Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, June 26, 2018, 11:47pm
Have really missed that close season standard ' the how many season tickets have we sold' thread.
So thought I'd right this wrong and just ask, with all the positive vibes out there, how many we've sold.

Ps talking of nostalgic threads we haven't debated the merits and whereabouts of Danny north and Peter bore for ages.
Posted by: lukeo, June 27, 2018, 5:44am; Reply: 1
They updated us regularly up until a couple of weeks ago now it's gone flat.. I'm assuming we're still laround 1,600 sold?
Posted by: Mallyner, June 27, 2018, 6:28am; Reply: 2
Quoted from forza ivano
Have really missed that close season standard ' the how many season tickets have we sold' thread.
So thought I'd right this wrong and just ask, with all the positive vibes out there, how many we've sold.

Ps talking of nostalgic threads we haven't debated the merits and whereabouts of Danny north and Peter bore for ages.

Are you trying to get another mass debating session going?  :-/
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 27, 2018, 7:20am; Reply: 3
According to Wiki. Peter Bore now works for the Police.

Posted by: diehardmariner, June 27, 2018, 7:57am; Reply: 4
I saw Danny North running down Clee Road a couple of weeks ago.

OMFG sign him upz!!
Posted by: bigdavemariner, June 27, 2018, 8:08am; Reply: 5
Gonna get a season ticket for me and my lad..First he's ever had and first I've had in about ten years.
Do they still do the offer of free junior ticket with an adult ticket in the main?
Posted by: MidnightMariner, June 27, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 6
[quote][/quote]
Quoted from LondonMariner43
According to Wiki. Peter Bore now works for the Police.

And some one else has seen danny north running down clee rd
Was he being chased by pc bore 🤔 lol
Every town player needs to check their watches are still in their bags
Utm
Posted by: jungleland, June 27, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 7
Danny north is playing for cleethorpes town I think     As for season tickets going to renew this week
Posted by: mariner83, June 27, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 8
Quoted from MidnightMariner

Utm

Wasn't that Buckley JR?
Posted by: LH, June 27, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
I saw Danny North running down Clee Road a couple of weeks ago.

OMFG sign him upz!!

Kebab shop must have been shutting not long after or something.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 27, 2018, 11:27am; Reply: 10
Lincoln have sold over 6200 so far did you know?

Just incase any of our visiting Imps fans wanted to mention it!
Posted by: MidnightMariner, June 27, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from mariner83

Wasn't that Buckley JR?

It was, adam buckley ! but ffs why is the humour hard work on this fishy forum ?
#boreINupnorth.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, June 27, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 12

It was, adam buckley ! but ffs why is the humour hard work on this fishy forum ?
#boreINupnorth.

Humour hard work on the Fishy?

You're having a laugh mate aren't you?   ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2018, 2:07pm; Reply: 13

#boreINupnorth.

well..... its probably because by using the names of two people who had nothing to do with the actual joke reference subject matter... it kinda ruined the joke ??   ;D

Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2018, 2:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

That is why we aren't publishing them Les, the club are considering forum user feelings to avoid us being bullied by the Gimps......the club are very pro active on anti bullying/ cyber bullying after all.  :D
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 27, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Les Brechin

The Imps would not come on here bragging because they've sold 7k plus for the last 50 years, never let it be said that Lincoln fans are not consistent and loyal.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 27, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 16

Utm

This gag reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oajPBSnO8
Posted by: forza ivano, June 29, 2018, 2:00pm; Reply: 17
they obviously read the fishy

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/season-tickets--sale-approaching-2000/
Posted by: Jaws, June 29, 2018, 2:14pm; Reply: 18
Been told it's approx 1700 which is good for this time of the year.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 29, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

that's a feck of alot of tractors - they will be parked up from Sincil Bank to Skegness...

Be interested in the postcodes of all these Cowley bandwagoners - I wonder how many are in our patch - Rasen to Gy. I'd like to think not many - I wonder if they are now they have a following in the Newark / Grantham area - used to be solid Forest area but they haven't top flight for years now and Sincil Bank is quicker to get to than the City Ground from the those areas.

Posted by: golfer, June 29, 2018, 5:35pm; Reply: 20

Utm

What's the difference in running UP Clee Road and running DOWN Clee Road-wouldn't it have been better to put ALONG or even better still -ON  Clee Road or did you mean chaste
Posted by: forza ivano, July 4, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 21
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/11-days-of-season-ticket-early-bird-prices-remain/

over 2100 sales
Posted by: moosey_club, July 5, 2018, 12:29pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from forza ivano

Incoming ..."Only a third of Lincolns numbers"  type response expected from the Gimps...
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 5, 2018, 12:44pm; Reply: 23
2200 at this stage is probably a record? Should the unthinkable happen on July 16th we could hit well over 4k but it won`t our tried and tested ST selling formula is here for life :-/
Posted by: Cloudy, July 5, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 24
Despite the lack of marketing by the club I can't help but feel a little dissapointed with the sales so far and the struggle to get to 3000.
We often read about our magnificent fans but many only come out for the bigger games. Yes our ground has serious limitations but maybe we aren't quite as committed to the cause?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 5, 2018, 1:16pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Cloudy
Despite the lack of marketing by the club I can't help but feel a little dissapointed with the sales so far and the struggle to get to 3000.
We often read about our magnificent fans but many only come out for the bigger games. Yes our ground has serious limitations but maybe we aren't quite as committed to the cause?

I try and be objective but in relation to ST sales nothing has changed other than maybe a bit of a go via social media. The Club knew  almost 3 Months ago what many fans wanted in terms of vision and policy change in regards to tickets. It is blatantly obvious people working  within that ticket office do not want change because it probably means more work.They are holding back the progress of the Club with the head in the sand mentality they operate we can all see it and the powers that be need to change it and get someone in with some vision.No reason whatsoever why Town should not have at least 4k ST holders especially given 2.5k will buy them regardless.Rant Over
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 5, 2018, 1:28pm; Reply: 26
Think it goes higher than that Micky. It's not like we're dealing with a massive corporation where the CEO or chairman don't know what's happening at grass roots level. Especially given Fenty's hands on approach (or is he too busy fixing ceilings in McMenemy's?). If they wanted something more pro active done with ticket sales they would make it happen.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 5, 2018, 3:30pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Think it goes higher than that Micky. It's not like we're dealing with a massive corporation where the CEO or chairman don't know what's happening at grass roots level. Especially given Fenty's hands on approach (or is he too busy fixing ceilings in McMenemy's?). If they wanted something more pro active done with ticket sales they would make it happen.

Too busy being a builder on the main road right now !!  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 5, 2018, 6:38pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from moosey_club

Too busy being a builder on the main road right now !!  ;D

That's probably a good thing.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 5, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 29

That's probably a good thing.

Depends on if you happen to be walking past or if you park close to the crash bang walloping  ;D
Posted by: ska face, July 5, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 30
Agree completely with 1ml here. The Club had the perfect opportunity this summer to really make some changes and show some vision - something they assured us was coming in that long rambling statement following Jolley’s appointment.

What have we got? Frig all. A bit of tinkering around the edges and more excrement rolled in Jolley-glitter.

I said this about 6 weeks back and got shouted down.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 6, 2018, 7:47am; Reply: 31
Quoted from ska face
Agree completely with 1ml here. The Club had the perfect opportunity this summer to really make some changes and show some vision - something they assured us was coming in that long rambling statement following Jolley’s appointment.

What have we got? Frig all. A bit of tinkering around the edges and more excrement rolled in Jolley-glitter.

I said this about 6 weeks back and got shouted down.

They haven`t a Scooby in relation to marketing I`m embarrassed for them.In the unlikely event England win the WC on the 15th I would be running a Promo to celebrate with 20% off Season Tickets for a week (obviously reimburse those who have already bought ).The clamour for football will go through the roof and Town are in the position of being able to provide tickets.They will miss the boat with dithering about and being fearful of any extra work that might result instead of grasping and exploiting the situation like other Clubs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 6, 2018, 8:41am; Reply: 32
Quoted from 1mickylyons

They haven`t a Scooby in relation to marketing I`m embarrassed for them.In the unlikely event England win the WC on the 15th I would be running a Promo to celebrate with 20% off Season Tickets for a week (obviously reimburse those who have already bought ).The clamour for football will go through the roof and Town are in the position of being able to provide tickets.They will miss the boat with dithering about and being fearful of any extra work that might result instead of grasping and exploiting the situation like other Clubs.

We know the strategy for years has been to hope for a bit of England success, but they would never discount the tickets in the event of England winning. Their view would be that they’re even more likely to get sales so no need to discount.

And they would certainly not actively market tickets to the public at large because that would cost money and the attitude seems to be if you want one you would buy one anyway.

Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 6, 2018, 8:54am; Reply: 33

We know the strategy for years has been to hope for a bit of England success, but they would never discount the tickets in the event of England winning. Their view would be that they’re even more likely to get sales so no need to discount.

And they would certainly not actively market tickets to the public at large because that would cost money and the attitude seems to be if you want one you would buy one anyway.

