Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 4:51pm
They have overseen years of this crap, get rid of them first, ask the managers what they think they're doing playing so many players out of position and then ask the players if they're playing for the club or the pay packet.

I've watched this garbage on a stream overseas which, at least, has given me the opportunity to get the gin out.
Posted by: denni266, September 8, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 1
The board wont go. its there little look at me thing
Posted by: Ipswin, September 8, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 2
The board simply appointed the man every fornicator wanted,
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 8, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 3
So long as the board gave Jolley a competitive budget then I am afraid they cannot be blamed for this season. They had universal agreement with Jolley's appointment, they do not train/coach the players, they do not pick the team or formations so we need another scapegoat to blame.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Gaffer58
So long as the board gave Jolley a competitive budget then I am afraid they cannot be blamed for this season. They had universal agreement with Jolley's appointment, they do not train/coach the players, they do not pick the team or formations so we need another scapegoat to blame.

15 years of failure and an inability to do what the council are telling them to do? How long do they need to f@ck a football club?
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 8, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 5
I know it’s a popular thing to do by having a go at the board, and ordinarily I’d agree with most criticisms of them over the last few years.

But I’m struggling to see what they’ve done wrong this season?

Jolley was and I believe still is wanted by the majority and seems to have been backed (to a point) to bring players in this season.
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

15 years of failure and an inability to do what the council are telling them to do? How long do they need to f@ck a football club?

I didn't realise you felt like this Codger. You should've said. I'm sure you'll be equally willing to tell us what more they should be doing to influence the "here and now". They chose Jolley, they've backed Jolley and are not interfering.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mikey_345
I know it’s a popular thing to do by having a go at the board, and ordinarily I’d agree with most criticisms of them over the last few years.

But I’m struggling to see what they’ve done wrong this season?

Jolley was and I believe still is wanted by the majority and seems to have been backed (to a point) to bring players in this season.

This season the only thing they've done is put Jolley at centre stage. When he was appointed, Championship football in 5 years, more chance of still playing Conference football at BP
Posted by: Quagmire, September 8, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from barralad

I didn't realise you felt like this Codger. You should've said. I'm sure you'll be equally willing to tell us what more they should be doing to influence the "here and now". They chose Jolley, they've backed Jolley and are not interfering.

How are the Trust getting on re not paying Fenty for a seat on the board this season Barra as per the Trust survey results?
Posted by: Mikey_345, September 8, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This season the only thing they've done is put Jolley at centre stage. When he was appointed, Championship football in 5 years, more chance of still playing Conference football at BP

Still struggling to see what they’ve done wrong....
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 8, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Ipswin
The board simply appointed the man every fornicator wanted,

You were the lone voice against his employment Swin.

Maybe you were right after all.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from barralad

Completely forgot that you backed the decayed decade and a half of the Fenty vanity project.......
Posted by: Garth, September 8, 2018, 5:22pm; Reply: 12
This game was nothing to do with the board, all about the players and the management IMO, neither had the guile to change things when 2-0 down, which would have been the sign of good management and caring players
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Quagmire

How are the Trust getting on re not paying Fenty for a seat on the board this season Barra as per the Trust survey results?

News this week on that...
Posted by: Quagmire, September 8, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from barralad

Good.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Garth
This game was nothing to do with the board, all about the players and the management IMO, neither had the guile to change things when 2-0 down, which would have been the sign of good management and caring players

Welsh was subbed off at halftime and we got worse!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 8, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 16
Lets not , the board did what the majority of town fans wanted and got jolley in and they to a certain extent backed him.

The board cant take the blame for this really imo and maybe just maybe the board and the fans have been sucked in by a man out if his depth  

The warning signs were there when we start with a wide formation with no wide players.

Im sorry but i cant lay the blame at mr fenty for this one but only one man and thats michael jolley and the management team.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 8, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters
They have overseen years of this crap, get rid of them first, ask the managers what they think they're doing playing so many players out of position and then ask the players if they're playing for the club or the pay packet.

I've watched this garbage on a stream overseas which, at least, has given me the opportunity to get the gin out.

The problem still exists that at the moment there is no credible potential incumbents.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, September 8, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from barralad

Have they actually backed him? Are we sure the budget increased?
I would suggest it’s the same old shite budget and lack of investment. If you look at the club since we’ve returned to league the quality players have left and not been replaced.
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Completely forgot that you backed the decayed decade and a half of the Fenty vanity project.......

Not at all I just don't get the urge to revert to a default stance of "Blame the Board" every time we lose...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 5:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from barralad

Not at all I just don't get the urge to revert to a default stance of "Blame the Board" every time we lose...

Who is running the club then?
Posted by: realist, September 8, 2018, 6:34pm; Reply: 21
Perhaps we should blame the trust as well?  A bucket of frogspawn would be of more use than them
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from realist
Perhaps we should blame the trust as well?  A bucket of frogspawn would be of more use than them

Go on then fits in with the general over reaction to a defeat.
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who is running the club then?

Surely I'm not going to have to explain to you how these things work? Are you going to answer my question regarding what more the Board can do in the here and now?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from barralad

Surely I'm not going to have to explain to you how these things work? Are you going to answer my question regarding what more the Board can do in the here and now?

Please don’t be so patronising. As you are at the high table, could you please ask the board which part of their era they most proud of and which part of the club has improved under their tenure?
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 8, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from barralad

They could start by telling us what the fcuk is happening regarding the new ground. Then they could reinstate the SLO that actually gives a sh1t. Catering, toilets. !!!
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Please don’t be so patronising. As you are at the high table, could you please ask the board which part of their era they most proud of and which part of the club has improved under their tenure?

1. I'm nowhere near any "high table" whatever that may mean.
2. My reaction to your post was because you never offer any new slant. It is just the same stuff.
3. Are you going to answer the question regarding what the Board could do now to sort out this mini slump?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from barralad

2. My reaction to your post was because you never offer any new slant. It is just the same stuff.
3. Are you going to answer the question regarding what the Board could do now to sort out this mini slump?

2. No new slant needed, same board, same excrement different season
3. No I’m not, the board picks the manager, their responsibility not mine
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 8, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from barralad

Never heard of root cause analysis?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 8, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from barralad

I think Civvy gave you a few pointers
Posted by: barralad, September 8, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Never heard of root cause analysis?

No is it a bit like root canal surgery?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 8, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from barralad

No is it a bit like root canal surgery?

Does it hurt? Does it Hurt?

;)
Posted by: pen penfras, September 8, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 32
The board didn't decide they want to play the ball out from the back and then sign a centre back who can't do that from the worst team in the division last season. The board didn't decide that we don't need any wide players and then fill those positions with players who've never played there. The board don't pick a 37 year old who can't run and spends the majority of the game boll0cking everybody whilst dragging the defence into our box and inviting pressure. The board don't stick a short guy with no physical presence up front and expect him to somehow make something out of p1ss poor service and shite long balls from the keeper.

The board did hire the manager that everybody has been creaming over for the last 5 months, yet all his mistakes are somehow the board's fault. Fickleness of the highest order!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 33
So the board hired Jolley and then don't accept responsibility for his mistakes? I'd say that was pretty fickle too.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 8, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from pen penfras
The board didn't decide they want to play the ball out from the back and then sign a centre back who can't do that from the worst team in the division last season. The board didn't decide that we don't need any wide players and then fill those positions with players who've never played there. The board don't pick a 37 year old who can't run and spends the majority of the game boll0cking everybody whilst dragging the defence into our box and inviting pressure. The board don't stick a short guy with no physical presence up front and expect him to somehow make something out of p1ss poor service and shite long balls from the keeper.

The board did hire the manager that everybody has been creaming over for the last 5 months, yet all his mistakes are somehow the board's fault. Fickleness of the highest order!

Agree with everything you say above on this one. The playing side this season has hardly anything to do with the board at all if they are maintaining a laissez faire relationship with the manager. There are many other subjects to blame the board for. This isn't one of them..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 8, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from pen penfras

I take those points on board this is what the board did do:

Hire Mike Newell who only kept us up first time of asking because Luton (now in League One) were deducted 30 points. Nobody would touch him with a barge pole.
Appoint Neil Woods and allow him to oversee the worst run in our history before inevitably taking us out of the league.
Not matching the ambition of the manager who brought us back into the league by preventing him from signing extra coaches but later allowing Russell Slade to do just that.
Hiring Marcus Bignot who was an absolute fruitcake.
Replacing him with Russell Slade who was on a hiding to nothing here given the way he left last time. The warning signs were there with his previous appointments too.
Being filmed by fans stating that all managers are 6 games from the sack but allowing his best mate (the prat in a hat) 12 games.

We got away with it last season by the skin of our teeth so forgive fans for these reactions. The board give managers the budget and we as fans are unsure how competitive that is. We only have the managers and boards word on that and the manager is unlikely to say that his boss has given him a terrible budget!

