Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 2, 2018, 9:16pm
I was at a car boot yesterday and I got talking to this guy, he mention that a trial of rugby league games where played at Blundell Park.

Does anyone on here remember or know any information about the
trial of rubgy league games played at Blundell park.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 2, 2018, 9:22pm; Reply: 1

Won't do the pitch any good but then Hull seem to deal with it at the KCOM Stadium.
Posted by: mimma, July 2, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 2

I vaguely remember it. It was a complete flop. less than 300 fans watched it. Can't remember the teams.

Posted by: grimsby pete, July 2, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 3
There was a week many years ago in the  60's  I think we had a different sport played each day,

Rugby League was one, cricket was another and baseball was played as well,

Those were the 3  I can remember attending but there was another 4 I think,
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 2, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 4
It was such a success that we have invited a local rugby team to come play against us second home league match of the coming season.
Posted by: always grimsby, July 2, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 5
It was between Hull KR & Leigh with the famous Des Drummond playing for Leigh. I am fairly sure only about 300. Watched the game 99% Hull kr fans and Iam also sure it was on a Saturday and England played Scotland on the same afternoon  :o
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 2, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 6
Thought hull fc also had a shot?
Posted by: blundellpork, July 2, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 7
Watching Gunning hack people down at times felt like watching Rugby League
Posted by: Perkins, July 3, 2018, 11:33am; Reply: 8
Quoted from always grimsby
It was between Hull KR & Leigh with the famous Des Drummond playing for Leigh. I am fairly sure only about 300. Watched the game 99% Hull kr fans and Iam also sure it was on a Saturday and England played Scotland on the same afternoon  :o

Absolutely correct. I was there. There was a thought at the time that if the rugby experiment at BP was a success, that we may form a rugby league team and try to enter the Rugby League. It wasn't and we didn't. Strangely enough I seem to recall greyhound racing at BP, with a guy in the middle of the pitch swinging the hare round the track at the end of a rope.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 3, 2018, 2:00pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Perkins

Strangely enough I seem to recall greyhound racing at BP

Absolutely correct it was in May 1968 and, even more unusual there was a motor cycle football match in June 1924. The photos show quite a good attendance (far more than for the greyhounds although obviously not all stands would have been open) There were two teams of six one of which was obviously the local side as they were in black and white stripes. Sadly the opposition, whoever they were, won the trophy

And NO I wasn't there!

Posted by: Cloudy, July 3, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

And NO I wasn't there!

At least you are consistent!!
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 3, 2018, 3:37pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin

Absolutely correct it was in May 1968 and, even more unusual there was a motor cycle football match in June 1924. The photos show quite a good attendance (far more than for the greyhounds although obviously not all stands would have been open) There were two teams of six one of which was obviously the local side as they were in black and white stripes. Sadly the opposition, whoever they were, won the trophy

And NO I wasn't there!

Probably babysitting the grandkids  ;)  :P
Posted by: mimma, July 3, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 12
There was a rock and roll concert there about 1970. Top of the bill was Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas.

It also flopped and the guy who organised it lost a lot of money.

I remember sitting on the empty pitch with the stage in the Osmond corner.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 3, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mimma
There was a rock and roll concert there about 1970. Top of the bill was Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas.

It also flopped and the guy who organised it lost a lot of money.

I remember sitting on the empty pitch with the stage in the Osmond corner.

Do you want to know a secret? It was mainly little children!
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:30pm