Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 11, 2018, 1:33pm
May not be involved with the reserve game today then I send my apologies but surely fish and chips outside the seaway is not good preparation for a match
Posted by: Hagrid, September 11, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from crusty ole pie
May not be involved with the reserve game today then I send my apologies but surely fish and chips outside the seaway is not good preparation for a match

agreed, should be at ernie becketts
Posted by: mirrorballman, September 11, 2018, 1:42pm; Reply: 2
What a pathetic post. In the current theme, I suppose. Players on a day off bashed for eating chips, Harry Clifton bashed for being local, Jolley bashed because we haven't won the league yet. What a flipping cesspit this place becomes when we lose a few games.
Posted by: mimma, September 11, 2018, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
Town youth teams are unbeaten this season.

Maybe it's down to haddock (not cod) and chips!
Posted by: denni266, September 11, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 4
Dont think fish n chips will hurt if only once in a while .. its the 4 pints before that buggers things up.. unless you are a certain left back ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 11, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 5
Was the chips  cheesey  ?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 11, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 6
Disgusting behaviour! The Seaway?

They have a lot to learn.  :)
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 11, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
Was the chips  cheesey  ?

Dunno, binoculars aren't getting me close enough. Let me bring them up on camera 3 and I'll zoom in.
Posted by: Maringer, September 11, 2018, 2:05pm; Reply: 8
Chips? One of your 5 a day. Mushy peas or beans would be another. That's almost half way to a nutritious diet from one meal alone.

My Mum always used to do me a fry up before I played games. On the down side, I often got crippling indigestion but the up side was a higher top speed thanks to the beans.
Posted by: Father Christmas, September 11, 2018, 2:25pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer
Chips? One of your 5 a day. Mushy peas or beans would be another. That's almost half way to a nutritious diet from one meal alone.

My Mum always used to do me a fry up before I played games. On the down side, I often got crippling indigestion but the up side was a higher top speed thanks to the beans.

Fish, chips & beans?
Posted by: Maringer, September 11, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 10
Yep, that's a thing. It's why chippies sell beans as well as peas.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 11, 2018, 2:34pm; Reply: 11

these young players need guidance from some experienced, responsible old hands

they'd soon be told that seaways is not the place for fish n chips
Posted by: ginnywings, September 11, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 12
Fish chips and beans is just wrong. Egg chips and beans, then yeah.

Don't get me started on gravy or curry sauce with fish.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 11, 2018, 2:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mirrorballman
What a pathetic post. In the current theme, I suppose. Players on a day off bashed for eating chips, Harry Clifton bashed for being local, Jolley bashed because we haven't won the league yet. What a flipping cesspit this place becomes when we lose a few games.

Never bashed jolly never blasted Clifton but the players where not on a day off they where all in training kit just my thought that with all the nutritional education for players that a fish and chip dinner is not the correct preparation for a reserve game as I said they may have not been involved in the afternoon match than in that case I send my apologies and I hope they enjoyed their fish and chips
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 11, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 14

Never bashed jolly never blasted Clifton but the players where not on a day off they where all in training kit just my thought that with all the nutritional education for players that a fish and chip dinner is not the correct preparation for a reserve game as I said they may have not been involved in the afternoon match than in that case I send my apologies and I hope they enjoyed their fish and chips

From The Seaway? That'll be a first.  :)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 11, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

Don't get me started on gravy or curry sauce with fish.

I'm sure there was a recent visitor to GTFC who blogged her day out and decided she wanted gravy with her fish and chips at Steels.

ahhh found it https://blackpooljane.wordpress.com/2018/04/22/a-storm-in-a-gravy-boat/

edit: CTFC not GTFC
Posted by: forza ivano, September 11, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 16
chips n gravy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :P
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Les Brechin

From The Seaway? That'll be a first.  :)

They serviced most of the early 90's late night scene heroically .....awe ...Seaway at 02:30 was an event in itself ... rest in peace all those now departed.
Posted by: Tommy, September 11, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 18
I really doubt this was the youth team.

More likely the futsal scholar/BTEC lads.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, September 11, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

They serviced most of the early 90's late night scene heroically .....awe ...Seaway at 02:30 was an event in itself ... rest in peace all those now departed.

