Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 14, 2018, 3:03pm
Think it might be interested to pick your England team for the first game of the next world cup. Thought it would be laugh. After all 4 years ago I'd probably said that Hart, Rooney, Walcott and Sturridge would be key members of this squad and of course that turned out well....

So here is mine, I'm still guessing we will be playing a 3-5-2

Pickford

Maguire, Stones, Lascelles

Trippier, Shaw

Foden, Loftus-Cheek, Alli

Brewster, Kane

This is probably complete garbage - I'm gambling Luke Shaw can make something of his career and Foden and Brewster are regular premier league players in four years time when history says they could be at a struggling championship club by then. Also I'm leaving out Sterling and Lingard who would still be in the prime of their careers.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 14, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 1
Bang on with Lascelles and Foden, but you’ve left out Sessegnon and Jadon Sancho of Dortmund. I fear Luke Shaw may never be the same again, although I hope I’m wrong.

And of course Dean Henderson will be the keeper by then!

We need central midfield guile more than anything.

Posted by: Bigdog, July 14, 2018, 3:41pm; Reply: 2
Maitland-Niles probably a good shout..
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 14, 2018, 3:51pm; Reply: 3
You’ve forgotten Clifton.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 14, 2018, 3:52pm; Reply: 4

Not sure about the England side but Jolley leaves us to take the England job after guiding us into the Premiership.

On the downside we're still playing at Blundell Park.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 14, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Heisenberg
Bang on with Lascelles and Foden, but you’ve left out Sessegnon and Jadon Sancho of Dortmund. I fear Luke Shaw may never be the same again, although I hope I’m wrong.

And of course Dean Henderson will be the keeper by then!

We need central midfield guile more than anything.

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about Sessegnon he's a better bet than Shaw. Never seen Sancho, Lookman of Everton might be a good bet too.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 14, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 6
Maybe Rice of WestHam in a back 3/4.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 14, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 7
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/fulham/178016/back-in-2007-daily-mail-predicted-their-england-team-of-the-future.html
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 14, 2018, 5:18pm; Reply: 8
My be easier to state which of this years squad should not or will not be in the next one.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 14, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Gaffer58
My be easier to state which of this years squad should not or will not be in the next one.

I prefer this idea

These are the ones I think should be in at 2022 WC (there's the 2020 Euros in between of course)

1 Jordan Pickford
5 John Stones
6 Harry Maguire
7 Jesse Lingard
12 Kieran Trippier
13 Jack Butland
19 Marcus Rashford
21 Ruben Loftus-Cheek
22 Trent Alexander-Arnold

Can't particularly suggest any outstanding candidates to come in there are surely a good few possibles apart of course from Sessegnon and Foden
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2018, 5:35pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from horsforthmariner
After all 4 years ago I'd probably said that Hart, Rooney, Walcott and Sturridge would be key members of this squad and of course that turned out well....

I remember thinking Jon Flanagan would be a regular!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 14, 2018, 5:35pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner

Thats hilarious - Bus shows the state of English football around the time - we had so little talent coming through after the "golden generation".
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 14, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 12
I think you'll see Angel Gomes of Man Utd becoming AN England regular in the next few years. The kid is destined to be a star..... think Raheem Sterling but with more trickery and finishing ability.

Dean Henderson too. Here's my 10p worth.

Dean Henderson

Harry Maguire
John Stones
Jamalle Lacselles

Kieran Trippier
Ryan Sessengnon

Phil Foden
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Angel Gomes

Harry Kane
Marcus Rashford

What we really need is a Paul Scholes/Michael Carrick/Steven Gérard type who can control the midfield and open up defences.

What I really like is that we are trying to develop grass roots football, and putting time and resources into the youth development (Under 17 and Under 20 World champions in last 12 months) and all the squads, seniors included all seem to be working to the same mantra.

Gareth has done a fantastic job in a short space of time and we have some outstanding young players coming through the system. We could be on the verge of another golden generation, but this time a forward-thinking manager who gets the best out the players is at the helm.

People forget we only adopted the 3-5-2 formation after we'd qualified for the world Cup and was actually a very brave decision to go with it and leave out seom seasoned pros and ones quite not for that in past tournaments would have been selected.

