Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 10, 2018, 10:18am
Just out of interest? How many original posters are still here from the old Rivals.net site ? I’ve been posting since the 2000-01 season. Still love it as much !
Posted by: GrimRob, July 10, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Just out of interest? How many original posters are still here from the old Rivals.net site ? I’ve been posting since the 2000-01 season. Still love it as much !

If you go even further back there was a forum on the Electronic Fishcake when it was grimsby.org (pre-rivals). Only a handful of people ever posted on there but there were a few!

grimsby.org and electronicfishcake.com incidentally still exist but point to random crap now
Posted by: psgmariner, July 10, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 2
Joined in 2001 whilst working in Paris (well Disneyland not real Paris). Lurked for a long time before that.

We are very lucky to have such a busy forum.
Posted by: LH, July 10, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

grimsby.org and electronicfishcake.com incidentally still exist but point to random crap now

It’s good that we to stick to traditions on here.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 10, 2018, 11:45am; Reply: 4
Aye, I remember the pre-Rivals days. There was a point when you could have multiple usernames at the same time. It was positively anarchic at times. There was a spate of invading other clubs boards at one point. People would pile on to say, Palace's board and spam it with nonsense threads.

The old EF also had a big part to play in getting people interested in the idea of a Trust together in those pre-FB and Twitter days.

Much of that rebooting feel has gone. There's more control of content. Some posters have passed on to a better messaging board. The only thing that hasn't changed is Swin.
Posted by: mimma, July 10, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 5
What I liked the most was that you could post on other club sites without having to register for each individual club boards.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 10, 2018, 12:02pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Aye, I remember the pre-Rivals days. There was a point when you could have multiple usernames at the same time. It was positively anarchic at times. There was a spate of invading other clubs boards at one point. People would pile on to say, Palace's board and spam it with nonsense threads.

The old EF also had a big part to play in getting people interested in the idea of a Trust together in those pre-FB and Twitter days.

Much of that rebooting feel has gone. There's more control of content. Some posters have passed on to a better messaging board. The only thing that hasn't changed is Swin.

Haha. Yes, the 'days out' to visit another clubs board ;D
Posted by: livosnose, July 10, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 7
I’ve been posting mainly extremely short sentences since Town were good......
Posted by: Maringer, July 10, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 8
Who else here was on Billo's e-mail list back in the 1990s? (Raises hand).

Not many people had t'internet in those days. I remember being very excited when we upgraded our modem to a 56kb one.

Took about 3 minutes to download 1 megabyte.
Posted by: Henryscat, July 10, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 9
Yeah was on billos email list. Started in the chat rooms in 97
Posted by: Ipswin, July 10, 2018, 12:26pm; Reply: 10

Yes, I'm still here, Electronic Fishcake veteran and proud (preferred those days actually) not quite ready to pass on the the great message board in the sky quite yet (3 monthly check with my very sexy oncologist in two weeks so a bit twitchy at the moment) but when I do I am desperately hoping certain posters aren't there

Posted by: Brazilnut, July 10, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 11
I have been about since the EF and the chat room on match days
Posted by: Meza, July 10, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 12
When the old fishy shut down how did u get back to the new site.  I got invited by Rob via email i believe.....but i also invited a few people to come back.
Posted by: Johnnyc66, July 10, 2018, 12:47pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
Who else here was on Billo's e-mail list back in the 1990s? (Raises hand).

Not many people had t'internet in those days. I remember being very excited when we upgraded our modem to a 56kb one.

Took about 3 minutes to download 1 megabyte.

