Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 26, 2018, 11:07pm
Seems to be endearing himself to the Ipswich fans and players and clearly trying to show who's boss.

Non-GTFC I know but still an interesting story IMO.

Also states he's had a £400k bid turned down for Connor Townsend!

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/knudsen-contract-talks-not-top-priority-for-hurst-1-5623239
Posted by: Kris2, July 26, 2018, 11:22pm; Reply: 1
Why does everyone want to male masturbation off over Hurst still?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 26, 2018, 11:28pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Kris2

I never wanted to "male masturbation" over Hurst when he was here   ;D  

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 27, 2018, 12:03am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Kris2

This is a football forum, that was a football story regarding an ex-GTFC employee!

Is there a difference between this thread and the one about Macca getting the job as Sunny under-16's coach or Scott Vernon joining Clee Town?
Posted by: hheh2, July 27, 2018, 1:35am; Reply: 4
Hope we get him in a cup run this season
Posted by: somersetmariner, July 27, 2018, 5:22am; Reply: 5
Though the interest in Hurst is subsiding for me, I have to admit feeling very curious with all things Shrewsbury last year, as a football fan, the progress they made, with the ex GTFC players in their squad was good work and I certainly applauded Hurst from afar. Missing his gentle touch and soothing demeanour as we struggled on with an ol’ slap head. I wasted at least four boxes of Kleenex last season.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 27, 2018, 6:32am; Reply: 6
He’s done well got all the way to the championship without winning a meaningful promotion reminds me of slade really 😳 and like slade I personally think he’ll struggle at this level , but not that bothered either way 👍
Posted by: pizzzza, July 27, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 7
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
He’s done well got all the way to the championship without winning a meaningful promotion

Eh? So you don't consider his most recent promotion to be meaningful? It sure meant a lot to me!

Posted by: golfer, July 27, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 8
When you read the report on Hurst's transfer involvements it just highlights the differences in the amounts of money available [ millions that Bristol City can fork out ] compared to money that is being made available to Town. Scunthorpe rejecting £400K for Townsend on gates no more than ours. Is there something I am missing :X
Posted by: ivanosandwich, July 27, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 9
As much as I have a vague interest in knowing how he fares with Ipswich this season, I am more interested to see how Shrewsbury fare without him.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 27, 2018, 9:10am; Reply: 10
Quoted from golfer
When you read the report on Hurst's transfer involvements it just highlights the differences in the amounts of money available [ millions that Bristol City can fork out ] compared to money that is being made available to Town. Scunthorpe rejecting £400K for Townsend on gates no more than ours. Is there something I am missing :X

Eveything else aside I would imagine Scunny are raking in 2-3 times the tv revenue of Town at least? Last season Scunny were on live at least 3 times not sure what payment that gets but bound to be substantial?
Posted by: Dan, July 27, 2018, 9:22am; Reply: 11
Also, I don't think we've won a single cup game since we got back in the league, which won't have helped the budget at all.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 27, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 12
Quoted from hheh2
Hope we get him in a cup run this season

It would be worth it for the inevitable goal celebration from the Town fans. 👂
Posted by: Tommy, August 1, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 13
For anyone interested in reading about Hurst, there's a very open and interesting interview with him in the East Anglia Times >

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-hurst-the-big-interview-1-5631473

Great read I thought.

However, his take on wanting players to hate losing more than they love winning was very interesting. Wonder if that leads to his cautious nature and that of his teams here which often saw us appear to settle for a point & not take many calculated risks to push on for a win?
Might point to why we often went on decent "unbeaten" runs but never any good "winning" runs. Where we'd be unbeaten in 7 but 4 of them were draws and such like.

Not intended as a criticism of PH. It's something that arguably works for him as he's progressed his career relatively quickly. But you could always question what could he have done better (as any professional would ask of themselves).

And his "hate losing more than you love winning" mantra is probably great for firefighting jobs like when he went into Shrewsbury when they were in s relegation battle. But maybe if you're at the top end of the league that needs to evolve into a "winning" mentality rather than a "not losing" mentality. Just my opinion. And I might be reading too much into it. Sports psychologists might have more insight than me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 1, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 14
That article is a great read. I see your point Tommy about his hate losing mantra but this is a guy with a 50% win rate as manager. The great Alan Buckley had a 38% win rate and an unblemished reform with no relegations.

He always had us fighting for a play off place (1st full season aside) and his win rate (combined with Rob Scott) was 47.5%. We drew 3 games more than we lost over his time here. His record at Shrewsbury was similar and that achieved a play off place, which Ipswich fans would snap your hand off for right now.

