Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 26, 2018, 11:17am

Notts County have announced that Kevin Nolan has been sacked as head coach of the League Two outfit.

The Magpies have only taken one point from their first five matches of the 2018-19 League Two campaign, with that disappointing start leaving them bottom of the table.

Nolan has been relieved of his duties in the wake of Saturday's 3-1 defeat by Lincoln City, while assistant manager Richard Thomas has also left the club.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 1
You don't get long in the modern game, especially if the club has chucked a load of money at it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 26, 2018, 11:30am; Reply: 2
Now now, I wonder how long it will be before the Cowleys are mentioned as potential replacements....oh, I just have!!!...
Talk about not giving a team the chance to "gel"....christ, it's getting ridiculous now, 4 games and it's "see ya later"...thank god the one thing we do us give our managers a fair crack of the whip and maybe the rolling 6 month contracts we give them.isn't a bad idea after all...
Posted by: RoboCod, August 26, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 3
Agreed, we all like to see patience given to managers and avoid unrealistic demands for instant success, especially in the early stages of the season when you're perhaps trying to turn things around.
But the obscene amount that some clubs (ie Notts C)  throw at a new manager and set of players is so enormous that it really should show some kind of instant success, even if it's a couple of wins with perhaps a couple of stumbles along the way but obvious signs of it coming together.
Notts just seem to be a shockingly bad mishmash of players employed on high wages.
Posted by: MarinerRob, August 26, 2018, 11:37am; Reply: 4
But it could be argued that Notts County has more potential than Lincoln even with their Nottingham Forest neighbours. However, it will be a brave person (s) to give up a good job to go there.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 26, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 5
Quoted from RoboCod
Agreed, we all like to see patience given to managers and avoid unrealistic demands for instant success, especially in the early stages of the season when you're perhaps trying to turn things around.
But the obscene amount that some clubs (ie Notts C)  throw at a new manager and set of players is so enormous that it really should show some kind of instant success, even if it's a couple of wins with perhaps a couple of stumbles along the way but obvious signs of it coming together.
Notts just seem to be a shockingly bad mishmash of players employed on high wages.

Well, in hindsight I do agree with the sentiment that when you spend a lot of money on assets you should expect instant returns for your investment and, without back tracking, you only need to look down the road at Lincoln and on the opposite end of the spectrum is Scunthorpe who have cashed in on their valuable assets and replaced with poundworld players....and look what's happened there...
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 26, 2018, 11:40am; Reply: 6
Maybe they'll go for the Yeovil manager who stuffed them the other week (which would be nicely disruptive for Yeovil heading into the next game)
Posted by: rancido, August 26, 2018, 11:41am; Reply: 7
Quoted from RoboCod

In football you can never guarantee success , just put the odds in your favour. I don't know much about Notts C set up but I would imagine Nolan brought in players during the summer to fit in with a game plan he had for the season. Take that manager away, bring in a different one and those plans are instantly thrown out the window. Unless the new manager buys into the previous ones philosophy then you have a set of players who might not suit the new ones playing style.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 26, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 8
Ex town defender Steve Chettle has been placed as one of the caretaker managers. Interesting that he was only appointed full time first team coach last week too.

With relegated players such as Kellett and Dennis from Chesterfield, the recruitment was all wrong. He was well respected as a captain on the field and had some ex colleagues playing for him last season such as Alan Smith and Shola Ameobi. With these now gone, he may not command the respect he did last season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Ex town defender Steve Chettle has been placed as one of the caretaker managers. Interesting that he was only appointed full time first team coach last week too.

With relegated players such as Kellett and Dennis from Chesterfield, the recruitment was all wrong. He was well respected as a captain on the field and had some ex colleagues playing for him last season such as Alan Smith and Shola Ameobi. With these now gone, he may not command the respect he did last season.

We signed Whitmore and I would have Kellett here in a heartbeat.
Posted by: RoboCod, August 26, 2018, 11:51am; Reply: 10
Quoted from rancido

In football you can never guarantee success , just put the odds in your favour. I don't know much about Notts C set up but I would imagine Nolan brought in players during the summer to fit in with a game plan he had for the season. Take that manager away, bring in a different one and those plans are instantly thrown out the window. Unless the new manager buys into the previous ones philosophy then you have a set of players who might not suit the new ones playing style.

