Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 21, 2018, 8:30am
I had a debate last night with a good mate and he didn't get where I was coming from....
It stemmed around this...
I am a GTFC supporter but not always a GTFC fan,  I buy a season ticket, home and away shirt every season, jesus, I've even bought the GTFC mug and beach towel, so in short, I put money into the GTFC pot ans SUPPORT my beloved club...even if I'm not a FAN of the clubs running or style of football that's been played over the last couple of seasons..
I am a fan of Man Utd, from being a boy I've enjoyed watching them play from the comfort if my arm chair, never been to Old Trafford and never bought any merchandise, thus I am not a SUPPORTER but a FAN...
So, are you a,FAN or SUPPORTER??...answers on a postcard please...
Posted by: SteffiMariner, July 21, 2018, 8:33am; Reply: 1
Two team male masturbator..  :P
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, July 21, 2018, 8:44am; Reply: 2
What are you on about?

And for your information I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love

[img]https://billmain.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/elvis1.jpg?w=838[/img]
Posted by: lukeo, July 21, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 3
I'm a supporter, fan and lover of GTFC.

I like to follow Exeter and watch them from time to time. Every season I have a bet on promotions and this year I've gone with Derby, Scunny, Grimsby and Wrexham so i'll be 'following' their results.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 21, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 4

I am also a fan/supporter (call it what you want) of two teams......GTFC who I watch regularly and England that I have been to see about three times.

I have two pals that live in Cleethorpes that never watch Town but who are ardent Chelsea fans on the telly..... I don't think they have ever been to Stamford Bridge.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 21, 2018, 9:05am; Reply: 5
Fan or supporter? Just a play on words.

I consider myself an ardent Town fan, go home and at least half of away games.

If 'fan' is short for fanatic then both my wife and daughter would certainly call me a fan
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 21, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 6
years ago when I lived in London, I was lucky enough that the company I worked for had season tickets at Stamford bridge so was lucky enough to go and watch Chelsea and, having followed (supported?) them for a good few years before that enjoyed going to the games.

But, what I didn't get as much, was the amount of passion and enjoyment that I got from watching town play. Nothing has ever been able to replace that buzz of being stood/sat in the pontoon, or away end, with familiar faces. It doesn't matter if there is only 100 people for a Lincs cup game or 8000 for a league game. You can see what it means to people.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, July 21, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 7
The words can be used interchangeably.  I'm not sure why people feel the need to try to outbid one another on their devotion and fealty.

In a town like ours and given where the team are, it's likely that there are a lot of people in the town who will have a Premiership team or have connections to other teams through family.  I don't see them as "traitors" and the club should be cultivating everyone in the town with an interest in football to feel at least some affinity with their local club so that we can get a few more of those Premiership/SkySports football-watchers down to BP for a live game experience watching their own Town.
Posted by: RoboCod, July 21, 2018, 9:59am; Reply: 8
I'd say you're a 'follower' of Man Utd. You follow their results and follow their progress on TV. But not having been to Old Trafford or bought any merchandise isn't the true description of a fan, as posted above it's short for fanatic.
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 21, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 9
Grimsby Town and Auchinleck Talbot have equal shares of my undevoted attention, unqualified love, and of course, support.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 21, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 10
I went sparringly as a kid growing up in the 90’s...as despite being born in Grimsby I’ve never lived there. I made 4/5 games a year from 1993 to 1999 then From 99/00 until onwards I’d make half of the home games with my Grandad and then having my own car I had a season ticket from 03/04 to 07/08 and also made a handful of away games.

For the last 10 years I probably make it to 5/6 games a year, despite living in Lincoln I often work Anti-Football hours. I’ve not bought a Town shirt since 2012, I’m a bit bored of the Errea / Young combination. I used to have both home and away every season. I would say I’m a supporter but I’m definitely a part timer these days.
Posted by: MarinerMart, July 21, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 11
My work mate is a Liverpool 'fan'. I've seen GTFC more times at anfield than he has been there 😂
Posted by: immariner, July 21, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I am a fan of Man Utd, from being a boy I've enjoyed watching them play from the comfort if my arm chair, never been to Old Trafford.