Your argument is one that will always be there to be debated because going for a win is going to prove unsuccessful sometimes too and result in being hit on the break. I guess it is finding that balance and is the difference between automatic promotion and mid table.

Would you rather see your team lose 4-3 going for the win or draw 1-1?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 1, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 15
He's just said what everyone worked out for themselves while he was here. He's a percentage manager, who is happy to get to the play offs and gamble from there. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. He's not yet won outright promotion from a league and he may never achieve that, but he certainly knows how to organise teams, and how to further his career in the process. Not sure the fans will tolerate his style, the higher he climbs.
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 1, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 16
He’s progressed to an IPad.....
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 1, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 17
Let's be honest Hurst served a tough apprenticeship here but he did ok and it has served him well.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 1, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Let's be honest Hurst served a tough apprenticeship here but he did ok and it has served him well.

Think that`s a very fair and apt assessment.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 1, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 19
When he was here I remember him saying that as a player he always got the most satisfaction out of those 1-0 smash 'n'  grab style wins where it was backs to the wall for most of the game.  I think a lot of that came through as a manager too.

When all is said and done, he's managing in the Championship now and we've spent the last two years wondering what could have been with various players/managers.  I hope he does well at Ipswich.  He may be a grump but his mantra about hard work is a great one to have.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 1, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 20
Great read. Very honest and revealing. I hope he does really well at Ipswich.
Posted by: Garth, August 1, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 21
He's interested in signing Kayden Jackson, Acci want over a million for him, and Toto from Salop, he may get into Europe one day with Grimsby rejects
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 1, 2018, 4:22pm; Reply: 22
Toto and Nolan apparently just handed in transfer requests...
Posted by: Garth, August 1, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 23
You got to hand it to him they like playing for him, becoming the Yorkshire poacher
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 1, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from marinerdazza
Toto and Nolan apparently just handed in transfer requests...

Wow, that speaks volumes

A million quid each...
Posted by: marinerdazza, August 1, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 25
Shrews value Toto at £1 million. Funny how things turn out.
Posted by: paramariner, August 1, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 26
Don't think Hursts win percentage can be compared with Buckleys when you consider that a lot of Hursts games won were non league. Unless of course, those figures were just since he was managing in the league.
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 1, 2018, 5:15pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from paramariner
Don't think Hursts win percentage can be compared with Buckleys when you consider that a lot of Hursts games won were non league. Unless of course, those figures were just since he was managing in the league.

49.5 with us and 48.5 with Shrewsbury over 279 games
Posted by: TonySmith, August 1, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 28
Of course the stats can be compared. A win is a win and a defeat is a defeat. I would assume that Buckley generally had better players to manage since that were playing at a higher level.
Posted by: Tommy, August 1, 2018, 6:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TonySmith
Of course the stats can be compared. A win is a win and a defeat is a defeat. I would assume that Buckley generally had better players to manage since that were playing at a higher level.

I'd argue that there's more to it than just "a win's a win".

You'd expect a manager of GTFC to have a decent win percentage in the conference, where our resources and realistic expectations are much higher than competition at that level. Compared to Buckley having us punching above our weight against clubs of far superior resources and expectation.

Yes Buckley had better players to work with, but he was also playing against teams with better players.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 1, 2018, 6:56pm; Reply: 30
Fair point, Tommy.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 1, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 31
Always liked hurst, wish him well
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 1, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 32
I agree we were a small fish in a big pond for much of Buckley's time here but his win ratio never really varied elsewhere either.

Russell Slade has a career win percentage of 36.7% and out of his last 3 jobs, we have the best figure at just over 25%. Hurst has proven himself a safe pair of hands and pulled off a miracle keeping them up. This time last year they were favourites for the drop but he proved his ability in getting teams to the play-offs.
Posted by: Tommy, August 1, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I agree we were a small fish in a big pond for much of Buckley's time here but his win ratio never really varied elsewhere either.

Russell Slade has a career win percentage of 36.7% and out of his last 3 jobs, we have the best figure at just over 25%. Hurst has proven himself a safe pair of hands and pulled off a miracle keeping them up. This time last year they were favourites for the drop but he proved his ability in getting teams to the play-offs.

I'm not trying to put Hurst down. I just posed the question really as it got me thinking. And even though I agree he has done well in his career to date, there's always room for improvement. As with any profession. There's always things you could've done better, and in his own quest for personal development, I'm sure he asks questions of himself too.