That brought back memories reading your post Moosey, I’d have been one of the party goers in the Seaway in them days, Deans nightclub straight to the Seaway   8)
Posted by: Mallyner, September 11, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from forza ivano

these young players need guidance from some experienced, responsible old hands they'd soon be told that seaways is not the place for fish n chips

Thank you for not being tempted to spell place another way.  :)
Posted by: rancido, September 11, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from forza ivano
chips n gravy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :P

The Macc Lads !
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from cmackenzie4

That brought back memories reading your post Moosey, I’d have been one of the party goers in the Seaway in them days, Deans nightclub straight to the Seaway   8)

i am sure every generation thinks it had the best of times but mid late 80's- Early 90's Meggies was buzzing and i just dont see it the same now...queuing for the pubs common place, outside at Waves, pints of blastaway , then queuing for the Pier/Deans/Flam/ and laterly Customs...everyone back on the streets at 0200 when the clubs shut...Seaway or the pizza places in the market place for grub....and that was on Wed (bags and later the disco inferno nights) /Thur/Fri/Sat nights and then Sunday afternoons in the Vic were pretty special too.
Speciality nights for the emerging House scene upstairs at Willy's and up McCartney's as well IIRC.

Sandwiched in the middle of that one of Englands greatest World Cup's , Italia 90....Logan's anyone ??  

Good times.

Oh fck sound like my parents ....."not like it was in my day" .... haha.
Posted by: pkscouse, September 11, 2018, 8:42pm; Reply: 23
never been in the seaway since they were serving me and dropped the fish on the floor but carried on - when i said i dont want that as its been on the floor , they shrugged and just put it back on the shelf ............next customer in would have got that  :-/ :-/
Posted by: moosey_club, September 11, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from pkscouse
never been in the seaway since they were serving me and dropped the fish on the floor but carried on - when i said i dont want that as its been on the floor , they shrugged and just put it back on the shelf ............next customer in would have got that :-/ :-/

Chances are it would have been a tripper so no problem there  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I'm sure there was a recent visitor to GTFC who blogged her day out and decided she wanted gravy with her fish and chips at Steels.

ahhh found it https://blackpooljane.wordpress.com/2018/04/22/a-storm-in-a-gravy-boat/

edit: CTFC not GTFC

Was going to add that it's a disgusting north western habit. That and 'curreh' sauce.  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, September 11, 2018, 9:05pm; Reply: 26
There's a good example of nutritional preparation for footballers in this article:

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45460600[/url]
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 11, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mallyner

Thank you for not being tempted to spell place another way.  :)

8) 8) 8)

Posted by: kevikov, September 11, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from moosey_club

i am sure every generation thinks it had the best of times but mid late 80's- Early 90's Meggies was buzzing and i just dont see it the same now...queuing for the pubs common place, outside at Waves, pints of blastaway , then queuing for the Pier/Deans/Flam/ and laterly Customs...everyone back on the streets at 0200 when the clubs shut...Seaway or the pizza places in the market place for grub....and that was on Wed (bags and later the disco inferno nights) /Thur/Fri/Sat nights and then Sunday afternoons in the Vic were pretty special too.
Speciality nights for the emerging House scene upstairs at Willy's and up McCartney's as well IIRC.

Sandwiched in the middle of that one of Englands greatest World Cup's , Italia 90....Logan's anyone ??  

Good times.

Oh fck sound like my parents ....."not like it was in my day" .... haha.

Customs was quality, as was jezebels on a Thursday night!
Posted by: Spidey, September 11, 2018, 11:58pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from kevikov

Customs was quality, as was jezebels on a Thursday night!

Loved dancing on the speakers of Customs, also remember a lass giving out ice pops on the dance floor as it use to get that hot, and as a hard up teenager I would collect all the loose change that had fallen out of  everyone's pockets when jumping to the 900 no. by The 45 King, that was around 1987/88. Ahhh great times.
Posted by: lukeo, September 12, 2018, 7:11am; Reply: 30
battered sausage chips and gravy with scraps mmmm

wish they delivered to somerset  :(  Not seaways, anywhere else.
Posted by: Davec, September 12, 2018, 7:18am; Reply: 31
Whenever I've been past Seaway there has always seemed to be a queue, mind you they were probably all queuing to take them back.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 12, 2018, 11:51am; Reply: 32
Just read an article by Jon Parkin when he made his debut,

He did not think he would be playing so went out for fish +chips met a girl he knew had his nooky

Then found out he was on the bench he was called on before HT  when a player got injured,

He was not feeling very good after. ;D

It says he was 6ft  4ins  and 17 stone that must of been when he made his debut because he was over 20 stone when he last played.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 12, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 33
I suppose it comes down to standards doesn't it?

