Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 9, 2018, 2:24am
Feeling really disappointed and slightly concerned that we have so few games lined up. Nothing now till Sunderland on 17th. I know we will have Lincs cup games too but still not enough compared to previous years. Usually play Winterton, North Ferriby, Boston or Brigg as standard, wouldn’t mind seeing a Hull team competing with us either. Any chance of more being announced short notice?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2018, 4:19am; Reply: 1
Hasn't done us much good in recent years has it? Pre season is over-hyped in my opinion and i never take much notice of it. Playing the same old teams, year in year out, has become something else that for me needs a big shake up of the way we do things. We play Winterton, Brigg et al every year because it's what we have always done. It's time we stopped doing what we have always done and try different routines. I honestly think we play too many friendlies against mediocre opposition anyway. I don't watch pre season games myself, so it makes no odds to me how many we play and who the opponents are. The training camp at Warwick seems a much better way of team bonding to me, and will benefit the players more than running around on rock hard pitches playing against failed pro's trying to make a name for themselves. I trust the new regime, so whatever they decide, it's fine by me.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 9, 2018, 6:10am; Reply: 2
Like Ginny says we need to do new things not old ones a new way of thought is running the club now so let’s move with it not against it
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 9, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 3
I do enjoy the short trips to the likes of Brigg, Winteron, North Ferriby though.

But I agree with the sentiment.  In the modern game there's probably no need for fifty pre-season games.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 9, 2018, 9:07am; Reply: 4
Quoted from ginnywings
Hasn't done us much good in recent years has it? Pre season is over-hyped in my opinion and i never take much notice of it. Playing the same old teams, year in year out, has become something else that for me needs a big shake up of the way we do things. We play Winterton, Brigg et al every year because it's what we have always done. It's time we stopped doing what we have always done and try different routines. I honestly think we play too many friendlies against mediocre opposition anyway. I don't watch pre season games myself, so it makes no odds to me how many we play and who the opponents are. The training camp at Warwick seems a much better way of team bonding to me, and will benefit the players more than running around on rock hard pitches playing against failed pro's trying to make a name for themselves. I trust the new regime, so whatever they decide, it's fine by me.

Do you think it was an intentional ploy to have very few pre season fixtures?
I wouldn’t have thought so myself, it looks very much like a poorly planned pre season. Surely the squad need minutes playing together no matter who the opposition are.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2018, 9:27am; Reply: 5
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Do you think it was an intentional ploy to have very few pre season fixtures?
I wouldn’t have thought so myself, it looks very much like a poorly planned pre season. Surely the squad need minutes playing together no matter who the opposition are.

That's the thing with GTFC though isn't it? When we do stuff differently, people automatically assume poor planning is the reason. May be there was a conscious effort to play fewer games against better opposition. The York and Rotherham fixtures were pulled for reasons beyond the clubs control it looks like.

I don't know why we are playing a lot less friendlies this pre season. Perhaps it's intentional, perhaps not, but i'm not sweating over it. For me, i like the break from footy over the summer and am not interested until the first game proper.
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 9, 2018, 9:43am; Reply: 6
I enjoy the preseason games, I’m not against any changes if that’s what this is but I like to familiarise myself with the new faces prior to the season starting. I also enjoy the short trips around Lincolnshire and surrounding areas. Don’t read anything negative in my OP, it wasn’t meant to be so.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2018, 10:04am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Tinymariner
I enjoy the preseason games, I’m not against any changes if that’s what this is but I like to familiarise myself with the new faces prior to the season starting. I also enjoy the short trips around Lincolnshire and surrounding areas. Don’t read anything negative in my OP, it wasn’t meant to be so.

I certainly didn't take your post as a negative. I know some fans like to go and see the new faces and have a trip to different grounds. Some of the group i attend BP with go to all the friendlies. I like a break from it all myself and come back eager for the new season. Think there may be some more games announced at short notice as the weeks pass.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 9, 2018, 10:20am; Reply: 8
I do not think we know better then Jolley,

He is a deep thinker about everything football so to accuse him of poor planning is wrong,

I can remember many times that we have had big wins in preseason 10/12 goals in a single game then started the season poorly,

Lets see how we start this season then we will know if Micheal's cunning plan has worked or not.
Posted by: Dogger Bank, July 9, 2018, 10:29am; Reply: 9
Pre-seasons are for fitness and match practice, nothing more. It would be nice though to have a decent Premier League side lined up to create a bit of interest before the season starts, maybe even a overseas team that is touring. Other teams in the lower leagues seem to do it but we don't for whatever reason. It would also bring in a few quid for the club.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 9, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Dogger Bank
Pre-seasons are for fitness and match practice, nothing more. It would be nice though to have a decent Premier League side lined up to create a bit of interest before the season starts, maybe even a overseas team that is touring. Other teams in the lower leagues seem to do it but we don't for whatever reason. It would also bring in a few quid for the club.