But the win percentage you quote for Slade is similar to what you've quoted Buckley's as. For me that's the biggest argument possible against solely using that as a yard stick for judging a manager. Buckley was ten times the manager Slade is yet they have similar win percentages.

Yes use them as part of a comparison because it is about results, but you have to factor in several other things to give records context in my opinion.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 1, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 34
What a great read, comes across brilliantly and with certain parallels to Jolley, yet despite both being yorkies they are chalk n cheese. You feel that Jolley is revelling in the whole experience, whereas with hurst you get the feeling that his whole stay with us was done through gritted teeth.
Whatever, we were damn lucky to have him. And once again thank you for getting us back in the league via a never to be forgotten day
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 1, 2018, 11:26pm; Reply: 35
MJ wants to be apart of our community, where as PH could not wait to across the border back to yorkieland.

Only time will tell if MJ can be a successful manager for us, hopefully as successfully as his PR skills and we will be on a winner.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 1, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Tommy

I'm not trying to put Hurst down. I just posed the question really as it got me thinking. And even though I agree he has done well in his career to date, there's always room for improvement. As with any profession. There's always things you could've done better, and in his own quest for personal development, I'm sure he asks questions of himself too.

But the win percentage you quote for Slade is similar to what you've quoted Buckley's as. For me that's the biggest argument possible against solely using that as a yard stick for judging a manager. Buckley was ten times the manager Slade is yet they have similar win percentages.

Yes use them as part of a comparison because it is about results, but you have to factor in several other things to give records context in my opinion.

I agree with you there. The expectation last season was a play off push and I'm sure there were high expectations for Slade at Coventry and Charlton before us. Slades record has declined considerably the last 3 appointments whereas Buckley was consistent throughout his management career. I consider Sean Dyche an excellent manager and his win percentage is 38.6%. Against Mourinho (65.4%) and Guardiola (71.9%), Dyche's record appears terrible. Now consider, despite winning double the games Dyche's wins, Mourinho is the current favourite to be sacked first in the Premier League this season.

As we all know, football isn't an even playing field and Guardiola would not win 72% of his games at a more unfashionable club.

I was at work when I posted about Buckley earlier, just quickly searching other managers. I do not consider him in the same bracket as Slade. For a start, he was won things in his career and has a footballing philosophy.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 2, 2018, 12:08am; Reply: 37
Quoted from jamesgtfc
That article is a great read. I see your point Tommy about his hate losing mantra but this is a guy with a 50% win rate as manager. The great Alan Buckley had a 38% win rate and an unblemished reform with no relegations.

He always had us fighting for a play off place (1st full season aside) and his win rate (combined with Rob Scott) was 47.5%. We drew 3 games more than we lost over his time here. His record at Shrewsbury was similar and that achieved a play off place, which Ipswich fans would snap your hand off for right now.

Your argument is one that will always be there to be debated because going for a win is going to prove unsuccessful sometimes too and result in being hit on the break. I guess it is finding that balance and is the difference between automatic promotion and mid table.

Would you rather see your team lose 4-3 going for the win or draw 1-1?

Good Post that with some interesting points.

Regarding th question at the bottom... Give me a protected 1-1 draw over an entertaining 4-3 loss everytime. I like entertaining football as much as the next fan, but ultimately points means prizes and if it meant me watching a dull game that yields 1 or 3 points for Town then I'm all for it.

I do feel this season under Jolley will be more entertaining and expansive.... He seems to favour a culture of high pressing, high energy, attacking football and I think we'll see a fair few goals at the BP this year!

Can't wait for Saturday!

#UTM
Posted by: sam gy, August 2, 2018, 7:38am; Reply: 38
Whilst I didn’t expect us to struggle like we did last season, I certainly did not expect us to reach the playoffs. Our squad was simply not good enough.
Posted by: Dan, August 2, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 39
Quoted from The Yard Dog
MJ wants to be apart of our community, where as PH could not wait to across the border back to yorkieland.

Only time will tell if MJ can be a successful manager for us, hopefully as successfully as his PR skills and we will be on a winner.

One of the pieces in the article that stood out for me was at every club he’s managed, Hursts family stayed in Sheffield. No judgement from me here for that for that - you do what’s best for you, and no doubt that’s tough personally. I just thought it contrasted with MJ moving both to an unfashionable part of Sweden and an unfashionable part of Lincolnshire.