Appreciate these may not be players directly linked with the club so won't comment on them.

What I do see is every home game the youth team players congregating at the back of the Main Stand in their GTFC clobber, stuffing their faces with whatever they can bring in from the Tesco Express.  I get that these lads will have had a game in the morning and are probably justified in their indulgence, especially at their age when they can get away with it.  But it's about the professionalism of it and what message that sends out.

We all can identify when the club are unprofessional with countless things, we often refer to them as tinpot.  I'm not sure this is any different.  These lads are on club duty, they may not realise it but they're role-models to any impressionable young child who wants to one day be in their shoes and have that chance.    

In their own time and not in club gear, they can do what they like.  They'll make good and bad choices, probably living to regret those that aren't great. But when representing the club I personally think we should expect higher standards.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 12, 2018, 4:48pm; Reply: 34
I found when I was a teenager I could eat and drink what I wanted,

I would burn it off playing football every day,

Then I got to 22 went bus driving and before I knew it was 3 stone overweight,

I am now a comfortable 4 stone overweight after losing 2 stone  ;D

So let that be a warning to these young lads,

Don't get a driving job if you don't make it in football.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 12, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

Appreciate these may not be players directly linked with the club so won't comment on them.

What I do see is every home game the youth team players congregating at the back of the Main Stand in their GTFC clobber, stuffing their faces with whatever they can bring in from the Tesco Express.  I get that these lads will have had a game in the morning and are probably justified in their indulgence, especially at their age when they can get away with it.  But it's about the professionalism of it and what message that sends out.

We all can identify when the club are unprofessional with countless things, we often refer to them as tinpot.  I'm not sure this is any different.  These lads are on club duty, they may not realise it but they're role-models to any impressionable young child who wants to one day be in their shoes and have that chance.    

In their own time and not in club gear, they can do what they like.  They'll make good and bad choices, probably living to regret those that aren't great. But when representing the club I personally think we should expect higher standards.

and a large amount of that will be why those same players will be playing for Clee Town or GY Borough reserves in a few years time...the dedicated and focused players rise to the top....talent alone is not enough anymore.....the fitter you are, the more conditioned your body, what you eat, what you don't eat will all make a difference and that difference will shine through come D-Day.

"Sorry son, we are gonna have to let you go".

Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 36

Not as bad as eating during the game   :)........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOSGQ2ZNLV0
Posted by: Cloudy, September 12, 2018, 6:32pm; Reply: 37

Not just the youth lads. Certainly during the Conference years the first team players piled in to the local Co-op, corner shop for sandwiched crisps etc before the journey home. The club didn’t provide any post match food
Posted by: lukeo, September 14, 2018, 7:30am; Reply: 38

If they're a part of gtfc regardless of age why don't the club organise food for them? I don't know much about the set up and where the youth play but surely it can't be hard to get them all together after the game for half an hour, have sandwiches for them and then head to the game in the afternoon.
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 14, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 39
Wow you need to get a life. Seeing Hooper any time I end up in Clee on a Saturday night winds me up a bit though. Probably wouldn’t mind if he wasn’t stealing a wage
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 14, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mariner_501
Wow you need to get a life. Seeing Hooper any time I end up in Clee on a Saturday night winds me up a bit though. Probably wouldn’t mind if he wasn’t stealing a wage

Other posters need to get a life for complaining about players indulging, but you see nothing wrong in complaining yourself about a player having a beer after a game?  Strange.
Posted by: Mariner_501, September 14, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 41
Yeah definitely some hypocrisy. A young lad having a few chips though, seems weird that it would annoy people to me. I think the resentment for JJ is more to do with that he isn’t very good and/or doesn’t seem to be putting in the effort that is desired when we are paying him a decent wage.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 5:29pm