Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, August 9, 2018, 10:40am
Anyone seen him play much? How good is he?
What are his strengths? Is he up to playing in the first team this season, and to what extent?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 9, 2018, 10:48am; Reply: 1
He's young, he's raw, he has a lot to learn.

Patience
Posted by: Bigdog, August 9, 2018, 10:48am; Reply: 2
Quoted from chaos33
Anyone seen him play much? How good is he?
What are his strengths? Is he up to playing in the first team this season, and to what extent?

MJ said in pre-season he's very raw and needs development. By all accounts he's rapid and knows where the goal is..
Posted by: oochiad, August 9, 2018, 10:54am; Reply: 3
Saw him play in preseason, raw but would like to think he could make an appearance this season.
Posted by: oochiad, August 9, 2018, 10:55am; Reply: 4
Later on.....
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 9, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 5
Think it was either the Sunderland or Donny game where he came on as a sub, he was stupidly quick, looked quite assured on the ball although as previously stated, probably too raw to make an impact on the first team this season, wouldn't be surprised if he's tried out in the check-a-tw@t cup though...
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 9, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 6
Ridiculously quick, good on the ball, quite skillful and fantastic finisher.... Has all the attributes to eb a great player but needs time and patience. I'd have thought Jolley and Limbrick will be working closely with him in training to develop him.

He's a great option to have on the bench IMO as he'll terrify tiring defenders.

Question is.... Would you rather have Rose on the bench or Robles?

From what I've seen of both players it'd be Rose every time!
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 9, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 7
Wonder if a months loan to give him a bit of mans football is in order?
Posted by: chaos33, August 9, 2018, 11:22am; Reply: 8
Interesting responses. Wonder if we'll see him get some game time then as he sounds impressive and exciting on the comments of those who've seen him. We've got a small squad, other clubs blood 18 year olds to good effect, he hasn't got a lot of quality competition amongst our striking options so who knows....

Interesting to note that merely asking some open questions and inviting people's considered views on a player many of us have seen little or nothing of received six red crosses,  but then I remembered that there are some cranks on here.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 9, 2018, 12:02pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

MJ said in pre-season he's very raw and needs development. By all accounts he's rapid and knows where the goal is..

Well that would be improvement to Saturday
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 9, 2018, 12:22pm; Reply: 10
Wait a minute on this one.....did a 17 year old called Wayne Rooney have to bide his time, learn his trade and wait for an opportunity to show the masses his capabilities??....No, his manager saw a young, raw talent and threw him at the deep end where he could have either sank or swam..and by hell did he take that opportunity and swim!!!.So never mind this developing malarkey, sometimes the best way to develop a player is to unleash the shackles and just let him go, if he struggles put an arm round him, then let him fly again...Right now, at this club we need pace, guile, trickery and someone who has a point to prove that he knows where the flipping back of the net is,...because the only person who seems to know right now is Danny Collins(sorry DC)...
Posted by: Abdul19, August 9, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 11
Wayne Rooney (who was 16) was good enough to play in the division his team were in. MJ obviously feels Rose isn't.
Posted by: Tommy, August 9, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Abdul19
Wayne Rooney (who was 16) was good enough to play in the division his team were in. MJ obviously feels Rose isn't.

Exactly this.

Players develop at different rates and different ages. Rooney was ready to play in a first team at that level a 16, others don't develop to the level they're at until early 20s (21/22).

And not just physically (which is an obvious difference Rooney had at 16 to most).
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 9, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

To stand corrected, I was actually on about Fergie taking him from Everton and throwing him in at the deep end of uniteds front line....
So why have someone on your books you don't think is good enough,??...it's not as though Rose is an apprentice, learning how to use his tools before being let out into the big bad world...if MJ thinks that one day he'll cut it,  loan him out, give him the opportunity to ply his trade then bring him back or let him leave....In the same way none of us have really talked about Max Wright, where on earth has disappeared to??smashed them in for Scarborough, comes back, probable expecting to at least get on the bench and he's ended up in the wilderness as far as I can gather
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 9, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 14
No way near ready for a starting berth at this stage.  He's got some serious potential with his pace, believe me it's frightening just how quick he is, especially over 10 yards.  

He needs schooling on where and when to move as the times I've seen him he doesn't really know but with a good mentor that'll come.