Of course it remains to be seen if Jolley will be successful, but you can’t question his commitment to trying.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 2, 2018, 8:36am; Reply: 40
Difference could be that Hurst has children.  I don't think Jolley does.  Much easier to up sticks when you don't have kids.
Posted by: Garth, August 2, 2018, 9:42am; Reply: 41
Shrewsbury forum calling him from anus to breakfast time, poison dwarf etc for last minute poaching attempts of Toto and Nolan.
What a difference a season makes.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 2, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 42
Toto and Nolan on the way I can see Ipswich conceding a few with him in the back four at that level surely it`s a step up too far even with his pace? Nolan will do fine though.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 2, 2018, 9:53am; Reply: 43
Some on here thought L2 was going to be a step too far and he was apparently one of the best CB’s in the L1 last season. I would trust Hurst’s judgement more than any other manager we’ve had in my lifetime (more than Jolley at the moment I’d say even). He worked a minor miracle even getting Shrewsbury to the play off final last season. He does need to succeed with Ipswich though, he doesn’t want to be getting himself a reputation as a nearly man.
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 2, 2018, 9:58am; Reply: 44
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Toto and Nolan on the way I can see Ipswich conceding a few with him in the back four at that level surely it`s a step up too far even with his pace? Nolan will do fine though.

I think both could struggle at Championship level. Then again I thought the same about them in L1 so what do I know!  :P
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 2, 2018, 10:23am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Mariner_09
Some on here thought L2 was going to be a step too far and he was apparently one of the best CB’s in the L1 last season. I would trust Hurst’s judgement more than any other manager we’ve had in my lifetime (more than Jolley at the moment I’d say even). He worked a minor miracle even getting Shrewsbury to the play off final last season. He does need to succeed with Ipswich though, he doesn’t want to be getting himself a reputation as a nearly man.

Toto is a fine player IMHO albeit he does have flaws than can and will be exploited by better players he excelled last Season but the quality of forwards in the Championship I feel will rip him apart.Mcarthy had a good run at Ipswich and they have always been noted for giving their manager time PH will do alright.
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 46
So, young defenders apparently can't improve in 2 years? He certainly had the physical attributes to be a Championship-level player. No reason he can't develop to be a decent one, though Premier League will probably be out of his reach.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 2, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 47
Did anyone think Simon Francis would play in the Prem?
Posted by: Maringer, August 2, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 48
I doubt it - still can't believe he does! Especially as he looked to cumbersome to be a full-back when playing for us.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 3, 2018, 10:38am; Reply: 49

Eight pages dedicated to Ipswich Town in this mornings local rag, seven of them 100% Hurst, they think the sun shines out of him! Not sure Knudsen and a couple of others he has openly slagged off would agree.

They're even giving away free Hurst masks at the first game tomorrow, there isn't one cupping his ear unfortunately. The local wurzels will have to wait a while, get on his back and then they'll see him in a different light unless of course he leaves them for a better offer.

Hurst is definitely in for Kayden Jackson, Toto and Nolan, one more ex Mariner and I can start watching the Tractor Boys as they'll be Town reserves
Posted by: realist, August 4, 2018, 7:46am; Reply: 50
He'll be sacked before the end of the season. Miserable little excrement
Posted by: norfuk mariner, August 6, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 51
Toto & Nolan now having medicals at Ipswich. Supposedly £2m fee!  ??)
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 6, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 52
Two years from now he'll take both of them and LJL to Real Madrid
Posted by: chaos33, August 6, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Toto & Nolan now having medicals at Ipswich. Supposedly £2m fee!  ??)

Is that £2m combined or each?

Not sure either is Championship quality as good as they are. I tend to think that the better players in the Championship will rinse Toto who I think can be erratic in decision making, concentration and positioning.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 6, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 54
I think that's maybe the early 20's Toto you're describing Chaos. He looked quality whenever I saw him last year and he's still absolutely no age for a centre back at 26. Think the £2m must be combined though!
Posted by: chaos33, August 6, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 55
I thought he looked pretty inconsistent in what I saw of him at Shrewsbury, although this is admittedly limited.
Really good at times, but some costly errors still there, especially early season.
Posted by: Poojah, August 6, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from chaos33

Is that £2m combined or each?

Not sure either is Championship quality as good as they are. I tend to think that the better players in the Championship will rinse Toto who I think can be erratic in decision making, concentration and positioning.

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? But then I thought the same of him in League One and he’s done alright there.

As good as he was for us in our promotion season, I’d never have had Jon Nolan down as a League One player either, let alone Championship. Just goes to show how little your average fan knows about the game really.