Ermmm... I got banned from that for a drunken rant about Richard Whiteley's tie  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 10, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 14
I used to read posts on the EF.  For some reason, I could only post by clicking letter by letter on a TV screen.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 10, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 15
I was on the old EF as well -  I can't recall exactly when I started going on there but must have been 2000 when I first got the internet both at work and at home

I had a different user name back then ( changed from  Timariner  to this one when I enrolled on to this Fishy - 2007 ) and for the few years when I lived down in Northamptonshire early Noughties after I got on-line, it was absolutely marvellous being able to find out first hand what was going on with Town

Before the internet came along and I could access it, I recall that to find out anything at all about the Mariners, was by having to ring some premium telephone number  (well that's what I told the ex Mrs that number was  ;) )  or trying to catch snippets in the Sunday papers whenever Town played anywhere around the Midlands / South East
Posted by: ginnywings, July 10, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 16
Before my time. I joined the fishy in 2008.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 10, 2018, 1:41pm; Reply: 17
I was on the original fishy and you could get some right arguments then this and grim outlook kicked off.All good at times and you only have to see what happened with OP to see the potential of social media if used correctly. Me being a twit I prefer a 25 page argument with Swin over the merits of accosting Fenty in the Braintree Portaloo`s.
Posted by: Badger57, July 10, 2018, 1:42pm; Reply: 18
Yup, I was there. Was a hoot reminiscing all the old stories that we'd forgotten about.
Posted by: GrimRob, July 10, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 19
Happy memories  :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20000816151428/http://grimsbytown.rivals.net:80/

https://web.archive.org/web/20030506100032/http://boards.rivals.net:80/default.asp?sid=909&p=16&forumid=5121
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 10, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

Mike Ock it`s the little things  ;D
Posted by: Tommy, July 10, 2018, 2:57pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimRob

Ah, back when a crisis was struggling for form in the Championship.
Posted by: PPMariner, July 10, 2018, 3:11pm; Reply: 22
I wasn't just on the fishcake, I kept going on it for what must've been a good eighteen months or more after everyone left - wondering what the heck had happened and where everyone was.

I must've missed something, somewhere, but I had no idea thefishy existed until I saw Meanwood and psg in person, and they informed me that there was a new place to hang out.

Different username, great days.

UTM
Posted by: Ipswin, July 10, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Brazilnut
I have been about since the EF and the chat room on match days

Match day chat room was brilliant!

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 10, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes, I'm still here, Electronic Fishcake veteran and proud (preferred those days actually) not quite ready to pass on the the great message board in the sky quite yet (3 monthly check with my very sexy oncologist in two weeks so a bit twitchy at the moment) but when I do I am desperately hoping certain posters aren't there

My aim is to give you as much satisfaction in that regard as possible.  ;)
Posted by: spartacus, July 10, 2018, 4:01pm; Reply: 25
I was there too, used to post infrequently under "The Black Finger Nail". I was involved in setting up the original GTST and I agree with Kingston, it was a very useful forum to get that going (albeit rather stutteringly). Even in those days regarding the Trust, you couldn't do right for doing wrong, especially in Tony Hamilton's eyes.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 10, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from mimma
What I liked the most was that you could post on other club sites without having to register for each individual club boards.

Fun fact ! In 2003 I went on to the Carlisle board to tell them what type of player they were getting in an old injury plagued past it Steve Livingstone, I then got a barrage of abuse despite my good intentions, anyway I ended up in a bit of forum verbal and a Darlington fan joined in on my side - that Darlo fan is now one of my best pals and has been for 18 years. Good old Rivals.net 😂
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 10, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 27
I used to baby sit brazilnuts kids and we used to chat to him via the chat room on match days.
And to think his youngest turned 22 a few days ago
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 10, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 28
Yeah I was there too, electronic fishcake is such a great name for a website!
Posted by: gtfc55, July 10, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 29
Yeah, I was there. Still the same user name for me. Frequent lurker very occasional poster nowadays.  Many happy memories. Guernsey Mariner, Wycombe Mariner, KLM, Barmy, gymgirl

I remember winning the caption competition a few times too!
Posted by: Ipswin, July 10, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 30
It was a superb name (better than 'The Fishy' - sorry Rob) and I loved the caption compo.