I would have no issue with him coming on for 20 minutes if we're 2-0 up to gain experience but not for anything else at this stage.
Posted by: Maringer, August 9, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 15
Rooney was a top-class player with innate vision and awareness of what was going on around him on the field even at a young age. This is the sort of thing that most lower division players never achieve, regardless of how hard they train or how much they play.

My guess is that A. Rose has the physical attributes required but is currently lacking much of an awareness about the game. It doesn't matter how quick or skilful you are if you're always running the wrong way or standing in the wrong place and it doesn't matter if you're a good finisher if you never get the ball in a position where you can shoot.

I'd imagine they are working hard with him in training, but it can't have helped that he hasn't been able to play many games until recently due to his visa status. It will be good if he develops enough to get some experience as a sub this season but no point in throwing him into the team based on the hope he might do something.
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 9, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from diehardmariner
No way near ready for a starting berth at this stage.  He's got some serious potential with his pace, believe me it's frightening just how quick he is, especially over 10 yards.  

He needs schooling on where and when to move as the times I've seen him he doesn't really know but with a good mentor that'll come.

I would have no issue with him coming on for 20 minutes if we're 2-0 up to gain experience but not for anything else at this stage.

Remember Big Keith Alexander? he never had a clue where or what he was doing lol. sometimes its what can make them effective.
Certainly a good option for the bench. raw pace.
Posted by: sam gy, August 9, 2018, 1:05pm; Reply: 17
There's only one thing comparable with Rose and Rooney. The fact that Rooney was once a young player signed to a football club, and Rose currently is!
Posted by: Abdul19, August 9, 2018, 1:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

To stand corrected, I was actually on about Fergie taking him from Everton and throwing him in at the deep end of uniteds front line....

An even more baffling example then as he was a £30m (18 year old) player who had just scored 4 goals at the euros!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 9, 2018, 1:27pm; Reply: 19
Rooney went on to be Englands all time top goal scorer.

Comparing Rose to him is a bit of a strange one  :o
Posted by: Maringer, August 9, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 20
The parallels between him and Rooney are so spooky that I think I can confidently predict that Ahkeem Rose will go on to become Jamaica's all-time goal scorer.  :P
Posted by: Croxton, August 9, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 21
He needs to be around the First team squad not sent out. The more coaching he gets within the squad and minutes as a sub the more he will read the game. Shame that he and Max got so little time in the Gainsborough game when the result was never in doubt.
His dead ball accuracy and goal in the Barton game were excellent.
Sooner rather than later for me and arguably the signing of the summer.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 9, 2018, 2:35pm; Reply: 22
Rooney broke records, but so will AR. He'll set the record for the longest debut.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, August 9, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 23
Can I ask what all the fuss over him is about when he’s played so little professional football?

Just curious..
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 9, 2018, 2:52pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Can I ask what all the fuss over him is about when he’s played so little professional football?

Just curious..

I wouldn't say "fuss" as such Andy, he came here under a different regime and for unforeseen visa issues we could get him on the pitch.
What narks me is this, yes there is no doubt the kids got talent and yes he needs schooling, but I don't think we have the privilege of being able to have "potentials" in a squad that already lacks quality in the striker front...So rather than have him sat warming the bench or being in and around the first team to gain "experience" I'd rather see him on the field cutting his teeth, if he flops then at least we know he was just another hopeful that didn't make the grade but, if he starts ripping defences apart and banging a few in then he becomes a bloody good asset..
Posted by: chaos33, August 9, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 25
Which is a notion that was implicit in my original questions to start this thread.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 9, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 26

I wouldn't say "fuss" as such Andy, he came here under a different regime and for unforeseen visa issues we could get him on the pitch.
What narks me is this, yes there is no doubt the kids got talent and yes he needs schooling, but I don't think we have the privilege of being able to have "potentials" in a squad that already lacks quality in the striker front...So rather than have him sat warming the bench or being in and around the first team to gain "experience" I'd rather see him on the field cutting his teeth, if he flops then at least we know he was just another hopeful that didn't make the grade but, if he starts ripping defences apart and banging a few in then he becomes a bloody good asset..

So if we throw in a young inexperienced striker, who has only just got into the first team squad and he flops, he's just another striker who didn't make the grade? Not much pressure there then.