That said, neither Lincoln or Wrexham (both average conference sides at the time) fancied him as a non-league player, so maybe in this instance Hurst deserves all the credit for spotting his potential when seemingly no one else in the game could.

I remember at the time feeling it was one of his more underwhelming signings, in fact I was significantly more excited by Christian Jolley. Funny old game...

Posted by: promotion plaice, August 6, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from AdamHaddock

No chance.....Cowley will be the manager with Rhead taking over from Ronaldo.

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 6, 2018, 11:04pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Poojah

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? But then I thought the same of him in League One and he’s done alright there.

As good as he was for us in our promotion season, I’d never have had Jon Nolan down as a League One player either, let alone Championship. Just goes to show how little your average fan knows about the game really.

That said, neither Lincoln or Wrexham (both average conference sides at the time) fancied him as a non-league player, so maybe in this instance Hurst deserves all the credit for spotting his potential when seemingly no one else in the game could.

I remember at the time feeling it was one of his more underwhelming signings, in fact I was significantly more excited by Christian Jolley. Funny old game...

I remember Nolan playing for Stockport against Town and thought then he looked very good player.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 6, 2018, 11:24pm; Reply: 59
A million each for Toto and Nolan. And I read today that Brentford are slapping a price tag of £15m on Ollie Watkins (who they signed from Exeter for £1.8m).

The < £1m we got for Bogle is beginning to look more and more of a bad deal.
Posted by: Townee82, August 7, 2018, 2:05am; Reply: 60
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Heard they run a good stadium tour .
Posted by: Maringer, August 7, 2018, 7:08am; Reply: 61
Quoted from KingstonMariner
A million each for Toto and Nolan. And I read today that Brentford are slapping a price tag of £15m on Ollie Watkins (who they signed from Exeter for £1.8m).

The < £1m we got for Bogle is beginning to look more and more of a bad deal.

Really? He's not been able to hold down a place for the last 18 months and has only scored a handful of goals since he left us.

Toto and Nolan have been regulars at League One level and Watkins was a regular at Championship level last season. In comparison, I don't think Bogle has done anything to indicate he's worth more than we reportedly received.
Posted by: Croxton, August 7, 2018, 8:28am; Reply: 62
No offence chaps but this thread has swerved away from the cult that is Hurst to former players. Sick of seeing Hurst related threads wind on when real news is in short supply.
I notice that my posts frequently end threads so here's hoping...............
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 7, 2018, 8:33am; Reply: 63
I agree.  Let's make yours the last post on this thread..
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 7, 2018, 10:57am; Reply: 64
Agreed
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 7, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Croxton
No offence chaps but this thread has swerved away from the cult that is Hurst to former players. Sick of seeing Hurst related threads wind on when real news is in short supply.

Couldn't agree more, this thread has become tiresome.

Posted by: forza ivano, August 7, 2018, 11:32am; Reply: 66
Do I take it that we all agree that croxtons contribution should definitely be the final post on this thread? ;)
Posted by: Garth, August 7, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 67
Yup
Posted by: chaos33, August 7, 2018, 11:47am; Reply: 68
All in favour say aye...

:-)
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 7, 2018, 11:56am; Reply: 69
aye
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 7, 2018, 1:16pm; Reply: 70
Is that decision final?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 7, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 71
What was the question again?
Posted by: moosey_club, August 7, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 72
Absolutely closed.

Unless someone else has something to offer ?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 7, 2018, 10:24pm; Reply: 73
HURST OUT
Posted by: ginnywings, August 8, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 74
Toto and Nolan both signed by Ipswich on 3 year deals.

Some of our fans thought they were both poor players, which shows what the average fan knows.
Posted by: realist, August 8, 2018, 12:08pm; Reply: 75
Please stick to the topic of closing this thread
Posted by: Garth, August 8, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 76
This thread slams shut with the transfer window
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 8, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 77
are you all bullying the others to stop posting
Posted by: Yoda, August 11, 2018, 11:49am; Reply: 78
toto not good enough for the championship
Posted by: sam gy, August 11, 2018, 12:12pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Yoda
toto not good enough for the championship

How do you know? Every time he makes a step up, people seem to say he’s not good enough, but he keeps proving people wrong..
Posted by: rancido, August 11, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 80
Can we have a referendum on closing this post?
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 11, 2018, 1:45pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from rancido
Can we have a referendum on closing this post?

But if the referendum was to close post.  

