Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 14, 2018, 5:02pm
Mariners legend Shaun Cunnington will be at BP on Saturday. Should get a great reception,

Still in my all-time GTFC XI.

What we wouldn't give for a midfield of Cockers and Cunnington today.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/shaun-cunnington-guest-of-honour-for-oldham-athletic-game/
Posted by: RoboCod, September 14, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 1
Bringing his boots???  :)

Great player from that great era.
Posted by: rancido, September 14, 2018, 5:39pm; Reply: 2
Great player and such a hard tackler. Unfortunately the way the game is refereed now he would probably pick up 4 or 5 red cards a season.
Posted by: somersetmariner, September 14, 2018, 5:50pm; Reply: 3
My first Grimsby legend.....aged 15. Great player and captain
Posted by: Maringer, September 14, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 4
Our best sliding-tackler ever, surely.
Posted by: livosnose, September 14, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 5
Class act plus he had what can only be described as shredded wheat hair...........
Posted by: gytone, September 14, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 6
Absolute quality, wish he was still playing with us. If only we had someone half as good as him now.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, September 14, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 7
Wonderful player from a great era to be watching the Mariners. Cunnington and Cockerill are surely one of the greatest midfield pairings to grace the turf at BP.

I hope he gets a great reception. How we could do with players like him now.

UTM.
Posted by: wigworld, September 14, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido
Great player and such a hard tackler. Unfortunately the way the game is refereed now he would probably pick up 4 or 5 red cards a season game.

Posted by: chaos33, September 14, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 9
Legend
Posted by: samg, September 14, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 10
Cockers,Cunnington,Gilbert,Watson ,Rees,Lever,Alexander - have I woken up yet - if only Carlsberg did dreams - my marriage would surely be over!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin
Mariners legend Shaun Cunnington will be at BP on Saturday. Should get a great reception,

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/shaun-cunnington-guest-of-honour-for-oldham-athletic-game/

Thank ***k for that! I genuinely feared you were going to announce his death.

Cracking player. Him and Cockers have only been bettered as central midfielders since then by Groves and maybe Jim Dobbin IMO.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 14, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 12
If only there was var for that Bolton game
Posted by: moosey_club, September 15, 2018, 12:28am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

On his own he would pretty much outshine the midfields of the last 15 years. Honest, committed, hard working and lets face it...pretty much hard as fck.
To have one player like that in a generation is a privelege...to have two in the same team is remarkable. The Cockers/Cunnington combo were a wrecking crew, never shirked a challenge, never seemed to run out of steam, would run through brick walls....Sean to me was the classier of the two and a steal when we sold him for 600k (?) transfer fee.
Flashbacks to VHS highlights and "Chance on" are running through my mind (thx)
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 15, 2018, 6:11am; Reply: 14
Who would you pick out of Groves, Cunnington, Waters and Disley?

In fact if you didn’t have wingers, imagine that as a midfield...
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 15, 2018, 6:40am; Reply: 15
Cried the day he was sold.
What a player. Simply don't make them like that anymore.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 15, 2018, 8:39am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Cunnington and Waters are the 2 centre-mids in my all time Town XI.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 15, 2018, 10:08am; Reply: 17
Cunnington was a solid player who gave 100%, he would run through brick walls, build them up and then run through them again, Legend. We definitely got a bargain when we got him from Wrexham who we smashed at BP to go up from old money league 4.
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 15, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Who would you pick? Blimey, would be easier picking your favourite child!

If pushed, although Diz is a club legend for all the right reasons, he doesn’t come close in my opinion to the other 3 as a footballer. When I got chance to watch Town a lot more than I do now was with cockers and Cunnington in the centre so for me Cunnington is always gonna be first in that centre. 100% every game, hard as nails. The choice between waters and groves is a really tough one as his partner. Just purely for his number of goals I would go for grovsie.

Saying that, any of those 4 in their pomp would be an easy first choice right now.

UTFM
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 15, 2018, 10:33am; Reply: 19
Shaun's overhead kicks were a thing of beauty as well.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, September 15, 2018, 10:54am; Reply: 20
It's hard to think of the best game I saw him play in. Exeter when we got promoted, Sunderland away (my mate still says it's one of the best performances he saw from a visiting player) and so many more.

In today's market, he'd be a minimum £10m player
Posted by: dicko995, September 15, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 21
Shaun always reminded me of Bobby Ross, except Bobby always ran out of the tunnel with a cigarette in his hand,and smoked it during the warm up, super memories,and showing my age :)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 15, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 22
Wonder if they'll do a quick interview/chat with him on the pitch before the game at half-time.  When players have come back before they tend to just walk out onto the pitch a little bit and wave and from a distance really could be any old bloke!
Posted by: Maringer, September 15, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 23
You could tell it was Steve Sherwood the other week from the way he was trying to dribble around the centre circle just like one of his old walkabout moments.
Posted by: Mariner E14, September 15, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 24
Groves may not have been the strongest in the midfield, but he was certainly the most cultured.  👍
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 17, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 25
Was having a very similar conversation with my old man at the game on Saturday, who would you put in there?

In terms of technical ability the pairing that ultimately replaced Cunnington/Cockerill (Groves/Dobbin) was probably far better technically and was comfortable at a higher level. Unfortunately we saw only a handful of games from Cockers in the second tier and a single season from Cunnington before he was sold, just as he looked to have kicked onto a new level too.

The beauty of Cunnington/Cockerill was they both had a bit of everything about them. Plus in a side that was so pure and skillful in everything it did, they were proper hard fornicators.

Talking purely on partnerships, I've seen nothing that comes close to Cunnington/Cockerill.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 12:45am