Yep the attitude is season tickets for sale.End Of.Been like that for 40 year`s and the Club are happy with it and I assume sales? I don`t say they are wrong to think that way I just think they have had over the year`s a lot of opportunities to cash in on the fans optimism.The Imps showed what can be done if you put in the hard yard`s early on after Promotion.We missed out BUT the feelgood factor from last season as most certainly carried on and provided yet another chance to set the record straight. The Club must have a set target probably around the 2.5-3k mark and if they hit that they are happy and probably if bench marked against other League 2 Clubs will be a decent number. Could they do more and hit 4k ST and sell the 6.5k home tickets most games is the key question?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 6, 2018, 9:06am; Reply: 34
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yep the attitude is season tickets for sale.End Of.Been like that for 40 year`s and the Club are happy with it and I assume sales? I don`t say they are wrong to think that way I just think they have had over the year`s a lot of opportunities to cash in on the fans optimism.The Imps showed what can be done if you put in the hard yard`s early on after Promotion.We missed out BUT the feelgood factor from last season as most certainly carried on and provided yet another chance to set the record straight. The Club must have a set target probably around the 2.5-3k mark and if they hit that they are happy and probably if bench marked against other League 2 Clubs will be a decent number. Could they do more and hit 4k ST and sell the 6.5k home tickets most games is the key question?

I'd say they are wrong Mickey. They could definitely do more. If the attitude is to benchmark themselves against the mediocre, then that's what we'll get.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 6, 2018, 9:42am; Reply: 35

I'd say they are wrong Mickey. They could definitely do more. If the attitude is to benchmark themselves against the mediocre, then that's what we'll get.

No argument here I have done all I can to try and get the people to at least look at alternative options.The fans want a successful GTFC on and off the field the person who gets that right will have a black and white juggernaut on there hands as previously it`s always been one step forward two back.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 6, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 36
Any news on the exile package that JF said interested him when someone at the FGR game had a chat with him ?
I know i saw it on a recent trust meetings minutes but as yet no announcement has there ?

To be honest the figure we have shifted to date, on the back of a couple of embarrassing seasons isn't that bad really, its ok saying Jolley this Jolley that, but he still needs to win people over by getting results.

The end of season "feel good factor" , if avoiding the relegation places with a game to spare counts as that,   doesn't hide the fact that a season ticket last season felt like a ball and chain.

I have not renewed yet, still considering it, i will more than likely renew but only out of the fact a 40yr habit is fking hard to kick,  i am not a purchaser who will be wildly excited or expecting big things, just buying out of a deep love and habit in all honesty....will say though that if the price freeze hadnt been announced i would have broke the habit no matter how hard.

Post edit -- i will add though that at least the club appeared to have listened to previous criticism of the statement by JF when it came to why other clubs can advertise and even sell their next season ST's  before the season has ended, never mind in May/June.  JF was roundly slated for his "to give time so you can forget the last season" type comment so tiny credit there for listening at least and getting them out in June.
Posted by: ska face, July 6, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 37
Sorry but I’m loath to start dishing out credit for something that a) is standard practice at every club on earth bar GTFC b) the fans have been calling for for years, even to Fenty’s face at numerous fans’ forums, and been met with urine-poor excuses and c) hasn’t really even been capitalised on in any meaningful way.

It really is such a basic idea - make hay whilst the sun shines. Put some extra effort in now, take advantage of the situation and you might find yourself either benefitting down the line from increased budgets and better attendances, or you might not have to waste your time trying to flog tickets when it’s pissing down and freezing cold in February to people who might’ve otherwise bought in August with a bit of a push.

I just don’t understand why the club have to be dragged kicking and flipping screaming into doing anything worthwhile? The culture is toxic, negative and stultifying.

Do the club think there’s a shortage of innovative, ambitious people wanting to get involved in the industry? Marketing, events, engagement, fan-experience, media - people are breaking their backs to get into football in these positions and GTFC would be an incredible opportunity for someone to move their career on, why are we accepting such low standards?

People might look at this and think “oh why are people always complaining?” - it’s because we KNOW there is so much potential, in the fans, in the club, in the area, but nobody’s arsed about achieving anything.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 12, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 38
Does anyone know what the difference is between a "young adult season ticket" and a ""young adult season ticket" as shown on the OS

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/

I could get in touch with the club to clarify I guess but maybe someone on here already knows why one is more expensive than the other?
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 12, 2018, 1:50pm; Reply: 39
I have my season ticket since they were first on sale,but feel very deflated we have not signed a quality striker as of yet,think that would boost sales.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 12, 2018, 3:40pm; Reply: 40
Still not bought one and talked to my brother last night about it. He's not getting one and neither is my Brother in Law. My nephew is, so of the four regulars last season, only one has renewed, two are not renewing and i'm still undecided. Last season was a disaster on and off the pitch and i'm still p1ssed off with the club taking us for mugs season after season. Not seen anything yet that looks like anything will change much. Jolley is a breath of fresh air, but managers come and go. Think i will just buy tickets on an ad hoc basis and see how it goes.
Posted by: Bigdog, July 12, 2018, 3:59pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings
Still not bought one and talked to my brother last night about it. He's not getting one and neither is my Brother in Law. My nephew is, so of the four regulars last season, only one has renewed, two are not renewing and i'm still undecided. Last season was a disaster on and off the pitch and i'm still p1ssed off with the club taking us for mugs season after season. Not seen anything yet that looks like anything will change much. Jolley is a breath of fresh air, but managers come and go. Think i will just buy tickets on an ad hoc basis and see how it goes.

I understand your frustration Ginny. Jolley is a most welcome breath of fresh air but I feel that he's being used as a temporary (as long as he's here) smokescreen to cover inactivity at board level. Even though there seems to be an improvement in quality of signing so far coupled with the usual "bargain buys", I think Jolley is doing his very best within a Fenty driven football club. Love Jolley being in charge of the team as he seems to deliver, hate Fenty running the football club because he's delivered naff all in nearly two decades other than continually trying to justify his position at the helm..
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 12, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 42
Although I appreciate there is over 4 weeks to beginning of season I am getting a feeling of deja vu about not yet having a quality striker,should I be worried?
Posted by: ska face, July 12, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from friskneymariner
Although I appreciate there is over 4 weeks to beginning of season I am getting a feeling of deja vu about not yet having a quality striker,should I be worried?

That’s probably because you posted about “not having signed a quality striker” on this very thread about two hours ago.

Yes, I believe you should be worried about the possibility that you have dementia.
Posted by: golfer, July 12, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 44
Understand we have only sold in the region of 2K-can't see us getting to 3K as the early-bird prices shortly finish. nobody pushing sales-what's up with them ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2018, 7:40pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from golfer
Understand we have only sold in the region of 2K-can't see us getting to 3K as the early-bird prices shortly finish. nobody pushing sales-what's up with them ?

They were probably hoping England storming to the final would push a 1000 STs
Posted by: moosey_club, July 12, 2018, 8:59pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from golfer

Not got mine yet....really not sure....on one hand....
fcked off with the wider running of the club, contempt for fans, ridiculous statements and goings on last season and the shambles of the season before, complete lack of value entertatinment and excitement for the money, first glimpse of the new players didnt exactly set my pulses racing

on the other ..
due to habit and love i will more than likely end up going so financially it makes sense to go ST....impressed with some of the simple subtle things that MJ did last season in limited time with limited resources...gives me some hope..convenience of pre bought ST saves trips to the ticket office in the week...

Would hardly blink when ST renewals came around in the past but dragging my heels this year.

Posted by: Croxton, July 12, 2018, 9:03pm; Reply: 47
With this weeks GET and Exile ÂŁ10 off vouchers it seems the club are aiming at the pre holiday market. You are not able to combine it with the Season ticket offer apparently. I was glad to pass my voucher on to a young family in the club shop within seconds of collecting my first ever Season ticket. Fill those empty seats!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 12, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Croxton
With this weeks GET and Exile ÂŁ10 off vouchers it seems the club are aiming at the pre holiday market. You are not able to combine it with the Season ticket offer apparently. I was glad to pass my voucher on to a young family in the club shop within seconds of collecting my first ever Season ticket. Fill those empty seats!

Exile $10 off ...  Where is that from ?
Posted by: Croxton, July 12, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 49
Via online club shop. for non DN postcodes
Posted by: Tinymariner, July 12, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 50
Finally decided to renew yesterday, the future looks bright with Jolley and I’m impressed with some of his signings. I’m looking forward to the new season and will be attending the remaining preseason fixtures. UTM
Posted by: dicko995, July 13, 2018, 12:05am; Reply: 51
I need some advice. Ive been looking on gtfc website about season tickets for upper youngs stand. Do you get a choice of vacant seat you choose, or are you given a seat chosen by the club?
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2018, 12:10am; Reply: 52
You can pick your own.
Posted by: dicko995, July 13, 2018, 12:26am; Reply: 53
ty ginny, much appreciated
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 13, 2018, 7:22am; Reply: 54

According to the Telegraph we have now sold around 2,600 season tickets.
Posted by: golfer, July 13, 2018, 7:25am; Reply: 55
Quoted from dicko995
I need some advice. Ive been looking on gtfc website about season tickets for upper youngs stand. Do you get a choice of vacant seat you choose, or are you given a seat chosen by the club?

A great opportunity for you-there is a vacant seat next to me. If you do  beat the rush and manage to get it you are guaranteed to receive advice and a running commentary throughout the game. P.S. I suggest you bring a feather duster to get rid of the cobwebs as the seat has been vacant for a number of years.
Posted by: thevera, July 13, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 56
Quoted from dicko995

You can pick your own but last years holders get the chance to take the seats they had last year first. If they don't renew by the deadline (tomorrow) then they have lost them. There are three of us who have been ST holders for a number of years now but when we tried to add a 4th near our existing seats it was almost impossible.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 13, 2018, 7:50am; Reply: 57
Don't they usually extend the deadline........ especially as it sounds like we haven't concluded our transfer activity yet.

