Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, July 14, 2018, 6:16pm
Is it right that The Trust have an open evening with MJ next week?

If so anyone know any details i.e. day,time,venue??
Posted by: Superdan147, July 14, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 1
Yes Monday 16th, 7pm in the trust bar. £3 entry ! They are also hoping to have Anthony limerick and Adam forest there. Was a good night last time
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 14, 2018, 10:57pm; Reply: 2
Taken from the Facebook page, get your questions in people.
Quoted from Mariners Trust Facebook Page | Posted: 11 July 2018
We are delighted to announce that Michael Jolley has agreed to a Q&A session with us on 16th July 2018.

You will need to purchase admission in advance, priced at just £3 per person. Tickets will also be available in the club shop from Tuesday.

As always, if you are unable to attend, we will be streaming live and welcome questions submitted in advance to enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk
Posted by: GrimRob, July 15, 2018, 1:06pm; Reply: 3
Anthony Limerick should keep everyone entertained with verses. I wonder if Anthony Limbrick will be there?

There once was a trader called Jolley
Who made his firm lots of lolley
But he gave up it all
To manage football
And take his career on the volley
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 15, 2018, 1:49pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from GrimRob
Anthony Limerick should keep everyone entertained with verses. I wonder if Anthony Limbrick will be there?

There once was a trader called Jolley
Who made his firm lots of lolley
But he gave up it all
To manage football
And take his career on the volley

Don't give up the day job.
Posted by: Bigdog, July 15, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 5
There once was a fish trader called Fenty
Who thinks lending two mill is plenty
Someone else can have a crack
When he gets it all back
Been sixteen long years, please not twenty
Posted by: GrimRob, July 15, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 6
When it comes to the Town nitty gritty
Take a look at the forum The Fishy
You'll hear all the views
See gossip and news
And not read a thing about Hull City
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2018, 11:58pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Bigdog
There once was a fish trader called Fenty
Who thinks lending two mill is plenty
Someone else can have a crack
When he gets it all back
Been sixteen long years, please not twenty

And ....Mr Fenty reckons we are going to relocate from Blundell Park
Come on John.....you're having a lark

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 16, 2018, 12:17am; Reply: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't give up the day job.

At least he has had a go.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 16, 2018, 4:30am; Reply: 9

Whoosh, get a grip man.
Posted by: toontown, July 16, 2018, 7:22am; Reply: 10
Tickets MUST be bought in advance? No pay on the day - really? We always criticise clubs that do that fo matches, nevermind our own trust for for q+a with the manager!
Posted by: Cloudy, July 16, 2018, 8:10am; Reply: 11
Quoted from toontown
Tickets MUST be bought in advance? No pay on the day - really? We always criticise clubs that do that fo matches, nevermind our own trust for for q+a with the manager!

Pay on the door.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/michael-jolley-qa-on-monday-night/
Posted by: toontown, July 16, 2018, 10:31am; Reply: 12
That's great cheers cloudy
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 16, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 13
Do you have to be a trust member to attend?
Posted by: AussieMariner, July 16, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 14

And i’m going to have a go as well
Xmas theme

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
I used to wish we still had Brolly
But now I cant be arsed
About living in the past
Cause I put my faith in Michael Jolley
Posted by: Cloudy, July 16, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Stew0_0
Do you have to be a trust member to attend?

No
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 16, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 16

What question would you ask tonight ?

I would ask Michael Jolley if he reads "The Fishy" forum    ;)
Posted by: GyMariner, July 16, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 17
Will this be available to watch anywhere? I’m sure we had a live YouTube stream last time!
Posted by: hheh2, July 16, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 18
what time?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 16, 2018, 7:14pm; Reply: 19
Thought this was/is being streamed?
Posted by: Sigone, July 16, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 20
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YpKkLDNmmBGj
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 16, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 21
My timing is amazing. Just logged on as they said, right we're going to take a break now.  :o
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 16, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 22
So.... What have we missed in the first half?
Posted by: Cloudy, July 16, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 23
Not missed much. Clifton about the fittest, Summerfield decided the offer wasn't for him, knows they have to play successful football but want to be on the front foot and attack teams.
Sounds like Akheem Rose is a fair way off a starting place, seen as a 'development' player as still very raw!

Has been informed about new stadium again in recent weeks but not his place to tell!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 16, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 24
Can we have a crowdfunder to buy a second microphone?
Posted by: Sigone, July 16, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 25
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNGaXlBgXbKj
Posted by: barralad, July 16, 2018, 8:13pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
Can we have a crowdfunder to buy a second microphone?