Would it be a hard close or a soft one. One where we don’t close fully, but still get our forum back ?

And if we do close it can those who voted not to close it cry like babies and demand another referendum  ;)
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 11, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 82
the cult that is Hurst to former players.

You can change the l in cult for an n

I can't  see my way through the ear cupping and spoilt fans quote

And I firmly believe Rob Scott was the mouthpiece fall guy for Hursts thoughts

He had far too long to get us back in the league during in which time the football was dire at times and at best boring

Posted by: toontown, August 11, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
the cult that is Hurst to former players.

You can change the l in cult for an n

I can't  see my way through the ear cupping and spoilt fans quote

And I firmly believe Rob Scott was the mouthpiece fall guy for Hursts thoughts

He had far too long to get us back in the league during in which time the football was dire at times and at best boring

Yeah beating Halifax 7-1 at home was very tedious
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 11, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from toontown

And the most embarrassing moment in over 50 years of supporting town when we played them away
Posted by: Father Christmas, August 11, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from toontown

And away

Oh right
Posted by: jaygy, August 11, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 86
That Halifax 7-1 game was just a reaction from the players after Hurst had stupidly dropped Amond and Bogle for the previous games and played some random loan player in their place iirc
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 11, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Croxton

Didn't work this time Croxton but I also have noticed that my posts frequently end threads so here's hoping.
Posted by: Yoda, August 11, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 88
Braintree at home in the semi was awful

I was delighted when Hurst left.
Posted by: Grantley, August 11, 2018, 10:18pm; Reply: 89
And now he’s in the Championship! Bet he regrets leaving us.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 11, 2018, 10:52pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Maringer

Really? He's not been able to hold down a place for the last 18 months and has only scored a handful of goals since he left us.

Toto and Nolan have been regulars at League One level and Watkins was a regular at Championship level last season. In comparison, I don't think Bogle has done anything to indicate he's worth more than we reportedly received.

Yes really. Strikers command higher prices than other players. Bogle's not had a lucky time what with changes to managers, loans etc.

Plus you're looking at it with hindsight. When Bogle was sold he was in blistering form, which is what is relevant when the decision was made.
Posted by: sam gy, August 12, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from jaygy
That Halifax 7-1 game was just a reaction from the players after Hurst had stupidly dropped Amond and Bogle for the previous games and played some random loan player in their place iirc

Worked then, didn’t it?

People giving different reasons for why Hurst actually isn’t  that good are a bit embarrassing, for me. The guys record speaks for itself, he’s now two tiers above us, and there’s a good chance we wouldn’t be back in the league without him.

Posted by: Abdul19, August 12, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 92
Yeah but he cupped his ears in my general direction
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 12, 2018, 12:46pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from sam gy

Worked then, didn’t it?

People giving different reasons for why Hurst actually isn’t  that good are a bit embarrassing, for me. The guys record speaks for itself, he’s now two tiers above us,[/b] and there’s a good chance we wouldn’t be back in the league without him.[b]

So you are saying that Hursty was the ONLY manager to get us out of the conference, maybe our stay might had been less with a manager that went all out for top spot, rather than gambling on winning the play-offs.

He got us out of the conference, but now he is history, its the future with MJ that I am focused on now.

You can only go so far with the way he sets up his teams to play, no way Ipswich will be up there, the Championship is a different ball game to the League 1, 2 & conference.

Good luck to the bloke, get what you can while his stock is high, before the slide down the leagues.

Look foward and upwards with MJ

UTM

Posted by: grimsby pete, August 12, 2018, 1:07pm; Reply: 94
Lets look at thing about Hurst from every ones  point of view,

Hurst did not want to be here so he is happy,

The ones that did not like him  are    Happy he went,

The ones that thought he was great are Happy because they can say I told you so.

So we are all happy,

End of thread. ;)
Posted by: sam gy, August 12, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from The Yard Dog

So you are saying that Hursty was the ONLY manager to get us out of the conference, maybe our stay might had been less with a manager that went all out for top spot, rather than gambling on winning the play-offs.

Nope, I didn’t say that at all. I said there’s a good chance. I think he did the best he could with the players he had available to him....not sure whether we ever had a squad as good as any of the ones who won the league when we were down there.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter, i just find it strange that some people are so hell bent on trying to prove he’s not very good, when they guy got us promoted, has a brilliant win record and by all accounts is doing pretty good for himself.