I still haven't renewed, still waiting for that Bogle type signing with the Dembele money or a decent goalscorer for this level from somewhere, maybe on loan. So pay as you go for me unless things change while the early bird offer is still on.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 13, 2018, 9:35am; Reply: 58
Quoted from golfer

A great opportunity for you-there is a vacant seat next to me. If you do  beat the rush and manage to get it you are guaranteed to receive advice and a running commentary throughout the game. P.S. I suggest you bring a feather duster to get rid of the cobwebs as the seat has been vacant for a number of years.

Unfortunately the vacant seat is not at Blundell Park but a care home near Abbey Park!
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 13, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 59
Quoted from golfer

A great opportunity for you-there is a vacant seat next to me.  I suggest you bring a feather duster to get rid of the cobwebs as the seat has been vacant for a number of years.

I wonder why that is .   ;) ;D

Posted by: rancido, July 13, 2018, 2:42pm; Reply: 60
I just don't get all this talk about whether to either renew or get a ST due to the clubs deals/marketing/signings. It's not as if every other club in the country or even our division is conjuring up fantastic deals to increase ST sales and we are the odd ones out. You either want to watch town or you don't. I don't let the boardroom politics impact on my decision to get a ST. I go to BP to watch GTFC play football and to me everything else is immaterial. I actually renewed mine late May and got the extra voucher for a reduction on a town shirt. Since Jolley came I've been more confident about towns chances of success than I have for a long time.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from rancido
I just don't get all this talk about whether to either renew or get a ST due to the clubs deals/marketing/signings. It's not as if every other club in the country or even our division is conjuring up fantastic deals to increase ST sales and we are the odd ones out. You either want to watch town or you don't. I don't let the boardroom politics impact on my decision to get a ST. I go to BP to watch GTFC play football and to me everything else is immaterial. I actually renewed mine late May and got the extra voucher for a reduction on a town shirt. Since Jolley came I've been more confident about towns chances of success than I have for a long time.

Yeah, but you don't need a season ticket to watch games.
Posted by: ska face, July 13, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from rancido

*warning - long, rambling post. TL: DR - Fenty Out*

This is a perfect example of the thinking that goes on at the club, and why we struggle to get over 4500 even on a good run. It’s a basic, fundamental misunderstanding about who the club’s competitors are, the thought process of potential fans and the reasons people go to watch the club.

You might not see other clubs lowering prices or putting offers on but this is completely irrelevant - they’re not our competitors. If Yeovil are doing tickets at a tenner, someone from Carlisle isn’t going to watch them if it’s £15 cheaper. Watching football is, at its most base level, entertainment (don’t start...). Town are competing with everything else someone might want to do on a Saturday afternoon - like going to the cinema, going to...I dunno...playtowers or, increasingly, sitting in front of a TV with a few pints watching Jeff Stelling and crossing off your goals galore coupon.

You need to provide people with a reason to stop doing all that and spend their hard earned cash to sit in the cold during the darkest and dampest part of the year, in the main. There are a couple of ways to do that - basically tell people it’s their duty to do so and hope that they buy-in to this call to arms based on geography, history, community (you know, all the romantic stuff you don’t care about when you’re potless), or give them a product & experience that’s enjoyable and good value for money.

GTFC have spent too long banging the first drum. They’ve sucked every bit of civic duty out of their long suffering fan base to the point where people are starting to resent them for it. I certainly am. What they’ve not done is look at the other option because that requires brains, money and effort. For a kick off, it requires a basic understanding about who your target market is - the message you put out to a family with 2 under-10-year-olds isn’t going to resonate with a group of 19-year-olds with a crate watching Soccer Saturday in between the midday and tea-time kick off. Have the club identified where they might be able to make inroads in the local population? Course not.

Even when you get people through the door, the product needs to be as good as possible, and by that, I mean making sure everything you can control is done to the absolute best of your ability. For too long, the board have hidden behind what has been taking place on the pitch and used that as an excuse for poor attendances. It's a lazy, defeatist attitude that has been shown up for the garbage. Look around you at BP on a matchday - it's dull, drab, there's nothing for people to do other than turn up and sit in the cold, damp stands in an atmosphere reminiscent of death row. The staff are unprofessional, the management is dangerously incompetent (Port Vale?!) and the catering is the absolute bargain-basement, lowest-possible passable quality - think you deserve better? The board don't.

So we've seen that the board aren't arsed about attracting new fans, how about the idiots who throw their money at the club regardless. There are people who, for the last three years, have been begging for the option to buy a ticket to suit their shift work - an issue that would affect something like 15% of the local population. Have the club bothered their bottom to even look at how they could take this money the fans are desperate to throw their way? No. Nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that people have asked. The fans are taken for granted, year after year after year. The club even put a statement out a few weeks back saying that they thought the might sell about the same number as the past two years, as they've got the "traditional two massive weeks" left. Really? What if nobody buys during this massive two weeks? Happy to just sit back and rest on their laurels. People are sick to death of it - even people on this messageboard which is the inhabited by absolute diehard fans/borderline headcases. The "if people want a to watch town, they will" attitude is wrong.

Why does it all matter? Why can't we afford top quality players? Not enough money. Where does the money come from? Through the gate. Who's trying to increase the money coming in through the gate? No frigger. And THAT'S why we'll never progress within the current set up.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 13, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 63
Absolutely in a nutshell.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 13, 2018, 11:35pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from ska face

This is a perfect example of the thinking that goes on at the club, and why we struggle to get over 4500 even on a good run. It’s a basic, fundamental misunderstanding about who the club’s competitors are, the thought process of potential fans and the reasons people go to watch the club.

You might not see other clubs lowering prices or putting offers on but this is completely irrelevant - they’re not our competitors. If Yeovil are doing tickets at a tenner, someone from Carlisle isn’t going to watch them if it’s £15 cheaper. Watching football is, at its most base level, entertainment (don’t start...). Town are competing with everything else someone might want to do on a Saturday afternoon - like going to the cinema, going to...I dunno...playtowers or, increasingly, sitting in front of a TV with a few pints watching Jeff Stelling and crossing off your goals galore coupon.

You need to provide people with a reason to stop doing all that and spend their hard earned cash to sit in the cold during the darkest and dampest part of the year, in the main. There are a couple of ways to do that - basically tell people it’s their duty to do so and hope that they buy-in to this call to arms based on geography, history, community (you know, all the romantic stuff you don’t care about when you’re potless), or give them a product & experience that’s enjoyable and good value for money.

GTFC have spent too long banging the first drum. They’ve sucked every bit of civic duty out of their long suffering fan base to the point where people are starting to resent them for it. I certainly am. What they’ve not done is look at the other option because that requires brains, money and effort. For a kick off, it requires a basic understanding about who your target market is - the message you put out to a family with 2 under-10-year-olds isn’t going to resonate with a group of 19-year-olds with a crate watching Soccer Saturday in between the midday and tea-time kick off. Have the club identified where they might be able to make inroads in the local population? Course not.

Even when you get people through the door, the product needs to be as good as possible, and by that, I mean making sure everything you can control is done to the absolute best of your ability. For too long, the board have hidden behind what has been taking place on the pitch and used that as an excuse for poor attendances. It's a lazy, defeatist attitude that has been shown up for the garbage. Look around you at BP on a matchday - it's dull, drab, there's nothing for people to do other than turn up and sit in the cold, damp stands in an atmosphere reminiscent of death row. The staff are unprofessional, the management is dangerously incompetent (Port Vale?!) and the catering is the absolute bargain-basement, lowest-possible passable quality - think you deserve better? The board don't.

So we've seen that the board aren't arsed about attracting new fans, how about the idiots who throw their money at the club regardless. There are people who, for the last three years, have been begging for the option to buy a ticket to suit their shift work - an issue that would affect something like 15% of the local population. Have the club bothered their bottom to even look at how they could take this money the fans are desperate to throw their way? No. Nothing. Not even an acknowledgement that people have asked. The fans are taken for granted, year after year after year. The club even put a statement out a few weeks back saying that they thought the might sell about the same number as the past two years, as they've got the "traditional two massive weeks" left. Really? What if nobody buys during this massive two weeks? Happy to just sit back and rest on their laurels. People are sick to death of it - even people on this messageboard which is the inhabited by absolute diehard fans/borderline headcases. The "if people want a to watch town, they will" attitude is wrong.

Why does it all matter? Why can't we afford top quality players? Not enough money. Where does the money come from? Through the gate. Who's trying to increase the money coming in through the gate? No frigger. And THAT'S why we'll never progress within the current set up.

Post of the week no matter how many ticks it gets. Well done.. The frustrating thing is that when you see the stuff we've done on social media
(The shop Xmas video onwards) there are imaginative innovative people out there, but We just fail to have them influencing enough aspects
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 13, 2018, 11:43pm; Reply: 65
Aye. Very eloquently put Ska.
Posted by: golfer, July 14, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 66
Re Ska Face post-Is it the board to blame as all bar one are really very inconspicuous . Is it that the board all bar one have no say in any decisions made. Does the board all bar one just sit there reaping the benefits of being directors. Or is it those employed by the board who are incompetent ?  It doesn't look as though we will be changing our address in the near future so why hasn't just a little bit been spent on B.P. If your house is up for sale you still have to keep up maintenance with a lick of paint here and there. Doesn't anybody walk around the ground with a clipboard taking note of anything that can be done to improve the spectators lot-it wouldn't take the crown jewels
Posted by: Cloudy, July 14, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 67
Agree with most of what ska posted but rather than 'brains,  money and effort' I'd say it is attitude that is missing. Maybe even an adventurous attitude.