Can't we just trust that the people paid to make these calls will know when, and more importantly if, he's ready.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 9, 2018, 3:37pm; Reply: 27
On the flip side some will flourish under the pressure, I'm not saying I don't trust those who make the decisions, in fact I trust MJs judgement implicitly, I just don't want to see what may be an extraordinary talent going to waste...
Posted by: toontown, August 9, 2018, 4:39pm; Reply: 28
It's not going to waste in the sense he is being developed through coaching in preparation for the 1st team when (if) MJ feels he is ready. Every single pro footballer will go through this stage
Posted by: mariner91, August 9, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 29
On the flip side some will flourish under the pressure, I'm not saying I don't trust those who make the decisions, in fact I trust MJs judgement implicitly, I just don't want to see what may be an extraordinary talent going to waste...

Not being funny but if he was an "extraordinary talent" then he wouldn't be here.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 18, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 30
[tweet]1063846882357772290[/tweet]
Posted by: moosey_club, November 18, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 31
To get his first goal after nearly two years of wondering whether or not he would even be allowed to play the game must be wonderful for him.
Hope his career blossoms.
Posted by: paulgtfc, November 18, 2018, 7:07pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from mariner91

Not being funny but if he was an "extraordinary talent" then he wouldn't be here.

Harsh  8)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 18, 2018, 7:10pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from paulgtfc

Harsh  8)

Harsh maybe but sadly true and If he does turn out to be an extraordinary talent (which I doubt) he won't be here for long.

Posted by: GrimRob, November 18, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 34
Great name on the back of his shirt: "A Rose"

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/da/75/2c/da752c25ffc78d946ea18a93a62c6bd8.jpg[/img]
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, November 18, 2018, 11:23pm; Reply: 35
He said in an interview his mum is still back in jamaica, wish we could raise the money for his family to come over for christmas haha
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 19, 2018, 6:57am; Reply: 36
No reason why Ahkeem can't go on everybody has to start somewhere why not here.

The lad has phenomenal pace that will terrify defenders given more time on the pitch and confidence this kid could become a fantastic impact sub to start with and if he keeps getting the odd goal perhaps a first-teamer linking up with Thomas or Cardwell.

Very early days but a promising start.
Posted by: Ruston AT, November 19, 2018, 7:10am; Reply: 37
Jamaican ? Thought he was Nigerian.
Posted by: Davec, November 19, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 38
We need to break him in slowly, we don't want to overuse him at a young age because that can have a negative impact, like that happened to Mansaram and Jonathan Rowan.
Posted by: Mariner93er, November 19, 2018, 7:52am; Reply: 39
How do you know he's even good enough to be breaking in at all. Yes it was a great finish, but come on, no ones barely seen him play. I'd be surprised if he's in the starting line up anytime soon.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 8:04am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mariner93er
How do you know he's even good enough to be breaking in at all. Yes it was a great finish, but come on, no ones barely seen him play. I'd be surprised if he's in the starting line up anytime soon.

Especially with the new striker arriving in Jan
Posted by: lukeo, November 19, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner93er

Everyone at the club have seen him play for the past 18 months and stuck by him throughout that whole time (3 managers?) we obviously have been paying for him to stay here etc for the past 18 months. Someone I know who worked with him closely within the youth team has said he's raw talent and could become a quality player and he is a genuinely decent lad aswell which is always pleasing to hear.
Posted by: RoboCod, November 19, 2018, 8:10am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mariner93er

The fact that we've stuck by him through his visa problems and what he's showing in reserves/training matches is what the management are going on. So we don't know how good he is just yet, but I'd hope he's judged, patiently, on his all round and still developing play rather than just one example of his finishing.
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 19, 2018, 8:26am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Cloudy

Surely not.

Thomas, Cardwell, Cook, Vernam, Hooper and Rose plus a new striker?

Hooper appears to have been frozen out but it would take a hard sell to get anyone to take the final 6 months of his contract off our hands in January.  I would imagine Cook came here in the summer expecting to play more than he has, now reduced to warming the bench with a 19-year-old rookie getting the nod before him.  Wonder if his name will be touted about.    I definitely think we could do with a refresh in the striking options.  Rose gives the pace and Cardwell adds a bit more physicality but I think we would definitely benefit from an absolute battering ram or (ideally and) a fox-in-the-box poacher type.  
Posted by: Davec, November 19, 2018, 9:02am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Cloudy

Have you heard anything Cloudy
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 6:23pm