Overseeing all of this is John Fenty and the rest of his gang. It is time for some fresh faces in the board room. He isn't going to deliver a stadium and he already has a legacy to be remembered by: the man who oversaw relegation to non-league.

The time has come Mr Fenty to write off the benign loan and sell your shares for £1. We haven't needed any of his money for some time now do I am sure the club would cope just fine. Perhaps he could then concentrate on attending council meetings; such as the one about the motion for raising council tax for most of NELC that he failed to attend earlier this week despite proposing the idea.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 8, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from pen penfras

Can’t argue with that let’s just hope “the board” are big enough to deal with the issue if action is required, I’m still optimistic it won’t be required.

Posted by: Bigdog, September 8, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Civvy at last

They could start by telling us what the fcuk is happening regarding the new ground. Then they could reinstate the SLO that actually gives a sh1t. Catering, toilets. !!!

Attract inward investment and more board members with fresh ideas for the first time in years would be a start, talk to Councillor Wheatley nicely, engage with Nigel Lowther who has a clear idea of what the town of Grimsby needs.. etc etc etc

The general malaise and sterility at the club is well set, it clouds the town, the fanbase, the Trust and also it seems to have transcended quickly to the new management team to some extent as MJ has more than once mentioned bunker mentality this season. Nearly 900 fans at Bury this afternoon and somehow the manager has to build a bunker to protect him and the team from fans. This is the bit of influence over the playing side the board has to be culpable of as no one at the club likes the fans.

Don't think it was wise to start a thread against the board re the playing side this season as there are other subjects where the board and others deserve greater scrutiny to be fair..
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 8, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I take those points on board this is what the board did do:

Hire Mike Newell who only kept us up first time of asking because Luton (now in League One) were deducted 30 points. Nobody would touch him with a barge pole.
Appoint Neil Woods and allow him to oversee the worst run in our history before inevitably taking us out of the league.
Not matching the ambition of the manager who brought us back into the league by preventing him from signing extra coaches but later allowing Russell Slade to do just that.
Hiring Marcus Bignot who was an absolute fruitcake.
Replacing him with Russell Slade who was on a hiding to nothing here given the way he left last time. The warning signs were there with his previous appointments too.
Being filmed by fans stating that all managers are 6 games from the sack but allowing his best mate (the prat in a hat) 12 games.

We got away with it last season by the skin of our teeth so forgive fans for these reactions. The board give managers the budget and we as fans are unsure how competitive that is. We only have the managers and boards word on that and the manager is unlikely to say that his boss has given him a terrible budget!

Overseeing all of this is John Fenty and the rest of his gang. It is time for some fresh faces in the board room. He isn't going to deliver a stadium and he already has a legacy to be remembered by: the man who oversaw relegation to non-league.

The time has come Mr Fenty to write off the benign loan and sell your shares for £1. We haven't needed any of his money for some time now do I am sure the club would cope just fine. Perhaps he could then concentrate on attending council meetings; such as the one about the motion for raising council tax for most of NELC that he failed to attend earlier this week despite proposing the idea.

Absolutely right and it would take you and I about half an hour to type out the full catalogue of mess ups by the present board. Nobody else would just carry on as if nothing had happened would they? What is he getting out of it? He is still a rich man despite his loans to GTFC which no doubt he will legally ensure he gets back at some future date, so why doesn't he do the club a gigantic favour and move aside?

Just publicly moving aside and stating what he wants financially to give it up would give the club a huge boost. He cannot be the owner forever, he hasn't got the cash to spare or the drive to make anything on or off the pitch any better so what is he in it for??

Why is he arrogant enough to think HE has to be the man to call the shots? As you say we need new ideas, a new vision and a new way of doing things and most of all new money to get us out of the doldrums. We have the history, we have got decent fan numbers for the level we are at and despite the doom and gloom merchants we have potential to be league 1 or better.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 8, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 39

Absolutely right and it would take you and I about half an hour to type out the full catalogue of mess ups by the present board. Nobody else would just carry on as if nothing had happened would they? What is he getting out of it? He is still a rich man despite his loans to GTFC which no doubt he will legally ensure he gets back at some future date, so why doesn't he do the club a gigantic favour and move aside?

Just publicly moving aside and stating what he wants financially to give it up would give the club a huge boost. He cannot be the owner forever, he hasn't got the cash to spare or the drive to make anything on or off the pitch any better so what is he in it for??

Why is he arrogant enough to think HE has to be the man to call the shots? As you say we need new ideas, a new vision and a new way of doing things and most of all new money to get us out of the doldrums. We have the history, we have got decent fan numbers for the level we are at and despite the doom and gloom merchants we have potential to be league 1 or better.

I agree with all of the above apart from the assumption that we have the potential to be league 1 or better. After too long in tin pot, too much instability since we came back, a board which only provides us with a “trading budget” and a p1ss poor home with a p1ss poor capacity I’m not sure I and more importantly new investors recognise any sort of potential.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 8, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 40
I'd just like to point out that we had three times (886) as many away fans as the second best away following (Swindon292) in L2 today. Please tell me what the board of GTFC has done to deserve such loyalty.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 8, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I agree with all of the above apart from the assumption that we have the potential to be league 1 or better. After too long in tin pot, too much instability since we came back, a board which only provides us with a “trading budget” and a p1ss poor home with a p1ss poor capacity I’m not sure I and more importantly new investors recognise any sort of potential.

Further to your point and LCL's point Accrington got promoted on a shoestring last year and are currently doing alright in the division above averaging crowds that are a fraction of ours. I don't have the time to analyse 24 sets of accounts but I wonder where our total wage bill falls in comparison to our competitors.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 8, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Believe me we have the potential to be league 1 or better!

One man has been instrumental in holding us back. There are many many examples of clubs coming back from far worse situations than ours to prosper. We need new owners, it is as simple as that.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, September 8, 2018, 11:32pm; Reply: 43
We can certainly get to wherever we want with the right attitude, but do people still think that League One is our par for the course?  It's been 15 years since we were at that level - that's more than a blip, I would say.  People said we were punching above our weight in the Championship; have we progressed an inch since then in any of the key areas that contribute to success in the modern game (investment, infrastructure)?

I was flicking through some old programmes the other day and saw that table that showed us top of Division 1, above Manchester City.  It's only when you look back to the not-too-distant past that you realise how good Town used to be, and why older fans are disillusioned currently.  It's understandably difficult to see us be fearful of the likes of Yeovil at home, for Lincoln City to be relevant to us, etc.  

But that's where we are, isn't it?  We aren't better than League Two, we belong here.  

The problem is everywhere.  It's like everything just oozes sadness; a general malaise which constantly descends upon BP.  It's not about any one individual, we shouldn't pin it on any one individual.  It will take good leadership to provide that spark that could turn the engines once again.  New blood is required everywhere.  Time to find it.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 8, 2018, 11:39pm; Reply: 44
The board are responsible, there is no drive or determination from the board, that seeps into the players, what other answer for us struggling year on year.  It seems they are just going through the emotions, a massive thread on the Stadium, still no answers.

After raising the dead last season why has it gone so terribly wrong this season, we do have some decent players but is the quality there, performances and league position don't lie, we are poor from top to bottom.

Time to get the Absinthe out.
Posted by: Maringer, September 9, 2018, 12:11am; Reply: 45
Bit, erm, hysterical this thread, isn't it?

Complaining about 'the board' is neither here nor there if you don't have the means/wherewithal to replace them. I tend to doubt they are deliberately making decisions with the aim of making us struggle. Perhaps this running a club lark isn't as easy as Football Manager would indicate? Not saying they are much good at it, but I'm sure they are doing their best.

I think Jolley was an OK choice of manager. Did OK last season after a poor start, made some OK signings this time around. Not quite all together yet as we've had a lot of injuries in certain positions and the newest signings aren't fit enough to play yet so it remains to be seen what the squad can achieve.

Is it worth the hysteria on here at the moment? Not in my view.

Hope we start to pick up more points soon as most of the earlier performances indicated we would.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 9, 2018, 12:34am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Maringer
Bit, erm, hysterical this thread, isn't it?

Complaining about 'the board' is neither here nor there if you don't have the means/wherewithal to replace them. I tend to doubt they are deliberately making decisions with the aim of making us struggle. Perhaps this running a club lark isn't as easy as Football Manager would indicate? Not saying they are much good at it, but I'm sure they are doing their best.

I think Jolley was an OK choice of manager. Did OK last season after a poor start, made some OK signings this time around. Not quite all together yet as we've had a lot of injuries in certain positions and the newest signings aren't fit enough to play yet so it remains to be seen what the squad can achieve.

Is it worth the hysteria on here at the moment? Not in my view.

Hope we start to pick up more points soon as most of the earlier performances indicated we would.

What means are required to replace the current board? It's not like they are putting money in at the minute is it? In fact, the club is pretty self-sufficient.

In any other business, a board member who told a stakeholder to shut up in a public meeting would have been sacked. Apparently the loans are not a problem to any investors but they are because Grimsby Town Football Club plc is not worth £2m plus whatever he paid for his shares.  The land that we own was worth £800k at the last valuation I think but when the cost of demolition is factored in it is probably worth the next to nothing.

