Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, July 12, 2018, 12:51pm
According to the Fishy, our highest gate receipts  are £119,799 v Aston Villa, FA Cup 4th Rd 1994.

I find it hard to believe that is still the case, but does anyone know if it has ever been surpassed and if so when?
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 12, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 1
Not really that hard to believe.

That would be the last 'big' game before Blundell Park became all-seater the following summer.  After that we limited ourselves to gates of under 10000.  Even if everyone paid £15 and we sold all 10000 seats it would only be £150,000.  Taking into account that kids tickets are much cheaper than the adult ones and we've had a capacity that's actually under 10000 since 1995, can't see anything coming even close to that.  

I think even when we installed the green temp seats in the corner we didn't have enough to get five-figure gates.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 12, 2018, 9:21pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from diehardmariner
Not really that hard to believe.

That would be the last 'big' game before Blundell Park became all-seater the following summer.  After that we limited ourselves to gates of under 10000.  Even if everyone paid £15 and we sold all 10000 seats it would only be £150,000.  Taking into account that kids tickets are much cheaper than the adult ones and we've had a capacity that's actually under 10000 since 1995, can't see anything coming even close to that.  

I think even when we installed the green temp seats in the corner we didn't have enough to get five-figure gates.

JF may take that as a challenge...imagine if we do ever draw Man Utd, Man City at home...one off price of $50  ;)
Posted by: always grimsby, July 12, 2018, 9:43pm; Reply: 3
Man Utd are the only so called big team I have never seen town play in 50yrs watching the Mighty Mariners !!
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 13, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 4
Quoted from always grimsby
Man Utd are the only so called big team I have never seen town play in 50yrs watching the Mighty Mariners !!

Suppose it depends on your definition of a big team and how big they were at the time.

I saw Town play Chelsea in 1996 but despite having Ruud Gullitt on show, they weren't really a big team back then.  They finished 11th that season  and were closer (points wise) to relegation than they were the title,  Now they're absolutely massive.

Saw Town play Man City in 1996/97 when we got relegated (Michael Appleton goal which went down well with the travelling fans) but they finished mid-table in the second flight.  A few years later we played them again as they ran away with the title.  Again, no way near the club they are now.  

Leeds seen a few times in cups and friendlies.  Cup wise when we played them in '98 they were on the rise but a year or so before they came close to upsetting Europe's elite.

Nottm. Forest, huge history but only seen them play when they've been well off the elite.

Villa - couple of cup games when they were there or thereabouts in the title picture for a bit (early 90's).

Spurs - Twice in the cup, big club but on neither occasion were they what you could call a major player.  I think the first time they were FA Cup holders, which probably meant more then than it does now.

Biggest club I've seen has to be Liverpool.  Especially second time round when they were on the back of the Cup Treble and I'm pretty sure had just won the European Super Cup.  
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 13, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 5
Doesn't really matter what your definition of a big team is really. The facts are that Man United are THE ONLY team that we havn't played in the past 50 years.

I think the next longest is Southampton who we haven't played (in a competitive game) since the late '70's.
Posted by: oldun, July 13, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 6
Newcastle always brought a big crowd. Villa, Everton, Wolves in their heyday.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 13, 2018, 7:57pm; Reply: 7
In this day and age I hate the term 'big club'. Why are they big? Because some ruski or Chinese bloke has got them there.

I was at the villa, Tottenham, Chelsea and West Ham games. Seen town play Man City , arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, Leicester and loads of premiership clubs.

But, you know what, I'd take a full house playing the likes of Lincoln/scunts/herl or a game that actually mattered over that sh1te
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 13, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin
Doesn't really matter what your definition of a big team is really. The facts are that Man United are THE ONLY team that we havn't played in the past 50 years.

I think the next longest is Southampton who we haven't played (in a competitive game) since the late '70's.

