Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pkscouse, August 7, 2018, 6:08pm
Hi -new to this forum but not new to watching the Mariners as been following them since 1971
Just a quick first post to say I cant believe how many doom and gloom merchants there are on here …...one match into the season and yes it was dire but god almighty give the team a chance - pretty much a new line up so its going to take time to gel , miracles do not happen overnight
Also I cant believe the abuse thrown at Dixon - where I sat on Saturday  in the lower youngs people were on his back after 10 minutes - how on earth is the bloke going to improve against that backdrop
Anyway onwards and upwards hopefully eh  :)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 7, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 1
Welcome PK, be prepared for a shed load of negativity, opinions from every side and abuse you've not heard the likes of, oh and then there's happy crack "Ipswin", proper joyful kinda bloke, as you'll find out...Welcome to the Fishy!!
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 7, 2018, 6:19pm; Reply: 2
Welcome To The Jungle baby
Posted by: ginnywings, August 7, 2018, 7:11pm; Reply: 3
Welcome pk.

Think most fans were shocked more than anything. Most will realise that Rome wasn't built in a day, but we normally beat FGR, so with that, and all the excitement of opening day, it hit a raw nerve. I also think that was big leap forward for them, beating us like that on our own patch.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 7, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pkscouse
Hi -new to this forum but not new to watching the Mariners as been following them since 1971
Just a quick first post to say I cant believe how many doom and gloom merchants there are on here …...one match into the season and yes it was dire but god almighty give the team a chance - pretty much a new line up so its going to take time to gel , miracles do not happen overnight
Also I cant believe the abuse thrown at Dixon - where I sat on Saturday  in the lower youngs people were on his back after 10 minutes - how on earth is the bloke going to improve against that backdrop

Welcome on board PK - agree with the Dixon bit, we always seem to need to have a scapegoat although I'm not sure how much improvement he can make.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 7, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 5
(welcomeani)

We are all Town mate,

BUT

Do not always agree with each other.
Posted by: pkscouse, August 7, 2018, 8:41pm; Reply: 6
Thanks for the welcome Guys
Think you are right about scapegoats Old Codger …….Mike Hickman , Phil Bonnyman . Bobby Mitchell and many more over the years !
Posted by: Stadium, August 7, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from pkscouse

Amazing isn't it.
You'll soon get used to the usual suspects.
Enjoy your stay.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 7, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 8
Welcome to the forum. You must have been sat in a different part of the Lower to me as they were on Dixon's case way quicker than 10 mins 😉
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 7, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 9
Saturday was shambolic, yes it is one game but we were so far behind a tinpot village outfit like Forest Green, I don't think it's wrong to be concerned already. I do have faith in Michael Jolley, but his team selection was baffling. The two 'wing backs', the central midfield choices, the punts to the small forwards against giant centre backs. I'm sorry but he isn't immune to criticism, he can turn up and as many BBQ's as he wants, he will be judged on results.

Paul Dixon for example, he has proved himself time and time again to be out of his depth for whatever reason at league two level. Yes, he has two Scotland caps, he has played at a higher level than league two. He has been woeful since he signed, he was as poor as anyone on Saturday. Senior pros such as Collins and John Welsh were continually shouting at him to get into the right position on Saturday, you'd expect that of a young lad making his way, not a 32 year old former international footballer. His body language is negative, he doesn't seem to look up. He gets caught the wrong side of the man he is marking time and time again, he is always going to get turned and he is physically weak.

Sorry, I could claim the opposite and bury my head in the sand, I appreciate it is only my opinion and I am open to discussion if people think I'm wrong. But if we are to move forward, he should not be starting games, he's under contract, I get that and I don't seen anyone coming in for him.
Posted by: Maringer, August 7, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 10
If FGR are 'tinpot', what does that make us considering their wage bill is almost certainly multiples of ours?

Lack of fans is not the same thing as lack of resources so assuming we should just beat a team spending so much more than us doesn't make sense.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 7, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Maringer
If FGR are 'tinpot', what does that make us considering their wage bill is almost certainly multiples of ours?

Lack of fans is not the same thing as lack of resources so assuming we should just beat a team spending so much more than us doesn't make sense.

Hmm, maybe but needlessly playing square pegs in round holes isn't going to help. Does anyone else see Harry Clifton as a wingback for example? All I'm saying, is okay it is early but I've absolutely had enough of losing, Jolley's choices on Saturday were bizarre IMO, alarm bells are ringing.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 7, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from pkscouse
Just a quick first post to say I cant believe how many doom and gloom merchants there are on here …...one match into the season and yes it was dire but god almighty give the team a chance - pretty much a new line up so its going to take time to gel

Please don't make your debut on here with all that 'time to gel' crap

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 7, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 13
[quote=75]

Paul Dixon for example, he has proved himself time and time again to be out of his depth for whatever reason at league two level. Yes, he has two Scotland caps, he has played at a higher level than league two. He has been woeful since he signed, he was as poor as anyone on Saturday. Senior pros such as Collins and John Welsh were continually shouting at him to get into the right position on Saturday, you'd expect that of a young lad making his way, not a 32 year old former international footballer. His body language is negative, he doesn't seem to look up. He gets caught the wrong side of the man he is marking time and time again, he is always going to get turned and he is physically weak.

Yes but apart from that he had a good game. ;)

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 7, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 75
Saturday was shambolic, yes it is one game but we were so far behind a tinpot village outfit like Forest Green, I don't think it's wrong to be concerned already. I do have faith in Michael Jolley, but his team selection was baffling. The two 'wing backs', the central midfield choices, the punts to the small forwards against giant centre backs. I'm sorry but he isn't immune to criticism, he can turn up and as many BBQ's as he wants, he will be judged on results.