As the song goes, “we hate it when our friends become successful”.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 12, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 96
He’s a championship manager that in its self is a huge achievement ,and at least financially I’d have thought he’s well sorted.  This appointment guarantees him more work even if it doesn’t go well at Ipswich and I’m certain he’ll manage one of the Sheff clubs at some point so all and all he’s doing pretty good
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 12, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 97
He’s a championship manager

Yet to be proven
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 12, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 98
He should be a hero here. Lifted us out of the toughest league to get out of in English professional football. Completely changed the culture of the playing staff from unprofessional, half arsed jokers to squads of professsionals that always gave it everything.

Bleating about the spoilt comment and ear cupping is embarrassing. It’s just a shame he never really got the backing he deserved when he got us up.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 12, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from sam gy

Nope, I didn’t say that at all. I said there’s a good chance. I think he did the best he could with the players he had available to him...[/b].not sure whether we ever had a squad as good as any of the ones who won the league when we were down there[b].

Anyway, it doesn’t matter, i just find it strange that some people are so hell bent on trying to prove he’s not very good, when they guy got us promoted, has a brilliant win record and by all accounts is doing pretty good for himself.

As the song goes, “we hate it when our friends become successful”.

Starting XI for the playoff final

James McKeown - League 2, GTFC
Richard Tait - Scottish Premiership, Motherwell
Toto Nsiala - Championship, Ipswich
Josh Gowling - Torquay
Gregor Robertson - retired
Nathan Arnold - retired won conference with Lincoln
Craig Disley - Cleethorpes Town, club legend
Craig Clay - Leyton Orient
Jon Nolan - Championship, Ipswich
Padraig Amond - League 2, Newport
Omar Bogle - Championship, loan Birmingham

Other squad players

Pittman - Truro
Hoban - Dunalk
East - ?
Marshall - loan Hyde
Monkhouse - playoff winner
Pearson - Wrexham

Thats a good squad assembled that should have won the conference, apart from Crawley and Fleetwood, this side were as good as the other winners (Mansfield, Luton, Barnet & Cheltenham), the difference being the managers of these teams.

Posted by: Cod Cheeks, August 12, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from headingly_mariner
He should be a hero here. Lifted us out of the toughest league to get out of in English professional football. Completely changed the culture of the playing staff from unprofessional, half arsed jokers to squads of professsionals that always gave it everything.

Bleating about the spoilt comment and ear cupping is embarrassing. It’s just a shame he never really got the backing he deserved when he got us up.

Don't be embarrassed headingly
Never were we spoiled by him,, his teams or his achievements and ear cupping instead of sharing the most joyous moment in a decade just demonstrated the total discord between him and his salary paying public.
I am so happy he's gone and I'm confident that MJ will do much better, hopefully he will take us with him
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 12, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 101
His ear cupping and 'spoilt' comment were pretty much of a piece with his earlier comments when him and Shouty joined. There was a snidey edge to him when he joined. He's gone now, but some people keep dragging up the subject every now and again when they want to prove that they were right all along about him. And then complain when people make negative comments about him!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 12, 2018, 4:56pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Yet to be proven

He’s employed by Ipswich town who play in the championship that makes him a championship manager doesn’t it
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 12, 2018, 5:08pm; Reply: 103

He’s employed by Ipswich town who play in the championship that makes him a championship manager doesn’t it

So was Russell Slade.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 12, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from arryarryarry

So was Russell Slade.

I thought we was on about the present
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 12, 2018, 5:31pm; Reply: 105
It does not matter if he turns out to be a good championship manager or a rubbish one..

He will have made a great deal of money when he leaves Ipswich and will get another job somewhere,

As long as its not here good luck to him I say.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 12, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 106
Arry, difference is that Slade WAS and Hurst IS! Hurst is a manager on the way up, Slade was on the way down. Not a fair comparison in my opinion.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 13, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from Mariner_09
Arry, difference is that Slade WAS and Hurst IS! Hurst is a manager on the way up, Slade was on the way down. Not a fair comparison in my opinion.

You missed the point, just because Hurst had been given the job at Ipswich is probably because of the job he did at Town and Shrewsbury, Just because he is now managing in the Championship doesn't mean he will do a good job.

My point about Slade was that any useless mammary can get a job in the Championship.

I personally don't give a frig what Hurst does now, he is history as far as I am concerned, if he does well, great for him, if he felicitations up then means diddly squat.