I think he just needs to donate his shares to the Trust, write off his benign loans and step away from the football club. He has failed to deliver a stadium and has devalued the product.

Radio Humberside have called Fenty out for some time and he won't face the media because he knows there are some awkward questions that people want answers to.

If we go down again, I fear we will never come back.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 9, 2018, 7:52am; Reply: 47
[quote=3362]

Believe me we have the potential to be league 1 or better!

One man has been instrumental in holding us back. There are many many examples of clubs coming back from far worse situations than ours to prosper. We need new owners, it is as simple as that.[/quote
While we owe him so much money I’m afraid I can’t see anyone coming in with new investment  
Posted by: Yoda, September 9, 2018, 8:04am; Reply: 48
It’s his rank bad management that has cost him 2 million pounds.
If he had an ounce of dignity he would walk away.
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 9:25am; Reply: 49
Ok so if he isn't wanted at our club anymore then the fans need to do something about it.

Forgive me for saying but, It's okay typing frustrations on this forum to vent the immediate anger but nothing will change if the fans don't be active to be publicly heard.

I for one isn't suggesting a midseason protest at BP as it'll be an unhealthy distraction to what MJ is trying to achieve but something needs to be distributed into the board meetings via Mariners Trust or something along those lines.

The fans need a mechanism for Fenty to get a very very clear message that his sell by date is well and truly gone at BP and it's time to part ways. None of keyboard typing as it doesn't get heard.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2018, 9:44am; Reply: 50
Quoted from MarinerDevil
We can certainly get to wherever we want with the right attitude, but do people still think that League One is our par for the course?  It's been 15 years since we were at that level - that's more than a blip, I would say.  People said we were punching above our weight in the Championship; have we progressed an inch since then in any of the key areas that contribute to success in the modern game (investment, infrastructure)?

I was flicking through some old programmes the other day and saw that table that showed us top of Division 1, above Manchester City.  It's only when you look back to the not-too-distant past that you realise how good Town used to be, and why older fans are disillusioned currently.  It's understandably difficult to see us be fearful of the likes of Yeovil at home, for Lincoln City to be relevant to us, etc.  

But that's where we are, isn't it?  We aren't better than League Two, we belong here.  

The problem is everywhere.  It's like everything just oozes sadness; a general malaise which constantly descends upon BP.  It's not about any one individual, we shouldn't pin it on any one individual.  It will take good leadership to provide that spark that could turn the engines once again.  New blood is required everywhere.  Time to find it.

It's an interesting point around "culture" and "can't do" I know for a fact that the club withhold payment to a new local supplier to the point that this particular supplier has last week threatened them with court action. Administrative error or a culture of amateurism?

Though the above example is not football related it suggests a way of working that belongs in a different league and not at a "professional" club.  

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 9, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 51
Quoted from H19P1
Ok so if he isn't wanted at our club anymore then the fans need to do something about it.

Forgive me for saying but, It's okay typing frustrations on this forum to vent the immediate anger but nothing will change if the fans don't be active to be publicly heard.

I for one isn't suggesting a midseason protest at BP as it'll be an unhealthy distraction to what MJ is trying to achieve but something needs to be distributed into the board meetings via Mariners Trust or something along those lines.

The fans need a mechanism for Fenty to get a very very clear message that his sell by date is well and truly gone at BP and it's time to part ways. None of keyboard typing as it doesn't get heard.  

The mechanism is there. The problem is the last time the fans told the Trust what they wanted nothing happened. But underlying that problem is fans don’t seem to want to get involved in changing things by a couple of people (mickey and ska). Elections to the trust board go uncontested. Public meetings of the Trust are poorly attended. More people need to step forward.
So many of us are exiles so we have limited time and it really needs to be owned by people who live in the town or close by.
We get the Trust and club we deserve.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 52
As soon as things start to go mammaries up and all the ridiculous pre-season optimism surrounding Jolley starts to wear thin the attacks start on the board again

They appointed Jolley, the man every fornicator wanted based on a couple of vids on You Tube, a relegation in Sweden and an unbeaten home record in his Subbuteo league, They have sanctioned the signing / loan of a number of players seen by many as superb signings from a higher level than us and Fenty has kept his mouth shut for months.

What the intercourse have they done wrong this time and how on earth can Jolley's inability to get players to perform, and the players apparent inability to perform be the board's fault?
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 53
Think people are just genuinely fed up and want change at the top. Don't think it has anything to do with MJ and what he's trying to do but just the underlying fact that JF hasn't really taken us anywhere in his time in charge.

Nothing wrong with the fans wanting success and maybe they can smell success under MJ leadership in time but feel that JF has taken us as far as he can possibly do so.
Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2018, 11:44am; Reply: 54
Quoted from realist

Logically if they have a place on The Board then it follows they must be a part of the problem ( if we assume The Board is a collective )  ;)
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 55
Let's test the trust resolve to see what side of the fence they actually sit.

Get them to organise a mass vote on if we want to see change at the top starting with JF.

This way they'll get to see the overriding opinion of the whole town and not just people of this forum.

If they actually set something up then it needs to be on a big scale rather than low key.

Social media, local news, ballot papers and anything else to gauge the true feeling. Until then the fans will never be heard
Posted by: Grantley, September 9, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 56
People STILL believe we could compete at Championship level?

In the past 5 years, only 5 teams have had a sub-10000 average attendance: Yeovil, Doncaster, Rotherham, Burton and Bournemouth. Yeovil and Doncaster went down instantly. Rotherham and Burton just about survived until giving up. And we all know how Bournemouth got to the PL.

Unless we have a Lincoln-esque revival, we aren’t even going to get close to 10k (we won’t even get to 9k without a new ground). The only small club who consistently do well in the Championship is Brentford, and that’s because they sell millions worth of players every year and they still have millions pumped in.

Without a benefactor, clubs of our size (a core of 3.5k fans) are always going to struggle at second-tier level and it’s only going to get worse as the wage gap exponentially increases.

The best we can hope for upper half of League 1 with some PO campaigns. That’s as far as I can see.
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 12:02pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Grantley
People STILL believe we could compete at Championship level?

In the past 5 years, only 5 teams have had a sub-10000 average attendance: Yeovil, Doncaster, Rotherham, Burton and Bournemouth. Yeovil and Doncaster went down instantly. Rotherham and Burton just about survived until giving up. And we all know how Bournemouth got to the PL.

Unless we have a Lincoln-esque revival, we aren’t even going to get close to 10k (we won’t even get to 9k without a new ground). The only small club who consistently do well in the Championship is Brentford, and that’s because they sell millions worth of players every year and they still have millions pumped in.

Without a benefactor, clubs of our size (a core of 3.5k fans) are always going to struggle at second-tier level and it’s only going to get worse as the wage gap exponentially increases.

The best we can hope for upper half of League 1 with some PO campaigns. That’s as far as I can see.

And this is what people are saying, a new leader to act as a benefactor rather than a in the nicest possible way, a stagnant JF.
Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from H19P1

And this is what people are saying, a new leader to act as a benefactor rather than a in the nicest possible way, a stagnant JF.

In other words somebody who is prepared to gift the club money in exchange for the kudos of running a FL club and the good will of the GTFC fans.
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 12:19pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from rancido

In other words somebody who is prepared to gift the club money in exchange for the kudos of running a FL club and the good will of the GTFC fans.

Maybe so or just someone new with fresh ideas who operates differently and maybe have a different vision.

Nothing wrong with change as long as we accept the risks that could come with change.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 9, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from H19P1
Think people are just genuinely fed up and want change at the top. Don't think it has anything to do with MJ and what he's trying to do but just the underlying fact that JF hasn't really taken us anywhere in his time in charge.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that but why now? Why has it all raised its head again following a poor start to the season? Most were satisfied with the board's approach to a new manager and signings but a few shite results and it's all their fault again

Posted by: Grantley, September 9, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from H19P1

I maybe used the wrong word - I meant sugardaddy.
Posted by: H19P1, September 9, 2018, 12:31pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Ipswin

I wouldn't disagree with any of that but why now? Why has it all raised its head again following a poor start to the season? Most were satisfied with the board's approach to a new manager and signings but a few shite results and it's all their fault again

Yes I think you're correct that its probably down to frustration of how we've started the season. It's always going to be an underlying event when something isn't going as we like. It's natural to blame someone and it's usually the man at the top who takes the brunt.

At least the recent board rants semi distracts MJ from trying to do his job whilst JF is taking such a hammering.

It's just years of built up frustration that always appears and cant see it going away until there's actual change.

Think it's just the way it is until we start getting results then the heat will be off JF until the next time we lose a few.

