Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 19, 2018, 3:59am
I'm not suggesting this, but merely offering up the point for debate.

Do we think Danny Collins would be better as a squad player, offering his experience to the younger players from within the squad rather than the first XI, and allowing someone like Famewo to take up the reigns?

Already this season we've seen Danny make a couple of little mistake that have lead to goals that we didn't necessarily see last season.

Is this a sign of his age getting to him?
Posted by: lukeo, August 19, 2018, 6:50am; Reply: 1
Famewo to me was our weakness 1st half defensively. Right in front of me several times he miss controlled, lost the ball, lost a challenge or missed a challenge. But going forward he was great, drove with intent. I came onto here and see he usually plays cb? Could have easily mistaken him for a winger!
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2018, 7:13am; Reply: 2
I like DC a lot, but age catches up with all of us. I'm not saying his legs have gone, primarily because i hate that phrase, but he has had one or two senior moments lately. Overall though, i still think he is capable of playing in this league and his reading of the game, and obvious natural fitness, make up for any advancing age problems that may be creeping into his game. I think he is just starting to edge his bets a little in terms of positioning to compensate, and every now and again, it will catch him out. But for me, his benefits still outweigh any perceived deficiencies. Him and Whitmore won just about everything in the air yesterday and on the deck, against a very decent Lincoln side, so on balance, i think he should still be in the side. That may, or may not change as the season progresses.

Famewo looks to be very promising but he also looked very jittery in the first half, certainly due to his lack of first team experience. So, two players at either ends of their careers, and for me, Collins still the better choice to be the left sided centre back. For now anyway.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 19, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 3
I think he's got a role to play Ginny, but to be honest I think Whitmore has far outperformed DC in the past three league games and it has set me wondering whether we'd be better off without DC in the team. If MJ thinks Famewo is ready or even needs a game or two to grow into the role, I think we've got everything to gain from having a stronger more mobile player at centre half. DC got beat in the air a lot at Macclesfield, Whitmore didn't. I don't want to criticise any one of our players too heavily, but there was a lot of evidence last season that DC wasn't coping but he did of course have NC alongside him. As we're trying to blend a new team together, I'd like to see us blend Famewo in too. DC will have some good games and he'll have some bad games. Nothing personal, but I don't think he has the physical attributes the be the regular kingpin in our defence anymore, especially if we're trying to be progressive and build a new side on the pitch. Whitmore is looking more and more like the leader game by game..
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2018, 7:57am; Reply: 4
Some good points Bigdog and maybe as the season progresses he will be eased out of the side. It can only be a good thing for us if it happens, because it means someone else would be stepping up to the plate. I think DC has been a great signing while he's been here, and we haven't had anyone to oust him in that time, so if we do have a player to do it, it can only improve us.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 19, 2018, 7:57am; Reply: 5
Shocked at the comments tbh.

I criticised DC for making a challenge he didn’t have to make which ultimately cost us 2 points however for me, his reading of the game, positional sense, leadership, balance he gives being left sided, and experience means he would still be my first choice central defender.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 19, 2018, 8:29am; Reply: 6
To be fair to Collins,  I don't think it's a foul in a million years. It's the fact akinde falls over which makes Collins fall over him which makes it look worse than it is. I still think he has plenty to give.
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, August 19, 2018, 8:31am; Reply: 7
In terms of what he can bring for Davis, Whitmore and Famewo he deserves to start. He has had a couple of shaky moments but you look at the smile and confidence he brought out of Shaun pearson. He wasn’t a first team defender before and next to collins he was solid! I’m hoping we are building a team full of youngish players as opposed to days gone by of has beens.

Absolutely cracking game yesterday, we dominated against a team that ridiculed us and has been hyped up a lot. Every player deserves to not be questioned for at least another week.

*i have got £20 on Town to win the league 😂😂😂
Posted by: quebec38, August 19, 2018, 8:42am; Reply: 8
Against FGR he made not even a once in a career mistake. Yesterday he got suckered in by Akindepen. Sometimes you see them given against the defender and sometimes they go against the attacker for backing in. Otherwise yesterday I thought he battled well and on the whole had a good game. Let’s not write him off yet, in general he’s more than good enough IMO.
Posted by: Garth, August 19, 2018, 9:00am; Reply: 9
DC had a good game yesterday against a decent team and was a victim of a cheat and poor refereeing, his mistake against FGR was just one of those things and could have been made by a twenty year old, nothing to do about age. having said that there is nothing wrong in blooding in the youngsters when the manager thinks fit.
Posted by: Kris2, August 19, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 10
He was drawn into making a foul, it happens to every defender at all levels of the game. There are players who are good at doing it, we've also had this kind of player too and they can be an asset by winning penalties. Age has nothing to do with making mistakes. His positioning is an asset, he's good in the air that's needed often in games when they hoof it forward to a big target man.

I don't understand  these ageist people out for him 24/7 because he's at the top end of age for pro football players. I don't know where people get this idea that all players should quit by 34 years old. A lot of big pro players will play at the top level until late 30's. Some drop to an easier schedule like MLS for the last couple of years until they are pushing 40.

