Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: brigg_mariner, July 3, 2018, 7:44am
According to twitter and somone screenshotting a still from the Warwick training video, aparently on trail with us.

Just turned 36, not really the young goalscorer we want IMO.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 3, 2018, 7:54am; Reply: 1
Just what I was thinking
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 3, 2018, 7:56am; Reply: 2
Hes actually 37 lol Birthday yesterday, happy birthday
Posted by: Father Christmas, July 3, 2018, 7:59am; Reply: 3
Aka Alex
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 3, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 4
For every couple of young players you have, an experienced head helps alot
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 3, 2018, 8:13am; Reply: 5
Says in southend local rag he is back training with them right now.

You sure its him ?
Posted by: RoboCod, July 3, 2018, 8:15am; Reply: 6
Is this the footballing Fortune that Mr Fenty has been craving?
Posted by: brigg_mariner, July 3, 2018, 8:43am; Reply: 7
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You sure its him ?

Not sure, just going by the social media rumours

Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 3, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 8
Quoted from RoboCod
Is this the footballing Fortune that Mr Fenty has been craving?

Best post of the week so far!  I reckon at his interview, Fenty told Jolley that he needed to bring fortune to the club and he’s doing just that!
Posted by: Garth, July 3, 2018, 10:10am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You sure its him ?

Also says he's only there for training for two weeks
Posted by: Garth, July 3, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 10
Another Birtles Futcher type player, they were poor too,
Posted by: Kris2, July 3, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 11
Ah yes the "he's too old!" "No he's not!" argument.

Posted by: Tommy, July 3, 2018, 10:47am; Reply: 12
His age is irrelevant, it's how good he is that matters.

So many people say "if you're good enough, you're old enough" when talking about young players, so surely the same principle (in reverse) applies when talking about older players.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 3, 2018, 10:56am; Reply: 13
Over 100 goals at senior level, cost Celtic £3.8 million in 2009. Yeah i reckon he's still worth a look even at 37.
Jolley and Limbrick would have him fit and ready before the season starts and he certainly looks like the physical presence we have been missing up front for a while.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 3, 2018, 11:01am; Reply: 14
I suppose it makes sense.

Collins is there to give experience to an otherwise fairly young defence.
Welsh in midfield to give experience to pretty young guys, probably only Hessenthaler with a considerable number of games under his belt.
Up top there's not many of those guys with great experience.

We're all probably expecting a young, dynamic and energetic signing so will feel a little bit flat but can definitely see the logic.  36/37 isn't what it was ten/fifteen years ago, players look after themselves better.  Think more Birtles, or for more modern times something like what Aaron Wilbraham did at Bristol City.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 3, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 15
all i'll say in the last 7 seasons he's played 200 league games and scored a sum total of 21 goals.( which basically puts him on a par with the scoring / non scoring record of caldwell and robles.)
Posted by: mariner91, July 3, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 16
Quoted from forza ivano
all i'll say in the last 7 seasons he's played 200 league games and scored a sum total of 21 goals.( which basically puts him on a par with the scoring / non scoring record of caldwell and robles.)

Hardly on a par with them though is it? As 63 games were in the Prem, 76 in the Championship and the rest were in League 1. Cardwell has played a handful of L2 games and Robles has managed one game in the FL. Can't really compare their records at all.

Not for a second saying that he'd be a great signing or the answer to our prayers but a little bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, July 3, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 17
If we are adding another striker it needs to be someone with a recent reasonable goal record or the potential to do so quickly. The first is an obvious stat. The second is an anomoly to most but could be a player like Robles who none of us know. The answer won't be necessarily there now but I don't think regardless we need Fortune
Posted by: RichMariner, July 3, 2018, 12:21pm; Reply: 18
Bentley 3.

With older players, it comes down to attitude.

You either get someone who comes here for one last payday, and it shows on the pitch, or you get someone who wants to play games of football still, wants to help younger players and wants to continue a career in football after hanging up their boots.

Get the right sort of attitude, which I'm fairly certain Jolley is good at, and I don't care what their age is.
Posted by: A.l.f., July 3, 2018, 12:23pm; Reply: 19
If Michael Jolley thinks he'll be a good signing that's fine by me.  It would give us an option too.  Experienced Pro's scattered around young keen lads is a good approach i'd say.
In Jolley I trust.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 3, 2018, 12:25pm; Reply: 20
Oh for another Liam Hearn,Bogle type a young player that excites and scores goals
Posted by: Tommy, July 3, 2018, 12:30pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Oh for another Liam Hearn,Bogle type a young player that excites and scores goals

For all we know, we might already have that on the books.