;D ;D Times is hard dontcha know..
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 16, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 27

Fancy Jolley not knowing where Freeman Street is   8)
Posted by: Cloudy, July 16, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 28
He does come over very well ( Jolley not Rutter!)

Liked the response about not having players diving. Seems we are still very much trying to bring players in despite MJ ( rightly) holding his cards close to his chest.

Seems to be likely that we may get an addition or two from Sweden in the January window ( once their season is over)
Posted by: cjbill, July 16, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 29
Mentioned we are still playing Rotherham on Friday behind closed doors
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 16, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Cloudy
He does come over very well ( Jolley not Rutter!)

Liked the response about not having players diving. Seems we are still very much trying to bring players in despite MJ ( rightly) holding his cards close to his chest.

Seems to be likely that we may get an addition or two from Sweden in the January window ( once their season is over)

Their season ends in the Autumn doesn't it? So if it's going to be January the timing is more likely about our transfer window opening.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 17, 2018, 12:36am; Reply: 31
I went along was a good Q&A but some questions had to be filtered/left as everytime a question came up with who are your transfer targets, which position and transfer fees etc Jolley said he is keeping info close to chest but to say we are active in the market.

Players are fittest group they have ever worked with, Clifton top of fitness results, appreciates importance of youth, character, work rates and potential. Expects all players to move into area and buy into the 'community' and passion of the club.

In regular updates from directors re.stadium but not his place to tell us but loving life at BP. Upgraded or improved at least a dozen things at training ground to make the team more professional and appealing to new players.

2 games a week until season starts now including rotherham behind closed doors, welsh wasnt brought in as captain but has all attributes and player backing for the role. Akheem Rose though has potential is a way behind others at the moment and raw still hence never featured vs clee town.

Wouldnt accept diving simulation from the team, thankfully doesnt know where freeman street is yet thankfully and all management barring Limbrick (yet) have moved to the area.

Just about sums it up. An enjoyable 2 hours.

See you at the park tomorrow
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, July 17, 2018, 5:38am; Reply: 32
Does listening and reading about MJ - (also when you draw parallels to Southgate and what England have achieved in small time) give you some measure of hope that finally we have someone who is about building for the future and not just their small part for the here and now! Up the mariners with MJ!!
Posted by: Cloudy, July 17, 2018, 6:43am; Reply: 33
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Their season ends in the Autumn doesn't it? So if it's going to be January the timing is more likely about our transfer window opening.

That's what I meant!. Jolley said Swedish season ends Nov /Dec and whilst their equivalent of our Jan window is now, it is harder for Clubs to get replacements in the mid season window. That is why he implied it would be our Jan window before he hopes to land a couple of players
Posted by: Sweden, July 17, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 34
Last games in Sweden is 11 nov.
Posted by: Maringer, July 17, 2018, 8:39am; Reply: 35
Should be easy to attract a couple of players across for the balmy English winter weather alone. We even have a bit more daylight!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 17, 2018, 8:45am; Reply: 36

For those that missed it.......

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/youtube--michael-jolleys-qa/
Posted by: mariner chopper, July 17, 2018, 8:59am; Reply: 37
Isn't the 'free transfer/unattached' deadline always about last week of November give or take - approx 25th?

So I guess by that logic we could get Swedish players after they finish on 11th November but before that deadline? Appreciate it would be tight.

However, yes I'd assume the majority of this sort of player would be January.
Posted by: Father Christmas, July 17, 2018, 9:48am; Reply: 38
That rutter comes across as a right tosspot

Slithering creep
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, July 17, 2018, 10:19am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Father Christmas

Slithering creep

Was Rutter not your Police football Liaison officer?