Billo took some stick but it was an outstanding time
Posted by: blundellpork, July 10, 2018, 7:18pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from gtfc55
Yeah, I was there. Still the same user name for me. Frequent lurker very occasional poster nowadays.  Many happy memories. Guernsey Mariner, Wycombe Mariner, KLM, Barmy, gymgirl

Haddoctor and Aaron_c_reskew too. Great memories.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 10, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 32
Billo what a total legend!!!
Posted by: chaos33, July 10, 2018, 9:08pm; Reply: 33
I was on the electronic fishcake as yorkmariner and Fast Ted. I left with the crowd that went to grim outlook when the fishy went to the dogs and returned when the GO did the same.

I loved the banter with other championship teams on rivals.net. Happy days.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 10, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from gtfc55

Oh wow, names from the past there, happy days indeed, some great characters

Sadly we lost Guernsey. I still bump into Wickers and KLM occasionally (Colchester, Cambridge Wembley Braintree) Haven't seen or heard from Barmy for ages and haven't seen the sexy Gymgirl since three or four Wembleys back

Wonderful times, much more light-hearted stuff in those days
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 10, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 35
Member of the original email group and Electronic Fishcake. I'm not sure whether the late Steve Plowes was on the original email group can anyone recall? It was an exciting time - the dawn of instant electronic communication with a group of like minded souls - of course it killed off the fanzine.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, July 10, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 36
I was on the old Rivals forum, I remeber Billos hands being tied when we all abondoned ship and came to the new fishy, talking in code as we couldn't advertise the new forum on there any more
Posted by: lee65, July 10, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Yeah I was there too, electronic fishcake is such a great name for a website!

I was there, and yes, what a great name!  :)

Posted by: RonMariner, July 10, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 38
Yup, I was there.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 10, 2018, 11:38pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from chaos33
I was on the electronic fishcake as yorkmariner and Fast Ted. I left with the crowd that went to grim outlook when the fishy went to the dogs and returned when the GO did the same.

I loved the banter with other championship teams on rivals.net. Happy days.

Did you used to do racing tips on there from time to time as York mariner?seem to remember quite a few horse racing tips being offered.usedvto,love the match day chat room. Think that and the name were better than the present set up ( sorry rob)
Electronically 'taking the home end' was always very funny.
Trying to remember my user name but some great old names mentioned already. Tony Hamilton was a memorable one and didn't that rather bizarre bloke Tim mickleburgh( did he become a councillor?) also,pop up there?
Posted by: chaos33, July 11, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 40
Yeah. We adopted this horse of Geoff Wragg's called Miss Ivanhoe and she won a couple of times for a few of us on there. Some folks won quite a bit. She became knows as the Fishy Filly.
Posted by: Phisch, July 11, 2018, 9:01am; Reply: 41
Aaaah the good old days....
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2018, 9:51am; Reply: 42
I used to be a lurker on the Electronic Fishcake but never posted on there.

I registered on here in 2008 which was the same year that I had my first brain tumour op.
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 11, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin
I used to be a lurker on the Electronic Fishcake but never posted on there.

I registered on here in 2008 which was the same year that I had my first brain tumour op.

Congrats on 10 years healthy
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 11, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Brazilnut

Congrats on 10 years healthy

Thanks. 6 and a half years really though as it took them 7 ops over 3 and a half years to finally sort me out!
Posted by: Sigone, July 11, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 45
Yeah I was there, I remember Billo's journey from Oz to B.P, and the awful Karaoke  ;D
Posted by: Trawler, July 11, 2018, 2:04pm; Reply: 46
I was there too on the email list (I used to print them out at work ffs) and then Trawler on the TEF and now here.  I intend to here in another 40 years, or whatever guise it takes including Virtual Fishcake implants if that's what it takes.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, July 11, 2018, 4:11pm; Reply: 47
I used to be a lurker and occasional poster under the name of Yorkie_Hater, I still keep in contact with a fair few of the old guard off of there.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 11, 2018, 4:55pm; Reply: 48
The infamous Matty Mariner, aka bilk. the self-made millionaire had is own business in Sheffield lol. Hang gliding Jesus, Haddoctor, mariner bob,Black and white barmy had a tiff with Billo and formed a breakaway group.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 11, 2018, 10:24pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
I used to be a lurker and occasional poster under the name of Yorkie_Hater, I still keep in contact with a fair few of the old guard off of there.