Cook - sounds like he's never really had a run of games up top as a centre-forward.
Robles - unknown quantity but good pedigree in terms of Academy development.
Cardwell - shows signs of great movement, work-rate and attitude. Missed a few chances but hasn't really had a run of games yet.
A.Rose - unknown quantity still but has key raw element of real pace.
Posted by: davmariner, July 3, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 22
Get the impression that the new striker search can’t be going too well...
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 3, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Tommy

For all we know, we might already have that on the books.

Cook - sounds like he's never really had a run of games up top as a centre-forward.
Robles - unknown quantity but good pedigree in terms of Academy development.
Cardwell - shows signs of great movement, work-rate and attitude. Missed a few chances but hasn't really had a run of games yet.
A.Rose - unknown quantity still but has key raw element of real pace.

Hope you are right must admit looking forward to seeing Rose after hearing bits and pieces clearly got a great attitude.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 3, 2018, 1:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from davmariner
Get the impression that the new striker search can’t be going too well...

What makes you say that? Think were only 2 days into the real transfer window and we look like being well covered in most departments.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, July 3, 2018, 1:18pm; Reply: 25
Had to have a word with myself. Just felt like a Slade type move. Horrible flashbacks.
Posted by: davmariner, July 3, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 1mickylyons

What makes you say that? Think were only 2 days into the real transfer window and we look like being well covered in most departments.

The fact that we’ve got a 37 year old non/rarely scoring striker on trial smacks of the same desperation PH had when he brought in Scott Vernon.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 3, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from davmariner

The fact that we’ve got a 37 year old non/rarely scoring striker on trial smacks of the same desperation PH had when he brought in Scott Vernon.

This is a quote from his former manager:-

Powell said: “Unfortunately the way we’re going and what we’re trying to do there won’t be a contract here for Marco next season.

“He’s a wonderful, wonderful person and a brilliant professional.

“He’s one the players will look up to because he looks after himself.

“He does have some brilliant attributes too but I have to look at what’s best for us moving forward for next season.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 3, 2018, 2:56pm; Reply: 28
Just been down to watch them train at Warwick uni. Couple of faces I didn't recognise and when I spoke to Anthony Limbrick, he was very cagey about it.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 3, 2018, 2:59pm; Reply: 29
[tweet]1014131397739581440[/tweet]
Posted by: LondonMariner43, July 3, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 30
I expect we will have 6 strikers on the books so if Fortunè is the 5th then Jolley still has one more card to play.
Posted by: Kris2, July 3, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 31
Still very early to make assumptions. There are always trialists who turn up during pre season, not all of them will be made an offer. A lot of people talking like he's already signed and it's a done deal.
Posted by: golfer, July 3, 2018, 5:37pm; Reply: 32
I don't for 1 minute think Jolly would sign a 37 year old striker and for that matter one who only scored 4 goals last season.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 3, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 33
I hope not
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 3, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from golfer
I don't for 1 minute think Jolly would sign a 37 year old striker and for that matter one who only scored 4 goals last season.

He signed a 35 year old striker who has scored a similar number of goals in the last two years
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 3, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from AdamHaddock

He signed a 35 year old striker who has scored a similar number of goals in the last two years

Did he?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 3, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Did he?

McSheffrey?
Posted by: moosey_club, July 3, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Did he?

McSheffrey reference perhaps ?
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 3, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 38
FFS, we do have more than our fair share of doom and gloom merchants. Give the boss a break, and let's wait and see how everything develops as a team is always stronger when it plays to all it's component parts rather than just a few star individuals.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 3, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Just been down to watch them train at Warwick uni. Couple of faces I didn't recognise and when I spoke to Anthony Limbrick, he was very cagey about it.

should have just shouted random names out to see if any of them turned round...

Dave !!  Tommo !! Smiffy !!! Alan !!!  Edson Arantes do Nascimento !!

may have helped narrow the search
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 3, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from moosey_club

should have just shouted random names out to see if any of them turned round...

Dave !!  Tommo !! Smiffy !!! Alan !!!  Edson Arantes do Nascimento !!

may have helped narrow the search

I haven't got Tourette's!!!!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 3, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I haven't got Tourette's!!!!

think i am developing it...Sterling has touched the ball twice and i swore almost immediately
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 3, 2018, 7:10pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from moosey_club

think i am developing it...Sterling has touched the ball twice and i swore almost immediately

That's  happened to me a few times watching town
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 10:39pm