Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, July 19, 2018, 12:40pm
Really one eyed article about MJ.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who-are-the-league-two-managers-no-10-michael-jolley-grimsby-town/
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 19, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 1
Seems pretty fair to me
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 19, 2018, 12:52pm; Reply: 2
Nothing wrong with it as far as I can see. It asks questions rather than makes statements about ability and competence.
Posted by: oldun, July 19, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 3
I do not think it is biased, a statement of facts and the fact that the feel good factor returned we crawled over the line. However he was able to change the mindset and improve the performance of several players. The article is right he is still an untried league manager and it may take time to make an impact in the league. I for one am pleased he is here and very interested to see how things pan out.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 19, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Cloudy

Just read it, seems pretty factual to me and they didn't bother to linger on his indiscretion.

He is untested in English football management and we are all hoping he makes a name for himself by being really successful at GTFC, only time will tell.
Posted by: Maringer, July 19, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 5
Seems fair looking at the situation from the outside but doesn't take into account just what he had to deal with when he came in. To be able to (eventually) get such an improvement from the squad he inherited was the impressive part. We may have squeaked home, but most here thought we were just about dead and buried long before then such was the disfunction state of our team.

I'm not expecting miracles this season - a hard-working and organised team which tries to play a bit  when given the chance will be fine for me and we can hopefully have a tilt at a play-off spot as well.
Posted by: Bignic69, July 19, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 6
Does literally relay facts but I can hear the tone in which it is said  ;D
Posted by: hheh2, July 19, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 7
Funny I thought the gimps praised young and up coming coaches?  ;D
Posted by: scrumble, July 19, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 8
The big question is why the hell has a lincoln site run a full story about the manager of another club? I'd be equally bemused if the fishy ran a similar story about the Cowleys
Posted by: mimma, July 19, 2018, 1:35pm; Reply: 9
They do the same article for every manager  in the 2nd. division. It was Jolleys turn.

It's a very fair assessment of where we are at IMHO,, and certainly not having a dig at us.
Posted by: Impish2, July 19, 2018, 1:44pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Cloudy

One eyed article? Only from a very cloudy perspective.

Watch all the red crosses mount up again.
Posted by: Grantley, July 19, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 11
I’m confused as to why playing relegation rivals is easier?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 19, 2018, 1:55pm; Reply: 12
I didn’t bother reading the article fuk Lincoln
Posted by: barralad, July 19, 2018, 2:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from scrumble
The big question is why the hell has a lincoln site run a full story about the manager of another club? I'd be equally bemused if the fishy ran a similar story about the Cowleys

I think they are running a full series on all 23 other League 2 managers.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 19, 2018, 2:17pm; Reply: 14
It’s number 10 of 23 so part of a series, don’t see anything too offensive. We would have been more offended if they’d only done 22 and left MJ out!
Posted by: Abdul19, July 19, 2018, 2:38pm; Reply: 15
Seems fair enough to me, although saying 'without those 3 goals they'd have had less points' is rather pointless (excuse the pun).
Posted by: AussieMariner, July 19, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 16
Pretty factual but ignores the fact that once settled in he got 4 wins and 1 draw in the last 5 - promotion form. Definitely a slice of luck but I suspect there’s a strong correlation between luck and one of his favourite attributes - energy.
Posted by: GrahamH, July 19, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 17
The only thing wrong with it was the statement kind fixtures? KOFF
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 19, 2018, 2:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
Seems fair enough to me, although saying 'without those 3 goals they'd have had less points' is rather pointless (excuse the pun).

Yeah, this notion of us being jammy with pens and having an easy run is a bit tenuous. The Chesterfield and Barnet penalties were fair. The Swindon one was an absolute robbery, I'll give them that but we were due some luck at some point. Otherwise, I agree with the consensus that it's a fair assessment. It's very well written too.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, July 19, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I didn’t bother reading the article fuk Lincoln

You can read though?
Posted by: RoboCod, July 19, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 20
A Fishy thread about Lincoln reaches 2 pages....we are officially obsessed with them ::)
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, July 19, 2018, 4:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Maringer
Seems fair looking at the situation from the outside but doesn't take into account just what he had to deal with when he came in. To be able to (eventually) get such an improvement from the squad he inherited was the impressive part. We may have squeaked home, but most here thought we were just about dead and buried long before then such was the disfunction state of our team.

I'm not expecting miracles this season - a hard-working and organised team which tries to play a bit  when given the chance will be fine for me and we can hopefully have a tilt at a play-off spot as well.

Thats what i see. Most of the players will be fine some VG but a few will be not as good as we hoped. MJ can then upgrade in those positions maybe in Jan or before next season.

If we are near to playoffs at season end can identify the weakness positions thats OK

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 19, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 22

You can read though?

Yeah I can read which Is why I come on here to post and read about my club not Lincoln not scunny the most successful club Lincolnshire as ever produced and the oldest  Grimsby town F.C.
Posted by: fleabag1970, July 19, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 23
Good read imo .... and one that highlights all the fears a grimsby fan must have going into next season if you are being honest with yourself .....
Posted by: Garth, July 19, 2018, 6:08pm; Reply: 24
Pretty much factual, no problems with it.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 19, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 25
Yes we played 3 of the bottom teams in the last 5 games. but so did all of the four teams in trouble play each other, so that cancels all that out, and we also beat play off chasing teams.  all 5 teams had something to play for when we played them, except for FGR when we were both safe, no mid table don't care teams.

The facts are correct, he' just presented them in a way that makes us look more fortunate.
Half of the Golden Boot's goals at the world cup were penalties....happens at all levels.
Yes there are concerns going forward, but the way MJ has conducted himself and his business since his arrival gives us hope for the future.  Whether that comes to fruition , we shall see!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 19, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 26
Don't really care to be honest. I actually saw some proper football towards the end of the season, and we totally outplayed promotion chasing Notts County, with some great attacking football. The Cowley brand of football (so far at least) is awful to watch, and i know which manager i prefer. We got those penalties, because we kept going for 90 mins and tired defenders made rash decisions. The last minute winner against County was more than deserved too. Last time i checked, penalties and late winners count the same as any other goals. Once the pressure was lifted, we battered FGR with some great stuff.

They aint half getting uppity over there aren't they?
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 9:00am