This, this I can never get my head around. How have you never dropped this perceived attachment that you have? I used to follow Villa as a kid growing up in Immingham, had all their merchandise and everything. Got to about 13/14 (late 90s, when Villa were still pretty decent), realised it was proper flipping daft that I had this meaningless affinity for a football club I had never seen live and had no real connection to. Not long after, I started going to watch Town regularly. Villa are just A.N other football team to me now. I don't get how this journey isn't the same for all people who have a plastic team as a kid, especially if they know better.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 21, 2018, 12:05pm; Reply: 13
ONE CLUB, ONE LOVE. GTFC TIL I DIE.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 21, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from immariner

This, this I can never get my head around. How have you never dropped this perceived attachment that you have? I used to follow Villa as a kid growing up in Immingham, had all their merchandise and everything. Got to about 13/14 (late 90s, when Villa were still pretty decent), realised it was proper flipping daft that I had this meaningless affinity for a football club I had never seen live and had no real connection to. Not long after, I started going to watch Town regularly. Villa are just A.N other football team to me now. I don't get how this journey isn't the same for all people who have a plastic team as a kid, especially if they know better.

Because we are all individuals with differing opinions....I have no perceived affinity to Man Utd, it's just the team I chose to, as someone said earlier, to follow and have never stopped...the club that is and always be in my heart in Grimsby, the one I will support through thick n thin, the ups the downs and unlike some will renew my season ticket until they put the lud on my box!!!
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 21, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 15
My Father in Law used to be a wolves season ticket holder. He gave it up when he had kids due to commitment and money.

He now doesn’t even look at their results. He now supports Man Utd from an armchair. Knows nothing about football, hasn’t got a clue.

What does that make him?

A male private.

UTFM
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 21, 2018, 1:50pm; Reply: 16
Never been a supporter or fan of any club but Grimsby,

Do not get to many games recently but always buy stuff from the club shop when attending a home game,

I try to get to as many games when Town are down this way,

Players, managers and non chairmen come and go but GTFC is forever.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 21, 2018, 1:58pm; Reply: 17
I am a fan/supporter (whichever term you want to use) of the Mariners and Manchester City. LIke a lot of kids back then and the same today growing up in a town like this it is commonplace to support your local club and have some kind of affinity to another (dare i say bigger club).

I got my first season ticket as a young lad in the late 70's at BP and from my late teens, when I had the means, became a season ticket holder at City for a decade or more.  I would watch both whenever i could.

Various factors over the years made my visits to Manchester less frequent. Cost, family and life responsibilities etc. More recent times have seen me be a ST holder at  BP again.

Grimsby are my home town club, i grew up the proverbial stone's throw from the ground. I would certainly class GTFC as my main club today. What happens to them is important to me.

I get to City maybe once a season these days. I still love the club and class myself as a fan/supporter but i dont know if its just the Premier League era . the £££ etc but I am maybe not as passionate about the blues today as compared to days gone by. If I lived nearer Manchester that may be different.

I also class myself a fan of Celtic though only go occasionally. I follow Blackpool and Fleetwood because of my late father and do try to get to watch them a couple of times a season when I can but would never miss a Town home match to do so. So would not describe myself as a diehard by nay means.

Posted by: Gaffer58, July 21, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 18
If you are Town and also follow a "bigger club" the acid test is if they were playing each other who would you want to win. Say it's 3rd round FA Cup, Town to win as they need the additional revenue from extra games or "bigger club" as they have more chance of going all the way and winning the cup.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 21, 2018, 2:50pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from immariner

I agree with this! The amount of times I’ve had excrement from United fans for actually supporting Town is unreal. I probably dislike United more than any of Town’s rivals due to a lifetime of putting up with an abundance of armchair glory hunters from school right through to every work place I’ve been a part of. It’s peoples opinions in what they do and who they support but I’ve always felt supporting a successful Premier League team is such a cop out ! It’s taking the easy way option.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 22, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 20
I enjoy watching all grades of football from the Sunday league up to the World Cup,

The only two teams that disappoint me are Town and England,

BECAUSE,

I do not care a stuff about other teams just I enjoy watching football.
Posted by: SuperDan16, July 22, 2018, 4:01pm; Reply: 21
I’ve always received plenty of abuse about being a supposed ‘two team w____r’ for having allegiances with Grimsby Town and Manchester United. I’m from Urmston in Manchester originally and moved to Grimsby at an early age when my mum (originally from here) came home. Since being old enough to appreciate the game, I have followed both teams, had shirts and other merchandise etc. My first match was seeing Town in 1997 and have been going semi-regularly since (only ever had one season ticket as I can’t go to every game due to my work schedule involving weekends) whilst at the same time going to Old Trafford as often as possible. As well as this, I also go and watch Cleethorpes Town and Grimsby Borough, so does this make me a four team w_____r? I don’t really know, all I do know is I enjoy football and will continue to do so
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 22, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from SuperDan16
I’ve always received plenty of abuse about being a supposed ‘two team w____r’ for having allegiances with Grimsby Town and Manchester United. I’m from Urmston in Manchester originally and moved to Grimsby at an early age when my mum (originally from here) came home. Since being old enough to appreciate the game, I have followed both teams, had shirts and other merchandise etc. My first match was seeing Town in 1997 and have been going semi-regularly since (only ever had one season ticket as I can’t go to every game due to my work schedule involving weekends) whilst at the same time going to Old Trafford as often as possible. As well as this, I also go and watch Cleethorpes Town and Grimsby Borough, so does this make me a four team w_____r? I don’t really know, all I do know is I enjoy football and will continue to do so