Too much, if not everything, is done because that's the way it is always done, no evolution, no change. Everything is a safe option, mainly because they have done it before and are still here.
I'd lay money that often the most successful clubs who rise up a division or two are also the most innovative.

They try something different, whether that is on or off the field ( usually both).

Michael Jolley is a start but unless we revolutionise the attitude of the back office and board I feel it will not get close to the clubs potential
Posted by: Bigdog, July 14, 2018, 10:18am; Reply: 68
Quoted from ska face

On top of this.. there has been no inward investment, no new directors offering new ideas, no change in key staff for years and years. We are dying a long and slow lingering death if nothing changes regarding the running of the club. There is no doubt that the people at the top have good intentions and work hard for the club, but is their best good enough to take the club forward? Season after season the resulting evidence points to a resounding no. Players washing their own kit while a director says our rightful place is at the top end of League One is as much laughable as it is frightening. In fact if it wasn't for Jolley and his heroics the club looked like it was going to implode from within. A board of directors bereft of ideas blaming all and sundry around them including their long suffering paying customers who hand out hard earned cash for them to spend in the way they see fit.

We haven't seen any new significant ideas from the board since having having been saved by MJ. The biggest fear is.. as they still don't have any big new ideas in how to take the club forward.. they look like they are riding the Jolley bandwagon and that bandwagon only. They should look at those last five games as the biggest let off that a board has had in the history of the club. They need to use this unexpected period of grace to put all of their energies into finding ways to advance our club off the pitch. If it's beyond their capabilities then they're going to have to look to step aside and make the club as attractive as possible financially and operationally for new blood to take over. The best a solicitor, accountant and a fish wholesaler can achieve may not be anywhere near the potential a club like GTFC could achieve and one day they may have to sit down, take an honest look at themselves and say we've taken the club as far as we can and not be so up themselves in believing that absolutely nobody else could do better..

The harsh reality is that the club has gone backwards in relative terms over the past twenty years, you only have to look at every single Football League club within a 50 mile radius. The old "we've saved you from being a Stockport, York or Darlington" line that keeps getting trotted out is about as boring and pointless in 2018 as mentioning ITV Digital. If it's ever uttered again as a justification for existing positions on the board, it should be taken as a marker for lack of ambition and a narrow-minded admission of a total lack of ability to deliver a progressive future under their tenure. Managing the status quo of GTFC in its present state should never be considered as an achievement or a justification of position on the board..
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 14, 2018, 1:31pm; Reply: 69
Just to nail the point Home. Today is meant to be the last day of discounted sales so is likely to be a busy and positive one. If you ring the club you can’t get through because all the options tell you the ticket office and club shop are closed even though it is clearly open.

I’m sure the season ticket discount period will be extended but ffs make sure people can ring up.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 14, 2018, 1:41pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Bigdog

On top of this.. there has been no inward investment, no new directors offering new ideas, no change in key staff for years and years. We are dying a long and slow lingering death if nothing changes regarding the running of the club. There is no doubt that the people at the top have good intentions and work hard for the club, but is their best good enough to take the club forward? Season after season the resulting evidence points to a resounding no. In fact if it wasn't for Jolley and his heroics the club looked like it was going to implode from within. A board of directors bereft of ideas blaming all and sundry around them including their long suffering paying customers who hand out hard earned cash for them to spend in the way they see fit.

We haven't seen any new significant ideas from the board since having having been saved by MJ. The biggest fear is.. as they still don't have any big new ideas in how to take the club forward.. they look like they are riding the Jolley bandwagon and that bandwagon only. They should look at those last five games as the biggest let off that a board has had in the history of the club. They need to use this unexpected period of grace to put all of their energies into finding ways to advance our club off the pitch. If it's beyond their capabilities then they're going to have to look to step aside and make the club as attractive as possible financially and operationally for new blood to take over. The best a solicitor, accountant and a fish wholesaler can achieve may not be anywhere near the potential a club like GTFC could achieve and one day they may have to sit down, take an honest look at themselves and say we've taken the club as far as we can and not be so up themselves in believing that absolutely nobody else could do better..

The harsh reality is that the club has gone backwards in relative terms over the past twenty years, you only have to look at every single Football League club within a 50 mile radius. The old "we've saved you from being a Stockport, York or Darlington" line that keeps getting trotted out is about as boring and pointless as mentioning ITV Digital. If it's ever uttered again as a justification for existing positions on the board, it should be taken as a marker for lack of ambition and a narrow-minded admission of a total lack of ability to deliver a progressive future under their tenure. Managing the status quo of GTFC in its present state should never be considered as an achievement or a justification of tenure..

In 1980 we were, by a comfortable margin, the second biggest club in that radius, and at that time you could argue we were vying with Hull City to be the biggest - certainly if GTFC had got the investment that Hull City got later GTFC would have a very different profile in the game now.

Posted by: ginnywings, July 14, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Just to nail the point Home. Today is meant to be the last day of discounted sales so is likely to be a busy and positive one. If you ring the club you can’t get through because all the options tell you the ticket office and club shop are closed even though it is clearly open.

I’m sure the season ticket discount period will be extended but ffs make sure people can ring up.

This should surprise me, but it doesn't.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 14, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 72

Another predictable comment. This isn't a one off, it is just yet another example of the lack of leadership, the lack of customer care.
Even if this is known by the hierarchy they won't do anything, they see no reason to focus on the small things.
When I have made similar comments to our major shareholder in the past I just got 'do you know they haven't had a pay rise for x years'. The relevance of his response was lost on me!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 14, 2018, 6:06pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Cloudy

Another predictable comment. This isn't a one off, it is just yet another example of the lack of leadership, the lack of customer care.
Even if this is known by the hierarchy they won't do anything, they see no reason to focus on the small things.
When I have made similar comments to our major shareholder in the past I just got 'do you know they haven't had a pay rise for x years'. The relevance of his response was lost on me!

I think the relevance of his own response was probably lost on the majority shareholder himself.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 14, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, but you don't need a season ticket to watch games.

Exactly........how does not having a season ticket make you any less a supporter.

Posted by: ska face, July 14, 2018, 11:31pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from golfer
Re Ska Face post-Is it the board to blame as all bar one are really very inconspicuous . Is it that the board all bar one have no say in any decisions made. Does the board all bar one just sit there reaping the benefits of being directors. Or is it those employed by the board who are incompetent ?  It doesn't look as though we will be changing our address in the near future so why hasn't just a little bit been spent on B.P. If your house is up for sale you still have to keep up maintenance with a lick of paint here and there. Doesn't anybody walk around the ground with a clipboard taking note of anything that can be done to improve the spectators lot-it wouldn't take the crown jewels

Think I've written about this recently in another thread, might be the Akinde one, but for me the problem is the relationship between Fenty, and the CEO.

Fenty's constant interfering, his controlling behavior and inability to give any power whatsoever to anyone else means that he isn't fulfilling his role properly, and is blurring the lines of what the CEO should be doing. The board should set the broad strategic direction for the club and the CEO should be running it day-to-day, that includes managing the comms, managing the staff and holding them all to account. Who does that at GTFC? Who are the ticket office staff answerable to? The stadium manager? Who controls the comms? Fenty's got a finger in everything which is both suffocating and allows space for the CEO to hide behind him at the same time. If everything's shite, Fenty gets the blame.

One of the Lincoln fans mentioned the positive impact that a proactive, competent Chief Exec has had at their club (in the Akinde thread). The problem at GTFC is a culture at the top which permeates a small number of key roles - a lack of accountability, a lack of responsibility and a lack of vision. There are areas where the club is coming on, notably in the academy, but what we need now is someone to address the problems that are holding us back.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 15, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 76
Quoted from ska face

Think I've written about this recently in another thread, might be the Akinde one, but for me the problem is the relationship between Fenty, and the CEO.

Fenty's constant interfering, his controlling behavior and inability to give any power whatsoever to anyone else means that he isn't fulfilling his role properly, and is blurring the lines of what the CEO should be doing. The board should set the broad strategic direction for the club and the CEO should be running it day-to-day, that includes managing the comms, managing the staff and holding them all to account. Who does that at GTFC? Who are the ticket office staff answerable to? The stadium manager? Who controls the comms? Fenty's got a finger in everything which is both suffocating and allows space for the CEO to hide behind him at the same time. If everything's shite, Fenty gets the blame.

One of the Lincoln fans mentioned the positive impact that a proactive, competent Chief Exec has had at their club (in the Akinde thread). The problem at GTFC is a culture at the top which permeates a small number of key roles - a lack of accountability, a lack of responsibility and a lack of vision. There are areas where the club is coming on, notably in the academy, but what we need now is someone to address the problems that are holding us back.

Nail on head!
Posted by: rancido, July 15, 2018, 11:53am; Reply: 77
Quoted from promotion plaice

Exactly........how does not having a season ticket make you any less a supporter.