As for Slade being on the way down, he was on the way up when he got the Cardiff job.
Posted by: livosnose, August 13, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 108
[quote=3917]

Starting XI for the playoff final

James McKeown - League 2, GTFC
Richard Tait - Scottish Premiership, Motherwell
Toto Nsiala - Championship, Ipswich
Josh Gowling - Torquay
Gregor Robertson - retired
Nathan Arnold - retired won conference with Lincoln
Craig Disley - Cleethorpes Town, club legend
Craig Clay - Leyton Orient
Jon Nolan - Championship, Ipswich
Padraig Amond - League 2, Newport
Omar Bogle - Championship, loan Birmingham

Other squad players

Pittman - Truro
Hoban - Dunalk
East - ?
Marshall - loan Hyde
Monkhouse - playoff winner
Pearson - Wrexham

Thats a good squad assembled that should have won the conference, apart from Crawley and Fleetwood, this side were as good as the other winners (Mansfield, Luton, Barnet & Cheltenham), the difference being the managers of these teams.

East is at Bradford Park Avenue

Posted by: chaos33, August 13, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

Don't be embarrassed headingly
Never were we spoiled by him,, his teams or his achievements and ear cupping instead of sharing the most joyous moment in a decade just demonstrated the total discord between him and his salary paying public.
I am so happy he's gone and I'm confident that MJ will do much better, hopefully he will take us with him

This.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 14, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 110
PH did get the backing here though.The ST sales for the last two season`s he started as Manager were the highest in the Clubs history.Most Town fans got the ear cupping but most agreed he brought it on himself with his spoilt comments.Sadly PH suffered with LMS and those spats with the fans displayed this side of him.A decent Manager a decent man but zero PR skills he isn`t the first and he won`t be the last to not recognise the importance of that and in year`s to come he will be better thought of.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 14, 2018, 8:52am; Reply: 111
Bursty was a fantastic manager for us.... Possibly a bit dour but he's an old school Yorkshireman.

He's gone into to prove his credentials further up the pyramid with Shrewsbury - the way he turned them around from certain relegation candidates to one of the strongest sides in the division was miraculous. People forget it was a big risk for Hurst to go there, we were looking at a play off position, Shrews were in a downward spiral and we could easily have swapped leagues. Paul has faith in his abilities and fair play to him.

Success stories like that will always make you a target for bigger sides and I for one hope he does well at that level. It will be the same if Town are sitting around the upper eschlons of the division after Xmas, turning Town around like that will certainly make him appealing for bigger clubs looking for a manager.

I suppose the one negative for me was the way he left Town. I know he had a difficult relationship with some fans but the majority of us stood behind him when times were difficult and I thought he could have addressed the fans when he left for Shrews.

I'd say Hurst owes a lot to Fenty for where he is today, if the board had bowed to fan opinion after Braintree, Halifax, play off defeats etc and hit rid of Hurst, his career my never have recovered.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 14, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 112
They say every person is promoted in their chosen job until they reach their level of incompetence ,

Well I wonder who has reached theirs, Hurst ?  Toto ? Nolan ?  Jackson ?

We will soon find out.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 14, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Bursty was a fantastic manager for us.... Possibly a bit dour but he's an old school Yorkshireman.

He's gone into to prove his credentials further up the pyramid with Shrewsbury - the way he turned them around from certain relegation candidates to one of the strongest sides in the division was miraculous. People forget it was a big risk for Hurst to go there, we were looking at a play off position, Shrews were in a downward spiral and we could easily have swapped leagues. Paul has faith in his abilities and fair play to him.

Success stories like that will always make you a target for bigger sides and I for one hope he does well at that level. It will be the same if Town are sitting around the upper eschlons of the division after Xmas, turning Town around like that will certainly make him appealing for bigger clubs looking for a manager.

I suppose the one negative for me was the way he left Town. I know he had a difficult relationship with some fans but the majority of us stood behind him when times were difficult and I thought he could have addressed the fans when he left for Shrews.

I'd say Hurst owes a lot to Fenty for where he is today, if the board had bowed to fan opinion after Braintree, Halifax, play off defeats etc and hit rid of Hurst, his career my never have recovered.

What do you mean? PH wanted the S&C back-up that the club now has - are you suggesting JF deliberately denied PH the resource to get rid of him? Wasn't this also around the time that Mighty went into temporary retirement?
Posted by: Ipswin, August 14, 2018, 6:19pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from grimsby pete
They say every person is promoted in their chosen job until they reach their level of incompetence ,

Well I wonder who has reached theirs, Hurst ?  Toto ? Nolan ?  Jackson ?

We will soon find out.

I think at least three of these have already passed that point Pete

Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 8:27pm