Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), July 4, 2018, 9:17pm
I was really hoping for some movement IN this week. It has been very quiet this week. I hope we aren’t struggling to attract the right calibre of player.

Fingers crossed for some movement!
Posted by: Cloudy, July 4, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 1
I think we will always struggle to attract high quality players for our level because we simply don't have the money.

Notts County, Lincoln, Mansfield are all splashing the cash but not sure how sustainable it is if they don't get promotion.

I hope MJ can build a team, hopefully one that is greater than the sum if it's parts. That's as much as we can hope for when the clubs mentioned are paying fees of £100k+, huge signing on fees and much higher wages.

Still hope we can get a decent striker that will give us a sniff if a play off place
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 4, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 2
Prbabr waiting for them to get back from Warwick.  Seems to be plenty of rumors flying around
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 4, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 3
To be fair it's going to be very difficult to sign players while the management team are away I think Warwick. Do we know when they're back?

I'd imagine deals are probably in place to be rubber stamped back end of this week/early next week!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 4, 2018, 9:39pm; Reply: 4
Gone for 5 days, play Cleethorpes on Saturday lunchtime.
Posted by: Tommy, July 4, 2018, 10:47pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from 1542
I was really hoping for some movement IN this week. It has been very quiet this week. I hope we aren’t struggling to attract the right calibre of player.

Fingers crossed for some movement!

This bit in bold got me thinking. Which players from Accrington's squad last year would we have been thinking would be the right calibre of player for a title winning team? Probably none.

You don't have to have spectacular individual players in this league. A well coached, well organised and hard working team will go a long way if there's a bit of quality in there as well. Doesn't have to be well-known names or star players.

I trust Jolley is going to get more out of players than they've shown at previous clubs and the professionalism and organisation of the Management team will see us be competitive.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 4, 2018, 10:52pm; Reply: 6
Shouldn't think being in Warwick has anything to do with it Mighty.
Posted by: Impish2, July 4, 2018, 11:01pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Cloudy
I think we will always struggle to attract high quality players for our level because we simply don't have the money.

Notts County, Lincoln, Mansfield are all splashing the cash but not sure how sustainable it is if they don't get promotion.

Are we? We have lost 8 players (getting fees for at least 5 of them) and signed only 4 so far. None of the 4 cost a fee even if they are now paid a good wage. We got 250k for Woodyard, he and Palmer would have been on decent contracts here too. Even if Akinde signs we are not on the same page as the likes of Mansfield and County.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 4, 2018, 11:05pm; Reply: 8
Mansfield will be in trouble if they're splashing the cash with no reward. Lincoln spending should be sustainable within reason. Notts get decent crowds too.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 4, 2018, 11:12pm; Reply: 9
Who says that players haven't been training with town already and/or players been in Warwick on trial?
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 5, 2018, 7:05am; Reply: 10
Plus the fact the world cup is on helps stem the boredom and some rumour mongering, its in the quiet days between matches were people think too much.
Posted by: golfer, July 5, 2018, 10:04am; Reply: 11
Waiting for Neil Warnock to get back from Valencia.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 1:03pm