I don't think that has ever been implied and certainly not by me in my original post. It's obvious that for some people, a ST is not a cost effective option eg shift workers ( although as has been pointed out that could be addressed), exiles and others with occasional more important commitments on matchdays.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 15, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 78
Not renewing mine either will try get to a few games but as others have stated total lack of vision from the board. Just imagine if a player has to choose between say us and Macclesfield same wages ect.. Training ground looks like it’s about to collapse I’m surprised health and safety haven’t had a field day there, Blundell Park is on the verge of collapse it’s just embarrassing. The transfers haven’t really gripped me either the only player I was excited about will be on the surgery table all season.. Hate being negative but I’m a realist I hope that we will pull something out the hat but I don’t think we will be tearing down any trees this season.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 15, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Not renewing mine either will try get to a few games but as others have stated total lack of vision from the board. Just imagine if a player has to choose between say us and Macclesfield same wages ect.. Training ground looks like it’s about to collapse I’m surprised health and safety haven’t had a field day there, Blundell Park is on the verge of collapse it’s just embarrassing. The transfers haven’t really gripped me either the only player I was excited about will be on the surgery table all season.. Hate being negative but I’m a realist I hope that we will pull something out the hat but I don’t think we will be tearing down any trees this season.

IF any pro footballer chose Macclesfield over us for anything other than geographical reasons I wouldnt want him anyway!!

Lack of vision from the board? Now most will know I am very much against Mr Fenty but I certainly dont want him lending one penny more to the club. His loans are high enough imo.
I am not expecting us to be in the automatic spots but I am expecting a much better season that last and that was one of the reasons i chose to renew. I simply couldnt see myself doing anything else on a Sat afternoon especially not shopping with the wife or sitting in the pub all afternoon
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, July 15, 2018, 3:45pm; Reply: 80
My take on things are:-

We’ve no big investor behind us, we very little chance of getting a new stadium in my lifetime and no 7 day a week income stream. We are also not in a good place geographically or aesthetically.

So we will bumble on for as long as we can with nothing more than minor and infrequent success and I’m afraid that’s just the way it is.

That said I’ve got my ST and I’m hoping to enjoy the ride next season.

UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 15, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
My take on things are:-

We’ve no big investor behind us, we very little chance of getting a new stadium in my lifetime and no 7 day a week income stream. We are also not in a good place geographically or aesthetically.

So we will bumble on for as long as we can with nothing more than minor and infrequent success and I’m afraid that’s just the way it is.

That said I’ve got my ST and I’m hoping to enjoy the ride next season.

UTM

That's the way it looks, but if you re-read Ska's original post you will see there are ways to maximise income which the club are leaving to one side. You've got to gain every edge that you can, and the sense I get is the club is content to bumble along.
Posted by: ska face, July 26, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 82
yet another ÂŁ150k put into Lincoln by investors...

[tweet]1022478207046496261[/tweet]

That’s the equivalent of us having sold another 478 season tickets this morning.

How many have we sold, by the way? Absolute silence from the club...
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, July 26, 2018, 3:13pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from ska face

That’s the equivalent of us having sold another 478 season tickets this morning.

I would imagine that is to cover the two loan signings we have made this week. They are decent players and will be on good wages, of which we will be paying now.

We would certainly never be able to buy Wharton, , their fans think he should be in their team, he signed a 3 year deal last week.

The lad we have just got from Bradford on a season loan, cost them over 200k last year from Accrington so I imagine he is decent dollar too.

Posted by: Cloudy, July 26, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 84
Directors buying shares? Ridiculous, why aren't they loaning the Club benignly?
Posted by: Cloudy, July 26, 2018, 4:51pm; Reply: 85

I would imagine that is to cover the two loan signings we have made this week. They are decent players and will be on good wages, of which we will be paying now.

We would certainly never be able to buy Wharton, , their fans think he should be in their team, he signed a 3 year deal last week.

The lad we have just got from Bradford on a season loan, cost them over 200k last year from Accrington so I imagine he is decent dollar too.

Has to be promotion this season surely? Investment in promotion otherwise people come under pressure, Imps will be no different to any other club in that regard
Posted by: fleabag1970, July 26, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 86
I heard a rumour that a certain chairman down the road was putting 300k a month in .... they failed and now he has pulled the plug . Cheap signings etc now ... nothing lasts forever in football
Posted by: Cloudy, July 26, 2018, 6:05pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from fleabag1970
I heard a rumour that a certain chairman down the road was putting 300k a month in .... they failed and now he has pulled the plug . Cheap signings etc now ... nothing lasts forever in football

Yep, heard that figure myself. Never sustainable. Just gambled on getting back to the Championship and more tv riches
Posted by: Impish2, July 26, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Cloudy

Has to be promotion this season surely? Investment in promotion otherwise people come under pressure, Imps will be no different to any other club in that regard

I don't think anything would change dramatically if we didn't get promoted. Not getting to the play offs would be frustrating given we have a much stronger squad than last season IMO. However lots of teams have also recruited well so it's not a league with that many stand out teams.

I reckon the chairman would be pretty patient and understanding if we didn't have as good a season even if this seems unlikely, he isnt like Dale Vince and think it's our divine right to do well.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 27, 2018, 6:34am; Reply: 89
Quoted from Impish2

I don't think anything would change dramatically if we didn't get promoted. Not getting to the play offs would be frustrating given we have a much stronger squad than last season IMO. However lots of teams have also recruited well so it's not a league with that many stand out teams.

I reckon the chairman would be pretty patient and understanding if we didn't have as good a season even if this seems unlikely, he isnt like Dale Vince and think it's our divine right to do well.

Surely it is not about tge strength of squad more about the money invested?

Nobody invests the huge sums ( for league 2) your guys have without expecting a return. That return surely has to be promotion?
Even before the latest big signings having 3 guys earning a combined ÂŁ10k pw plus fees and signing on money demands 'success'.
Same situation applies at Notts if Nolan doesnt get promotion he will be out
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 27, 2018, 9:03am; Reply: 90
Quoted from Impish2

Interested to hear your thoughts on the top 7 for the coming Season? Grimsby seem to be seen as midtable to struggling by most Imps fans whilst most Grimsby fans think mid table to Play Offs for us? Regards Lincoln I expect you to be Play Offs to Automatic and anything less I would see as under achieving given the outlay and expectation. The other teams in League 2 I haven`t really took a lot of notice but would expect Notts,Mansfield,Tranmere and those that came down to all be in or around the Play Offs and I think Grimsby and Vale will do much better than last Season and mount a challenge.Personally I thought the Cowley`s would have got the Ipswich job and was surprised they haven`t been poached but any number of London Clubs get off to a bad start I expect them to be in the running?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 27, 2018, 9:06am; Reply: 91
Quoted from ska face

Think I saw 2700 bandied about last weekend on Facebook? Given the off field stuff last Season it`s twice as many as I expected in April but 1k less than I hoped for given the optimism with MJ.Silence from the Club how unusual ;)

Posted by: Impish2, July 27, 2018, 9:19am; Reply: 92
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Interested to hear your thoughts on the top 7 for the coming Season? Grimsby seem to be seen as midtable to struggling by most Imps fans whilst most Grimsby fans think mid table to Play Offs for us? Regards Lincoln I expect you to be Play Offs to Automatic and anything less I would see as under achieving given the outlay and expectation. The other teams in League 2 I haven`t really took a lot of notice but would expect Notts,Mansfield,Tranmere and those that came down to all be in or around the Play Offs and I think Grimsby and Vale will do much better than last Season and mount a challenge.Personally I thought the Cowley`s would have got the Ipswich job and was surprised they haven`t been poached but any number of London Clubs get off to a bad start I expect them to be in the running?

Teams I expect in the top 7, Notts, Mansfield, Exeter, MK, Lincoln, Swindon, Northampton. Think Grimsby will finish around 12th? Us, Mansfield and Notts seem to have spent the most but very unlikely they will all go up

I don't see the Cowleys leaving for at least a couple more years, even if we have a disappointing season I expect they will get backed by the board again.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 27, 2018, 9:40am; Reply: 93
Quoted from Impish2

Teams I expect in the top 7, Notts, Mansfield, Exeter, MK, Lincoln, Swindon, Northampton. Think Grimsby will finish around 12th? Us, Mansfield and Notts seem to have spent the most but very unlikely they will all go up

I don't see the Cowleys leaving for at least a couple more years, even if we have a disappointing season I expect they will get backed by the board again.

Any reason regards Exeter and Swindon? Both played decent football here last season but they never leapt off the page to me for top 7?  

I just see the Cowley`s being offered a bigger Club in the near future and the danger for them if they don`t take it is will they see another offer afterwards? This isn`t new all Manager`s who have any success will come across this eventually and they would need to cash in whilst their stock is high personally I think this is a make or break season them and the Imps.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 27, 2018, 10:22am; Reply: 94
Quoted from Impish2

12th will do me.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 27, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 95
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I expect the reported ÂŁ1m compensation fee attached to the Cowley's contract is a big stumbling block for most teams. It's a ridiculous fee for a L2 manager but you have to commend the Lincoln board for making it as difficult as possible for bigger teams to come along and poach their management team.

That's my only gripe at the moment with Town in that this 6-month rolling contract offers no security against other teams coming in for them. I'd like to think that if we start well we'd put a 2 or 3 year deal on the table for them but I won't hold my breath!
Posted by: Croxton, July 27, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 96
Around 2900 ST's sold and early bird offer plus Telegraph voucher still available says twitter.
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, July 29, 2018, 12:27pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Cloudy

Not sure it has to be promotion this year as we have only been back in the league for 12 months. Though getting to the play offs last year has raised expectation.
We're better equipped this year I think, much better striker options, though Bostwick being injured is a blow, hopefully for us, he will be back soon.

I think Danny has some credit in the bank, but you're right , our new chairman wants to move us up the leagues and given we probably have the best squad in terms of quality in years, we should be getting in the top 7 - County and Mansfield have outspent us though so I suppose they should be up there too. I think it will be a very competitive league - Village greens wage bill will be higher than ours I imagine.
Posted by: Grantley, July 29, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 98
With the money you’re spending, anything but promotion is failure.
Posted by: Impish2, July 29, 2018, 1:25pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Grantley
With the money you’re spending, anything but promotion is failure.