Ah, it was your missus who took that penalty at half time at Layer Road then. On crutches!
Posted by: Gtfc8279, July 11, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from gtfc55

I’m still here - wycombemariner but new user name
Posted by: mrsd, July 11, 2018, 11:17pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Henryscat
Yeah was on billos email list. Started in the chat rooms in 97

I had the job of washing the chat room curtains 🤣🤣🤣
Some good chats with Bills, Guernsey etc.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 11, 2018, 11:43pm; Reply: 52
Met guernsey at an away game at Plymouth.great bloke.i might be wrong but it was a v early season game started out from bierton at 7ish to a pub in plympton (?) owned by a town fan awesome pasties and great beer. Managed to lose Kings Lynn Mariners scarf for which he never forgave me. Kings Lynn vmariner was another stalwart and top bloke
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 12, 2018, 10:37am; Reply: 53
I remember the split from Rivals and Billo staying on. I can’t recall when the Fishcake died though or what happened to Billo?
Posted by: GrimRob, July 12, 2018, 10:45am; Reply: 54
I remember the split from Rivals and Billo staying on. I can’t recall when the Fishcake died though or what happened to Billo?

Sky took over rivals.net and their new site was so appalling I refused to work with it. A few other of the more popular sites left before Sky pulled the plug on the whole thing a few months later once it was obvious it wasn't working. They scored a total own goal because they trashed what was quite a successful product.

Billo is still in Australia watching us all from afar.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 12, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Gtfc8279

I’m still here - wycombemariner but new user name

Wikkers you old fart. How are you and hows your love life? Colchester next season? Matt sends regards

Posted by: Ipswin, July 12, 2018, 10:48am; Reply: 56
Quoted from forza ivano
Met guernsey at an away game at Plymouth.great bloke.i might be wrong but it was a v early season game started out from bierton at 7ish to a pub in plympton (?) owned by a town fan awesome pasties and great beer. Managed to lose Kings Lynn Mariners scarf for which he never forgave me. Kings Lynn vmariner was another stalwart and top bloke

Saw KLM at that boozer in Baker Street in promotion season and at the pub outside Cambridge last season with his lad.

Time passes so quickly I think Guernsey has been dead for eight or nine years.
Posted by: Maringer, July 12, 2018, 10:53am; Reply: 57
Don't know KLM but have memories of him amusingly shouting abuse at the linesman/referee when Exeter beat us in the Cup back in 2004. A couple of rounds later, they drew Manyoo, subsequently drew the game at Old Trafford and cleared all their debts.

I'm assuming it was KLM as that's what it said on the back of his shirt!
Posted by: Ipswin, July 12, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Maringer
Don't know KLM but have memories of him amusingly shouting abuse at the linesman/referee when Exeter beat us in the Cup back in 2004. A couple of rounds later, they drew Manyoo, subsequently drew the game at Old Trafford and cleared all their debts.

I'm assuming it was KLM as that's what it said on the back of his shirt!

My best memory of KLM was in the street at Cardiff explaining to a S Wales policeman why he wanted to take on 500 or so Cheltenham fans

Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 12, 2018, 2:54pm; Reply: 59
MarinerIan was another I remember ? Haven’t seem him post in a long while
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 12, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 60
I’ve been trying to remember my username on the fishcake since this thread started but it’s lost in a dark corner of my brain . Some great usernames that I remember popping up on here though.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, July 12, 2018, 6:00pm; Reply: 61

Ah, it was your missus who took that penalty at half time at Layer Road then. On crutches!

Yes that's correct.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Yes that's correct.

She stepped up where no other Town fan dared. Or could be bottom.d
Posted by: Meza, July 12, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 63
i think I was ForeverTown….but then that could of been the other forum.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 12, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 64
I certainly remember the Electronic Fishcake from my youth. I posted infrequently but became obsessed with this new method of getting town news/rumours. Previously I had only got my town info from the back pages of the Telegraph or GTTV on Channel 7 every Saturday morning with Tim Harvey!

