Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, September 29, 2018, 6:11pm
Even if he’s 25% fit. Play him
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 29, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 1
All our players look 25% fit
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 29, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
All our players look 25% fit

That is what has shocked me the most. They are just not fit! I thought we had new fitness coaches with more than a stopwatch and a whistle?

Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2018, 6:39pm; Reply: 3
He certainly put a few really good crosses in today. Didn't look the strongest on the ball or exactly up for the fight but the same can be said for most of the others and they don't have the crossing ability!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 29, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 4
Priingle made a difference today - although not difficult to do.  He had some invention and put some good balls in.
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 5
Crosses and set pieces win and lose games. The vast majority of goals are scored in these ways, and yet we have a top qualified coach who plays, week after week with no width, keeps losing and just carries on doing the same. We didn't even sign any wide, attacking players before Pringle. I just don't get it anymore, I really don't.
Posted by: davmariner, September 29, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Crosses and set pieces win and lose games.

This x1million.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 29, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33
Crosses and set pieces win and lose games. The vast majority of goals are scored in these ways, and yet we have a top qualified coach who plays, week after week with no width, keeps losing and just carries on doing the same. We didn't even sign any wide, attacking players before Pringle. I just don't get it anymore, I really don't.

That's the Cowleys philosophy in a nutshell. If you throw the ball into the box often enough, the chances of scoring rise exponentially.
Posted by: denni266, September 29, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 8
I dont think he knows what he is doing and the players have picked up on it quick , but are in the position that they have to do as told, even if that means strolling through the motions. Text book managers are so weak in any profession// I remember working up to management level and had respect as i could do the job ..But when fresh faced uni / collage came in below us we knew what a run around they was giong to get  by the work force, They had never done the job so to speak and got put to the sword by the workers who could just run rings round them and they could not  even see it
Posted by: Pontooner, September 29, 2018, 8:03pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from chaos33

Totally agree. As much as it's nice to see short passing football, at this level it's more about getting the ball in the box and we only did that when Pringle came on.  
Posted by: chaos33, September 29, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 10
I think it's only partly about him. Selections and tactics I think he's getting wrong, but why is it that,whoever manages us, whoever plays for us, we are just not able to compete now we're back in the league? It's systemic if you ask me. I think we are structurally rotten and the total lack of investment in the squad shows, just like it did last season. But then, you look and see that we've got extra coaching staff, plus fitness professionals and we look more disorganised and less fit than ever!
I find it hard to comprehend how GTFC can be so top to bottom dogsh1te week after week, month after month.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 29, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

That's the Cowleys philosophy in a nutshell. If you throw the ball into the box often enough, the chances of scoring rise exponentially.

Without sounding obsessed with our neighbours he said last season that his team average a goal every 26 crosses so he demands a minimum of 30 crosses per game. Have we even managed 30 crosses from open play all season?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 29, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from ginnywings

Even better if players take the ball into the box with it at their feet like Embelton did today, we don't do it but the one time we did look what happened today we scored.  
Posted by: ginnywings, September 29, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Even better if players take the ball into the box with it at their feet like Embelton did today, we don't do it but the one time we did look what happened today we scored.  

He also set up Thomas to hit the bar by driving at the defence. Don't worry though, we will soon knock those shenanigans out of his game.
Posted by: davmariner, September 29, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings

He also set up Thomas to hit the bar by driving at the defence. Don't worry though, we will soon knock those shenanigans out of his game.

Jolley will find somewhere to play him that isn’t his position. How about right back?
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2018, 11:39pm; Reply: 15
Embleton took his goal well and had a few other good touches but was a bit anonymous other than that. In fact, he was culpable for their first goal a fair amount. Needlessly lost possession by dwelling on the ball in midfield as we were on a break so Oates was left with a free run at goal with just one man to beat.

You'd hope he'll be a bit better at retaining possession in the future though we may of course be dragging him down to our level!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 30, 2018, 12:00am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer
Embleton took his goal well and had a few other good touches but was a bit anonymous other than that. In fact, he was culpable for their first goal a fair amount. Needlessly lost possession by dwelling on the ball in midfield as we were on a break so Oates was left with a free run at goal with just one man to beat.

You'd hope he'll be a bit better at retaining possession in the future though we may of course be dragging him down to our level!

The England International is only 19 or so, clearly today's debacle was his fault??? I get what you mean though and would add that it's a shame that the mute professional footballers some call senior pros should be talking to him through the game and not looking after themselves.  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 30, 2018, 12:13am; Reply: 17
I think that we try and avoid putting any crosses into the box.  There is little evidence to the contrary.  Sad really.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 30, 2018, 12:32am; Reply: 18
Only trouble with the idea of scoring from crosses is that a) we have no wingers to cross the ball and b) even if Pringles does manage to get some superb balls in like he did today there's nobody who could profit from it anyway

Apart from that it's a great idea. (And actually I don't disagree with you)
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 11:32pm