I feel like if one of our local lads made these errors the same people would be defending them to the death and not calling for them to be dropped because they are "still learning the game".
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 19, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Kris2
He was drawn into making a foul, it happens to every defender at all levels of the game. There are players who are good at doing it. .

Perhaps if you’d put the highlights up as quick as you did after FGR we could see for ourselves.  !!!  You clearly have a problem with ‘local lads’ so come on, tell us, which one bullied you at school and shaggged your girlfriend !!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2018, 3:37pm; Reply: 12
Akinde try’s to mug defenders week in week out that’s why the gimps brought him in, thought DC had a good game yesterday and similar to the comments above he was a victim of a ref who like most of them knows the rules but absolutely nothing about the game.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 19, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 13
Agreed, Akinde is a real handful who will out muscle you barge you around and generally win most balls aimed at him. He also knows all the tricks in the book no way was that a penalty but he made it look like one if anything he was backing into Collins preventing him from winning the ball.

TBH I wish we had him.
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 19, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 14
For me, It looked like a penalty on Quest to be fair.

Akinde is a handful but could be too much of a temptation to play the long ball
Posted by: Stockport Mariner, August 19, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 15
Brighton striker Glen Murray just got booked for doing what Akinde did to Collins yesterday.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 19, 2018, 6:24pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Stockport Mariner
Brighton striker Glen Murray just got booked for doing what Akinde did to Collins yesterday.

This:-Absolutely bang on the money
Posted by: gaz57, August 19, 2018, 7:03pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Stockport Mariner

Just what I thought when I saw it
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 19, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 18
Let’s not forget the level at which we are playing. If these players were to have flawless games, they would be playing much higher up the divisions.

DC is awesome at League 2 Level. I think he brings a lot to the party and he has to be one of the first on the Teamsheet. He is a true leader.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 19, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 19
Broken his arm apparently:
Posted by: Cloudy, August 19, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 20
Strong rumours he had an op today on his arm and out for several weeks
Posted by: Hagrid, August 19, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 21
Confirmed by RH   Broken arm
Posted by: Skrill, August 19, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 22
That explains his arm bandage, good thing we had cover for this position. Guess he will now provide a coaching assistance to the CBs until he recovers. Harry Davis can fill in CB with Hendrie RWB/RB

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1031272991810830336

Posted by: LH, August 19, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 23
So he ‘manhandled’ big John Akinde to the floor with a broken arm - the absolute machine.
Posted by: Maringer, August 19, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 24
Famewo to take his place, perhaps? Unless it is better for him to stay out on the left.

Suppose it depends on whether or not Fox is near to fitness or Jolley wants to put Dixon back in.
Posted by: Skrill, August 19, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from LH
So he ‘manhandled’ big John Akinde to the floor with a broken arm - the absolute machine.

;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 19, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 26
With Collins missing I think I'd go

Hendrie Whitmore Davis Famewo

Unless Jolley wants a natural balance between the centre backs so he may go with:

Davis Whitmore Famewo Dixon.
Posted by: Tommy, August 19, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 27
With DC out, options would appear to be:

(Left to right)

a)  Famewo Whitmore Davis Hendrie

b)  Hendrie Famewo Whitmore Davis

c) back three of: Famewo Whitmore Davis
     With wingbacks Hendrie and hopefully a returning Fox or RHJ

I wouldn't expect to see 3 at the back again until Fox or RHJ are fit enough to start on one flank with Hendrie on the other. Or if we sign another wing back.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 19, 2018, 11:42pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tommy
With DC out, options would appear to be:

(Left to right)

a)  Famewo Whitmore Davis Hendrie

b)  Hendrie Famewo Whitmore Davis

c) back three of: Famewo Whitmore Davis
     With wingbacks Hendrie and hopefully a returning Fox or RHJ

I wouldn't expect to see 3 at the back again until Fox or RHJ are fit enough to start on one flank with Hendrie on the other. Or if we sign another wing back.

Koiki would fit. Perfectly into that system on the left... With two, potentially 3 new players in that 352 system and it looks a whole lot stronger.

McKeown

Davis
Whitmore
Collins

Hendrie
Welsh
Hessenthaler
Clifton
Koiki

Thomas
Cook
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, August 19, 2018, 11:56pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Koiki would fit. Perfectly into that system on the left... With two, potentially 3 new players in that 352 system and it looks a whole lot stronger.

McKeown

Davis
Whitmore
Collins

Hendrie
Welsh
Hessenthaler
Clifton
Koiki

Thomas
Cook

No Woolford? he has to be one of the first on the team sheet after his recent performances in my eyes. Stick to 433 its been more successful for us of late
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 12:21am; Reply: 30
Have we signed Koiki when i wasn't looking?