Good for you Dan,, I think most on here would understand that,

The W..kers they do not like are the ones who do not support their home team but join the band wagon of a successful club that they have no connection with.

Posted by: ginnywings, July 22, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 23
Only two teams can elicit the same feeling in me, GTFC and England, and it's definitely stronger for GTFC. I could go and watch Barcelona v Real Madrid, with a plethora of world class players on show, appreciate the skill and the passion of the fans, but ultimately, would never ever feel what i do watching Town. Nothing will ever match that feeling watching Town win promotions under McMenemy, Kerr and especially Buckley, who got us playing some of the most exciting football I've ever seen at any level. I think this is what's kept me going for the last 15 years of almost universal dross. We get the odd glimpse of how it used to be, the Wembley win over FGR for example, but i keep up that affiliation, hoping that one day it will return, and if it does, there is no better feeling. It's been a very thin gruel for a very long time, but if and when it comes good, the wait will make it all the sweeter. No other team, apart from maybe England winning a major competition, could get anywhere near to that.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, July 22, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 24
Darlo Fan, but got a massive soft spot for Grimsby and I can enjoy the Town games aswell as feeling drunk off when they lose.

Two team male masturbator over here.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 22, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Darlo Fan, but got a massive soft spot for Grimsby and I can enjoy the Town games aswell as feeling drunk off when they lose.

Two team male masturbator over here.

So Darlington is your local team and Grimsby your bigger team you follow from afar!
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, July 22, 2018, 9:54pm; Reply: 26
(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)
Posted by: newarkmariner, July 22, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 27
I find it very difficult to get excited about watching anyone else but Town and England, its in my blood, it started in 1972,its my late fathers fault he used to drag us to BP when he was home from sea. Being honest when I lived in Newcastle I got free season tickets to watch them through work and I went quite regular because I couldn't get to GY, the trouble was I felt no emotion for them, win loose or draw I wasn't bothered, i never got butterflies in my stomach on match days like I do when I pull a town shirt on and set off to see my beloved mariners.So the answer to the question Fan or Supporter is neither because I am GTFC and they are me,UTFM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 23, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 28
I'm a fanatical supporter of GTFC... just the one club for me, although I do follow the results of a few other clubs as a result of where I've lived and had mates who have allegiances to their own (local) clubs
Posted by: MarinerMal, July 23, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 29
Since I was 7 or 8 and my uncle took me to an Arsenal game at Highbury, in the mid 70's, I've always followed their results and wanted them to do well. I was going to Grimsby games from before then and it's so its always GTFC who have been my team.

I've been a regular to BP throughout the years. There was a little break in the 90's were I didn't get to many games but I've been a season ticket holder for most of the past decade.

I'm not sure if following Arsenal's results and wishing they do well (unless they are playing Grimsby ofc) takes anything away from my support of GTFC.

Football always seems more interesting to me when you have a vested interest in one side winning for one reason or another.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 23, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MarinerMal
Since I was 7 or 8 and my uncle took me to an Arsenal game at Highbury, in the mid 70's, I've always followed their results and wanted them to do well. I was going to Grimsby games from before then and it's so its always GTFC who have been my team.

I've been a regular to BP throughout the years. There was a little break in the 90's were I didn't get to many games but I've been a season ticket holder for most of the past decade.

I'm not sure if following Arsenal's results and wishing they do well (unless they are playing Grimsby ofc) takes anything away from my support of GTFC.

Football always seems more interesting to me when you have a vested interest in one side winning for one reason or another.

I get that.... like always wanting Man U to lose

The only time I was torn on this was when they played the MK Dongs - if only they both could have lost!   ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2018, 2:24pm; Reply: 31
Supporter of Grimsby Town

Fan of Brechin City (I have been to 2 Brechin away games, but not yet to the uniquely quaint Glebe Park, have it on my list to do in the next couple of seasons)
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:55pm