Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Youngy, July 13, 2018, 2:18pm
This World Cup has been fantastic, twists and turns on a game by game basis and no end of goals (1 0-0 in 62 games) but I can't help but get the feeling this maybe the last true great World Cup.

Four years time will see the farce that is the Qatar tournament which by all accounts will be held in November. This is going to see massive disruption to domestic seasons across the globe as well as ongoing battles between football associations and clubs. How the hell FIFA didn't even consider that hosting a World Cup in the middle of a desert may lead to issues with climate control is farcical (well money talks I guess).

Then in 2026 we see the introduction of the 48 team World Cup and surely that will be overkill with the introduction of more 'less then capable' teams and the group stages going to 2 games but the addition of an extra knock out round (more extra time and penalty drag outs potentially).

I just wonder now if we've seen the peak of what in my eyes is the greatest sporting competition in the world?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 13, 2018, 2:30pm; Reply: 1
The last true great world cup was in 1966!  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 13, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 2
Let's for a second forget about the human rights issues, heck if we dwelled on those we could probably pull every host country of every event in the world to pieces.

But I really struggle with this grumble about the World Cup taking place somewhere where it's dead hot.  Isn't this a World Cup? Countries in the Middle East have as much right to host the tournament as much as those in European countries or anywhere else that doesn't fit in with agenda of the European Leagues.

So it has to be in November?  So what.  Other countries disrupt their season to fit in with the World Cup, so why should we be exempt from it.  Personally a winter World Cup will be brilliant for me.  I've had the dilemma for large parts of this World Cup; enjoy the sunshine or sit inside and watch the football.  A winter World Cup provides a great distraction from the dark days and nights.

The numbers wise, I agree with.  It's clearly just a ploy to get more teams there and milk advertising revenue for as much as they can.  That said, it's the supposed lesser sides who've provided as much entertainment this time round as the big boys.  
Posted by: Vance Warner, July 14, 2018, 9:30am; Reply: 3
Be interesting to see what happens with lower league fixtures during the World Cup. No point in town having a month off. If you gave me the choice of watching England on telly or town in the rain (remember that stuff) I know where I'd be.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 14, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Vance Warner
Be interesting to see what happens with lower league fixtures during the World Cup. No point in town having a month off. If you gave me the choice of watching England on telly or town in the rain (remember that stuff) I know where I'd be.

I wouldn't think that League 1 and 2 games will be called off but I'm sure they will be scheduled so that they don't clash with any England games.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 14, 2018, 11:58am; Reply: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
Let's for a second forget about the human rights issues, heck if we dwelled on those we could probably pull every host country of every event in the world to pieces.

But I really struggle with this grumble about the World Cup taking place somewhere where it's dead hot.  Isn't this a World Cup? Countries in the Middle East have as much right to host the tournament as much as those in European countries or anywhere else that doesn't fit in with agenda of the European Leagues.

So it has to be in November?  So what.  Other countries disrupt their season to fit in with the World Cup, so why should we be exempt from it.  Personally a winter World Cup will be brilliant for me.  I've had the dilemma for large parts of this World Cup; enjoy the sunshine or sit inside and watch the football.  A winter World Cup provides a great distraction from the dark days and nights.

The numbers wise, I agree with.  It's clearly just a ploy to get more teams there and milk advertising revenue for as much as they can.  That said, it's the supposed lesser sides who've provided as much entertainment this time round as the big boys.  

To imply there's an equivalence between Germany and France say on the one hand and Qatar on the other in respect of human rights is bonkers. Then we have the issue of workplace safety or lack of it. What's the death toll up to now in Qatar on construction sites?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 14, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from KingstonMariner

To imply there's an equivalence between Germany and France say on the one hand and Qatar on the other in respect of human rights is bonkers. Then we have the issue of workplace safety or lack of it. What's the death toll up to now in Qatar on construction sites?

Reckoned to be about 1200 in 2015, and estimates say that as many as 4000 could die by the time the tournament starts in 2022.  ??)
Posted by: Ipswin, July 14, 2018, 12:20pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

I wouldn't think that League 1 and 2 games will be called off but I'm sure they will be scheduled so that they don't clash with any England games.

Assuming England qualify of course  ;)

Posted by: grimsby pete, July 14, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Ipswin

Assuming England qualify of course  ;)

To be honest I would not mind England missing this one,

Its like the checkatrade thingy it should not be played , well not there ,

Its all about money how on earth they got the tournament just tells you what the ex FIFA men where all about.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 14, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete

To be honest I would not mind England missing this one,

Its like the checkatrade thingy it should not be played , well not there ,

Its all about money how on earth they got the tournament just tells you what the ex FIFA men where all about.

But we're going to be world beaters in 4 years.............aren't we?

Posted by: Civvy at last, July 14, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 10

But I really struggle with this grumble about the World Cup taking place somewhere where it's dead hot.  Isn't this a World Cup? Countries in the Middle East have as much right to host the tournament as much as those in European countries or anywhere else that doesn't fit in with agenda of the European Leagues

I totally agree about geographical location. It should never be an issue. But Qatar have NEVER qualified for the World Cup. So how all of a sudden do they get to host it ?  I think most of us know the answer to that one. !!  

England have regained some respect from me. But I doubt I will ever be as passionate about them again. Probably a combination of age and the changing face of top flight football.

Maybe I should  just concentrate on Town now. UTM.

Posted by: grimsby pete, July 14, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin

But we're going to be world beaters in 4 years.............aren't we?