I too can only go along with what I see and read of their season but after 5 games you must show something, even the smallest glimmer that things are pulling around. But for one of the seasons favourites to concede 16 goals in the opening 5 games is rather concerning and possibly suggests that, as you mention, the manager and players are not buying into each other's ways at all and pulling the plug this quickly was right for once.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 26, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 11
Bye.
Posted by: buckstown, August 26, 2018, 11:56am; Reply: 12
I think it depends on why they're losing. If it's because he's upset the players better to get rid early, even though it's only four games. They recruited well in my opinion and should be doing ok in league 2
Posted by: oldun, August 26, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 13
I thought Kellett looked very good when he played here last season. However we have recruited well in midfield, just a pity we have lost Whitehouse,
Posted by: conocoloco, August 26, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Good observation!

Looking at authority and respect as a sliding scale, a reduction wouldn't take long to be evident on the pitch. I think the decisive nature of the sacking would suggest this. A board would allow time for tactical development and evolution, loss of authority would be treated more urgently.    
Posted by: chaos33, August 26, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
You don't get long in the modern game, especially if the club has chucked a load of money at it.

Which probably accounts for why Slade was given an age - our board haven't caught up with 'the modern game' yet, and we'd certainly not 'chucked money at it'.  :)
Posted by: Helgy, August 26, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 16
Very disjointed County team had a shaky enough back four but RB & CH went off injured 1st half.
Lost too many good players the lad on loan from Forest carried them and they were ordinary without him.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 26, 2018, 4:06pm; Reply: 17
Hardly suprising, they were dog poo under Nolan, awful Allardyce esque style of play , in our games last season they looked terrible IMO....only won 8 of the last 28 league games so its not just about the 4/5 games this season.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 26, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 18
Maybe they’ll go for slade ;D
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 26, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 19
Awful style of football. Good investment, absolutely terrible results after four games. It's clear they were in a mess already. They've made the change at the right time, that or the could have gone 26 games without a win, then appointed Neil Woods. Right change, hoofball is hopefully dead and for a good reason.
Posted by: Helgy, August 27, 2018, 8:56am; Reply: 20
Notts director resigned yesterday not looking good for them.
Posted by: Youngy, August 27, 2018, 9:45am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Helgy
Notts director resigned yesterday not looking good for them.

Looking like another Hartlepool situation for them
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 27, 2018, 10:05am; Reply: 22
Maybe they will give sol Campbell the job
Posted by: Tommy, August 27, 2018, 10:10am; Reply: 23
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Maybe they will give sol Campbell the job

And sack him after one game just like when he walked out on them after playing one game for them years ago.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 27, 2018, 10:37am; Reply: 24
Just to give some balance. I think Nolan was appointed around new year 2017 about the time we beat them easily at BP. Several people at the time commented as to how they were absolutely abysmal and looked to be in the same state as us when we fell out the league. Nolan saved them from relegation and turned them round in a couple of months.the following season he took them from being nailed on for relegation to participants in the play offs.
Nothing like a bit of gratitude.......
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 27, 2018, 10:54am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Tommy

And sack him after one game just like when he walked out on them after playing one game for them years ago.

Oh yeah forgot he signed for them 😂
Posted by: Croxton, August 27, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 26
Only just realised that owner Hardy also rescued Ilkeston Town. Smart set up and lovely playing surface for County reserves. Nolan was fine last year then lost his way after losing Yates to Scunny. Hardy has high expectations after spending so much cash and some fans already tipping Bowyer.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 28, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 27
Notts have asked Crawley for permission to speak to Harry Kewell. Also approached Wimbledon for permission to speak to Neal Ardley.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45331138
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings
Notts have asked Crawley for permission to speak to Harry Kewell. Also approached Wimbledon for permission to speak to Neal Ardley.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45331138

I think Kewell try’s to play a ‘top level style’ with lower ability players and that leads to inconsistency.
Are Notts players at a higher level than Crawleys?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 28, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 29
Ardley must be one of the longest serving managers now Tisdale has left Exeter.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 28, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Ardley must be one of the longest serving managers now Tisdale has left Exeter.

Currently 3rd longest after Jim Bentley (Morecambe) and Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe), although Ainsworth was caretaker manager when Ardley was appointed, so you could say that Ardley is the 2nd longest permanent manager.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 31, 2018, 1:02pm; Reply: 31
Kewell the new County manager.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45361485
Posted by: chaos33, August 31, 2018, 1:05pm; Reply: 32
Pinched him from Crawley then. Must have upped his wages significantly. He made some good signing for Crawley.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 12:51pm