I thought we might have played Burnley .
Posted by: Tommy, July 9, 2018, 10:49am; Reply: 11
To be fair, the Rotherham and York games were cancelled, and then we're probably likely to have 2/3 more games in the Lincs Cup.
Posted by: barrattstandman, July 9, 2018, 11:15am; Reply: 12
The York and Rotherham games were pulled simply because of our reputation of having an element of idiots who go to cause trouble. Would we want the Shefield U fans running amok in Cleethorpes again any time soon for a friendly . NO. and there is your answer why these friendlies have been pulled .
Posted by: Grantley, July 9, 2018, 11:34am; Reply: 13
I remember when we won all 10 pre-season games in the promotion season and we ended up doing no better than the previous season (actually marginally worse). There were people claiming that the title was ours because we beat some Championship reserve sides!
Posted by: pizzzza, July 9, 2018, 11:44am; Reply: 14
We have a pre-season game tonight. Granted it is the wrong sport but it is pre-season nonetheless.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 9, 2018, 12:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from barrattstandman
The York and Rotherham games were pulled simply because of our reputation of having an element of idiots who go to cause trouble. Would we want the Shefield U fans running amok in Cleethorpes again any time soon for a friendly . NO. and there is your answer why these friendlies have been pulled .

I understand where you are coming from.  But do we really still have a large element of trouble makers that would go to a pre-season friendly away??  I thought they only came out when there is a big game at home.

I am still going to York for the weekend anyway, as hotel is booked and it is a cracking place. And actually has turned into a stag do.  I think there would have been quite a few Town fans at that one.

But Rotherham on a Friday night ???  No way would there have been many Town hooligans there.  It's just an excuse for some reason or another.  I'm sorry, I don't for one moment think the real reason was trouble from our support. Of course, we now know that NO HELP WHATSOEVER can be relied upon form the club itself on these matters.  
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 9, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 16
It'd be nice if we could have a pre-season tour in Europe somewhere. I don't really know if the club could justify the cost, but a few of the more moneybags league two clubs (like Mansfield) have headed overseas this pre-season.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 9, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Chrisblor
It'd be nice if we could have a pre-season tour in Europe somewhere. I don't really know if the club could justify the cost, but a few of the more moneybags league two clubs (like Mansfield) have headed overseas this pre-season.

Wrexham are doing the Algarve I’d like to see us do something overseas next season after we’ve been promoted 🤞🤞🤞🤞😜
Posted by: MrFisherman, July 9, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 18
What's the Lincs CUP FIXTURES for this pre season????
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 9, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 19
We play Scunny or Clee Town in 2nd round, and it has to be played by 20th July I think, then its a choice of about 3 teams in the next round.
Posted by: Tommy, July 9, 2018, 1:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from MrFisherman
What's the Lincs CUP FIXTURES for this pre season????

http://www.lincolnshirefa.com/news/2018/jun/lincolnshire-fa-county-senior-cup-draw-sponsored-by-bluefin-sport
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 9, 2018, 1:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Chrisblor

I was hoping that with Jolley's previous overseas position, he might have been looking at us going over to Sweden.

Or is it just me that fancies going over there for the football and taking in some of the scenery?  :)
Posted by: chaos33, July 9, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

Couldn't agree more.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 9, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 23
The second half on Saturday would suggest we need plenty more friendlies before we kick off for real.

Consider several players didnt even get a run out, the entire 11 swapped at half time so not all the players/ combinations have been tried and several extra friendlies would allow not only individuals to be assessed/ impress but also for combinations and partnerships to be tried...all as well as proper game time under the belts...

while i dont hold out much on the results the above should be invaluable for the coaching staff to allow them to b fully prepared for the season.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 3:52pm