15 years of hurt wont go way that easily with GTFC fans until its a distant memory or change actually happens.  
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 9, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Ipswin
As soon as things start to go mammaries up and all the ridiculous pre-season optimism surrounding Jolley starts to wear thin the attacks start on the board again

They appointed Jolley, the man every fornicator wanted based on a couple of vids on You Tube, a relegation in Sweden and an unbeaten home record in his Subbuteo league, They have sanctioned the signing / loan of a number of players seen by many as superb signings from a higher level than us and Fenty has kept his mouth shut for months.

What the intercourse have they done wrong this time and how on earth can Jolley's inability to get players to perform, and the players apparent inability to perform be the board's fault?

Authority can be delegated but responsibility can never be delegated. Responsibility of subordinates is “performance” and that of managers is “responsibility for the action of their subordinates”. One cannot be held responsible for a task if he has only limited authority. What interaction is there between the board and management team.

If you were a board member / chairman / owner you are in a senior management position and you must have dialogue around an improvement program with an under performing employee or manager, not just letting things slide because ultimately it's the mangers fault, so he'll get the bullet. We have had over a decade of poor performances and struggled all far to often, what other teams struggle as much as we do. The top set the standards and drive change but it seems our board like keeping their hands warm by sitting on them.
Posted by: essexexile, September 9, 2018, 1:26pm; Reply: 64
After the thumping we got yesterday, it's only natural that fans try & look for a reason & whether it's MJ, the players or the board that's at fault, the underlying fact is that economically we are treading water.
Unless investment increases year on year to benefit the club as a whole and the team in particular I don't see how we can survive. JF is right when he says we need more revenue streams but I also think he's holding us back by hanging on.
The club needs more investment but without either a new stadium or an investor can't see how it's going to get it.
UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 9, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Ipswin

The anti-Fetny/anti-board feeling has been building for a long while. It's just that outright complaints dampen down when we're on a good run, partly cos people are happier, partly cos they're worried about upsetting the apple cart.

It's a bit like the difference between climate and weather. The overall climate is one of mistrust and lack of confidence in the board/Fenty. Now and again we get spells of good weather which we just want to enjoy while it lasts.

And regarding the manager, at the end of the day the board have to accept responsibility even if a lot of people wanted the manager. One, it's the board's responsibility to select the best person. Two, it's the board's responsibility to make sure the manager has the best resources available and thirdly that he delivers. Now Mike Jolley is still new to the club, but the board (particularly Fenty) have had 15 years to get it right
Posted by: Cloudy, September 9, 2018, 2:51pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from pen penfras

Whitmore has been far from the worst player in a Town shirt this season and most agree that Town played well at Macclesfield and v Lincoln when Collins was in defence.
We do lack natural wide players I accept but that’s why we aren’t playing a width based game. Cook isn’t a lone striker I fully agree.

The board telephoned Jolley and invited him for interview. I doubt many, if any, Town fans had heard of him at that stage.

I maintain I am happy to have Jolley as manager of our club and want us to stick with him.
As you are obviously close to the board you will no doubt be aware that the budget MJ has is outside the top 15 even in this league.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 9, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 67
So I open a fish and chip shop and the first years trading shows a loss of £25k, to keep going because I feel the shop will eventually be successful I use my little nest egg and pay off the £25k loss, this goes on for 4 years accumulating an overall loss of £100k that each year I have cleared the loss. I decide to sell up and ask for £80k for the premises fixture and fittings as a going business, can I also ask any future buyers to also pay the £100k that I pumped in to cover the 4 years of trading lists. I call this £100k a benign loan.
Posted by: Garth, September 9, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Gaffer58
So I open a fish and chip shop and the first years trading shows a loss of £25k, to keep going because I feel the shop will eventually be successful I use my little nest egg and pay off the £25k loss, this goes on for 4 years accumulating an overall loss of £100k that each year I have cleared the loss. I decide to sell up and ask for £80k for the premises fixture and fittings as a going business, can I also ask any future buyers to also pay the £100k that I pumped in to cover the 4 years of trading lists. I call this £100k a benign loan.

Would sound a bit fishy to me, and I would say that you would have had your chips ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2018, 3:49pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Gaffer58

I actually work in a job where we sell businesses, A shares anyway. There are companies out there who value the businesses then the buyer and seller negotiate a price usually above the valuation based upon the forecasted financial performance across 5 years.

This is not unique to the sector I work in but might illustrate why the current gang of 4 reign supreme as until we start moving forward on the pitch we’ll garner little interest.

All that time in non league followed by a first season back where we had 3 managers, then a relegation fight the 2nd year and currently a potential replication this season hardly makes for an attractive purchase.

With the p1ss poor revenues National League teams get new investors would put their money in at the risk of us falling into the abyss again.
Posted by: rancido, September 9, 2018, 5:52pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from essexexile
After the thumping we got yesterday, it's only natural that fans try & look for a reason & whether it's MJ, the players or the board that's at fault, the underlying fact is that economically we are treading water.
Unless investment increases year on year to benefit the club as a whole and the team in particular I don't see how we can survive. JF is right when he says we need more revenue streams but I also think he's holding us back by hanging on.
The club needs more investment but without either a new stadium or an investor can't see how it's going to get it.
UTM

But do you mean investment or speculation? I think what you mean is speculation because nothing is guaranteed whereas an investment implies a guaranteed return.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 9, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 71
Hate to bring Lincoln up but they are spouting about all the direct investment that is going into them, and not just money from the cup competitions, it would be interesting to know if their chairman/directors are gifting this money or is it a loan to be paid back at a later date?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 9, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Gaffer58
Hate to bring Lincoln up but they are spouting about all the direct investment that is going into them, and not just money from the cup competitions, it would be interesting to know if their chairman/directors are gifting this money or is it a loan to be paid back at a later date?

They have just appointed a new director, who will bring new expertise to the table. They are forging ahead at a rapid rate, and sadly, leaving us in their wake.

https://www.redimps.co.uk/news/2018/september/180906/
Posted by: essexexile, September 9, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from rancido

But do you mean investment or speculation? I think what you mean is speculation because nothing is guaranteed whereas an investment implies a guaranteed return.

As we all know from TV ads investments can go up or down, but unless you buy a ticket you ain't gonna win the raffle & unless money is invested in GTFC we ain't gonna win anything either.
Look at the Premiership, millions are spent buying players, some of whom don't pay off but an awful lot do.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 9, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from ginnywings

They have just appointed a new director, who will bring new expertise to the table. They are forging ahead at a rapid rate, and sadly, leaving us in their wake.

It makes you weep when you see someone with his cv WANTING to come on the Lincoln board. Imagine that at GTFC - well no we can't because it is impossible to imagine and seems to have been that way for far too long.

Of course, according to our directors there is no other investment for us out there in a similar mould. No one who could bring anything new to the party; no one who might have some expertise willingly given. No one who has black and white running through his veins who has done well for himself who wants to help his home town club. I wonder why that is?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 75
Can someone explain to me what there actually is to “invest” in?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 9, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Memories?
Posted by: Helgy, September 9, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 77
3 years ago no one wanted to know & I was doing crowdfunders to keep us going.
Success makes people want to be associated with the club.
It’s not easy running a football club , you are supposed to question things when it’s all rosey not when the wheels have fallen off because then it’s too late.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 78

Memories?

Sadly not solid collateral, though mine as a Town supporter are priceless and in relative terms cost me very little making new ones for an owner does not come cheap.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 9, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Helgy
It’s not easy running a football club , you are supposed to question things when it’s all rosey not when the wheels have fallen off because then it’s too late.

Fully respect that fella but as you say where was mr Samsung when things weren’t so rosy wonder out of city Liverpool man yoo who he really supports
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 10, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Helgy

Want to do a motivational speech to our director(s)?....think with that post they could learn a thing or 3 off you!!...
Fair play to you but it's going to be about keeping that investment and interest as or when your bubble bursts...it may never happen but as you say, you've keep your eye on the ball at all times, blink at the wrong time and all the positivity goes up in dust and you'll be back crowdfunding..
Posted by: rancido, September 10, 2018, 1:42pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from essexexile

As we all know from TV ads investments can go up or down, but unless you buy a ticket you ain't gonna win the raffle & unless money is invested in GTFC we ain't gonna win anything either.
Look at the Premiership, millions are spent buying players, some of whom don't pay off but an awful lot do.

But they are bought by the input that the Premiersh*t gets from televised matches. They have the money to speculate in those players without it coming out of the Directors / clubs income stream ( if you don't count that money as an income stream but a yearly bonus ).
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 10, 2018, 4:04pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Football fortune  ;)
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 10, 2018, 4:32pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from ginnywings

Christ, I find this endlessly more depressing than any other thing Lincoln have done better than us since returning to the Football League. How we're crying out for someone at the club with that sort of expertise, and it'll never happen while Fenty and his massive ego (and "benign" loans) are still hanging around.

Posted by: Maringer, September 10, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 84
Hmmm. Not too sure a product marketing manager who has worked at companies which produced goods will exactly be an expert on the operations of a small/middling football outfit.