IF we can play the last 60 mins like we play the first 30 mins in a game,

AND

IF we start taking our chances instead of relying on set pieces,

We might be. ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, July 14, 2018, 1:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete

IF we can play the last 60 mins like we play the first 30 mins in a game,

AND

IF we start taking our chances instead of relying on set pieces,

We might be. ;)

Trouble is Pete, apart from those first few minutes against the pride of Africa in game 1, I don't recall them actually creating that many chances
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2018, 3:10pm; Reply: 13
I think they should rethink the whole format. Having one big summer tournament played in one place every 4 years was devised in an era when it was a lot harder to travel. They could think about staggering the extended group stages over a longer period, even more than one season, and then just have the knock-out part as a single tournament?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2018, 4:04pm; Reply: 14
If the World Cup wasn't one big tournament, it'd be shit. Watching 3 group games a day is what makes it great!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 14, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19
If the World Cup wasn't one big tournament, it'd be shit. Watching 3 group games a day is what makes it great!

Totally agree. If it was just a knock out and your team lost the first game, it'd be sh1t.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 14, 2018, 5:04pm; Reply: 16

China for the Olympics?
South Africa/Russia for the World Cup?

Pretty sure Germany had some dodgy human rights issues before '36 Olympics 😉
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 14, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 17
Think if you asked the head honcho of both the olympics and FIFA they would all state it's easier to organise the events in countries that shall we say are not quite a democratic as others. Various problems can just be eradicated without having to have a committee meeting.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 14, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 18

China for the Olympics?
South Africa/Russia for the World Cup?

Pretty sure Germany had some dodgy human rights issues before '36 Olympics 😉

We're talking about the here and now, not 70 or 80 years ago. Germany's about as clean as they come now. SA's worst excesses are in the past too - more about corruption there than human rights abuses now. Can't punish a country for its history. I'm not defending Russia's or China's records on human rights, though I dare say Russia would stack up pretty well against Qatar. And in any case, Russia has many other merits that Qatar doesn't have as a host of a football tournament.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 14, 2018, 6:03pm; Reply: 19
There's one thing, Russia does not have a hooligan problem.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 14, 2018, 6:46pm; Reply: 20

We're talking about the here and now, not 70 or 80 years ago. Germany's about as clean as they come now. SA's worst excesses are in the past too - more about corruption there than human rights abuses now. Can't punish a country for its history. I'm not defending Russia's or China's records on human rights, though I dare say Russia would stack up pretty well against Qatar. And in any case, Russia has many other merits that Qatar doesn't have as a host of a football tournament.

I was joking regards Germany.

I did say that taking the human rights issue out of it. Let's face it, the big issue for a lot of people isn't the human rights issue. It's the fact it'll disrupt the Sky Sports scheduling.

Posted by: chaos33, July 14, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 21
In 2026, when the World Cup goes to 48 teams - that basically means that any nation that plays football...any nation...will qualify. Except San Marino, The Faroe Islands, and Scotland.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2018, 11:03pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Abdul19

Not if it makes next to no difference what the outcome is. Don't forget 48 teams going to 32 when the knock-out starts in 16 groups of 3 with the top 2 qualifying, which is what it is going to change to. The group stage is going to be largely meaningless with only the very poor teams eliminated, more like the cricket world cup. As the OP says the format of the competition is going to change profoundly.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 14, 2018, 11:16pm; Reply: 23

I was joking regards Germany.

I did say that taking the human rights issue out of it. Let's face it, the big issue for a lot of people isn't the human rights issue. It's the fact it'll disrupt the Sky Sports scheduling.

Ah, fair enough.

The fact it'd disrupt Sky Sports scheduling is one great positive IMO.  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 14, 2018, 11:20pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Gaffer58

Do you mean it's not regarded as a problem by authority?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 14, 2018, 11:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Gaffer58

UEFA Euro 2016 riots Marseille

"The next day, English and Russian fans clashed before that evening's game between the two teams. The police again used tear gas and a water cannon to control crowds. Immediately after the match, which ended in a 1–1 draw, around 150 Russian fans at the Stade Vélodrome charged towards England supporters in a neighbouring terrace. Russian fans set off flares and climbed over fencing to attack the opposing supporters.Two Russian supporters were also arrested over a pitch invasion during the game. Two England fans were left in comas after being attacked with hammers and iron bars by Russian hooligans.Video footage was later released showing the Russian hooligans attacking English fans with chairs and metal bars. The chief prosecutor in Marseille called the group "hyper-rapid and hyper-violent".
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 26

Just thought I'd mention that France won the 2018 World Cup   :)
Posted by: MarinerRob, July 15, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 27
And Harry Kane won the Golden Boot with 6 goals. Three penalties, two goals from 3 yards out and a deflection of his heel.
I know he scored more than anyone else but these stats won't scare any opposition.
I have to say I was disappointed with him. Whether being captain changed his style of play or not having his Tottenham team mates playing to his strengths was the problem.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 15, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MarinerRob
And Harry Kane won the Golden Boot with 6 goals. Three penalties, two goals from 3 yards out and a deflection of his heel.
I know he scored more than anyone else but these stats won't scare any opposition.
I have to say I was disappointed with him. Whether being captain changed his style of play or not having his Tottenham team mates playing to his strengths was the problem.

i wouldnt claim to be a master technician but..  as the system selected saw him largely playing in midfield facing his own goal ...then that probably had some bearing on his ability to score goals  :)
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, July 16, 2018, 5:46am; Reply: 29
And the lowest ranking team at the 2022 world cup will most likely be the hosts - never had a prayer to whichever god you want to pick of qualifying ever any other way! Oh well turn up win take the trophy Done - isnt that what we used to do in the middle east :)
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 3:07pm