A failure maybe, but hardly terminal whilst the chairman and the board has the backing and the funds to compete again next season if we don't go up. I am certain the chairman isn't thinking it's excrement or bust if it doesn't happen, and won't be putting any extra pressure on DC should we not do at least as well as last season.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 29, 2018, 1:58pm; Reply: 100
I'm not sure any club have substantially 'outspent' Lincoln this season given the fees, signing on fees and wages being dished out
Posted by: Impish2, July 29, 2018, 2:13pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Cloudy
I'm not sure any club have substantially 'outspent' Lincoln this season given the fees, signing on fees and wages being dished out

Who really knows? I would imagine Notts and Mansfield have spent more than us, anyway they have very rich backers that can wipe off millions every few season regardless of any financial instability.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 29, 2018, 4:32pm; Reply: 102

Tried the link to buy a season ticket online (highlighted in blue) but can't get it to work ?.........

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/were-back/
Posted by: norfuk mariner, July 29, 2018, 4:40pm; Reply: 103
[quote=2226]
Tried the link to buy a season ticket online (highlighted in blue) but can't get it to work.........

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/were-back.

Worked for me and shows 2900 tickets sold

Posted by: ska face, July 29, 2018, 6:30pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from promotion plaice

Tried the link to buy a season ticket online (highlighted in blue) but can't get it to work ?.........

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/were-back/

http://www.gtfcstore.co.uk/acatalog/Season-Tickets-316.html#SID=502

(thumbup2)
Posted by: mariner83, July 29, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 105
[Url=http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/acatalog/Tickets.html]http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/acatalog/Tickets.html[/url]
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 30, 2018, 3:20pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from norfuk mariner
[quote=2226]
Tried the link to buy a season ticket online (highlighted in blue) but can't get it to work.........

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/were-back.

Worked for me and shows 2900 tickets sold

Thats 2,901 then only 99 to go for the 3,000 hoped for.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 30, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 107
More or less the same as the last couple of seasons. The damage limitation on the Fenty:Slade:Wilko Weston-Super- team but no quantum leap. Our ST numbers must have been in the 2500 - 3000 range for the past 15 years and can't see that changing under the current regime...
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 30, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
More or less the same as the last couple of seasons. The damage limitation on the Fenty:Slade:Wilko Weston-Super- team but no quantum leap. Our ST numbers must have been in the 2500 - 3000 range for the past 15 years and can't see that changing under the current regime...

I bet they will leap with a promotion under Jolley.
Posted by: Stadium, July 30, 2018, 7:56pm; Reply: 109
But will they?
What were the numbers sold after promotion back to the league?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 30, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Stadium
But will they?
What were the numbers sold after promotion back to the league?

I think the numbers have been more or less stable forever haven't they? Certainly as a league club - even in the Championship I bet we had around 3000 season ticket holders.

I think that is one reason why the club appear to be so apathetic when it comes to season ticket sales - they seem to remain fairly static no matter what.

A new regime with fresh ideas and a destination and a means of getting there would make a difference. But it needs a sea change in everything related to GTFC to propel us forward and copy all those teams we used to play regularly who had terrible gates - Swansea, Hull, Brighton, Brentford, Rotherham, Wigan, Bolton,etc who all play much higher up presumably with much greater numbers of season ticket holders.

One day maybe.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 30, 2018, 8:34pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from grimsby pete

I bet they will leap with a promotion under Jolley.

To be clear by regime I mean Fenty et al. Promotion under Jolley - to 3.5k in the first season maybe 4k absolute tops and then he gets poached...

And in IMHO GTFC are a bigger club than Rotherham United for example, but until those that run the club run it like it is the 140th anniversary and not 1978 we are stuck in the cycle of relative decline.

Posted by: realist, July 31, 2018, 5:19am; Reply: 112
Too many unresolved issues for me to consider getting a season club. Apart from the board, the trust has got back into bed with Fenty and gone to sleep. Remember the survey? Fans totally ignored.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 7:28am; Reply: 113

Pretty sure it was between 1800-2100 for most of that time and saw a fairly large leap OP Season to 3k? Most fans see the ST benefits the Club whilst offering the Manager a fighting chance of building a squad early.In this area those numbers are all the more remarkable when 1 in 5 of the working population are on shifts and it`s also a low income area. All Clubs fans claim to be the best but time and again the GTFC fanbase have gone above and beyond for the cause Pontoon stand,Joe Waters,Ivano Bonnetti and OP allied with sold out away ends everywhere for mediocre football from an hardcore of 4k.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 7:36am; Reply: 114
Quoted from realist
Too many unresolved issues for me to consider getting a season club. Apart from the board, the trust has got back into bed with Fenty and gone to sleep. Remember the survey? Fans totally ignored.

You could always challenge that perception of the trust through the correct channels realist and effect change?

ST on sale from April and a new ticketing scheme announced last week whilst not ideal it was the fans who wanted these things so are they really being ignored?
Regards JF until such time someone buys him out were stuck with each other so not really sure how anything can be changed on that score?
Posted by: bax, July 31, 2018, 8:20am; Reply: 115
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You could always challenge that perception of the trust through the correct channels realist and effect change?

They’ll just force you out if you challenge the status quo 😉
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 8:31am; Reply: 116
Quoted from bax

That sounds intriguing bax...... Could you please explain the process for someone to get elected to the MT board I always assumed somebody would be proposed by the members but I think that`s probably not the case at all?
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 31, 2018, 8:34am; Reply: 117
Would not join any club that would have me as a member.
Posted by: Croxton, July 31, 2018, 8:43am; Reply: 118
Don't Harpo on about it.
Posted by: barralad, July 31, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 119
Quoted from 1mickylyons

That sounds intriguing bax...... Could you please explain the process for someone to get elected to the MT board I always assumed somebody would be proposed by the members but I think that`s probably not the case at all?

Oh that we were ever in the position of needing to get people actually elected to the Trust Board. As it stands anyone who can show willing and a skill that will move us on and help us to serve our members better is a shoe in initially as a co-opted member which is then usually ratified by the AGM. In the unlikely event of more people being interested than there are spaces I suspect there would be an election. By our rule book one third of the Board stand for re-election at each years AGM.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 31, 2018, 12:28pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from bax

Who forces someone off the board?

Could it be that not everyone holds the same views and, as with any democratic body, the majority will hold sway?

If such a direction is against your personal views you can either make the best of it and chip away or resign and walk away. That is individual choice depending on circumstances although in my experience throwing your toys out of the pram and alluding to vague injustices makes one look rather silly

UTM
Posted by: bax, July 31, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from Cloudy

Who forces someone off the board?

Could it be that not everyone holds the same views and, as with any democratic body, the majority will hold sway?

If such a direction is against your personal views you can either make the best of it and chip away or resign and walk away. That is individual choice depending on circumstances although in my experience throwing your toys out of the pram and alluding to vague injustices makes one look rather silly

UTM

More than happy to share the emails from the Trust board member to the club board saying he didn’t agree with the fans survey or the direction of the Trust so he could save his seat on the board if you’d prefer?

I’m not interested in ‘vague injustices’ - the fans suffer when they’re not represented as they should be. And they’re not being under the current setup of the Trust. Just my opinion having witnessed it first hand.

Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 31, 2018, 2:11pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from bax

More than happy to share the emails from the Trust board member to the club board saying he didn’t agree with the fans survey or the direction of the Trust so he could save his seat on the board if you’d prefer?

I’m not interested in ‘vague injustices’ - the fans suffer when they’re not represented as they should be. And they’re not being under the current setup of the Trust. Just my opinion having witnessed it first hand.

Sorry bax but this being the case surely all the more reason you should hang in and effect change the survey as I recall was at the request of the members?
Posted by: bax, July 31, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 123
if people are working behind your back to discredit something the fans think you are doing to benefit them, I don’t want to be a part of that. I didn’t want to be involved in a sham survey

Who said ‘when you lose trust...’?
Posted by: Cloudy, July 31, 2018, 2:55pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from bax
if people are working behind your back to discredit something the fans think you are doing to benefit them, I don’t want to be a part of that. I didn’t want to be involved in a sham survey

Who said ‘when you lose trust...’?

All fine but that was months ago and as I posted previously if you aren't happy walk away and let that be the end of it.

Move on but I don't think it would benefit anyone to post once a month about perceived injustices and wrong doings.
Either have it out and forget about it otherwise wash both sides dirty washing in public which imo doesn't do anyone or any group any favours.
Posted by: rancido, July 31, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 125

To be clear by regime I mean Fenty et al. Promotion under Jolley - to 3.5k in the first season maybe 4k absolute tops and then he gets poached...

And in IMHO GTFC are a bigger club than Rotherham United for example, but until those that run the club run it like it is the 140th anniversary and not 1978 we are stuck in the cycle of relative decline.

Explain why you think GTFC are a bigger club than Rotherham? How can you quantify that one club is bigger than another? Do you judge it by fanbase? I don't know what the population of Rotherham is but I would imagine it is larger than NE Lincs plus it has a more densly populated hinterland with large conurbatios like Wickersley and Maltby close by. Historical success , especially going back decades, doesn't necessarily make one club bigger than another either. Consistency at a higher level in the " football pyramid " is certainly one yardstick that could be used to measure it by Regardless of any of this I just don't get this often repeated expression on this site that " we are a bigger club than so and so and look where they are ".