Not many mentioning Dixon, who was unlucky to get dropped by all accounts.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 31

GTFC Official Site......."Collins will now be sidelined for a number of weeks and we wish Danny a full and speedy recovery."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/collins-operation-successful/
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 20, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 32
Broke his arm in the third minute on Saturday apparently
Posted by: Garth, August 20, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Broke his arm in the third minute on Saturday apparently

Warrior! Bert Trautmann style
Posted by: Grantley, August 20, 2018, 12:06pm; Reply: 34
If you watch the full match, you can see where it happens, about 14 minutes into the video. Incredibly innocuous challenge and he doesn’t even seem to land on it awkwardly!
Posted by: moosey_club, August 20, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Garth

Warrior! Bert Trautmann style

Adrenalin is a wonderful thing ....fractured my wrist playing  Sunday League footy ....quite literally didn't feel any pain until the full time whistle had gone when i was walking back to the changing room ...by the time i had got changed and reached the car i could hardly move my arm but had played for around the last 20 mins with the injury !!  

Speedy recovery DC.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 20, 2018, 12:31pm; Reply: 36
Well we’ll see if we miss him now ! My bet is yes although Famewo will probably get his chance in his favoured position now .
Posted by: golfer, August 20, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 37
How on earth you can play for nearly a full 90mins.with a broken arm beats me-I've known blokes be off work for a week with a splinter. I salute the man.
Posted by: oochiad, August 20, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 38
The guys a hero.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 20, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from golfer
How on earth you can play for nearly a full 90mins.with a broken arm beats me-I've known blokes be off work for a week with a splinter. I salute the man.

Bobby Cumming once played a full match with a broken arm and 2 broken legs. 8)
Posted by: Barrattstander, August 20, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yeh, but who did they belong to?

😂
Posted by: Mallyner, August 20, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 41
I went to Blundell Park for most of last season with a broken heart.  ;) Joking apart all credit to Danny for playing on.
Posted by: golfer, August 20, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes,but they weren't his .
Posted by: Ipswin, August 20, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from golfer

Yes,but they weren't his .

It was much funnier when Barrattstander did it

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 20, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from grimsby pete

Feel sorry for the young uns who never saw the great bobby cumming play .. what a player
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 20, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 45
He was quality . Loved him
Posted by: golfer, August 20, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

It was much funnier when Barrattstander did it

You can't beat the old ones   P.S.  I feel so silly.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Grantley
If you watch the full match, you can see where it happens, about 14 minutes into the video. Incredibly innocuous challenge and he doesn’t even seem to land on it awkwardly!

Happened in the 4th minute apparently.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 20, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 48
How on earth did nobody notice at half time?
Posted by: Grantley, August 20, 2018, 10:28pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

Happened in the 4th minute apparently.

That’s why I said 14 minutes into the video :)
Posted by: topuphere666, August 20, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 50
Can just imagine Dave getting his blue paper towels out, running them under cold water and telling Danny to get on with it.

I broke my wrist playing football last season. Not gonna lie I cried, needed an ambulance with hell of a lot of morphine! Haha.
Posted by: toontown, August 20, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 51
Maximum respect to DC for playing on with a broken arm, and against a bruiser like Akinde that goes double! Hope he recovers soon
Posted by: golfer, August 21, 2018, 7:19am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
How on earth did nobody notice at half time?

They did-that was why it was bandaged up.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 21, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 53
I can’t help but think he should’ve been brought off instead of trying to play on. Can’t have been playing at 100% and sure being bashed around by Akinde all afternoon won’t have helped his recovery.
Posted by: Maringer, August 21, 2018, 7:34am; Reply: 54
Probably just thought it was a knock and not a break. I'd imagine it was cracked rather than more of a serious break.

I expect it hurt a bit but the adrenaline of playing in the game obviously took him through to the end!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 21, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 55
Quoted from golfer

They did-that was why it was bandaged up.

Well yes but I meant the extent of the injury,  surely playing like that is a risk
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 21, 2018, 7:44am; Reply: 56
The power of the Magic Sponge, worked wonders for my team mates. didt do to well on a broken ankle tho but i did try.
Posted by: Skrill, August 21, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 57
Collins is a bloody hard illegitimate
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 21, 2018, 9:29am; Reply: 58
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Feel sorry for the young uns who never saw the great bobby cumming play .. what a player

If he couldn't go round his man, he'd go through him.  :)

Makes you wonder how long he'd last on the pitch in this day and age.
Posted by: AussieMariner, August 21, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Skrill
Collins is a bloody hard illegitimate

Spot on Skrill
The fact that he has chosen to keep playing for us is IMO something we should be proud of and flies in the face of the view that we cant attract good players to Grimsby
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 21, 2018, 3:51pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Well yes but I meant the extent of the injury,  surely playing like that is a risk

If they had known it was broken he obviously wouldn’t have carried on. I would guess he says it hurts or is uncomfortable but that he was happy to carry on. As others have said hard as nails and also shows he cares. At his age he could have piped up and said he needed to come off but didn’t want his team to be in that position.

Well done DC
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 22, 2018, 1:27am; Reply: 61
He will struggle to get back in the side, we looked a lot faster and capable at the back without him tonight.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 11:23pm