; Reply: 18
Hmmm. Probably not.

Pringle looks to have a great cross on him from the little I've seen, but Hooper adds height, size and reasonable aerial ability into the mix.

If we can really take a firm hold of midfield, we might be able to get away with a lack of a biggish bloke up front to offer a physical presence, but I'm not convinced we are quite good enough for this at the moment.

Who knows, Hooper might even find his shooting boots after scoring at the weekend?
Posted by: rancido, October 10, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think it's a combination of many things, rather than just one or two.

RHJ has brought some much needed balance and pace to the right hand side of defence.  Equally so Hendrie looks to have stepped up a level as his match fitness has improved.  First few games I thought he looked way out of his depth but he has looked outstanding last few games.  Just proves what can happen once the ring rust is shaken off.  Having two natural full-backs makes a huge difference, when you think we were deploying Davis and Famewo, two centre-backs, in those positions it makes you realise just how imbalanced we were. Both Hendrie and RHJ can and want to get forward which makes a big difference, especially when we've not got any natural wingers in the side.  

In midfield the pairing of Rose and Clifton feels a better fit.  Individually I think Welsh and Hessenthaler are fine players but they're maybe better suited to a 3 rather than a 2, definitely in the case of Welsh.  There seems to be some suggestions on here that he's the root of all evil and a bad egg in the camp. I don't know about that but I do know that whilst he's very good at breaking play up and winning back possession, he also limits the shape of the team to one that ends up sitting deeper and deeper.  If we employ him in a 3-man midfield we end up with 5 across the middle and in a traditional 4-4-2 his midfield partner ends up isolated because Welsh wants to sit just in front of the defenders to shield them.  Hessenthaler on the other hand looks to lack a little bit of positional discipline, which is perhaps harsh as it's based on him trying to do everything from supporting the attack to helping out the full-backs.  I suspect that's more a result of not having developed an understanding more than anything else.

I don't think it's ideal with Hooper and Embleton on the wings.  Embleton is fine and I think he'll cause problems wherever he plays.  Hooper put in a second half display on Saturday that merits a start in most sides in this league, yet the issue is how often can he produce that.  There's clearly something there, not getting it out on a consistent basis is why he's playing for us and arguably in last chance saloon for a professional career.  It feels a bit forced and not really natural but we do seem to have a little bit of width with these two.  It's definitely a better fit than Woolford and Clifton which was, in all honesty, horrible for the majority of the time.

Up top the pace of Vernam is massive.  He isn't just quick but he's intelligent with his runs and is quickly building a pairing with Thomas.

We've also ditched so many long balls which just ended up coming straight back to us and putting more pressure on our defence.   We don't have a target man so to try and play as if we've got one was daft.  

Key things for me; pace, balance and keeping it on the floor.  

I'm not convinced it's completely by design.  Injuries to Welsh and Cook probably forced a re-think for Jolley but in all honesty I don't care.   Dropping Woolford was a surprise as I, along with many others, saw him as Jolleys' go-to player so credit where it's due there, him not in the team allows us to have more a more energetic front six in my opinion but I'm sure he's still got a big role to play for us.  

I think you have highlighted several points about players which demonstrates we have several " strongest teams" depending on which format we choose to play. Up to now , this season, due to injuries and suspensions we have been forced to play some players in not their  "recognised " roles. Now we are over most of these problems MJ can pick " horses for courses " and also change things around during a game if he needs to.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 10, 2018, 11:40pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33

1 million percent agree.
Posted by: joe56, October 11, 2018, 1:41am; Reply: 21
Quoted from KingstonMariner

1 million percent agree.

Ha ha! Brilliant😉. I must admit that when I saw his comment on my post I thought it was a classic example of the modern trend for making self-refuting statements! You couldn’t make it up.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 11, 2018, 3:47am; Reply: 22
I would pick 4 for me

Embeleton showing why hes so highly rated and I still think theres more to come there.
Vernam having what appears the freedom to roam around up front finding pockets of space.
RHJ return to the side meaning we have 2 decent wingbacks starting each week and not a CB out of position.
Thomas looking fit and understanding the system means he's finding space and getting better service.

Special mention for Hendrie who has had two man of match performances the last 2 weeks.

Harry Clifton also enjoying this set up more. He links up well with Embers, Vernam and Rose it looks a good midfield.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 11, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Harry Clifton also enjoying this set up more. He links up well with Embers, Vernam and Rose it looks a good midfield.

I’d say the evidence of two games suggests it is a better midfield.

Two great, and very welcome results, but let’s not forget we still had limited possession, certainly less than 50/50.

Much improvement still needed and we shouldn’t get too stuck on a defeat = we played shite, or a win= we were really good
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 11, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 24
Saturday's team for me expect Hess in for Rose and maybe Fox in for Hendrie as a more natural LWB
Posted by: Croxton, October 11, 2018, 10:02am; Reply: 25
After Hendrie's last two games I'd say... If it ain't broke...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 11, 2018, 10:16am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Saturday's team for me expect Hess in for Rose and maybe Fox in for Hendrie as a more natural LWB

Which Saturday?
Posted by: Maringer, October 11, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 27
Hendrie played very well at left-back on Saturday - I commented to the chap next to me that he looked like the best footballing full-back I've seen playing for us for some time and he was very comfortable in possession as well as doing the defensive stuff. As Croxton said, if it ain't broke...
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 11, 2018, 10:37am; Reply: 28
Hendrie and Rose were two of our best players on Saturday, in my eyes.

Can't fathom why anyone would want to replace them.
Posted by: sam gy, October 11, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 29
Only seen Hendrie at Stevenage, where even though we were crap, he stood out. He was playing right back but at times was over the left side of the pitch making tackles and then darting back!
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:16am