That said, impressive business chops if he is going to get involved in the running of the club so you'd expect he'll be able to do something there - just as long as they have success on the pitch.
Posted by: Chrisblor, September 10, 2018, 4:54pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Maringer
Hmmm. Not too sure a product marketing manager who has worked at companies which produced goods will exactly be an expert on the operations of a small/middling football outfit.

That said, impressive business chops if he is going to get involved in the running of the club so you'd expect he'll be able to do something there - just as long as they have success on the pitch.

Our board massively fails at understanding who our supporters are, why they support the club, and how they can draw more people who currently spend their Saturday afternoons doing other stuff through the turnstiles (i.e. what GTFC's actual 'product' is). Anyone with some basic marketing knowledge can figure out where they're going wrong and set them on a path towards proactively selling the club to a wider audience of prospective supporters AND improving relations with those of us still going week in week out. This kind of stuff will be child's play to a bloke with a CV like that.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 10, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Maringer

So what exactly do a retired fish merchant, a retired accountant, a retired solicitor and a racehorse trainer who hasn't had a winner for three years bring to the table then?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 10, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So what exactly do a retired fish merchant, a retired accountant, a retired solicitor and a racehorse trainer who hasn't had a winner for three years bring to the table then?

The Lincoln chap is exactly the calibre of person we need with a cv like that. There is one stumbling block to us attracting anyone like that, and even if a miracle occurred he wouldn't last long. I am not sure what might be putting them off. ;D  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 10, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Chrisblor

Our board massively fails at understanding who our supporters are, why they support the club, and how they can draw more people who currently spend their Saturday afternoons doing other stuff through the turnstiles (i.e. what GTFC's actual 'product' is). Anyone with some basic marketing knowledge can figure out where they're going wrong and set them on a path towards proactively selling the club to a wider audience of prospective supporters AND improving relations with those of us still going week in week out. This kind of stuff will be child's play to a bloke with a CV like that.

Don’t be ‘hysterical’ 😉
Posted by: Maringer, September 10, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 89
Nothing hysterical about that post. Unlike much of the thread at the weekend.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 10, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from MuddyWaters

At least they have the balls to sit around the table and try unlike others who just like to sit behind a keyboard and snipe
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 10, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Maringer
Nothing hysterical about that post. Unlike much of the thread at the weekend.

You must have been reading a different thread to me. I've seen hysteria before, but that wasn't it.
Posted by: nightrider, September 10, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 92
I remember being in the Pontoon for the game when John Fenty had just taken over
Numerous people walking up to him to shake his hand and tell him how wonderful he was.
It took him a long time to walk across the stand that day. Hailed as the messiah by the fans that greeted him. How times change  ;D
Now it might take him a while to walk across the front of the Pontoon but for a different reason!

Poor bloke. He just wants his money back! 2million and he'll be gone. Without it, never!
Posted by: Bigdog, September 10, 2018, 11:43pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

At least they have the balls to sit around the table and try unlike others who just like to sit behind a keyboard and snipe

What does that mean? The you can't have a say because you're not in charge bollox again? Whatever they're sitting around a table doing, it's not clearly good enough. Sorry, most if not all on here haven't got a spare two mill to lend the club to tie it up for two decades or more to be the big man and make all of the decisions. You keep forgetting that some have tried to work with John and it hasn't worked out because they don't agree with John and it may surprise you to find out that there are several on here who have offered their services for free to the club and been turned down. Why offer help if you can only do what John agrees with anyway? How can the club progress if it's John's way or the highway? You end up with yes men doing John's bidding for free, that's all. So that long old worn out argument of John having a go and no one else can have a say won't wash after 17 years. Just look at what's been achieved in all that time and you have the gall to say that fans who've spent thousands of their own money can't have a say? No one asked JF to take over, it was his decision, it was his decision to put his yes man accountant and yes man solicitor on the board for f all investment from them, so yes, he can take whatever flak comes to him if he doesn't deliver results, which he clearly hasn't. GTFC is bigger than the current board and always will be the emotional property of the fanbase long after we've all left this planet. It may surprise you that there's fans across this country who love how their clubs are being run, we've just put up with shite for so long we're conditioned to it. So we can't spend cash on players like say Chelsea, but we could easily offer the fans the same quality of food on a Saturday afternoon, Kidderminster nail it so why can't we? We can make sure all promotional material is designed nicely, accurately and spell-checked like Chelsea do, it costs nothing but we can't even do that. Fans have put in 30 mill plus since John's been in charge that he has had the benefit of spending, it's an affront to say that they're not allowed a say and never take for granted that fans have not tried to help..

I know you're being personally loyal Rob, but you've got to admit the past two decades haven't been a success and many mistakes have been made, and whether certain people like it or not, fans are stakeholders of football clubs too and deserve a say. It's been mainly negativity from the fans for the past twenty years because it's been shite for the past twenty years, the worst period in the club's history. This set of fans including those that have offered help are eager to hand out praise for a change, we're unbelievably patient in waiting for something tangible to believe in and get behind. The board should feel lucky with the fact that there's so many fans left that are still bothered enough to moan about our plight after all this time..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 10, 2018, 11:52pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Bigdog

What does that mean? You can't have a say because you're not in charge bollox again? Whatever they're doing it's not good enough. Sorry most if not all on here haven't got a spare two mill to lend the club to tie it up for two decades or more. You keep forgetting that some have tried to work with John and it hasn't worked out because they don't agree with John and it may surprise you to find out that there are several on here who have offered their services for free to the club and been turned down. So that long old worn out argument of John having a go and no one else can have a say won't wash after 17 years.

Aye. Just look at what happened to the last two people with money to spare tried. Mike Parker and  Lee Mullen. Both left after a relatively short period. As Oscar Wilde didn't say, but would have if he'd come from Grimsby, to lose one millionaire football club investor looks unfortunate, to lose two looks like carelessness.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 11, 2018, 7:43am; Reply: 95

That's because there's a £2 million roadblock preventing any other investor coming in. As others have said, Mike Parker tried, so did Lee Mullen. Well into a second decade of failure and there's still people backing the board - if they had been in charge of a PLC, they would have gone long ago.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 11, 2018, 8:22am; Reply: 96
Quoted from nightrider
I remember being in the Pontoon for the game when John Fenty had just taken over
Numerous people walking up to him to shake his hand and tell him how wonderful he was.
It took him a long time to walk across the stand that day. Hailed as the messiah by the fans that greeted him. How times change  ;D
Now it might take him a while to walk across the front of the Pontoon but for a different reason!

Poor bloke. He just wants his money back! 2million and he'll be gone. Without it, never!

I think there is an argument that his initial investment, subsequent loans and his "safety net" of money if we have a very bad year have been the price to pay for being in complete control of a professional club, and all the kudos (and yes brickbats) that brings.

He has run the club in his own image. He has enjoyed what limited success we have had and milked it (Bournemouth, Tottenham and Wembley) and has enjoyed the trappings of his position, both within football and the wider community (not all people like him but most will have heard of him) which will have helped him.

The money he feels he is owed is a lot for the majority of us, but peanuts in football terms and it was his decision alone to use his money as he wanted. It has not worked, in fact that is the most understated thing I have ever written - it has been a complete and utter disaster from every measure you want to use and shows no signs of letting up. He has to take responsibility for the state the club is in and not live any more on the fact that he was rich enough to step in all those years ago.

We (the fans and the community of Grimsby and Cleethorpes) deserve much better than this; on the field we have stagnated for years and off the field it is even worse, with dated facilities no new stadium or much chance of one and a tired stale board that don't seem to have any ideas or investment between them.

Time to go and let the club recover its soul.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 11, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 97
Our one success in Fenty's reign was Hurst,

Who after getting us back in the league could not get away quick enough.

His parting shot was  " It will be nice to work for honest people "

I would dread to think what some of the other Managers would have said to Fenty if they had the chance,

Mr Newell ( let me straighten your tie )
or
Mr ( fruit loop ) Bignot

For instance.

;D ;D
Posted by: Barrattstander, September 11, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That's because there's a £2 million roadblock preventing any other investor coming in. As others have said, Mike Parker tried, so did Lee Mullen. Well into a second decade of failure and there's still people backing the board - if they had been in charge of a PLC, they would have gone long ago.

Grimsby Town Football Club IS a plc.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 11, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Barrattstander

Grimsby Town Football Club IS a plc.

I think he means ones where the chairman doesn't have a controlling interest in the company.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 11, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from grimsby pete
Our one success in Fenty's reign was Hurst,

Who after getting us back in the league could not get away quick enough.

His parting shot was  " It will be nice to work for honest people "

I would dread to think what some of the other Managers would have said to Fenty if they had the chance,

Mr Newell ( let me straighten your tie )
or
Mr ( fruit loop ) Bignot

For instance.

;D ;D

Ask Shrewsbury fans how honest Hurst is, after doing a Slade on them, just before a play-off final. What happened to Shouty? got a deputy Doig now,

Posted by: Marinerz93, September 11, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 101

It's ok having balls to sit round the table but when those balls are old and saggy you end up with over a decade of failure with no signs of improvement or belief.
Posted by: pizzzza, September 14, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from barralad

Is this news still coming this week? I'm interested to hear it.
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from pizzzza

Is this news still coming this week? I'm interested to hear it.