On the subject of ST sales it would be interesting to see what they were during our successful periods in the 60's , 70's or 80's or when AB took us to the second tier of English football?
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 31, 2018, 8:10pm; Reply: 126
I’ll judge the current trust set up by looking at their view on the Stevenage away game.
It’s not so long ago they were vastly behind a boycott.  Let’s see if that is still the case.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 31, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from rancido

Explain why you think GTFC are a bigger club than Rotherham? How can you quantify that one club is bigger than another? Do you judge it by fanbase? I don't know what the population of Rotherham is but I would imagine it is larger than NE Lincs plus it has a more densly populated hinterland with large conurbatios like Wickersley and Maltby close by. Historical success , especially going back decades, doesn't necessarily make one club bigger than another either. Consistency at a higher level in the " football pyramid " is certainly one yardstick that could be used to measure it by Regardless of any of this I just don't get this often repeated expression on this site that " we are a bigger club than so and so and look where they are ".

On the subject of ST sales it would be interesting to see what they were during our successful periods in the 60's , 70's or 80's or when AB took us to the second tier of English football?

Your tests above plus ability to attract players and managers? Maybe we aren't any more and never will be again, but Rotherham at Millmoor and Donny at Belle Vue(as another example) did not match  GTFC on any test you care to mention when the club was 100 years old - historical success, consistency at a higher level in the pyramid, ability to attract fans, players and managers. GTFC have failed to deliver the infrastructure required to keep up with these and many other clubs and that has contributed to the relative failure on the pitch...
Posted by: Grim up north, July 31, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 128
The problem with looking at attendances over the years is that during our most successful times of the 70's/80's and early 90's crowds everywhere were at a low mainly due to it not being as popular pre Sky TV and widespread football violence so it's hard to judge. Hull City in one season struggled to attract 2000 home supporters and Doncaster even less.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 31, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from Cloudy

All fine but that was months ago and as I posted previously if you aren't happy walk away and let that be the end of it.

Move on but I don't think it would benefit anyone to post once a month about perceived injustices and wrong doings.
Either have it out and forget about it otherwise wash both sides dirty washing in public which imo doesn't do anyone or any group any favours.

You’re getting an insight from someone who worked closely
with those that run the Club and the Trust. He’s already told us that someone on the club’s board wrote communications for the Trust. He’s telling us that sections of the Trust board don’t want to act on the results of the survey.

These are the things we need to know and expose the mismanagement of the club. How can it change if these things aren’t brought to light?
Posted by: Bigdog, July 31, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 130

with those that run the Club and the Trust. He’s already told us that someone on the club’s board wrote communications for the Trust. He’s telling us that sections of the Trust board don’t want to act on the results of the survey.

These are the things we need to know and expose the mismanagement of the club. How can it change if these things aren’t brought to light?

There are some good people who are really trying their best to help the club and the fans, let's not forget that. But as Bax has alluded to, critical speculation by many on here over the years regarding how the club is run and also certain elements of the Trust are not that far from the actual truth. They have been given the benefit of the doubt and too much goodwill for far, far too long. And who pays in the end? Us fans. There's been far too many people at the top with far too little ability investing sod all cash and ideas. Hats off to 1mickylyons and ska face for having a good go at trying to make a difference in frustrating circumstances..
Posted by: Bigdog, July 31, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 131

And in IMHO GTFC are a bigger club than Rotherham United for example
, but until those that run the club run it like it is the 140th anniversary and not 1978 we are stuck in the cycle of relative decline.

Rotherham are a bigger club than GTFC. Fact. Higher attendances, higher turnover, better players, consistently higher up in the football pyramid, all in the past twenty years. They've even got a brand new stadium sorted. They overtook us years ago and have remained ahead ever since like many other clubs who were our peers. We're getting left behind and our fanbase has got to face up to facts and stop clinging onto past histories which have no influence on how the club competes in the present never mind the future..
Posted by: Grim up north, July 31, 2018, 10:19pm; Reply: 132
I don't think it's just the clubs fault it has been left behind .You look at other Towns/Cities and they on the whole seem to be pulling together to build better facilities for their residents with council / local business backing. Here we seem to have a backward council in the past and a large percentage of residents happy to wallow in apathy, look at the amount of letters when the Auditoreum was suggested and the moaning of a "White Elephant". This Town needs a leader with vision and Enthusiasm to match Jolleys and we could start to see crowds and facilities we should've had in place 20 years ago.
Posted by: barralad, July 31, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 133

I have never had an issue with Bax and was extremely sorry to see him leave the Trust Board. However he hasn't been formally involved in any of the discussions post-survey  certainly at Board level so I'm unsure where this inference has come from. You probably wouldn't expect me to say any other but the entire Trust board are committed to enacting the findings of the survey.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 31, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Bigdog

Rotherham are a bigger club than GTFC, Fact. Higher attendances, higher turnover, better players, consistently higher up in the football pyramid, all in the past twenty years. They've even got a brand new stadium sorted. They overtook us years ago and have remained ahead ever since like many other clubs who were our peers. We're getting left behind and our fanbase has got to face up to facts and stop clinging onto past histories which have no influence on how the club competes in the present never mind the future..

with all respect, you are missing my point, until they got their new stadium they weren't - [url]http://www.rotherhamunited1925.co.uk/#/league-attendances/4543766957[/url]

It's not a case of clinging onto past histories - one of the key moments in the club's history was the Main Stand and Barrett failing safety regs in 1981. It is with benefit of hindsight I admit, but the failure to act decisively to that in any way or form, other than building the Findus Stand (a cramped and already totally dated structure) in the past 38 years is one of the reasons why, yes - Rotherham are a bigger club now...
Posted by: Bigdog, July 31, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 135

with all respect, you are missing my point, until they got their new stadium they weren't - [url]http://www.rotherhamunited1925.co.uk/#/league-attendances/4543766957[/url]

It's not a case of clinging onto past histories - one of the key moments in the club's history was the Main Stand and Barrett failing safety regs in 1981. It is with benefit of hindsight I admit, but the failure to act decisively to that in any way or form, other than building the Findus Stand (a cramped and already totally dated structure) in the past 38 years is one of the reasons why, yes - Rotherham are a bigger club now...

Apologies, I didn't fully take in the context of your original post mate..
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 31, 2018, 11:15pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from Bigdog

Rotherham are a bigger club than GTFC. Fact. Higher attendances, higher turnover, better players, consistently higher up in the football pyramid, all in the past twenty years. They've even got a brand new stadium sorted. They overtook us years ago and have remained ahead ever since like many other clubs who were our peers. We're getting left behind and our fanbase has got to face up to facts and stop clinging onto past histories which have no influence on how the club competes in the present never mind the future..

Any news on the progress of the new stadium ?......I can't wait to buy a season ticket in the Fentydome.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 31, 2018, 11:25pm; Reply: 137
Bax, is there a reason why you don’t just explain what went on and share the email you referred to?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 1, 2018, 7:18am; Reply: 138
Quoted from Bigdog

There are some good people who are really trying their best to help the club and the fans, let's not forget that. But as Bax has alluded to, critical speculation by many on here over the years regarding how the club is run and also certain elements of the Trust are not that far from the actual truth. They have been given the benefit of the doubt and too much goodwill for far, far too long. And who pays in the end? Us fans. There's been far too many people at the top with far too little ability investing sod all cash and ideas. Hats off to 1mickylyons and ska face for having a good go at trying to make a difference in frustrating circumstances..

I am sure there are also some good people on the Trust board who are ALSO fans, in many cases home and away stalwarts!

These are the guys who put their heads above the parapet and actually try and make a difference rather than those who squeal and shout without getting from behind their keyboard.

I am sure they make errors but as Barralad often posts, you won't get killed in the rush of people wanting to get involved and effect change.

I wouldn't want to do it as the criticism doesn't seem worth the time and effort, hats off to those who do
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 1, 2018, 7:50am; Reply: 139
IMHO if people don`t step out from the fanbase and help in anyway they can then based on what we have seen previously the football club will continue to fall behind other clubs. I have no desire to spend my life thumping the keyboard in frustration and anger at all things GTFC but that`s how it`s been for a long while.GTFC do some fantastic things that go under the radar and are not always fully appreciated but the main criticism from the fans is the lack of Oooomph to change anything.The ST being a prime example no drive from the office and no noticeable change in 40 year`s on how they are sold.When fan`s question this the Club seem to take umbrage rather than embrace the idea that actually maybe with some leg work we could sell a greater %.Nobody at GTFC seems to want to do that leg work clearly they read the Fishy so why not answer some questions.Here are 3 reasonable ones......

In the last 40 year`s prior to this Season in relation to ST sales what have those employed in the GTFC ticket office done to try and further increase sales?

GTFC have approx. 7000 seats for home supporters with an average home gate around 4500 what do you think other than obvious on field success you can do to sell those other 2500?

The matchday experience at BP is often diluted by problems with parking.Have the football club ever explored a short/long term solution to this for example a park and ride scheme from what was Pleasure Island?

Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 1, 2018, 1:20pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from barralad

I have never had an issue with Bax and was extremely sorry to see him leave the Trust Board. However he hasn't been formally involved in any of the discussions post-survey  certainly at Board level so I'm unsure where this inference has come from. You probably wouldn't expect me to say any other but the entire Trust board are committed to enacting the findings of the survey.

The survey was pretty clear in showing that the fans want change. They were clear on questions about paying for a seat on the board. It’s also clear from the responses that many people want the Trust to oppose the checkatrade and push for new ownership. How long ago was the survey?