Posted by: pizzzza, July 17, 2018, 4:23pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Father Christmas

Slithering creep

I don't think I have ever heard a worse anecdote than that story right at the start about how he found a pub... and there it ended.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 17, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Cloudy

That's what I meant!. Jolley said Swedish season ends Nov /Dec and whilst their equivalent of our Jan window is now, it is harder for Clubs to get replacements in the mid season window. That is why he implied it would be our Jan window before he hopes to land a couple of players

Ah, ta. I haven't listened to much of it yet.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 17, 2018, 11:51pm; Reply: 42
Listening to this and tonight's interview I find Jolley much more confident, and much firmer in his responses. It's almost as though he's got over the initial nervous excitement and enthusiasm .now it's a case of my way or the high way , there's  an element of self confidence, almost arrogance when he speaks to the press. He doesn't give very much away and he has a number of set responses to deal with the routine questions. Sounds like he took 1 or 2 lessons from Buckley as to how to deal with local journalists :)
I don't think he will take kindly to being questioned when we hit a bit of bad form. :-/
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 18, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 43
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't think he will take kindly to being questioned when we hit a bit of bad form. :-/

He should be ok. He will have had another couple of years experience before then  ;)
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 18, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 44
Quoted from forza ivano
Listening to this and tonight's interview I find Jolley much more confident, and much firmer in his responses. It's almost as though he's got over the initial nervous excitement and enthusiasm .now it's a case of my way or the high way , there's  an element of self confidence, almost arrogance when he speaks to the press. He doesn't give very much away and he has a number of set responses to deal with the routine questions. Sounds like he took 1 or 2 lessons from Buckley as to how to deal with local journalists :)

I felt he dealt well with the press even before we went on that run. He obviously had some pretty shitty games to deal with in the first month, like Coventry, losing late on to Wycombe etc. Thought he handled those well too. He just seems to be very even-handed in whatever the circumstance.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 18, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 45

I felt he dealt well with the press even before we went on that run. He obviously had some pretty shitty games to deal with in the first month, like Coventry, losing late on to Wycombe etc. Thought he handled those well too. He just seems to be very even-handed in whatever the circumstance.

I thought he was a bit blunt with Matt Dean last night.
Posted by: Tommy, July 18, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I thought he was only a bit blunt when he was asked questions to which he'd already effectively answered with press releases on the club website, and when MD kept asking him similar questions. Notably asking how long Whitehouse would be out for, and then later asking him if he expects him to play this season.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 18, 2018, 12:49pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Rightly so imo. Matt likes to think he is some sort of investiagive journalist rather than a local sports reporter!

The questioning about how the Whitehouse injury occurred was cringe worthy.
Asking the same question in 7 different ways, as Tommy posted, is very naff
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 18, 2018, 12:51pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Tommy

I thought he was only a bit blunt when he was asked questions to which he'd already effectively answered with press releases on the club website, and when MD kept asking him similar questions. Notably asking how long Whitehouse would be out for, and then later asking him if he expects him to play this season.

There are certain things, which he has made abundantly clear, he will not discuss, and the main one is transfer speculation, so I don't know why it keeps getting brought up. He's made his position extremely clear. As a local football journalist, I appreciate they have to ask questions that supporters want answered, but equally, it might be easier to just say,"I assume you won't be making a comment on current speculation about Chris Long/delete as applicable" etc.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 18, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Cloudy

Rightly so imo. Matt likes to think he is some sort of investiagive journalist rather than a local sports reporter!

The questioning about how the Whitehouse injury occurred was cringe worthy.
Asking the same question in 7 different ways, as Tommy posted, is very naff

Would love to have heard Matt Dannatt on the radio  ;)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 18, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Tommy

I recall an earlier interview with Matt Dean where Jolley pulled him up for paraphrasing and effectively asking the same question. Having spoken to people who have had similar injuries previously it is impossible to put a time on a return until after the operation as the full extent of his injury will only become apparent under the knife.

I find questions about targets tedious as I don't feel managers should comment on them. I also like how he refers to debriefing with trialists.
Posted by: Croxton, July 18, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 51
You don't really get the feeling that Dean is in a conversation in these managers interviews. Much better in a studio phone in or with other journalists. His obsession with a player who will be out for so long was tedious.
Posted by: fiveallive, July 18, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 52
I have to agree Matt Dean just wouldn't let the Whitehouse issue go Jolley isn't a Doctor, he's out for the season look at Oxlaide-Chamberlain he's going to miss nearly all of this season with similar injury.

Jolley was right to get agitated with Matt Dean asking the same questions regarding transfers he didn't do himself any favours.

It obvious Jolley wants Koiki, Long, Vernam of Interest with Whitehouse injury, looking at Bowman aswell, but he can't talk to until the deal is completed. Which Matt Dean dosen't seem to understand.
Posted by: Croxton, July 18, 2018, 11:41pm; Reply: 53
Looking forward to JT's return. Good to see Big Chris on the prowl at BP last night. Always a bonus to get fan perspective on commentary. Pre and post match interviews are largely patronising twaddle.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:40pm