Sorry, I could claim the opposite and bury my head in the sand, I appreciate it is only my opinion and I am open to discussion if people think I'm wrong. But if we are to move forward, he should not be starting games, he's under contract, I get that and I don't seen anyone coming in for him.

You may be right BUT firstly, he was selected ahead of Fox and secondly, Clifton was selected ahead of RH-J. As you say, all about opinions, but I think both selections were wrong. Harry Clifton ended last season as local hero, 'one of our own' etc but as a right-sided/central midfielder not a square peg in a round hole. We talk about needing a striker but haven't got a single attacking wide player on the books - NOT ONE - unless you count Max Wright who spent last season playing at 4 levels lower.
Posted by: mariner91, August 7, 2018, 10:18pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You may be right BUT firstly, he was selected ahead of Fox and secondly, Clifton was selected ahead of RH-J. As you say, all about opinions, but I think both selections were wrong. Harry Clifton ended last season as local hero, 'one of our own' etc but as a right-sided/central midfielder not a square peg in a round hole. We talk about needing a striker but haven't got a single attacking wide player on the books - NOT ONE - unless you count Max Wright who spent last season playing at 4 levels lower.

Which is what really concerns me. The formation we're setting up for is 352, and we're not particularly well set up for that with regards to players available but that's another story, but I'm amazed that MJ is so short-sighted that he hasn't got any wide players that would allow us to change formation either through choice or through necessity. It's just extremely poor planning in my opinion.

That coupled with the fact that he's playing wholly unsuited players in the wing back positions (Clifton and Dixon) makes me think that he's decided on the formation without really thinking about how to implement it or he's going to be really stubborn and stick with it regardless of circumstance. I still maintain that without someone coming in on the left side that we don't have two players capable of playing wing back, and even then you only need an injury or suspension to one of them and you're back to square pegs in round holes. We can't even change the formation effectively because we've got any orthodox attacking wide players. For a man who's clearly intelligent, the way he has built the squad is baffling to say the least.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 7, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mariner91

Which is what really concerns me. The formation we're setting up for is 352, and we're not particularly well set up for that with regards to players available but that's another story, but I'm amazed that MJ is so short-sighted that he hasn't got any wide players that would allow us to change formation either through choice or through necessity. It's just extremely poor planning in my opinion.

That coupled with the fact that he's playing wholly unsuited players in the wing back positions (Clifton and Dixon) makes me think that he's decided on the formation without really thinking about how to implement it or he's going to be really stubborn and stick with it regardless of circumstance. I still maintain that without someone coming in on the left side that we don't have two players capable of playing wing back, and even then you only need an injury or suspension to one of them and you're back to square pegs in round holes. We can't even change the formation effectively because we've got any orthodox attacking wide players. For a man who's clearly intelligent, the way he has built the squad is baffling to say the least.

And I suspect the decision to get rid of Zak Mills and keep RHJ was a financial one because, ability wise, it must have been a very marginal call.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 7, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 17
Welcome Pkscouse
Posted by: Meza, August 7, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 18
Welcome to the fishy Pkscouse
Posted by: Maringer, August 8, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 19
You'd have to imagine that RHJ would be the nominal right wing-back as he's got the No. 2 shirt and has played further forward in his career. This makes it all the more strange that he started on the bench behind Clifton. Did RHJ play on the left in pre-season? That might be an understandable selection though I'm not convinced he's a good enough defender to play on his wrong side.

Dixon wasn't terrible on Saturday (though definitely not good) but he's just too slow to consider playing as a regular wing-back and Fox, though a capable full-back who isn't bad going forward doesn't strike me as somebody you would see in that position either.

I can't help but wonder if the player (or players) Jolley is looking at in Sweden can play as wing-backs and he's just looking for something which works OK until we can sign them. Would be a worrying risk if so!
Posted by: GrimRob, August 8, 2018, 9:30am; Reply: 20
Fair enough waiting for players to become available from Sweden, but we need to pick a team for the here and now. There weren't really any red flags during pre-season so I can forgive one bad team selection but hopefully, there'll be a rethink for the next games. I imagine we'll be playing 4-4-2 before long as that's always what we seem to end up doing after an attempt to break out the mold.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 8, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 21
We lost 1-4 and ordinarily I would have been foaming at the mouth however in reality we lost to what I reckon will be a top 6 side and gifted them all 4 goals courtesy of our own mistakes.We won`t gift anybody else 4 goals we will get better and I have every confidence that after 12 games we will all be fairly relaxed by Fishy standards (except Swin).
Posted by: norfuk mariner, August 8, 2018, 11:55am; Reply: 22
Our dear friend Anonymous Kitman is now forecasting relegation for Us and Morecombe. Mansfield top and Lincoln second!!!!! :D
Posted by: Yoda, August 8, 2018, 1:23pm; Reply: 23
I’m not worried about the defence we had a bad day at the office, it’s scoring goals i worry about.
Posted by: rancido, August 8, 2018, 5:46pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 75

Tin pot maybe but they can still afford ( thanxs to their Chairman) good players and a good manager.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 8, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from pkscouse
Thanks for the welcome Guys
Think you are right about scapegoats Old Codger …….Mike Hickman , Phil Bonnyman . Bobby Mitchell and many more over the years !

They were good players and really contributed when they played, trouble is Dixon was crap in just about every game he played.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 1:49am