Subs

Russell
Whitmore
Dixon
Woolford
Cook
Wright
A. Rose

A, 4-3-2-1 formation because of the lack of width in the team. Vernam and Clifton to support Hooper and also allows Hessenthaler to get forward.

A formation when defending can turn into a 4-5-1 aswell to keep resolute and solid.

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 9, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 1
Mckeown

Hall-Johnson
Davis
Collins
Fox

Rose
Welsh
Hessenthaler

Hooper
Vernom
Cook

THe same 451/433 formation we ended last season on.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, August 9, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 2
Doesn't matter. We'll still lose.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 9, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 3
I'd go with:

McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Davis
Famewo
Fox

Welsh
Hessenthaler
Rose

Cook
Vernham
Hooper

Going back to the successful 4-3-3 system from the back end of last season. Famewo offers pace and athleticism from the back and Davis is the better of him and Whitmore on the ball IMO.

The midfield have protection and bite from Welsh, mobility and strengths from Rose and energy from Hessenthaler who can also push forward and get beyond the front men.

Cook and Hooper playing either side of Vernham but with the flexibility to interchange to keep the opposition guessing.

The strength in this system IMO is the fluidity of the front 3 and the midfield joining in with the attack whilst maintaining a strong back 5 (with Welsh patrolling just in front of back 4)

Just my opinion but I don't think we have the striker to play 3-5-2 at the moment.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, August 9, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 4
Macca

Fox
Davis
Famewo
RHJ

Welsh
Rose
Hessenthaler

Clifton
Hooper

Cook
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 9, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 5
Jolly is obviously going to stick with the 352 formation, seems silly to work on it all pre season and drop it after one game.

Macca

Davies
Collins
Famewo

Hall -Johnson
Hessenthaler
Welsh
Rose
Fox

Vernam

Hooper
Posted by: Croxton, August 9, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 6
Macca

Famewo
Collins
Whitmore
RHJ

Welsh
Rose
Hessenthaler

Clifton
Vernam
Hooper
Posted by: Tommy, August 9, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mikey_345
Jolly is obviously going to stick with the 352 formation, seems silly to work on it all pre season and drop it after one game.

Precisely.

If we'd started with 442 last week and lost 4-1. Would people be demanding we change formation?

Stick with 352 again, play Fox and RHJ as wingbacks. Bring Hessenthaler into midfield and maybe Vernam in attack too.
Posted by: Meza, August 9, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 8

McKeown

RHJ        Famewo          Davis        Fox

Hessenthaler    Welsh          Rose

Cook

Vernam         Hooper
Posted by: hheh2, August 9, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 9
                     Macca
RHJ  Davis Whitmore Famewo Dixon
         Hess     Welsh   Rose
                Vernam Hooper
Posted by: fiveallive, August 9, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 10
The formation Jolley played didn't work, haven't got the players for it in WB positions, especially at LWB, which would allow Hall-Johnson to go back to RWB.

I would go back to a system 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1, bolster the midfield when away from home.
Posted by: Grantley, August 9, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 11
McKeown

Davies
Whitmore
Famewo

RHJ
Hess
Welsh
Rose
Fox

Vernam
Hooper
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 9, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 12
As much as I'd like Famewo to be given a chance, I can't see MJ dropping Collins as it'll look like he's done it on the back of his mistake and may damage confidence and morale with players fearful and making mistakes and getting dropped.

That may lead them to play within themselves and keeping it safe rather than taking risks and playing with confidence and flexibility which I think is needed in a successful side.