Fair point. The proposals coming out of the meetings the Trust had with the club involving SD were broadly agreed at this weeks meeting of the club board. We will be ratifying minor amendments at our Trust board meeting tomorrow and will then issue a joint statement. I suspect with the time constraints upon us and the club regrettably it will be early next week but it is coming!! Obviously I cannot go into further detail at this point in time
Posted by: pizzzza, September 14, 2018, 7:58pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from barralad

Fair point. The proposals coming out of the meetings the Trust had with the club involving SD were broadly agreed at this weeks meeting of the club board. We will be ratifying minor amendments at our Trust board meeting tomorrow and will then issue a joint statement. I suspect with the time constraints upon us and the club regrettably it will be early next week but it is coming!! Obviously I cannot go into further detail at this point in time

Good stuff, thanks for the info.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2018, 9:05pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Ask Shrewsbury fans how honest Hurst is, after doing a Slade on them, just before a play-off final. What happened to Shouty? got a deputy Doig now,

Don't have to ask them I know the little git is a liar.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 106
Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Club is rotten to the core. Now the manager is as clueless as the board.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 16, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from barralad

Shouldn’t it be the members who should be agreeing any proposals rather than everything go through the club first?
Posted by: barralad, September 16, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Cloudy

Shouldn’t it be the members who should be agreeing any proposals rather than everything go through the club first?

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at but the proposals came out of meetings the club had with the Trust under the guidance of Supporters Direct . Those meetings were set up to discuss the way forward based on what our members told us in the survey. Under those conditions it would seem sensible for both the Trust and the club to agree before it goes public. No doubt the finished article will please some and upset others... twas ever thus.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 16, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Cloudy

Its a faux Trust really isn't it? In my eyes at least a trust should be challenging, questioning and the voice of the long suffering fans.

Fenty must be laughing his socks off at just how ineffectual the Trust are in holding him to account.
Posted by: H19P1, September 16, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 110
Fenty will walk
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 16, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from H19P1
Fenty will walk

Under what conditions though ? That’s the key thing does he want out or out out
Posted by: barralad, September 16, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 112

Its a faux Trust really isn't it? In my eyes at least a trust should be challenging, questioning and the voice of the long suffering fans.

Fenty must be laughing his socks off at just how ineffectual the Trust are in holding him to account.

We issued a survey. The members (and others) replied to that survey and told us what they wanted to happen. Armed with that information we went to the club with the help of S.D.  with a view to implementing the results of the survey. It has taken far longer than it should but precisely what else would you have wanted us to do. It's not that long ago that we were (rightly in some respects) getting pilloried for not acting on the survey.  I perhaps should have known that with the current toxic atmosphere answering to the best of my ability what was a reasonable question from Pizzzza was risky.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 16, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from barralad

We issued a survey. The members (and others) replied to that survey and told us what they wanted to happen. Armed with that information we went to the club with the help of S.D.  with a view to implementing the results of the survey. It has taken far longer than it should but precisely what else would you have wanted us to do. It's not that long ago that we were (rightly in some respects) getting pilloried for not acting on the survey.  I perhaps should have known that with the current toxic atmosphere answering to the best of my ability what was a reasonable question from Pizzzza was risky.

My post was more of a general one - I wasn't referring to any survey you may have done.

Volunteers always have my admiration, but in view of the long term stagnation, indeed decline in all aspects of the club under Fenty's tenure I just cannot understand how a fans voice can go so easy on him. There should be orchestrated moves to get him out, not giving him the cloak of respectability for his appalling record.

Surely things must come to a head soon? How many more years of Fenty failings are we supposed to endure? It is just ridiculous.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 16, 2018, 8:20pm; Reply: 114

My post was more of a general one - I wasn't referring to any survey you may have done.

Volunteers always have my admiration, but in view of the long term stagnation, indeed decline in all aspects of the club under Fenty's tenure I just cannot understand how a fans voice can go so easy on him. There should be orchestrated moves to get him out, not giving him the cloak of respectability for his appalling record.

Surely things must come to a head soon? How many more years of Fenty failings are we supposed to endure? It is just ridiculous.

To be fair to the volunteers there are still plenty of fans who seem to be very supportive of Fenty, people shaking his hand towards the end of last season, patting him in his bat thanking him for our survival.
I must stress that I am not in anyway supportive of his reign but the issue with a fans group is that they have to represent ALL the fans and I wouldn’t wish that task on anyone
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2018, 8:26pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Cloudy

To be fair to the volunteers there are still plenty of fans who seem to be very supportive of Fenty, people shaking his hand towards the end of last season, patting him in his bat thanking him for our survival.
I must stress that I am not in anyway supportive of his reign but the issue with a fans group is that they have to represent ALL the fans and I wouldn’t wish that task on anyone

I don't think it would be reasonable to expect the Trust to do any more vis-a-vis the questionnaire. Patting him in his bat is a new one on me however.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 16, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Cloudy

Yes that is a fair point. I often have various spats with fans who still support him despite everything and I am at a loss as to understand why.Perhaps it is a reluctance to change your stance after backing him in the early years. We see this a lot with managers don't we - people tend to have a settled view on a manager from the off.

All the available evidence suggests Fenty has been a disaster. I will always give him credit for putting his hand in his pocket when we needed it all those years ago, but there has to be more than that surely, for him to garner any support? Many of us die-hards are getting to the end of our collective tethers to make a go of it even in League 2.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 16, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 117
Footballing Stockholm syndrome and a fear of the unknown.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2018, 8:56pm; Reply: 118
No disrespect to the Trust but by the time this announcement is made we will almost be due another survey.
Posted by: realist, September 16, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 119
So the members of the trust are the last to find out.? Not really a supporters based trust is it. A small clique doing what they want
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 17, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 120
Quoted from realist
So the members of the trust are the last to find out.? Not really a supporters based trust is it. A small clique doing what they want

And loads of us are dying for you to set up an alternative group we can join what with you having all the answers we should be Championship within 5 year`s in a nice shiny stadium.

realist ONE VISION :)
Posted by: realist, September 17, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 121
The Trust board needs the authority to make day to day decisions on behalf of the members which is perfectly reasonable.
However, what appears to be major change on the result of the survey should as a bare minimum be shared with the membership and possibly voted on.
Instead we have an agreement already made by those that know better than us all signed and sealed before the membership even knows what it entails.
Was it barralad that threatened to spill the beans at the end of last season but suddenly lost his voice? Is it true that the trust board member is in fentys pocket?  And you expect a bit of support and respect? Show a bit less contempt for the membership and you might get it.
Posted by: Ipswin, September 17, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from H19P1
Fenty will walk

Around his snooker table table and pot the blue in the middle pocket

Posted by: friskneymariner, September 17, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 123
No it was Bax ,never did tell us what he was going to at the end of the season.
Posted by: barralad, September 17, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from realist
The Trust board needs the authority to make day to day decisions on behalf of the members which is perfectly reasonable.
However, what appears to be major change on the result of the survey should as a bare minimum be shared with the membership and possibly voted on.
Instead we have an agreement already made by those that know better than us all signed and sealed before the membership even knows what it entails.
Was it barralad that threatened to spill the beans at the end of last season but suddenly lost his voice? Is it true that the trust board member is in fentys pocket?  And you expect a bit of support and respect? Show a bit less contempt for the membership and you might get it.

Spill the beans? About what? We ran a survey. A significant proportion of our members completed the survey and instructed us as to what sort of change they wanted to see. Armed with that information we approached the club to seek a solution. The results of those meetings will appear as the statement ASAP because we are consccious of how long it has taken.
On the subject of respect I won't be taking  any lessons anytime soon from someone who snipes anonymously from behind a keyboard. My name is Ian Townsend. I'm the Treasurer of the Trust. What's your name?
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Footballing Stockholm syndrome and a fear of the unknown.

Once read a book on Stockholm syndrome. It started badly, but I quite liked it in the end.
Posted by: realist, September 17, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from barralad

Spill the beans? About what? We ran a survey. A significant proportion of our members completed the survey and instructed us as to what sort of change they wanted to see. Armed with that information we approached the club to seek a solution. The results of those meetings will appear as the statement ASAP because we are consccious of how long it has taken.
On the subject of respect I won't be taking  any lessons anytime soon from someone who snipes anonymously from behind a keyboard. My name is Ian Townsend. I'm the Treasurer of the Trust. What's your name?

My apologies another poster has corrected me it was Bax and not you.
My name is John Taylor. There you go, can I post reasoned critism now without you calling it sniping?

Posted by: chaos33, September 17, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 127
Make it factual and balanced and nobody will deny you the right.
Posted by: barralad, September 17, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from realist

My name is John Taylor. There you go, can I post reasoned critism now without you calling it sniping?

