Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2018, 1:43pm
Town go 1-0 up, well taken goal from Hooper.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 20, 2018, 1:45pm; Reply: 1
Hopefully another 3 on the 4th too.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 20, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 2
Where can I find score updates?
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, July 20, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 3
Lost 3-1
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 20, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 4
Report on website. Played 4x30 minutes, they equalised after 87 minutes and scored final 2 in ‘extra time” when numerous changes made.

Optimists will accept 1-1 away to Championship side after 90 minutes pessimists will say we are over trained and cannot last the pace😄😄😄

Good that Hooper found the net again and looks like 3-5-2 formation for coming season.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 20, 2018, 3:43pm; Reply: 5
Seems like the strongish starting  X1 did well and more than held their own although dont know how strong T'millers were to start with
Once we made lots of changes late onthe jo.e team took control
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 20, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Report on website. Played 4x30 minutes, they equalised after 87 minutes and scored final 2 in ‘extra time” when numerous changes made.

Optimists will accept 1-1 away to Championship side after 90 minutes pessimists will say we are over trained and cannot last the pace😄😄😄

Good that Hooper found the net again and looks like 3-5-2 formation for coming season.

We won't be playing many 120 minute games though next season, unless we have any cup games that go to extra-time.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 20, 2018, 3:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

We won't be playing many 120 minute games though next season, unless we have any cup games that go to extra-time.

Dont suppose any of the players played anywhere close to 120 mins!
Posted by: Davec, July 20, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 8
Does anybody know who the trialists were

Doubt it would be Flanagan when he's already played twice in less than a week for us.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2018, 5:21pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Davec
Does anybody know who the trialists were

Doubt it would be Flanagan when he's already played twice in less than a week for us.

Flanagan and O'Hanlon the two trialists came on for the 4th quarter.

I thought we played well for 3/4 of the game, defended well and it was a poor clearance from Macca that led to their equaliser.

Went to pieces a bit in the 4th quarter and more poor defending led to their second and third.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 20, 2018, 5:33pm; Reply: 10
The quartered match suggests t'millers are taking their stadium name a bit too seriously
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 11

MJ post match interview.........

"Good performance especially for the first 90 mins.... improvement and step forward from the Sunderland game....better shape  :)......Rotherham played a strong side and their manager was very complimentary on how we played........the whole idea of having 2 strikers on the pitch is we want to score goals and get the wing backs high and crosses into the box.....Hooper could be an important player for us this season........the 4 blocks of 30 mins were to give more players game time........not got a win yet but a promising performance and progress being made."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/ifollow--gaffer-delighted-with-rotherham-performance/
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 21, 2018, 7:07am; Reply: 12
Got to say what a goal by JJ, probably one of the nest defence splitting balls I've seen by a town player in years....if cook n hooper can do that against a championship defence I would not be surprised to see them.rip a few league 2 defenders apart...after seeing that am I worried we will not see goals this season??..not at all, reckon if JJ keeps getting more confident he'll net 15 plus for us.....
Posted by: Mallyner, July 21, 2018, 8:29am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

A game of 4 halves?  :)
Posted by: sam gy, July 21, 2018, 8:41am; Reply: 14
Great goal!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, July 21, 2018, 11:55am; Reply: 15
Paul Warne Rotherham manager yesterday.....
"The best thing for me was that we played against a 3-5-2, and in fairness Grimsby kept the ball really well and it was a better game than I could have hoped for, as in it was more like a Championship game than a League One fixture."

Not a bad testimonial to have and as Jolley says maybe we are moving in the right direction. Couple of more signings should do it!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 21, 2018, 12:03pm; Reply: 16
Great workout for the lads gives Jolley a good idea of what he wants the results are not important it's how we perform together at this stage It's a virtually new squad they need to gell and get it right BEFORE the big kick-off if that is possible. Preseason is the time to try players/things out ready to hit the ground running come August.
Posted by: BPMariner, July 21, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 17
Fantastically well taken goal by Hooper - hope he's going to continue where he left off last season
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 22, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 18
If we do not sign a striker we have Hooper. 8)

If we sign a good striker then we will have two who will score plenty of goals ( hopefully )

In the short highlights we passed the ball well and Hooper's goal was a peach.
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 22, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 19
We looked good in the highlights. Our defence kept the ball well, the wing backs pushed high up and it looks like our centre mids will get into the boss (Hessenthaler missing a sitter). The one weakness appears to be back post crosses. They scored one yesterday and missed one from a similar position, and Sunderland scored the same way. I think it's a tactical thing as much as the fault of the wingbacks, and something Jolley will be looking in to.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:32pm