Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 5, 2018, 3:32pm
Will Embleton still be available for Mansfield away next Saturday - October 13th . . . (Confused)
Quoted from Grimsby Town Football Club
Loanee midfielder, Elliot Embleton has been named in the England U20 squad to face Italy and the Czech Republic.

England will face Italy on 11th October at AFC Fylde, and Elliot and his England team-mates will travel to Dynamo Ceske to face the Czech Republic on October 15th.
Link >> https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/october/embleton-gets-england-call/
Posted by: conocoloco, October 5, 2018, 3:48pm; Reply: 1
I'd assume not...

Also Mansfield postponed their match last month due to 3/4 call ups. Not sure how far in advanced that decision was made.
Posted by: Mikoo, October 5, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Will Embleton still be available for Mansfield away next Saturday - October 13th . . . (Confused)Link >> https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/october/embleton-gets-england-call/

What a stupid question, unless he can be in two places at once of course he can't
Posted by: golfer, October 5, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 3
He's a Grimsby town player-they're never where they are supposed to be
Posted by: Rik e B, October 5, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 4
^He's a Sunderland player.  ;)

Good for him, not so good for us in this immediate term.
Posted by: Posh Harry, October 5, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from conocoloco
I'd assume not...

Also Mansfield postponed their match last month due to 3/4 call ups. Not sure how far in advanced that decision was made.

Was that against Yeovil? If so I think it was Yeovil who had the call ups? Could be wrong, often am 😊
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 5, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 6
Good job we're not hard up, paying a wage for someone unable to play, surely there should be some compo, we're not a premier club.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 5, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mikoo
What a stupid question, unless he can be in two places at once of course he can't
I assume the England U20s will still be in England on the Saturday, they don't play in the Czech Republic until Monday.  I guess the training camp will include the Saturday. I've seen it in the past where players have been able to play for their club, mind you two days . . .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 5, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 8
Well done Elliot!
Posted by: conocoloco, October 5, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Posh Harry

Was that against Yeovil? If so I think it was Yeovil who had the call ups? Could be wrong, often am 😊

Without double checking you could well be right. I certainly remember it effecting both sides.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 5, 2018, 10:39pm; Reply: 10
Yeah, good work EE
Posted by: golfer, October 6, 2018, 8:47am; Reply: 11
Never seen England scouts at any of our matches since Vernon left.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, October 11, 2018, 11:49pm; Reply: 12
Embleton played the full 90 minutes; England U20 2–1 Italy U20

All the other players in the England U21 team are either with Premiership or Championship clubs lol. (ohmy)

Easah Suliman played as well, currently on loan at newly play-off promoted side FC Emmen in the Dutch top league, looks like a club punching well above their weight, not as big as Grimsby Town.

England: 1 Aaron Ramsdale (AFC Bournemouth), 2 Reece James (Wigan Athletic, on loan from Chelsea), 3 Tom Pearce (Leeds United), 4 Sam Field (West Bromwich Albion), 5 Easah Suliman (Emmen, on loan from Aston Villa), 6 Lloyd Kelly (capt; Bristol City) (C), 7 Eberechi Eze (Queens Park Rangers), 8 Marcus Tavernier (Middlesbrough), 9 Edward Nketiah (Arsenal), 10 Joe Willock (Arsenal), 11 Elliot Embleton (Grimsby Town, on loan from Sunderland).

Substitutes: 16 Ronaldo Vieira for Willock 62, 12 Kyle Edwards for Eze 84, 14 George Hurst for Nketiah 90.

Read full details here: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/oct/11/england-u20s-italy-report-111018
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2018, 12:14am; Reply: 13
That's some achievement for someone at our level. The whole game too. Obviously a talented player. Jolley must have a good eye and some nouse himself to get him here.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 12, 2018, 12:21am; Reply: 14
Ronaldo Vieira is a superb name.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2018, 12:28am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

Think his parents must have been watching the World Cup final in 1998 to come up with that name. Born July 98 too, so date could fit.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 12, 2018, 12:34am; Reply: 16
Ah, pretty much right. According to Wiki, him and his twin brother (Romario!) were named after Brazilian footballers....Wilf Ronaldo and Arnold Romario of FC Orinoco Stanley  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, October 12, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 17
;D
Posted by: Davec, October 12, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 18
He played for England Under 20s, not the under 21s
Posted by: LH, October 12, 2018, 8:39am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19

Sounds like a regen.
Posted by: Maringer, October 12, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Ah, pretty much right. According to Wiki, him and his twin brother (Romario!) were named after Brazilian footballers...

So we know his parents are idiots, but I wonder what sort of a player he is? Would be very multi-cultural to have somebody with that name playing for the senior England team!

Anyway, well done to Embleton. Wasn't sure about him initially. Scored a good goal against Morecambe the other week but later lost possession needlessly which led to their equaliser and then disappeared from the game. However, he did really well against Port Vale and really applied himself in addition to keeping the ball moving around well.

Hopefully this will continue for the rest of his loan period!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 12, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from golfer
Never seen England scouts at any of our matches since Vernon left.

There was a load of kids doing their duke of Edinburgh bronze award at the Fgr game
Posted by: golfer, October 13, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 22
Should have played last night instead of that shower of shite
Posted by: wigworld, October 13, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

There was a load of kids doing their duke of Edinburgh bronze award at the Fgr game

Character building.

(I mean the Duke of Edinburgh award, not attending a FGR game).
Posted by: rancido, October 15, 2018, 3:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from golfer
Should have played last night instead of that shower of shite

I don't necessarily agree that they were a " shower of shite " but I don't think you will ever see an England team achieve anything - the Premiersh*t has put paid to that. When only 30% of Premiershit first team choices are English then we will always struggle to put together a World  class team.
Posted by: pen penfras, October 17, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from rancido

I don't necessarily agree that they were a " shower of shite " but I don't think you will ever see an England team achieve anything - the Premiersh*t has put paid to that. When only 30% of Premiershit first team choices are English then we will always struggle to put together a World  class team.

I don't think it's just because of the premiership and only 30% of the players being English. Real Madrid and Barcelona have as much money to spend on foreigners, and do, as any of the premier league clubs, but they somehow manage to keep a steady stream of Spanish players that are at the top of the game.

Maybe it's a problem with opportunities. They often sell a player with a buy back clause, put them in the B team or loan them out abroad. B teams aren't an option and the other two things don't seem to happen often with English players.

I also think we've been slow to cotton on that technical ability is as important as being athletic. The way the Dutch and Spanish teams coach the players from a young age seems to give them so much more talent on the ball than our players have. I think we're catching up, but still not there. Only really Dario Gradi ever bought into that system in England.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 17, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 26
The way the Dutch coach ? Yeah they’ve been really successful recently haven’t they ?
Posted by: chaos33, October 17, 2018, 10:13pm; Reply: 27
And Spain had a really good World Cup
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 17, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The way the Dutch coach ? Yeah they’ve been really successful recently haven’t they ?

They've out-punched their weight for 45 years. You wouldn't expect a country with their population to do so well. I'd say they've done better than England relative to their population.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 17, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33
And Spain had a really good World Cup

A relative blip in a longish sequence of doing well though.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 18, 2018, 6:46am; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

A relative blip in a longish sequence of doing well though.

Their longest run was being the great underachievers throughout the 1900’s, the ‘blip’ was 2000-2012 ish
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 18, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Cloudy

Their longest run was being the great underachievers throughout the 1900’s, the ‘blip’ was 2000-2012 ish

Well I suppose you're correct in the bigger big picture. But you know what I mean. Their record is better than ours.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:03am