Players need to believe they can take risks not at risk of. Been dropped or frozen out if it doesn't come off.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 10, 2018, 12:06am; Reply: 13
            Mckeown (yellow shirt)
RHJ Whitmore Collins Fox
    Welsh Hessenthaler
Vernham Cook Hooper
        Robles
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 10, 2018, 7:04am; Reply: 14
McKeown
Whitmore Davis Collins
RHJ Welsh Fox
Hessenthaler Rose
Vernam Hooper
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
Whitmore Davis Collins
RHJ Welsh Fox
Hessenthaler Rose
Vernam Hooper

That might work on a 20 yard wide pitch  :o
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, August 10, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 16
                      Mckewon
             Fox Collins Davis RHJ
             Hooper Hesslethanther Welsh Rose Clifton

Vernam
     4-5-1

Mckewon
        Fox.   Collins.       Davis.        RHJ
     Hooper   Hesselthanther Welsh Rose Clifton

Vernam

Posted by: Stew0_0, August 10, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 17
                        McKeown

Whitmore    Collins   Famewo

Clifton       Rose      Welsh      Hessenthaler

Vernam         Cook

Hooper

3-4-2-1 with Clifton and Hessenthaler playing wing backs. I know the latter isnt a natural left wing back but the role isnt suiting Fox and Dixon atm and Hess has the engine and endeavour to get up and down so worth a shout.
Plus it gives us the opportunity to bring vernam and cook into the lineup together.
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 10, 2018, 10:33am; Reply: 18
I thought I'd heard Fox was injured?
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 10, 2018, 11:57am; Reply: 19
McKeown

Davis
Collins
Famewo

Hall Johnson
Welsh
Hessenthaler
Rose
Fox

Hooper
Vernam

Subs: Russell, Whitmore, Clifton, Dixon, Woolford, Cook, A. Rose
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 20
Not entirely sure why everyone is dropping Whitmore, the only one of the centre backs who didn't make a mistake for a goal.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 10, 2018, 12:35pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner93er
Not entirely sure why everyone is dropping Whitmore, the only one of the centre backs who didn't make a mistake for a goal.

Apart from their equaliser of course where he gave their attacker about a week to pick his spot 🤔
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 22
How you can put any blame on Whitmore for that goal is beyond me.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 10, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner93er
How you can put any blame on Whitmore for that goal is beyond me.

Who exactly was Whitmore marking when their guy strolled in to collect the ball and score?
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 24
It was a central midfielder making a good run from deep, something hard to mark as Disley showed on many occassions. The real issue was Davis not moving along to help Clifton who was left in a 2 v 1 situation at the back post. If he does that, they potential don't win the knock down. Coincidentally, it was also Davis who lost Doidge for his headed goal from the corner, and was by far the worst of the back 3.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 10, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mariner93er
It was a central midfielder making a good run from deep, something hard to mark as Disley showed on many occassions. The real issue was Davis not moving along to help Clifton who was left in a 2 v 1 situation at the back post. If he does that, they potential don't win the knock down. Coincidentally, it was also Davis who lost Doidge for his headed goal from the corner, and was by far the worst of the back 3.

Just the way I saw it live mate that's all... Happy to be proven otherwise. It just seemed their man was left in acres of space and Whitmore was the closest covering defender..... It seems the guy had a good few seconds to lick his spot whilst Whitmore stood and watched... In reality it it probably wasn't that long but seemed an age at the time.

I actually though Whitmore was pretty solid otherwise but I've put Davis in my time as he seemed to be the better distribution and MJ seems very keen on playing out from the back. Whitmore strikes me as a no-nonsense destroyer type centre-half whilst Davis is a bit more cultured and technical. The reviews from St Mirren were outstanding so he perhaps just need a few games to get his rhythm in the side.

I really do like the look of Famewo though, he looks a proper modern centre-half, strong, quick, technical and athletic.... I just can't see Collins getting dropped though (not that he deserves it after one dodgy game).

All being said, centre half look one of our strongest areas but they'll obviously need time to develop partnerships and an understanding.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 10, 2018, 2:17pm; Reply: 26
I agree Famewo looks good, but like you said, they all need to develop partnerships so I imagine we'll see the same back 3.
Posted by: Meza, August 10, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner93er

Maybe not but during the game he made the wrong choices and played far too many long passes for me, but everyone deserves a second chance though.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:51am