Yes . So much better dealing with a name.
Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2018, 12:24am; Reply: 129
Quoted from realist

I'll readily accept that you made a genuine mistake when you stated that I promised to spill the beans. What I find harder to accept and this is where perhaps my definition of reasoned criticism and yours diverge is your view that the current members of the Trust Board somehow think that we know better than the members. If that was the case we would've ignored the survey findings. Instead we were put in a position well outside of the comfort zone of a lot of us because despite what some people would want others to think there were very few of the questions asked that had overwhelming support for a particular course of action. That is why we involved S.D. in the first place. We had just short of 700 responses a percentage of which were sent in by non-members so in reality probably less than 500 members actually replied. Some people have very strong views on some of the subjects raised in the survey. As the representatives of the fans we cannot treat any of the views
as being less important than others so our response to anything will often be in the nature of compromise in order to try to satisfy as many as possible. As I've said before I'm not prepared to pre-empt the issue of the MOU as referred to in the newsletter issued tonight and put on this site by Skaface. I'm sure that whatever the outcome is it will not please everyone. Those that aren't pleased will then have a decision to make-Enter into the spirit of compromise or either, if they are actually a member withdraw from the Trust or carry on being unhappy. It really is that simple. You hit the nail on the head with your initial sentence. The current set up of the Trust Board relies entirely on volunteers who want to make a difference. Trust me when I say there are no perks and there is no kudos from being involved with the Supporters Trust of a team towards the bottom end of the league pyramid. We are an easy target for people who perhaps want to cause mischief but the bottom line is that without a large influx of resources we are going to continue to try to represent members and the fans at large but only as far as those resources allow. In short anyone who thinks that the Trust board are going to resort to costly and time consuming all-member votes on issues is living in cloud cuckoo land. In a democracy you elect people to act on your behalf. If you aren't happy with those you elect then you have the option once a year to register your disapproval by voting some of them out and, who knows stepping up to the plate themselves. We haven't had our full complement of Board members for most of the last two years. If anyone is still awake after reading that then my final point (and I do realise that you asked a question) is that being on the Board of a PLC football club is a job I wouldn't have if you paid me a six figure salary. Jon Wood has to balance a very demanding day job with the boardroom. It doesn't take much to imagine how hard that role has been given the turmoil on and off the pitch over the past year or so and the angle that Jon as fans rep. has had to approach the role from.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2018, 1:01am; Reply: 130
Excellent post Barra. I have criticised some of the decisions and actions of the Trust board (and the Trust membership to be fair, when it came to the shares issue), and I've disagreed with you personally on issues and probably even been a bit more barbed than I should have been at times. But though things are not ideal, I think most members would agree that it's infinitely better to have the Trust as it is than not to have it.

So thank you for your time and efforts, and thank you for being bothered enough to come on here and engage with people in a civilised and non-patronising fashion. You always come across as calm and level-headed*.

* but it's nice to see a bit of passion come across in your post tonight   ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2018, 6:45am; Reply: 131
Quoted from barralad

I'll readily accept that you made a genuine mistake when you stated that I promised to spill the beans. What I find harder to accept and this is where perhaps my definition of reasoned criticism and yours diverge is your view that the current members of the Trust Board somehow think that we know better than the members. If that was the case we would've ignored the survey findings. Instead we were put in a position well outside of the comfort zone of a lot of us because despite what some people would want others to think there were very few of the questions asked that had overwhelming support for a particular course of action. That is why we involved S.D. in the first place. We had just short of 700 responses a percentage of which were sent in by non-members so in reality probably less than 500 members actually replied. Some people have very strong views on some of the subjects raised in the survey. As the representatives of the fans we cannot treat any of the views
as being less important than others so our response to anything will often be in the nature of compromise in order to try to satisfy as many as possible. As I've said before I'm not prepared to pre-empt the issue of the MOU as referred to in the newsletter issued tonight and put on this site by Skaface. I'm sure that whatever the outcome is it will not please everyone. Those that aren't pleased will then have a decision to make-Enter into the spirit of compromise or either, if they are actually a member withdraw from the Trust or carry on being unhappy. It really is that simple. You hit the nail on the head with your initial sentence. The current set up of the Trust Board relies entirely on volunteers who want to make a difference. Trust me when I say there are no perks and there is no kudos from being involved with the Supporters Trust of a team towards the bottom end of the league pyramid. We are an easy target for people who perhaps want to cause mischief but the bottom line is that without a large influx of resources we are going to continue to try to represent members and the fans at large but only as far as those resources allow. In short anyone who thinks that the Trust board are going to resort to costly and time consuming all-member votes on issues is living in cloud cuckoo land. In a democracy you elect people to act on your behalf. If you aren't happy with those you elect then you have the option once a year to register your disapproval by voting some of them out and, who knows stepping up to the plate themselves. We haven't had our full complement of Board members for most of the last two years. If anyone is still awake after reading that then my final point (and I do realise that you asked a question) is that being on the Board of a PLC football club is a job I wouldn't have if you paid me a six figure salary. Jon Wood has to balance a very demanding day job with the boardroom. It doesn't take much to imagine how hard that role has been given the turmoil on and off the pitch over the past year or so and the angle that Jon as fans rep. has had to approach the role from.

Barra - it's a very good & thorough explanation but does bring up one simple question - does Jon Wood actually believe that he can make a difference? In other words, is the seat on the board worth the hassle?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 18, 2018, 7:31am; Reply: 132
I don’t think it matters who represents the trust in the boardroom, having seen the board operate at a fans forum publicly I can only assume their only job is to make the tea and nod in the right places.  Shutttt upppp
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 18, 2018, 10:17am; Reply: 133
A fans Trust working with a clubs board is a great idea -  if that board consists of a set of directors who have a philosophy for the club, and have the energy and investment to make it happen and are actively looking to broaden their involvement with the local community  . A board like that would genuinely believe it is better if they have the fans onside, through a Trust representative, and are willing to work actively with them for the betterment of all.

That is not we have got here though is it? A stale board, with next to no inward investment see the Trust as a necessarily evil, to be endured so it looks like they care one jot about the fans.

In our situation the Trust should be working from the outside, to demand answers from the board as to what they are planning to do to get the extra investment we need; what they are going to do about the work that needs doing to BP and an update on any relocation plans. I read a Trust statement last night which seemed to suggest they are getting impatient for news on anything to do with the club which is understandable,  so my advice would be to re form and become a force for good and get the fans onside to start demanding some answers to questions that have been unanswered for far too long.

We have been patient; we are still loyal to the club despite everything, but trying to work with the current board will not work in my opinion.
Posted by: golfer, September 18, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 134
Quoted from realist

" Are you fking famous or somatt "  quote  ;)
Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Barra - it's a very good & thorough explanation but does bring up one simple question - does Jon Wood actually believe that he can make a difference? In other words, is the seat on the board worth the hassle?

This was what I alluded to in my post. The margins between  those who believe we should step away from the Board and those who believe that a presence can only be beneficial are quite tight. It's not a secret that Supporters Direct have told us that a lot of Trusts out there are envious of the access we have. I suppose when you look at clubs like Blackpool and Charlton where the fans REALLY are seen as "the enemy" it's not hard to see why that envy exists.
If the Trust didn't believe we were in a position to make a difference then we'd have pulled the plug ages ago. It's not up to me to speak for Jon but the fact that he chooses to continue with his GTFC work despite his heavy real job commitments should speak volumes.
Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 136
A fans Trust working with a clubs board is a great idea -  if that board consists of a set of directors who have a philosophy for the club, and have the energy and investment to make it happen and are actively looking to broaden their involvement with the local community  . A board like that would genuinely believe it is better if they have the fans onside, through a Trust representative, and are willing to work actively with them for the betterment of all.

That is not we have got here though is it? A stale board, with next to no inward investment see the Trust as a necessarily evil, to be endured so it looks like they care one jot about the fans.

In our situation the Trust should be working from the outside, to demand answers from the board as to what they are planning to do to get the extra investment we need; what they are going to do about the work that needs doing to BP and an update on any relocation plans. I read a Trust statement last night which seemed to suggest they are getting impatient for news on anything to do with the club which is understandable,  so my advice would be to re form and become a force for good and get the fans onside to start demanding some answers to questions that have been unanswered for far too long.

We have been patient; we are still loyal to the club despite everything, but trying to work with the current board will not work in my opinion.

I think this is an excellent post which articulates very well the stand point of those who believe the Trust are better off outside of the Board. As someone who is committed to the opposite view I would simply ask-If the situation is really that bad then what "clout" would a Trust completely alienated have to get answers to those questions? There is a decent proportion of the fanbase that would agree with you but I speak to lots of fans who think maintaining (after having obtained) a place on the Board of GTFC is after Operation Promotion the Trust's biggest achievement.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 18, 2018, 12:31pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from barralad

This was what I alluded to in my post. The margins between  those who believe we should step away from the Board and those who believe that a presence can only be beneficial are quite tight. It's not a secret that Supporters Direct have told us that a lot of Trusts out there are envious of the access we have. I suppose when you look at clubs like Blackpool and Charlton where the fans REALLY are seen as "the enemy" it's not hard to see why that envy exists.
If the Trust didn't believe we were in a position to make a difference then we'd have pulled the plug ages ago. It's not up to me to speak for Jon but the fact that he chooses to continue with his GTFC work despite his heavy real job commitments should speak volumes.

