Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 8:23am
Does anyone know if it is possible to watch iFollow on a smart TV?  I'm a doddering old bugga and have no idea how to see if this is possible, thanks for any advice.
Posted by: newarkmariner, August 2, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 1
i get to watch it by using  chromecast on my tv and throw the picture from my phone to the telly,you will need an android phone to do it and link it to your tv,hope that helps
Posted by: sutton mariner, August 2, 2018, 9:03am; Reply: 2
Plug your laptop into your TV with a HDMI cable.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 3
If you get the appropriate cable, you can plug your phone or tablet or laptop directly into the TV, then whatever you have on your phone/tablet screen, will appear on the TV. The chromecast just does it without the cables.

I have my PC connected to my TV, so have made my own smart TV.
Posted by: dicko995, August 2, 2018, 9:23am; Reply: 4
On the subject of ifollow, does this give you the live games each week?. I have just come out of hospital after having a full knee replacement and have no chance of attending the match on Saturday,im totally gutted and at a loss. But if ifollow gives me the live game then I will subscribe, nethertheless , reading past topics on this, I see there are a few members on here who have had problems in the past. If anyone can enlighten me about the live matches I would be eternally grateful.
Posted by: Dan, August 2, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 5
Midweek matches will be available in the UK. Saturday games only to people outside the UK. Someone who isn't me could get around this using the built in VPN on the Opera Web browser.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 10:13am; Reply: 6
Quoted from sutton mariner

My iFollow is on my desktop PC, is there any way it can be connected, by wifi, or am I talking rubbish?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2018, 10:19am; Reply: 7
Quoted from 123614

My iFollow is on my desktop PC, is there any way it can be connected, by wifi, or am I talking rubbish?

Yes, with a wi-fi adapter. https://kb.netgear.com/19980/How-to-connect-a-Samsung-TV-to-a-wireless-network.

This shows how a Samsung is connected but there are adapters for most TV makes.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 8
Thanks for that Ginny, very helpful.
Posted by: MarshMariner, August 2, 2018, 12:05pm; Reply: 9
Was anyone able to confirm a VPN to use for iFollow, I noticed on other message boards that iFollow appears to be tightening up on access..
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, August 2, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 10
Single match passes from £10
Mkdons match is just£10.
If i were an entertainment establishment i might be tempted to subscibe for individual matches and show them at said establishment to encourage custom.
I would be surprised if no one has thought of this.
Anyone know different?
Posted by: mimma, August 2, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 11
Think it's illegal for pubs or anyone to show games to the public.

As for watching on a smart tv, I can get the internet on my telly. Can't I just log into I follow on that and watch it?
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 2, 2018, 1:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from dicko995
On the subject of ifollow, does this give you the live games each week?. I have just come out of hospital after having a full knee replacement and have no chance of attending the match on Saturday,im totally gutted and at a loss. But if ifollow gives me the live game then I will subscribe, nethertheless , reading past topics on this, I see there are a few members on here who have had problems in the past. If anyone can enlighten me about the live matches I would be eternally grateful.

MK Dons is the first game others to follow are mid week evening games.

How are you getting on with your knee Dicko I had mine on the 9th May and I am really pleased with it, saw the surgeon last week and he put me on the list to have my other knee done.
Posted by: dicko995, August 2, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 13
Im struggling Pete. Leg is all inflamed and painful,getting a bit worried that I cant bend the knee at all. Im due back 5th September for consultation and go ahead for other knee to be done. My macho self ego was telling myself I would be sat in the box this Saturday for the game, but I got no chance in hell on that one. Never felt so low.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 2, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from dicko995
Im struggling Pete. Leg is all inflamed and painful,getting a bit worried that I cant bend the knee at all. Im due back 5th September for consultation and go ahead for other knee to be done. My macho self ego was telling myself I would be sat in the box this Saturday for the game, but I got no chance in hell on that one. Never felt so low.

It takes time Dicko we are not all the same but you will get there in the end,

I felt really down at first and said I wont bother having the other done then things got better and the pain went and now I am looking forward to the next op, so keep your pecker up mate things will improve.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from mimma
As for watching on a smart tv, I can get the internet on my telly. Can't I just log into I follow on that and watch it?

I'd imagine it will depend on whether your Smart TV supports HTML5 video.

Try this link on your TV:

https://html5test.com/

Just a guess but if it passes the test, it should probably work OK with iFollow (which I'm guessing uses HTML5).
Posted by: gtfckyle, August 2, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 16
Or you could just try logging into iFollow and playing one of the videos from the site that's already available. I see no reason why it then wouldn't work to stream the midweek games.

Getting a VPN on your Smart TV directly to watch the 3pm Saturday kick off is pretty much impossible I'd say.
Posted by: MarshMariner, August 2, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 17
What VPN's are people using?
Posted by: mimma, August 2, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Maringer

I'd imagine it will depend on whether your Smart TV supports HTML5 video.

Try this link on your TV:

https://html5test.com/

Just a guess but if it passes the test, it should probably work OK with iFollow (which I'm guessing uses HTML5).

Thanks for that.
Posted by: LH, August 2, 2018, 4:34pm; Reply: 19
Roughly how much data would streaming a match use up?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 20
Well, I found out that my TV has a built-in Lan adapter, so don't need any other stuff, I hope.  Anyway, after a lot of messing about, I was able to get a browser for the TV and entered in all the details of the URL for iFollow, this worked fine, I logged in to iFollow, everything went fine, then tried to play one of the videos there, nothing, it just won't play the videos!  I'm stumped.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 2, 2018, 4:56pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from sutton mariner

I've plugged my Chromebook into the TV using a HDMI cable and played the Gainsborough highlights on my Chromebook through iFollow but on the TV just got the highlights sound and no picture if that makes sense......any ideas ?

Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from LH
Roughly how much data would streaming a match use up?

Depends on the transmission quality - I don't use iFollow myself so no idea.

Supposedly it is an 'adaptive streamer' which checks the available bandwidth intermittently and ups or downs the bandwidth used as required. Of course, this doesn't help you if you want to limit the bandwidth used. Not sure if the iFollow player allows you to specify a limit or resolution.

I've read somewhere that, in general, streaming SD video works out around 1GB per hour with HD around 3GB but that was in reference to Netflix. Whether or not this is the case with iFollow, I don't know. Depends on the codec used and quality of the stream.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 5:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 123614
Well, I found out that my TV has a built-in Lan adapter, so don't need any other stuff, I hope.  Anyway, after a lot of messing about, I was able to get a browser for the TV and entered in all the details of the URL for iFollow, this worked fine, I logged in to iFollow, everything went fine, then tried to play one of the videos there, nothing, it just won't play the videos!  I'm stumped.

Try pointing your TV browser at http://html5test.com/ and see if it can support HTML5 video or not. Sounds as though it perhaps can't.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from promotion plaice

I've plugged my Chromebook into the TV using a HDMI cable and played the Gainsborough highlights on my Chromebook through iFollow but on the TV just got the highlights sound and no picture if that makes sense......any ideas ?

Have you plugged in your Chromebook before? Might need to check that the TV supports the resolution and frequency being sent along the HDMI cable. You might need to manually change the resolution on the TV for that matter.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 2, 2018, 5:32pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Maringer

Have you plugged in your Chromebook before? Might need to check that the TV supports the resolution and frequency being sent along the HDMI cable. You might need to manually change the resolution on the TV for that matter.

I've never plugged my Chromebook in before   :)
Gone into the Menu on the TV and found "Adjust screen frequency and phase automatically for viewing PC screen on TV"...... when selected it says "This function isn't available" .
Tried it on another TV and got the same.....sound but no picture   :)

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Maringer

Try pointing your TV browser at http://html5test.com/ and see if it can support HTML5 video or not. Sounds as though it perhaps can't.

I ran the test and it scored 488/ 555?. (I think it was 555, might be wrong though.)  

Posted by: fiveallive, August 2, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 27
I used Android Box for streaming Ifollow.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from promotion plaice

I've never plugged my Chromebook in before   :)
Gone into the Menu on the TV and found "Adjust screen frequency and phase automatically for viewing PC screen on TV"...... when selected it says "This function isn't available" .
Tried it on another TV and got the same.....sound but no picture   :)

Sorry, no experience of Chromebooks so I'd have to recommend a Google search for info. Perhaps worth trying a different HDMI port on your TV?
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 7:08pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 123614

I ran the test and it scored 488/ 555?. (I think it was 555, might be wrong though.)  

That's a pretty good score. My guess is that it will probably work OK. No guarantees, however!
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 2, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer

Sorry, no experience of Chromebooks so I'd have to recommend a Google search for info. Perhaps worth trying a different HDMI port on your TV?

Thanks for your help anyway   :)

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer

That's a pretty good score. My guess is that it will probably work OK. No guarantees, however!

It's still not working, but on the test site it mentioned something about the Opera browser, so I tried downloading that, but after 30 minutes it still hadn't finished, so I'm gonna leave it till early tomorrow morning and then try again.

Posted by: promotion plaice, August 2, 2018, 7:34pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer

Went into the settings in my Chromebook just now and had a play.......managed to mirror something by accident and now it's working a treat   ;D

Posted by: Civvy at last, August 2, 2018, 9:02pm; Reply: 33
I tried it on my TV but it’s blown the valve.
I rang David Burys for the TV repairman, but apparently he died 40 years ago.
Oh well, I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a colour one for a while.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Civvy at last
I tried it on my TV but it’s blown the valve.
I rang David Burys for the TV repairman, but apparently he died 40 years ago.
Oh well, I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a colour one for a while.

Try Rumbelow's.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 2, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MarshMariner
What VPN's are people using?

Nord VPN, there's a good deal. Three years for 99 dollars.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 11:25pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from 123614

It's still not working, but on the test site it mentioned something about the Opera browser, so I tried downloading that, but after 30 minutes it still hadn't finished, so I'm gonna leave it till early tomorrow morning and then try again.

I read that Opera have some sort of video streaming thing going on these days but, again, don't have any experience of that. You're probably best off searching using your TV model number as it will depend on what Smart TV software is used.

Regarding the HTML5test web site, my (relatively modern) PC using firefox gets 494/555. I'd imagine the breakdown will show if the Smart TV bit has enough video support - it mentions which codecs are supported or not. Unfortunately, a quick search about iFollow doesn't mention which codec they use so that leaves us none the wiser! Good luck, in any case.

We'll done to PP for fluking his way to a solution!  ;)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 3, 2018, 9:08am; Reply: 37
So I finally sorted it out this morning!  Surprising what a good nights sleep and 3 Weetabix can do for the old brain.

In the end it was really simple, I had a look at the apps, and noticed a 'TV Browser' app, thought I would have a look at that.  Bingo!!!  Typed in the url for iFollow and that was it, the video worked perfectly, now I'm all ready for 23rd August.  Thanks to everyone, especially Maringer for your help.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 3, 2018, 11:42pm; Reply: 38

I subscribed to iFollow last season but I haven't subscribed to it yet this season but it's still working for me? happy days
Posted by: psgmariner, August 4, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 39
Check your bank account. Think it auto renews unless you cancel it.
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 4, 2018, 3:08pm; Reply: 40
why dont we have a really clever fan who can get iFollow then stream it on Stream Hunter and we can all watch it for Free !!!!!
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 9:50am