Fukin ell Les you know some stuff fella 😉

Man U away in the later stages of the FA Cup it is then.
Posted by: MarinerRob, July 14, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 9
I don't think we have played Man Utd since we were in the 1st Division back in 1948 - 70 years ago!
[url]http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/head-to-head/grimsby-town/vs/manchester-united/[/url]
Posted by: GrimRob, July 14, 2018, 11:08pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MarinerRob
I don't think we have played Man Utd since we were in the 1st Division back in 1948 - 70 years ago!
[url]http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/head-to-head/grimsby-town/vs/manchester-united/[/url]

We haven't played United since 1948, Southampton since 1977, Everton 1984 and Cardiff 1985. Everyone else more recent.

https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8056267
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 15, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from GrimRob

We haven't played United since 1948, Southampton since 1977, Everton 1984 and Cardiff 1985. Everyone else more recent.

https://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8056267

Southampton was in the Cup. I seem to remember a draw at home and maybe an away defeat? I do remember going to the Dell for game around then in the Cup.
Posted by: MarinerRob, July 15, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 12
I went to the Dell to see Southampton after we had drawn at home 0-0. The game at Southampton was also 0-0 and I saw the replay was at Derby's Baseball Ground when we lost 4-1. Ian Turner was in goal for Southampton.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 15, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 13
That game when Newcastle won the league must have been up there with highest gate receipts, probably would have been the highest if resales were factored in. There were Newcastle supporters dotted all around BP. I remember a Geordie offering me fifty quid for my ticket in the Pontoon.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 15, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
That game when Newcastle won the league must have been up there with highest gate receipts, probably would have been the highest if resales were factored in. There were Newcastle supporters dotted all around BP. I remember a Geordie offering me fifty quid for my ticket in the Pontoon.

You could buy the Pontoon for £50.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, July 15, 2018, 6:01pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MarinerRob
I went to the Dell to see Southampton after we had drawn at home 0-0. The game at Southampton was also 0-0 and I saw the replay was at Derby's Baseball Ground when we lost 4-1. Ian Turner was in goal for Southampton.

I thought the replay was at Leicesters old ground Filbert Street.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 15, 2018, 6:13pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

Correct. Went with a friends dad. Didn't get in until halfway through the first half - crowd was about 12k of whom 8-9k were town fans and the congestion was horrendous getting down the A46.

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 15, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 17

Wasn't a cup game though so season ticket holders didn't pay. I would have thought the Chelsea game was close 0-0 at BP 10k crowd with the extra seats in all three corners.

Posted by: MarinerRob, July 15, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 18
Quoted Text
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

On checking you are right. Who did Town play in the cup at the Baseball Ground? I'm sure I saw them there.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MarinerRob

On checking you are right. Who did Town play in the cup at the Baseball Ground? I'm sure I saw them there.

Wolves......2nd replay I think.

Posted by: MarinerRob, July 15, 2018, 7:21pm; Reply: 20
That's correct promotion plaice. I knew I went to the Baseball Ground and after a home draw, an away draw before losing. 1979 I think. I did go to the Dell because my friend was a season ticket holder and he couldn't go so I used it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 15, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from MarinerRob
That's correct promotion plaice. I knew I went to the Baseball Ground and after a home draw, an away draw before losing. 1979 I think. I did go to the Dell because my friend was a season ticket holder and he couldn't go so I used it.

I went to every game you mention   :)

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 15, 2018, 9:03pm; Reply: 22
Grimsby v Sunderland U21 last season in the trophy. Record attendance at BP for a competitive fixture.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 15, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 23

Selling programmes on cons corner and loads offered is cash if we could get them in
Posted by: Caveman, July 15, 2018, 9:48pm; Reply: 24
Oh Lord, ,am I the only bloke on the Fishy who's seen
Town play Manchester United.

Still remember them having a bald headed winger called
Delaney when they beat us at Blundell Park. At the time
I marvelled at how a bloke with no hair could play footy.

Now I'm the bald headed old b........ !
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 3:44pm