It all points to a very bright future for the English game IMO.
Posted by: fiveallive, July 14, 2018, 6:47pm; Reply: 13
Harry Winks would be the first name on the team sheet for me moving to the next world cup, he has the passing ability of Carrick, Ward-Prowse hopefully getting a look in aswell. Hopefully emergence of under 17 and under 21 players who have won tournaments Brewster.
It amazes me if I had my way Michael Carrick would have had won 200 caps.

Posted by: jimgtfc, July 14, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 14
Jordan Pickford

Axel Tuanzebe
John Stones
Harry Maguire

Trent Alexander-Arnold
Tom Davies
Harry Winks
Phil Foden
Ryan Sessegnon

Marcus Rashford
Harry Kane

Gone for a few outsiders, but I’d expect the likes of Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Loftus-Cheek to be there or thereabouts. We’re desperate for some creativity in the middle of the park and I hope Pep can inspire and coach Foden to be that player.
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 14, 2018, 10:44pm; Reply: 15
You need a couple of Jocks in there to have any chance at all. ;)
Posted by: SheepGTFC, July 15, 2018, 3:35am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Gaffer58
Maybe Rice of WestHam in a back 3/4.

He's Irish
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 15, 2018, 11:13am; Reply: 17
Quoted from SheepGTFC

He's Irish

He might have a grandad that is English,

Well it works for them ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, July 15, 2018, 11:23am; Reply: 18
That's exactly what they've done with him!
Posted by: rancido, July 15, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 19
I think we will get a better idea of what the next World Cup squad will look like by Southgate's approach to the Euros, which start this September. I think he has laid the foundations for what could be a very good Euro campaign in 2020 , which will bode well for the 2022 World Cup. We certainly did far better at this World Cup than was predicted but ultimately a lack of experience and a couple of basic mistakes left us lacking in a couple of areas. Southgate is clever enough to learn from this and I'm sure the backroom staff will analyse each game to see where improvements can be made.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 15, 2018, 4:01pm; Reply: 20
God help us if Kane is still our main striker option (unless of course we get lots of penalties) come December 2022, surely someone else will have come through by then
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 15, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Think it might be interested to pick your England team for the first game of the next world cup. Thought it would be laugh. After all 4 years ago I'd probably said that Hart, Rooney, Walcott and Sturridge would be key members of this squad and of course that turned out well....

So here is mine, I'm still guessing we will be playing a 3-5-2

Pickford

Maguire, Stones, Lascelles

Trippier, Shaw

Foden, Loftus-Cheek, Alli

Brewster, Kane

This is probably complete garbage - I'm gambling Luke Shaw can make something of his career and Foden and Brewster are regular premier league players in four years time when history says they could be at a struggling championship club by then. Also I'm leaving out Sterling and Lingard who would still be in the prime of their careers.

What has Alli contributed this World Cup to suggest he should be in the next?
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, July 15, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 22
Lewis Cook at Bournemouth looks great to me, reminds me a little of Iniesta the way he glides about the pitch. I hope he continues to get game time and improve. I think he captained the U20 team that won the world cup.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 15, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 23
Don't think we could accurately predict the England team in 4 months let alone 4 years!
Posted by: mimma, July 15, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 24
Four years ago Alexander Trent Derby wasn't heard of. You would have had to have been looking at the U12s to even think of him four years ago.

For me, Ali thinks he's made it and is better than he actually is. He needs to knuckle down and do the basics and work hard.

Kane gets found out against the top sides although at Spurs he has players that play around him more than they do for England. He badly needed help up front.

We were worried about our defence and keeper, but as it turned out they were the best thing for us at this World Cup. At least we have that to build on.

In four years time will there be some outstanding 18 - 19 year old English players playing regularly in the Prem. League?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, July 15, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

What has Alli contributed this World Cup to suggest he should be in the next?

I don't think Alli had a great World Cup but I'm not going to write him off after an average (not terrible) tournament. He's scored 37 goals in 106 appearances for Spurs in the Premier League by the age of 22 and contributed a huge number of assists. To put that into context Steven Gerrard was 26 when he scored his 37th Premier League Goal and was Lampard was 25, If he was German or Spanish we'd all be raving about how they'd got another huge talent.

The problem for England is that we really don't move the ball around quickly enough in the final third (to be fair thats partially his fault) but when we do he can be deadly (for example against Sweden).
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:22pm