The things that Bax said were never publically addressed by the Trust. How can the Trust be in a position that sees someone at the the club write a statement for the Trust to publish as its own?
Posted by: ska face, August 1, 2018, 1:38pm; Reply: 141

The things that Bax said were never publically addressed by the Trust. How can the Trust be in a position that sees someone at the the club write a statement for the Trust to publish as its own?

I can’t remember that being said. Thought it was more along the lines of the club publishing their own statement without the Trust fully agreeing the wording? Was it the one related to taking the results of the survey forward?

This is why I’ve been asking for more accountability at the club and transparency around the official comms channels...for years.  
Posted by: rancido, August 1, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from 1mickylyons
IMHO if people don`t step out from the fanbase and help in anyway they can then based on what we have seen previously the football club will continue to fall behind other clubs. I have no desire to spend my life thumping the keyboard in frustration and anger at all things GTFC but that`s how it`s been for a long while.GTFC do some fantastic things that go under the radar and are not always fully appreciated but the main criticism from the fans is the lack of Oooomph to change anything.The ST being a prime example no drive from the office and no noticeable change in 40 year`s on how they are sold.When fan`s question this the Club seem to take umbrage rather than embrace the idea that actually maybe with some leg work we could sell a greater %.Nobody at GTFC seems to want to do that leg work clearly they read the Fishy so why not answer some questions.Here are 3 reasonable ones......

In the last 40 year`s prior to this Season in relation to ST sales what have those employed in the GTFC ticket office done to try and further increase sales?

GTFC have approx. 7000 seats for home supporters with an average home gate around 4500 what do you think other than obvious on field success you can do to sell those other 2500?

The matchday experience at BP is often diluted by problems with parking.Have the football club ever explored a short/long term solution to this for example a park and ride scheme from what was Pleasure Island?

A park and ride scheme is normally done to alleviate the problems caused by traffic entering a town or city. All you would be doing in creating such a scheme at the old Pleasure Island site is create more traffic going down North Sea Lane. Also any traffic coming in from the A180 would go past BP to get to a park and ride scheme - a bit silly don't you think! Any park and ride scheme would have to involve a site on one of the main roads entering NE Lincs , which are the A180, A46, A16  or A18. There is no way the club could afford such a scheme on it's own and as such would need council help. And there is no way the council would fund a scheme that would really only benefit the club for 23 occasions a year and that's assuming all those matches would  attract 7,000+ gates to be cost effective. You would still get most local traffic using the surrounding streets and park free as opposed to paying for a park and ride.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 2, 2018, 9:39am; Reply: 143
Quoted from rancido

A park and ride scheme is normally done to alleviate the problems caused by traffic entering a town or city. All you would be doing in creating such a scheme at the old Pleasure Island site is create more traffic going down North Sea Lane. Also any traffic coming in from the A180 would go past BP to get to a park and ride scheme - a bit silly don't you think! Any park and ride scheme would have to involve a site on one of the main roads entering NE Lincs , which are the A180, A46, A16  or A18. There is no way the club could afford such a scheme on it's own and as such would need council help. And there is no way the council would fund a scheme that would really only benefit the club for 23 occasions a year and that's assuming all those matches would  attract 7,000+ gates to be cost effective. You would still get most local traffic using the surrounding streets and park free as opposed to paying for a park and ride.

It was just a large carpark that`s unused rancido the past 2 Seasons I would have suggested the former Ramsdens toystore carpark but a lot of work going on now so that`s out.I still think if it was looked into properly and stagecoach or whoever brought in it might be an option to do a park and ride.The baffling thing is gates are  lower now than in the 80s when huge away followings were commonplace that bumped us up way over 7k where the hell did all the cars go?
Posted by: norfuk mariner, August 2, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 144
In the seventies the cars parked in the side streets such as Bramhall Street. Then there were few car owners who lived there. Today there is one or even two cars at every house!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 2, 2018, 9:59am; Reply: 145
Quoted from norfuk mariner
In the seventies the cars parked in the side streets such as Bramhall Street. Then there were few car owners who lived there. Today there is one or even two cars at every house!

Spot on .You think back to Spurs and an 18k crowd I don`t recall it being the hassle to get away afterwards it is when you have 5-6k now?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 2, 2018, 10:30am; Reply: 146
Quoted from ska face

I can’t remember that being said. Thought it was more along the lines of the club publishing their own statement without the Trust fully agreeing the wording? Was it the one related to taking the results of the survey forward?

This is why I’ve been asking for more accountability at the club and transparency around the official comms channels...for years.  

I believe you should be looking for the statement clarification on February 2nd. 2 part tweet from the Trust clarifying its own statement.
Posted by: ska face, August 2, 2018, 11:49am; Reply: 147
Right, so you have this clarification...

[tweet]95949639974537216[/tweet]

[tweet]959496428279214080[/tweet]

...relating to this statement (https://t.co/a1RVD3Thkx) ...which is being claimed was written by the club and posted all behind The Chair’s back so that Jon Wood wouldn’t be forced off the club board. Is that right?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 2, 2018, 1:52pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Bigdog

Maybe we should have chosen the multiple administration route that they took and we too could have had some kind of renaissance?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 2, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from ska face
Right, so you have this clarification...

[tweet]95949639974537216[/tweet]

[tweet]959496428279214080[/tweet]

...relating to this statement (https://t.co/a1RVD3Thkx) ...which is being claimed was written by the club and posted all behind The Chair’s back so that Jon Wood wouldn’t be forced off the club board. Is that right?

I believe it is being suggested that the 2 part tweet was written by someone at the club as they were unhappy with the first statement from the Trust. Could Bax confirm this?
Posted by: rancido, August 2, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from 1mickylyons

It was just a large carpark that`s unused rancido the past 2 Seasons I would have suggested the former Ramsdens toystore carpark but a lot of work going on now so that`s out.I still think if it was looked into properly and stagecoach or whoever brought in it might be an option to do a park and ride.The baffling thing is gates are  lower now than in the 80s when huge away followings were commonplace that bumped us up way over 7k where the hell did all the cars go?

I think you , like many others , recall past gates as being a lot higher than they were. Admittedly some matches did attract large crowds but the average gates for the seasons, in the period you mentioned, don't really bear this out. We went into a decline from 1984 and the average gates demonstrate this. 1984/85 average gate 6,640, 1985,86 average gate 5,157 , 1986/87 average gate 5,050, 1987/88 average gate 3,416 and 1988/89 average gate 4,302. Even in the 90's we only managed one season with an average gate over 7,000 and that was 1990/91 ( 7237 )  Then they progressively drop until we get  to 1998/99 when we went back to Championship level but that only went up to 6,681. Admittedly the ground capacity was reduced for the 1995/96 season to 8686 ( from 16,116). In fact our gates have wildly fluctuated since the mid 60's when averages were only in the low 4,000's.

As far as the parking is concerned, car ownership has greatly increased over the last 30 years .I would imagine  nearly all the householders in the streets surrounding BP will be car owners now but that wouldn't have been the case 30 years ago. Also a lot of away fans would have come by train or coach.

Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 3, 2018, 7:39am; Reply: 151
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

I think you , like many others , recall past gates as being a lot higher than they were. Admittedly some matches did attract large crowds but the average gates for the seasons, in the period you mentioned, don't really bear this out. We went into a decline from 1984 and the average gates demonstrate this. 1984/85 average gate 6,640, 1985,86 average gate 5,157 , 1986/87 average gate 5,050, 1987/88 average gate 3,416 and 1988/89 average gate 4,302. Even in the 90's we only managed one season with an average gate over 7,000 and that was 1990/91 ( 7237 )  Then they progressively drop until we get  to 1998/99 when we went back to Championship level but that only went up to 6,681. Admittedly the ground capacity was reduced for the 1995/96 season to 8686 ( from 16,116). In fact our gates have wildly fluctuated since the mid 60's when averages were only in the low 4,000's.

As far as the parking is concerned, car ownership has greatly increased over the last 30 years .I would imagine  nearly all the householders in the streets surrounding BP will be car owners now but that wouldn't have been the case 30 years ago. Also a lot of away fans would have come by train or coach.

You are correct about the average gate but always 2-3 games a season it would leap above 10k and it was never as difficult as today getting away after the game.
Posted by: rancido, August 3, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 152
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You are correct about the average gate but always 2-3 games a season it would leap above 10k and it was never as difficult as today getting away after the game.

It's like I said, there are more car owners now locally and therefore harder to find a space closer to the ground. Also more away fans come by car. If you factor in how busy Cleethorpes/Grimsby road has become since the A180 was built then it's understandable why it takes longer to get away from the ground.
Posted by: Croxton, August 3, 2018, 1:45pm; Reply: 153
For us exiles Grimsby Road is not the problem. Falling asleep at the wheel driving back home on the boring M18 is the risk unless I down half a flask of coffee before setting off. Raging at the inanities of post match interviews helps and then switching to Radio Sheffield 'Praise and grumble' when RH signal dies gets me home safe.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 7, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Croxton
For us exiles Grimsby Road is not the problem. Falling asleep at the wheel driving back home on the boring M18 is the risk unless I down half a flask of coffee before setting off. Raging at the inanities of post match interviews helps and then switching to Radio Sheffield 'Praise and grumble' when RH signal dies gets me home safe.

Might give that a go.... although I do like the Northern Soul slot that follows after Matt Dean has hung up his mike

Keep the Faith with RH or not... decisions, decisions  ;)

Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 7:35pm