The big question is.. what difference is the Trust board trying to make? What is the end goal? I'm none the wiser and I'm sure all Trust members are the same because we've never been told what the key objectives of the Trust are.. A mission statement would be a start..

Until then, no one can have a clue whether having a Trust member on the board of GTFC is a going to have any positive influence on the Trust achieving its key objectives..
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, September 18, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 138
As a non member of the Trust may I ask someone who is what are the 5 best/major achievement's they have gained for the supporters since being on the board please?

Posted by: Bigdog, September 18, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
As a non member of the Trust may I ask someone who is what are the 5 best/major achievement's they have gained for the supporters since being on the board please?

OP
Bragate
Kristine SLO
Youth funding
Running of the bars at the ground
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from barralad

I think this is an excellent post which articulates very well the stand point of those who believe the Trust are better off outside of the Board. As someone who is committed to the opposite view I would simply ask-If the situation is really that bad then what "clout" would a Trust completely alienated have to get answers to those questions? There is a decent proportion of the fanbase that would agree with you but I speak to lots of fans who think maintaining (after having obtained) a place on the Board of GTFC is after Operation Promotion the Trust's biggest achievement.

I totally agree with you regarding Operation Promotion - sadly, someone who matters said that 'it's the worst thing that happened to the club'
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 18, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from barralad

I would argue Barra, that a completely alienated Trust would not be under any pressure to ‘Toe the party line’ in any way shape or form.  My feeling at the moment is that the membership of the board is nothing more than a token gesture, but as a board member they have to observe certain protocol.  Thus ruling out direct action as such toward the current ownership.
The difference between JF and the Oystens etc is that JF is a local man and an egotist.  He doesn’t like being shown up. The likes of you and me have seen far more grief given to boards in the past than JF has even come close to. If concerted action was lead by the trust and organised with the efficiency they have certainly shown they are capable of, then I do believe JF would be forced to somehow react.  At the moment though, he still gets to do whatever he wants virtually unopposed and without much fuss.
I realise views differ. But on a personal level, I would be far more supportive of a trust on the outside banging loudly on the window. Than on the inside whispering their objections pretty much unheard.
Posted by: realist, September 18, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 142
Fair comment. Thank you for the detailed response
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 18, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from barralad

You must know that with this current board, there is next to no chance of anything been done that does not reflect the view of the "board." If it was me I would stop flogging a dead horse and change tactic.

The board owe you nothing; you have tried hard with limited resources but you are, and will continue to bang your head against a brick wall.

Harness the power of the fans in general, say you are quitting the board and use your time to orchestrate fans boycotts of games (yes I would go that far) and other direct action  as only hurting the current board in the pocket will make them reconsider their position.

Evolution has not worked and never will with the current incumbent. We need a strong united voice against the board and let them know the current situation (I am talking about many seasons in the doldrums and in non league not Michael Jolley who I am sure is doing his best) is not good enough by a long shot.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 18, 2018, 1:06pm; Reply: 144

You must know that with this current board, there is next to no chance of anything been done that does not reflect the view of the "board." If it was me I would stop flogging a dead horse and change tactic.

The board owe you nothing; you have tried hard with limited resources but you are, and will continue to bang your head against a brick wall.

Harness the power of the fans in general, say you are quitting the board and use your time to orchestrate fans boycotts of games (yes I would go that far) and other direct action  as only hurting the current board in the pocket will make them reconsider their position.

Evolution has not worked and never will with the current incumbent. We need a strong united voice against the board and let them know the current situation (I am talking about many seasons in the doldrums and in non league not Michael Jolley who I am sure is doing his best) is not good enough by a long shot.

As Barralad pointed out there are as many fans who value the seat on the board as those who think leaving and organising boycotts of games is the way forward.
How on earth they represent such varied opinions is beyond me. It has to be impossible doesnt it?

I do understand about 'harnessing the power of the fans' but in which direction?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 18, 2018, 1:12pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Cloudy

As Barralad pointed out there are as many fans who value the seat on the board as those who think leaving and organising boycotts of games is the way forward.
How on earth they represent such varied opinions is beyond me. It has to be impossible doesnt it?

I do understand about 'harnessing the power of the fans' but in which direction?

That's the same for all democracies though isn't it? People get elected on "tickets" or policies and then hopefully act roughly along the lines of what they promised until they get kicked out. The Trust don't need to keep everyone happy, just the majority.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 18, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Civvy at last

I would argue Barra, that a completely alienated Trust would not be under any pressure to ‘Toe the party line’ in any way shape or form.  My feeling at the moment is that the membership of the board is nothing more than a token gesture, but as a board member they have to observe certain protocol.  Thus ruling out direct action as such toward the current ownership.
The difference between JF and the Oystens etc is that JF is a local man and an egotist.  He doesn’t like being shown up. The likes of you and me have seen far more grief given to boards in the past than JF has even come close to. If concerted action was lead by the trust and organised with the efficiency they have certainly shown they are capable of, then I do believe JF would be forced to somehow react.  At the moment though, he still gets to do whatever he wants virtually unopposed and without much fuss.
I realise views differ. But on a personal level, I would be far more supportive of a trust on the outside banging loudly on the window. Than on the inside whispering their objections pretty much unheard.

Whilst I totally agree with this, it's surely up to the Trust Board and their Club director as to whether or not they are having an impact significant enough to justify their efforts.

For what it's worth, I am totally against boycotts but if it takes one for people to air their disenchantment with umpteen years of malaise then so be it.
Posted by: golfer, September 18, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 147
If I chose not to go I wouldn't but I definitely wouldn't boycott
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 18, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 148
Whilst not denigrating all the hard work the individual members of the Trust do ,I do feel their admittance to the Board is tokenistic and cynically used as an example of supporter participation,when in reality their influence is non existent

I think the Trust need to step back and reflect on just what they are achieving other than legitimising a regime that is failing.
Posted by: Helgy, September 18, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 149
I'd say keep your distance but remain on the board be independent  Lincolns Trust started off well then was used as a vehicle to promote peoples self interests its dying out now torn apart by in fighting and fans mistrust of it.

Instead of raising funds they sat back on past glories lesson to be learned there, my opinion is you  need to raise the money buy shares and then increase your input on how the club is run.
Also have safe guards in place so its always fan led not just people wanting the social status of a place on the board.

Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, September 18, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 150
A lot of it is about luck too, Going back a few years lots wanted Dorrian out from Lincoln, not particularly because he was a bad person, but he made poor decision after poor decision.

He then came across Clive Nates and the rest is history, clearly Clive is a very high profile businessman, and he has managed to further get good people at the club. As Helgy said safe guarding the future is the main thing.

Even when we lose our management duo, I am less worried, because the infrastructure we have now will mean we chose our next manager from a better pot than we used to chose from.

I don't think it helps that you don't actually know what is required to get JF to leave - Has he actually said?
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, September 18, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from Bigdog

OP
Bragate
Kristine SLO
Youth funding
Running of the bars at the ground

Thank you, so with these in mind, what is the overall objective of the Trust and how do these 5 fit into the strategy to achieve it?
Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Helgy
I'd say keep your distance but remain on the board be independent  Lincolns Trust started off well then was used as a vehicle to promote peoples self interests its dying out now torn apart by in fighting and fans mistrust of it.

Instead of raising funds they sat back on past glories lesson to be learned there, my opinion is you  need to raise the money buy shares and then increase your input on how the club is run.
Also have safe guards in place so its always fan led not just people wanting the social status of a place on the board.

I agree with this.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 18, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 153
Interesting points from the two Lincoln fans.

I think the key thing is the point that nealeardleyscrossing raises: what are the conditions for Fenty to leave. I am convinced if the fans knew this, interest in the Trust would increase and we could all work towards how we find this sum.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Cloudy

If I remember right, your Trust was founded when the club was in dire financial difficulty and was at one time the major shareholder having saved the club from extinction. For a number of years afterwards, Lincoln became one of the few clubs that made a profit. Have I remembered it wrongly?

I seem to recall your then Trust chairman/club chairman talking at a meeting we held in Cleethorpes Memorial Hall when the idea of the Town trust was presented.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Cloudy

Some of us want both.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 18, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Thank you, so with these in mind, what is the overall objective of the Trust and how do these 5 fit into the strategy to achieve it?

Don't ask me, I'm still waiting to find out myself..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2018, 8:45pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Bigdog

Don't ask me, I'm still waiting to find out myself..

I was going to say 'you could read what it says on the Trust website' but it doesn't seem to say as much as it used to in terms of aims and objectives.

The other way of looking at it is what do you think it should be?
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:34pm