Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 22, 2018, 1:07am
All this nostalgia brought back memories of a couple of characters from when I first started watching town.
The first was a bloke who used to stagger at the front of the Pontoon doing Norman Wisdom impressions before the game.
The other was an old guy in the Cons Corner who had a gallon of beer strung round his shoulder under a big coat. He used to barrack the players by use of a sled made megaphone fashioned out of a polystyrene cup. Sort of miss the likes of these nowadays.
Am I going daft or can anyone else remember them?
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 22, 2018, 1:20am; Reply: 1

Not the ones your thinking of but thinking of characters..........Beaver....think he got chucked out of the Old Show Ground while I was there one game.......I went to school with him and I spoke to him a few weeks ago before a Town game in that bar next to the bank on the high street......he's mellowed now..... :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 22, 2018, 3:56am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
All this nostalgia brought back memories of a couple of characters from when I first started watching town.
The first was a bloke who used to stagger at the front of the Pontoon doing Norman Wisdom impressions before the game.
The other was an old guy in the Cons Corner who had a gallon of beer strung round his shoulder under a big coat. He used to barrack the players by use of a sled made megaphone fashioned out of a polystyrene cup. Sort of miss the likes of these nowadays.
Am I going daft or can anyone else remember them?

Remember the guy with the megaphone lol.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 22, 2018, 4:18am; Reply: 3
Was it Bonzo, the leader of the skinheads, did he become a councillor?
Posted by: pizzzza, September 22, 2018, 6:42am; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

.........Beaver....think he got chucked out of the Old Show Ground while I was there one game.......

Maybe he'd been acting like a twit?
Posted by: Mallyner, September 22, 2018, 7:24am; Reply: 5
I was at the Old Show Ground in roughly 1969 and there was a drunk there who always shouted ' Up the Ma. rin nerz'  I think it was the same guy who sold the ' Evening Tele Growf.' We won 2 -1 from memory and he missed both goals through going for a pee. We were in a side stand but I remember Scunthorpe hooligans throwing some glass bottles at the underside of the roof of the end stand, which burst over our supporters.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 22, 2018, 8:58am; Reply: 6
I remember the Norman Wisdom bloke well and who remembers the bloke in The Pontoon, who when it was fairly quiet would scream at the top of his voice "Gerrin to em, get f**king into em"
Posted by: Ipswin, September 22, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 7
The old boy who used to stand against the fence in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barratt.

He used to abuse the Town Chairman FA Would constantly. I can still hear him, 'Can you hear me Wouldy'

Either he was a disgruntled ex employee of F A Would the builders or like today it was normal to have a go at the chairman

I remember he collapsed and died at a match in the spot where he stood all those years

'Can you hear me Fenty!'
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 22, 2018, 11:08am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Ipswin
The old boy who used to stand against the fence in the open corner between the Osmond and the Barratt.

He used to abuse the Town Chairman FA Would constantly. I can still hear him, 'Can you hear me Wouldy'

Either he was a disgruntled ex employee of F A Would the builders or like today it was normal to have a go at the chairman

I remember he collapsed and died at a match in the spot where he stood all those years

'Can you hear me Fenty!'

I remember him Swin, one game when he balanced his bottle of plonk on the fence at the side of the goal Ron Cockerill just missed it with one of his cannonball shots. Biggest cheer of the day when he moved very quickly to get his bottle.

No bars in those days so he always brought his own.
Posted by: mimma, September 22, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from arryarryarry
Was it Bonzo, the leader of the skinheads, did he become a councillor?

You are correct. His name is Pete Burgess. He use to have a chiropractors bussiness which he ran from that little building outside Blundell Park which use to be a public toilet.
Posted by: chelseacity, September 22, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 10
I remember 2 characters, in around 1966 to 1969 the lad that used to start the singing, i think his name was Pedro or something like that ?
Also i remember around the same time a chap who's face was not like it should have been, one eye lower than the other & his chin/face was lobbed sided, he was not very tall, everyone would stare at him, i have a feeling it might have been a wartime injury, i also remember the bloke who used to shout really loud, a big fella that nobody wanted to argue with, his face was reddish, maybe a few to many beers before the game, he shouted at all the players on the pitch, a bit of a running commentary of abuse.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 22, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 11
I remember that guy.
I think it was possibly the result of a stroke or maybe bells palsy
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 22, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 12
I remember that guy.
I think it was possibly the result of a stroke or maybe bells palsy

I remember him too and some one who knew him told me he was born like that,

He had the opportunity of a operation in middle age but declined the offer.
Posted by: pkscouse, September 22, 2018, 2:22pm; Reply: 13
Two stories I remember being told about Bonzo although my memory could be playing tricks …..
1 we were at home to wigan in a cup game and they were still non league , they bought loads and some idiot ran on the pitch before kick off showing off  only for Bonzo to run out the pontoon to chase him off to great cheers
2 away to Lincoln , bonzo ran in to their skins and no one backed him and he got a kicking plus alledgedly a screwdriver up his jacksie
urban myths or true stories !?
Posted by: mimma, September 22, 2018, 2:48pm; Reply: 14
Both stories are true. That Lincoln game he allegedly stood on the roof of the train travelling through Lincoln.

Talk of characters on here wouldn't be complete without mentioning Mad Miff. He was just somthing else when talking about nutters. He was the yardstick to measure how mad Town fans were in them days.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 22, 2018, 2:58pm; Reply: 15
I did not know Bonzo, but remember him at Lincoln when his ear was bleeding.  Cut by a razor by one of the Clan members.  Again late 1960s.

There was the bloke in the Pontoon who shouted out “Harry, Harry, Harry” to Harry Wainman.   A user on here has this as a user name so possibly as a tribute?
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 22, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 16
As a little one in shorts in the late sixties/early seventies someone in the Pontoon would start up with "give us a G" with everyone shouting G, followed by RIMSBY, was told that only a certain few were allowed to lead this cheer.
Posted by: Perkins, September 22, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete

I remember him too and some one who knew him told me he was born like that,

He had the opportunity of a operation in middle age but declined the offer.

His name was Derek Egglestone, he lived at North Coates, and was unfortunately was born like that. His father worked for a local farmer and he (the farmer) offered to pay for an operation when Derek was a child but was declined by his dad because of the risky nature of the operation.
He died a number of years ago but was a true Town fan and a thoroughly nice bloke.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 9:37pm