Don't post that frequently but probably refresh the home page for new threads 10 times a day minimum!

Rivals.net was a great medium but credit to Rob for the work he does on here. I can't imagine many other lower league clubs have a forum as thriving as this.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 13, 2018, 7:13am; Reply: 65
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I certainly remember the Electronic Fishcake from my youth. I posted infrequently but became obsessed with this new method of getting town news/rumours. Previously I had only got my town info from the back pages of the Telegraph or GTTV on Channel 7 every Saturday morning with Tim Harvey!

Don't post that frequently but probably refresh the home page for new threads 10 times a day minimum!

Rivals.net was a great medium but credit to Rob for the work he does on here. I can't imagine many other lower league clubs have a forum as thriving as this.

Can you remember the 0898 Clubcall phone lines?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 13, 2018, 9:27am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Les Brechin

My dad did . I got banned from using the phone as I’m sure many others did !
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 13, 2018, 10:34am; Reply: 67
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

My dad did . I got banned from using the phone as I’m sure many others did !

I listened to the whole second half commentary for a game at Derby once - only rang to check the HT score. When the bill came in I had to tell the missus it was sex line to avoid the embarrassment.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 13, 2018, 12:06pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Les Brechin

I remember the 0898 line very well. I must have been 10 at the time and entered the competition one Saturday morning. I won some free tickets in the Upper Smiths as it was then. I remember my mum coming through asking if I had called any 0898 numbers which I flatly denied. She then said "well you won't want your free tickets will you?" so I confessed to it.

I entered the next competition and won a signed Kevin Donovan photo but I was in Brazil and unable to go collect my winning prize so it went to someone else!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 13, 2018, 12:51pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Les Brechin

I made reference to that above Les as I was an exile with no way of finding out anything about Town other than seeing the Telegraph every now and again if my mum posted it to me

Was it called Clubcall or something similar?

Good job we didn't have an itemised phone bill with my calls to that line because my ex Mrs would have been on the warpath!  ;D
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, July 13, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 70
I was on the old electronic fishcake under the name LivvosLeftFoot remember a lot of the posters mentioned previously
Posted by: MrFisherman, July 14, 2018, 5:02pm; Reply: 71
Who was SNOOZE >:(
Posted by: somersetmariner, July 15, 2018, 8:06am; Reply: 72
Wasn't SNOOZE Tony Hamilton ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 15, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 73
Thought he was Humberston Mariner or was that on here?
Posted by: MrFisherman, July 15, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 74
I thought it was someone else 😄
Posted by: Alfie, July 15, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 75
Remember MaccaBilk being very good at getting people’s knickers in a twist on here and old board. One point felt like there was a bit of a concern for his safety with people searching for his identity
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 15, 2018, 4:44pm; Reply: 76
Who was the user who would ....

ryt lyk dis? n it wud realy enoy ppl.

Think he did it in jest, but some would bite at his deliberate poor spelling ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 15, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 77
Who was the user who would ....

ryt lyk dis? n it wud realy enoy ppl.

Think he did it in jest, but some would bite at his deliberate poor spelling ?

Wain

I mean Wayne  ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 15, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 78
Spoony and his pictures
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 15, 2018, 10:46pm; Reply: 79
Got any examples  ;)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 16, 2018, 4:58am; Reply: 80
Anyone remember "Dolly Sixer?" What a brilliant username lol
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 16, 2018, 9:09am; Reply: 81
I miss Spoony.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 16, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from diehardmariner
I miss Spoony.

I always remember the thread where he claimed to have snapped his banjo string  ;D ;D

Never knew if it was a joke or not but I cried laughing at his "misfortune"  ;D
Posted by: Enzo Gambaro, July 17, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 83
I used to post occasionally on the Fishcake but I wasn’t part of the ‘clique’.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 10:40pm